2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

George Tenet: Medal of Freedom winner

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Exodor

George Tenet: Medal of Freedom winner

Post by Exodor »

Am I the only one outraged that the man who called the WMD intelligence a "Slam Dunk" received the highest possible civilian honer from the President?

Medal of Freedom for key figures in Iraq war

Washington -- President Bush bestowed the nation's highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Tuesday on three of the central architects and executors of the war in Iraq,
Tenet's assessments of Iraq's unconventional weapons, and the huge gaps in America's intelligence system, became the focus of investigations into how the president and his administration built a case for war. Bush made no mention of that or of the shake-up at the CIA after Tenet's departure, but he praised him as "one of the first to recognize and address the growing threat to America from radical terrorist networks."

Tenet should have been fired months ago - instead, he receives the Medal of Freedom? :x :roll:

Giving Bremer the award is only slightly less assinine:
Inside the White House, there is still significant debate about Bremer's judgments, including his decisions to disband the defeated Iraqi army and to pursue an aggressive policy of "de-Baathification," the broad exclusion of former Baath Party members from the newly reconstituted interim government. Those moves are widely regarded as fundamental mistakes that alienated hundreds of thousands of armed and unemployed troops, some of whom joined the insurgency.
WAW

Post by WAW »

You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
malchior

Post by malchior »

We won the war?!? Dear God what is going on....
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Giving him the Medal of Freedom is a play move. Bush is trying to show that he didnt force him to leave or resign. Honestly it makes Bush look a bit better to some eyes but this is totally stupid. Give it to someone that actually earned it instead of a uninformed ex-CIA director that had no idea what was going on, please!
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Absolutely, fucking ridiculous.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Poleaxe wrote:Absolutely, fucking ridiculous.
Not when the first virtue is loyalty to the President. Tenet fell on his sword and helped save Bush when the WMD fallout hit home. He took the blame and went quietly at the best time for his re-election campaign. That's worth a medal of freedom any day.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Poleaxe wrote:Absolutely, fucking ridiculous.
Not when the first virtue is loyalty to the President. Tenet fell on his sword and helped save Bush when the WMD fallout hit home. He took the blame and went quietly at the best time for his re-election campaign. That's worth a medal of freedom any day.
Perhaps.
CSL

Post by CSL »

I thought John Stewart aptly put it last night on the Daily Show saying to the effect.

"Yesterday former CIA chief George Tenet was in Washington with retired general Tommy Frank and Paul Bremer. Tenet famously declared that the case for WMD was a slam dunk, and today President Bush was to address this failure."

<cut to video of Bush giving medal>

"Whaaaaaaa..........a medal? That had better be a medal of shame."

Really though he's currently losing his voice he is still on top of the game, oh seems on the site you can see the whole skit.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The Mad Hatter wrote: Not when the first virtue is loyalty to the President. Tenet fell on his sword and helped save Bush when the WMD fallout hit home. He took the blame and went quietly at the best time for his re-election campaign. That's worth a medal of freedom any day.
But shouldn't some things be free of politics?

We're not talking about W simply talking up Tenet, praising his accomplishments and dedication.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the highest possible civilian honor. It would be like giving the Nobel Peace Prize to Arafat or something (wait - bad example. :wink: ) I think that's why some who generally support the administration, like Poleaxe, can agree that Bush's action here is simply disgraceful.

A brief history of the award:
The Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award, recognizes exceptional meritorious service. The medal was established by President Truman in 1945 to recognize notable service in the war. In 1963, President Kennedy reintroduced it as an honor for distinguished civilian service in peacetime.

A quick google search reveals the 2002 recipients of the award, a list that includes Nelson Mandela and Hank Aaron. In 1985, Reagan gave it to figures like Count Basie, Chuck Yeager, and Frank Sinatra (and Jeanne Kirkpatrick :roll: ). I'm searching, but I cannot find another example of this award being used in such a blatantly political manner. Of course, it appears Bush not only abused the award in an attempt to put a better face on the Iraq war, but also totally ignored the fact that it was intended to award civilian service in peacetime.

:x
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

The Bush Administration is all about politics. Is there anything that Rove won't do?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Oh, good God. As Andrew Sullivan pointed out, there's another winner of this award:

Donald Rumsfeld, in 1977.

:roll:
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

I'm outraged at the morons we have running this war. and the fact tenet got that award. Great job before 2001 Tenet!