Who are you voting for? (was BS Straw Poll)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

For whom will you vote on Nov 2 2004?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:40 pm

George W. Bush
21%
John Kerry
51%
Ralph Nader
1%
Undecided
4%
All others (Libertarian, Green, etc)
8%
Registered, but won't vote
5%
Unregistered US citizen
3%
Not a US citizen
7%

Total votes: 151

Kraken

Who are you voting for? (was BS Straw Poll)

Post by Kraken »

I'm a little surprised nobody's done this. The question is simple: For whom do you intend to vote on Nov 2?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Surprise, surprise. :P
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Kerry is PWNING with 50% of the votes!

Of course, only 10 people have voted......
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Why isn't there a cephalopod candidate? :D
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Because the cephalopods would run away with it. Guaranteed.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. You just said John Kerry has no bones.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
hodge313

Post by hodge313 »

Our votes are meaningless. It's the Brutesquad electors that have the real power.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I voted Bush... but that's my wife's vote. ;)

In other news I just got a letter today saying that my conditional status has is being removed from my Greencard. Next step, become one of the Americans. Than there will be no stopping my endless power.
setaside

Post by setaside »

Austin wrote:I voted Bush... but that's my wife's vote. ;)

In other news I just got a letter today saying that my conditional status has is being removed from my Greencard. Next step, become one of the Americans. Than there will be no stopping my endless power.
Just curious, Austin, where are you from originally?
CSL

Post by CSL »

Not a US citizen.

If it was between Kerry or Bush it would be Kerry but I don't really see either of them being "presidential" material.

Perhaps the Green party however, I voted Green in the last Canadian election (first after I turned 18 :-) ).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Count me as a moderate Republican for Kerry. What frightens me is that President George W. Bush makes his decisions solely based on convictions and not without thought. His view of economics and education is so narrow-mindedly doctrinal that it's just plain wrong. His grandstanding on the "war on terror" and "at least you know where I stand" is purely a political ploy when it's clear that Vice President Cheney and other members of the cabinet were looking for an excuse to invade Iraq and "finish the job" left undone. For the very same reasons that I supported President G.H.W. Bush's invasion of Iraq, I condemn President G.W. Bush. It's like saying "I may have run the bus into a brick wall, but I didn't blink when I did it." Plus, the President's tax policy has created more complexity and loopholes in the tax code (and as a trust/tax lawyer, I deal with this every day) at the same time that the government sector and the deficit are growing at an astounding rate. Add to that the level of paranoia that has run rampant in the current Bush administration, and I truly fear where the country would be after another 4 years.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow, a Kerry landslide so far. I didn't realize this forum had such a pronounced tilt.
setaside

Post by setaside »

Ironrod wrote:Wow, a Kerry landslide so far. I didn't realize this forum had such a pronounced tilt.
I think in general, it's always had a pronounced tilt, it's just that there are enough vocal conservatives to make it appear as though there is a closer split.

Either that or the fact that some of our conservative friends just haven't found us yet.
Unbreakable

Post by Unbreakable »

Next time Bush says "At least you know where I stand", I would love it if somebody were to stand up and yell "And where is that?". For somebody with such a allegedly clear stance on things, there sure is a huge divide between what he says and what he does.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Unbreakable wrote:Next time Bush says "At least you know where I stand", I would love it if somebody were to stand up and yell "And where is that?". For somebody with such a allegedly clear stance on things, there sure is a huge divide between what he says and what he does.
It's like Jon Stewart's line on Crossfire: "I've heard President Bush describe his record -- his record doesn't match his record."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

setaside wrote:
Ironrod wrote:Wow, a Kerry landslide so far. I didn't realize this forum had such a pronounced tilt.
I think in general, it's always had a pronounced tilt, it's just that there are enough vocal conservatives to make it appear as though there is a closer split.

Either that or the fact that some of our conservative friends just haven't found us yet.
They're too busy refusing to admit GG is over. They are conservative, after all!
godzy

Post by godzy »

Eduardo X wrote:
setaside wrote:

They're too busy refusing to admit GG is over. They are conservative, after all!
We're still using mail-in magazine polls and liking it by golly! :D
WPD

Post by WPD »

Had to go with "all others" as in any vote that doesn't count I gotta represent for my man Micheal Anthony Peroutka.

With a office down the road from where I worked over the summer, a fake vote for him is a vote for my local economy! Right?
Vegetable Man

Post by Vegetable Man »

Had to go with 'registered, but won't vote'. In the end, though, there's a slight possibility that I may go with one of the many 3rd party candidates.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

What frightens me is that President George W. Bush makes his decisions solely based on convictions and not without thought.
(Emphasis mine)
I think that's a little unfair. Even if you disagree with his convictions or the role they play in his decision making, I don't think it's giving him enough credit to say that they are the sole basis for any and all decisions he makes.
Austin

Post by Austin »

setaside wrote:
Austin wrote:I voted Bush... but that's my wife's vote. ;)

Just curious, Austin, where are you from originally?
I'm from Canada, they think I'm slow eh.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Not a US Citizen but I'd vote Kerry to get Bush out of office. ;)
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Let me just say that I don't think either of the two main candidates are pandering to the gamer/forum user demographic nearly enough.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't believe we are half way into October and I am still undecided. This is definately a first for me. I ususally know right out of the gate exactly where I stand, and you should see the guilt trip I get for not adamantly supporting Kerry, as if that would somehow make me magically excited about voting for that dipstick.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Registered, not voting (for president). I am voting for everything from VP on down, with special attention to local judicial offices. But I'll either throw my presidential vote at a loser (Green, Lib, etc) or skip it altogether.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Which VP are you voting for?

Ale
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Registered, but won't vote. Terminal laziness coupled with the fact that I lack motivation (more terminal laziness).

They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time...
Black Lives Matter
Al

Post by Al »

You can vote for a VP? I thought the President and VP were a package.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Al wrote:You can vote for a VP? I thought the President and VP were a package.
That's what you're supposed to think. The VP is an elected office, the same as any other elected office. But who you vote for for VP matters even less than who you vote for for president.

I don't know which one I'll vote for, probably Edwards because with him in office, that's 1 less trial lawyer out there. And with Cheney out of office, that's one more old bastard of a thief back in the business world. Good for the economy all around. :twisted:
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

If you're not going to vote for Pres, please vote for someone, even if it's a write-in or a throwaway. Otherwise, some trial lawyer like Edwards can claim on your behalf that you were disenfranchised because you obviously wanted to vote for someone but your vote didn't get counted. Of course, since ballots aren't traceable to voters, you can't stand up and correct the lie.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Last edited by Defiant on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al

Post by Al »

Huh. Maybe we should start a movement to have a split party ticket.

Kerry/Cheney in '04!
Vote Bush/Edwards!
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm glad someone else asked about the "being able to vote for VP" thing. I wanted to ask, but didn't want to look stupid, especially since I'm not a regular (or even semi-regular) poster here. (Although I do lurk).
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

You cannot vote simply for vice president. In truth, you do not vote for president, but for a slate of electors, which are pledged to support a particular person for president and a particular person for vice president. The same electors who vote for president vote for vice president, so there is no way to cast a vote for vice president.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Dramatist wrote:Let me just say that I don't think either of the two main candidates are pandering to the gamer/forum user demographic nearly enough.
:)

Is it me, or do these emoticons look sort of poindexterish? Dare I say it, effeminate? Not at all like the tough guy emoticons we used to have. Those guys could have emoted from the pages of a James Ellroy novel.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tareeq,

I fear you insecure about smiley masculinity. The next thing you know you are going to want bigger smileys.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

<bump> to compete with Kael's thread. Nothing personal, Kael, but yours doesn't have enough options.

This one shows where OO's sympathies lie.
Kael

Post by Kael »

Ironrod wrote:<bump> to compete with Kael's thread. Nothing personal, Kael, but yours doesn't have enough options.

This one shows where OO's sympathies lie.
No hard feelings, I agree. Could you rename the thread to something more specific, I skip by it everytime I look for it.

I do wonder why the OO demographic seems so Kerry biased. Espesially since our largest slant (male/female) is supposed to be towards Bush. Do you think the typical OO age group favors Kerry? Do geeks favor Kerry? Or are those more likely to do independant reading and talk politics more likely to favor Kerry?

Would this poll have a different result if it was posted in the Everything but Gaming forum?
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

CSL wrote:If it was between Kerry or Bush it would be Kerry but I don't really see either of them being "presidential" material.
I am a US citizen, and unfortunately I agree with you a hundred percent.

Neither guy makes me feel as if we're going to elect a good president come November 2nd. I just choose Kerry because I enjoy the civil liberties granted to citizens by the Constitution. I don't know if Kerry will trod on those liberties, but I know Bush's track record.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kael wrote: No hard feelings, I agree. Could you rename the thread to something more specific, I skip by it everytime I look for it.

I do wonder why the OO demographic seems so Kerry biased. (...)
Would this poll have a different result if it was posted in the Everything but Gaming forum?
Renamed as requested. I did post a link to this thread in EBG once, and got a wave of about 50 additional votes. It didn't change the overall trajectory.

I don't know why the forum tilts so far to the Dems -- or at least, anti-Bush, which is what this election is really about. There are a lot of Bush bashers in here, but I don't know how many of them you'd call "Kerry supporters."

Maybe you could start a poll along those lines. "Which statement is most true of yourself? -I support Bush -I support Kerry -I oppose Bush -I oppose Kerry -I oppose both Bush & Kerry -None of the above". Or something like that.