Solar Power. Talk to me.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Solar Power. Talk to me.

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:15 pm
Formix wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:09 pm And we're live! Now let the obsessive monitoring begin!
Nice. Unfortunately, at least in my area, this is the 'oh, I produced something? Yay!' time of year.

Update on my 2nd install: after Xcel finally got me my meter installed nearly two months after the system was ready, it became clear that I hit the bad end of the bathtub curb on my SolarEdge inverter. So that had to have a warranty replacement ordered. I should finally be producing later this week when that issue is rectified.

Talk about a frustrating process this time around...
Since my 2nd system didn't get fully up and running until late last year, we're just now seeing the first days where production is looking good. Yesterday I saw 21.6 kWh from my old (south/west-facing) system, and 16 kWh from the new (north/east-facing), for a total of 37.6 kWh. Meager relative to many systems, but my all-time best day with the single system was 30.3 kWh, which was obviously a summer day. +24% over my previous best day, for a day in early March, meets my expectations.

Will be interesting to see what the summer looks like. Based on the ratio of 21.6 to 30.3, this would imply that on the best days I'll see ~ 50 kWh, with a year-round average of 25 kWh, about 2/3 higher than my prior numbers. Works for me given the sub-optimal (to put it mildly) orientation of these roof faces.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:15 pm Yesterday I saw 21.6 kWh from my old (south/west-facing) system, and 16 kWh from the new (north/east-facing), for a total of 37.6 kWh.
Ours is a 8.91 kW system, so pretty close to yours. We were at 35.6 kWh yesterday, which is about right for a sunny day this time of year. We have 27 panels, but only 12 of them are on a south-facing roof (north and south panels are on their own inverters, but it doesn't tell me how much each inverter produced individually).
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:15 pm Will be interesting to see what the summer looks like. Based on the ratio of 21.6 to 30.3, this would imply that on the best days I'll see ~ 50 kWh,
I know in the summer we've definitely gone over 50 kWh on any given sunny day, so you shouldn't have any trouble cracking that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Very close to ours--combined, my nameplate capacity would be 8.92. For me, though, the issue is that 1/4 of my system is facing pretty much due north. We'll see how it goes. A 25 kWh average (vs my old 15) would be fine.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:21 pm Very close to ours--combined, my nameplate capacity would be 8.92. For me, though, the issue is that 1/4 of my system is facing pretty much due north. We'll see how it goes. A 25 kWh average (vs my old 15) would be fine.
As gilraen said, more than half of ours face due north. Our south-facing roof has the vents, so we lost a few panels. The south-facing side produces way more than half (of course) of our energy. So if 3/4 of your panels face south, you should be pretty good. Of course, is some of those are south-east or south-west facing, then that will modify the numbers some.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:22 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:21 pm Very close to ours--combined, my nameplate capacity would be 8.92. For me, though, the issue is that 1/4 of my system is facing pretty much due north. We'll see how it goes. A 25 kWh average (vs my old 15) would be fine.
As gilraen said, more than half of ours face due north. Our south-facing roof has the vents, so we lost a few panels. The south-facing side produces way more than half (of course) of our energy. So if 3/4 of your panels face south, you should be pretty good. Of course, is some of those are south-east or south-west facing, then that will modify the numbers some.
Mine are on four more or less equal faces, so only 1/4 are south.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:24 pm
Ah. Yeah.

If it helps, our south face is currently generating ~1200W from the 12 panels and ~250W from the north-facing 15 panels. So it looks like we get somewhere around 6:1, south vs north. Depending on how much direct sun your east and west ones get, you should be able to easily hit your average.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:33 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:24 pm
Ah. Yeah.

If it helps, our south face is currently generating ~1200W from the 12 panels and ~250W from the north-facing 15 panels. So it looks like we get somewhere around 6:1, south vs north. Depending on how much direct sun your east and west ones get, you should be able to easily hit your average.
There's also the fact that the sun moves over the course of the day, so a point-in-time view on production doesn't tell the whole story--the south will see its best production earlier in the day than the north will.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Over 40 kWh today. Sweet.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, I finally did it--latest electricity bill is -$31.58. First time we're negative since moving both cars to electric. All it took was a very sunny month and a pandemic.

More people should really do this.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 pm Well, I finally did it--latest electricity bill is -$31.58. First time we're negative since moving both cars to electric. All it took was a very sunny month and a pandemic.

I really want to but I have some issues preventing it. But then again even though we're working from home nearly 100% we spent about $40 on gas over the last two months and the electricity bill wasn't that much higher.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Well, you made me look. I haven't been keeping track. Looks like averaging 45k per day, with about 65 last Sunday. C'mon sunshine!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 pm
I would need to more than triple my electricity consumption before there's even a chance I'll break even at any point during the life of the system. I think my electric bill was $58 last month.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Okay. So, I finally got a company out to my house to talk about solar power. Waiting for them to send me all the information that we talked about. But basically, they are willing to finance the entire system at 2.2% for 25 years. 30-year warranty on all the panels, but only 10 on the inverter and back-up power supply. There is a 24% (I think that is what he said, will have to wait for paperwork he is emailing to me), that is factored into the cost.

I use 40,000 Kw? again have to learn the units and everything, a year currently. We are 100% electrical house with Geo Thermal for heating and cooling. So here are my questions:

1) They said that they base everything off 4 hours of sunlight a day. He said I would get 8 hours a day with ground mounted south facing units? True/False?
2) Since they base it on 4/hrs day, the unit is only guaranteed to produce 20,000 Kw annually. But if we get the 8/hrs. day then it would produce the 40,000 KW I need. A little worried there, since contractually they would only be bound to providing 1/2 the power I need.
3) My budget for electricity a month is 400. The financing for the solar power equipment/installation/permits, etc. is 370 for 25 years. I can pay it off early, with no penalties. So that would be a constant, and even with a small occasional electrical bill, I would be making money in the long run.
4) 30-year warranty? Is that good?
5) Currently in Ohio, I cannot "sell" my electricity back for cash, but I would get credit for it against my bill. So okay, not bad if it works out.
6) He implied that solar power added value to the house, he said something like 80k increase in value, I think that might be high, but what has everyone else experienced?
7) Any questions that I should be asking?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome that you're getting close.
RMC wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:34 pm Okay. So, I finally got a company out to my house to talk about solar power. Waiting for them to send me all the information that we talked about. But basically, they are willing to finance the entire system at 2.2% for 25 years. 30-year warranty on all the panels, but only 10 on the inverter and back-up power supply. There is a 24% (I think that is what he said, will have to wait for paperwork he is emailing to me), that is factored into the cost.
Federal ITC is 26% this year, drops again if the system isn't installed by 12/31.
I use 40,000 Kw? again have to learn the units and everything, a year currently. We are 100% electrical house with Geo Thermal for heating and cooling. So here are my questions:
Holy shit, that's a lot of power. :) Somewhere around 2x my home, and I have 2 electric cars (but also don't have my hot water on electric, and about half my heat is gas). Units are kWh (kilowatt-hours) for energy production, Watts for power rating/production.
1) They said that they base everything off 4 hours of sunlight a day. He said I would get 8 hours a day with ground mounted south facing units? True/False?
My advice is to not think about it this way--it complicates things needlessly. They should have given you an estimate of your annual production, ideally based on the PVWatts calculation from NREL. Assume that this will be pretty accurate, and don't worry about the finer details, especially since you aren't (it sounds like) going to be net metering or finessing things in a time-of-use plan where the finer details might matter.

Compare what it should produce annually to what you use annually and go from there.

2) Since they base it on 4/hrs day, the unit is only guaranteed to produce 20,000 Kw annually. But if we get the 8/hrs. day then it would produce the 40,000 KW I need. A little worried there, since contractually they would only be bound to providing 1/2 the power I need.
There is no chance they gave you an estimate that could be off by 100% (if they are a reputable company). Again, take the PVWatts estimate and use that.
3) My budget for electricity a month is 400. The financing for the solar power equipment/installation/permits, etc. is 370 for 25 years. I can pay it off early, with no penalties. So that would be a constant, and even with a small occasional electrical bill, I would be making money in the long run.
Sounds good to me, esp if you pay it down early. Once you have an electric bill close to zero is when it gets fun.
4) 30-year warranty? Is that good?
I haven't seen more than that. 'Normal' when I was looking was 20-25 years for the panels, 10+ for the inverter.
5) Currently in Ohio, I cannot "sell" my electricity back for cash, but I would get credit for it against my bill. So okay, not bad if it works out.
So long as you are not overproducing, that should be fine, I'd think.
6) He implied that solar power added value to the house, he said something like 80k increase in value, I think that might be high, but what has everyone else experienced?
You'll get lots of opinions on this. The short summary of my own research is while the system is not fully owned by you (with no payments), it will not be a net positive in home value. Once it's paid off, it will be.
7) Any questions that I should be asking?
I would nail down their estimate. I have two separate systems on my roof from 2 companies (a local and Tesla). In both cases they gave me an estimate that proved remarkably accurate for annual production.

You should also understand how you will monitor the system. Each inverter manufacturer handles this differently. Tesla and Enphase (my systems) both have decent systems. So does SolarEdge. Make sure you will be able to monitor the system reliably, preferably at the panel level (so you can spot any that might need replacing rather than wondering why your system seems to be producing less and not being able to look deeper than that).

One thing that is definitely not needed but that I love about the Tesla system is that they also install CTs in your panel to monitor consumption. So not only can I see what I"m producing, but what I'm using, the net in/out each day, etc.

I would also look at the costs not only relative to your electric bill (which is a good thing to do to make sure the system makes sense at a high level) but also at the $/W level for an absolute comparison as to whether the system is priced well or not. After ITC, your $/W these days should probably be below $2.50, and could be below $2 (Tesla is the cost leader and is more like $1.50, though I am not necessarily recommending you go there). Note that this is dividing the post-ITC cost of the system by the nameplate capacity of the panels, in W (not the estimated production, which is in Wh). Eg if your system is 30 300W panels, for $18k after credit, your $/W is $18,000 / 9,000 W = $2/W.

Looking at the cost solely relative to your electric bill is like buying a car based on the monthly payment. It works, but you can get taken for a ride.

Hope that helps.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wow. That's a lot of info to parse. Not even sure where to begin...

I'll leave the more technical stuff to our resident gurus. :)

40k kw hours seems high. But you should be able to confirm that by getting the last 12 months of your electric bills. (I assume that's where they got the info.) It's also possible that that amount is skewed right now due to the pandemic and being stuck at home. Our usage for ~2400 sq ft home that heats half with gas was about 11k kw hours. A bigger house... more people living in it (it's just the two of us)... hotter climate (assuming that air conditioning uses more than heating - but I don't know that for a fact).... You could probably get up to 40k. Though it still feels incredibly high to me.

Our system is leased for 20 years. After that they didn't make any promises. So 30 years seems like a bit of a hopeful stretch. But technology improves, so it could be where things are at these days.

I've never heard of basing everything off 4 hours of sunlight. That seems.... odd. Granted, I don't know what kind of math they used for ours on the backend. They took our location into account and determined how much sun we'd likely get and therefore how much power we'd generate. So our system was rated/guaranteed to produce a certain amount (I believe 85% of our requirements). Every 2 years they do an assessment to see how much it actually produced. If it didn't supply at least 90% of the 85% they guaranteed, then they give us some $$. It may be that the final numbers are the same and they are just exposing you to more of the backend computations. But I definitely would only look at what they are guaranteeing. If they say 20k kw, then that's what you should assume. I would definitely not accept "but it could be twice as much". WTF? That sounds like salesman BS.

Based on your numbers, this doesn't seem like a very good deal. You currently budget $400/mo. I assume that covers your costs currently for the year. They want you to sign a contract for $370/mo that only contractually meets 50% of your current costs. Based on that, you'd still need to budget $200/mo to handle the other costs. So now you are looking at $570/mo to meet your same electric needs. If I got that all correct. That seems like a bad deal.

Do not sell your electricity back. That's what they prefer. It's a bad deal. Our electric company tried to pressure us into that option. They wanted to give us somewhere along the lines of $0.015 to $0.02 per kw hour. However, I think the cheapest we can buy electricity, during off-peak, is at least $0.04 per kw hour. And in some cases that spikes up around $0.10 per kw hour at peak times. You definitely want to bank your extra hours for evenings, nights, winter, etc.

I don't know what markets are like in Ohio. But $80k seems way high. I think I was told to expect $20k to $25k around here. Or I could be making that up. But I don't think it would be anywhere near $80k. Unless you found a buyer that HAD TO HAVE SOLAR!!!11!!

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was counting on Zax to get more into the gritty details. :D

Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:01 pm I was counting on Zax to get more into the gritty details. :D
:horse:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:09 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:01 pm I was counting on Zax to get more into the gritty details. :D
:horse:
Though I think we differ on #3 a bit. I hope that's just an interpretation issue. I think we are both in agreement that the two most important pieces of information are 1) how much is the average annual usage, and 2) how much are they contractually guaranteeing. Our system does seem to over-produce; and they told us it might. But I would never have included that into any of my decision making.

So it seems to boil down to whether the system will generate enough energy to cover requirements.

If it does, then
$370 > $400
, go for it!

If it doesn't then you are looking at
$370 + $$ for energy that will need to be purchase ?? $400
That's a much harder thing to determine.

Also, keep in mind that even if you over-generate, you are still going to have an electric bill. There are base connection costs, fees, etc. Even when we over-generate, we still have an electric (with gas) bill of about $25/mo.

Of course, the real unknown is what is going to happen to costs over the next 20-25 years. I will admit to doing a little jig any time I see an update from Excel saying that they are increasing rates.

What I was told is that Excel averages a ~6% increase every year. So based on that, in 10-15 years, my bill is going to be looking a LOT better. :D

Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes, I read that as $370 total, so a decrease from the current elec bill even with financing included. If it's actually a big jump, that's no bueno.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, that is my current big concern that what they promise to generate and what I need and what they said in the contract are all different.

So I think I might need to bring someone else out, that will be honest with the numbers. I mean if it is going to produce what I need, then back it up in the contract. I can't afford to have my electric bill go down by 50%, as that is not enough to offset the expense. I have to replace at least 80%. And yeah, he mentioned that I would have some costs around 10/month for having the electric service. I am going to have to take a look at that on my bill so I know what thaty cost is.

The other thing that didn't sit well with me, was he wanted me to sign on the dotted line today. I never buy something without having time to review things, etc.. So that was also something that was setting off some warning bells.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Warning bells? That a @#$%ing klaxon. I would not trust anyone or any company that used BS pressure tactics on a sale of this magnitude. No way.

Before we signed, our sales person made sure all our questions were answered. And since he'd been with this company for less than a year (but in the industry for almost 2 decades), he even got his manager on the phone a couple of times to answer questions.

Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Klaxons for sure. I would get another local quote or two, and would probably also put your info into the Tesla site to get their pricing.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:55 pm Klaxons for sure. I would get another local quote or two, and would probably also put your info into the Tesla site to get their pricing.
Yeah, Tesla is not in my area. But the cost that they are quoting me is like 25k(after incentives). Thats for 16.32 kW Solar Panels and 4 powerwalls for battery back-up.

So not at all what the guy was saying, and he still has not sent me the information, so I am now not sure what is going on. Told him I needed to see everything.
Looks like there might be a Tesla Vendor in Ohio..
https://moxiesolar.com/locations/ohio-s ... LgQAvD_BwE
Last edited by RMC on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I tossed a roofer for that, "sign today," bullshit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RMC wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:12 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:55 pm Klaxons for sure. I would get another local quote or two, and would probably also put your info into the Tesla site to get their pricing.
Yeah, Tesla is not in my area. But the cost that they are quoting me is like 25k(after incentives). Thats for 16.32 kW Solar Panels and 4 powerwalls for battery back-up.

So not at all what the guy was saying, and he still has not sent me the information, so I am now not sure what is going on. Told him I needed to see everything.
I am sure that did not include Powerwalls.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:15 pm
RMC wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:12 pm

I am sure that did not include Powerwalls.
Not sure, the solar panels were 25k and the power walls were 22k, and 9k in discounts/incentives. But it's just a website thing, so not sure it really was doing what I wanted it too.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:14 pm I tossed a roofer for that, "sign today," bullshit.
Yeah, learned a long time ago, that if you want to have me make a decision today, right this second, especially for large amounts of money, then I will not do it. It might even be the deal of the century, but if it is, then offer it to me when I am ready to buy and am informed. :)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You got some great info in your responses already (hat tip, other ColOOrodan purveyors of the solar).

We recently completed year 1 of our installation's power-on date. Our production was... 7/8ths of what we were told to expect. I waited that full year before I filled out online reviews for our company, and I took into account that their marketing team either provided inflated numbers or that they undersold us on the Y/Y variability. That got their attention (as I knew it would) and created a bit of back and forth, but nothing concrete was forthcoming. They did verify (to the extent they can, though the Enphase software) that our system was generating with no issues, and blamed the weather. We did have significant snow this last winter and had snow on the panels for significant amounts of time, and our Year 1 date did include the effects of the wildfires (which we confirmed to bring down our generation). I have no doubt that weather provides meaningful variability (but can it really reduce a system by a month-and-a-half's worth of expected generation in a year?).

Definitely track down multiple bids on your system. Energysage is a terrific website to answer many of your questions. I'd echo the distrust in their marketing a system to you based on sunlight-hours-per day at your location.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
RMC

Post by RMC »

The Meal wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:16 am You got some great info in your responses already (hat tip, other ColOOrodan purveyors of the solar).

We recently completed year 1 of our installation's power-on date. Our production was... 7/8ths of what we were told to expect. I waited that full year before I filled out online reviews for our company, and I took into account that their marketing team either provided inflated numbers or that they undersold us on the Y/Y variability. That got their attention (as I knew it would) and created a bit of back and forth, but nothing concrete was forthcoming. They did verify (to the extent they can, though the Enphase software) that our system was generating with no issues, and blamed the weather. We did have significant snow this last winter and had snow on the panels for significant amounts of time, and our Year 1 date did include the effects of the wildfires (which we confirmed to bring down our generation). I have no doubt that weather provides meaningful variability (but can it really reduce a system by a month-and-a-half's worth of expected generation in a year?).

Definitely track down multiple bids on your system. Energysage is a terrific website to answer many of your questions. I'd echo the distrust in their marketing a system to you based on sunlight-hours-per day at your location.
OH, something else he said. I live in Ohio, and I asked about snow covering the panels and lowering the production. He told me that as heat was a byproduct of the panels, that they would always clear themselves, and snow covering them would never be an issue. That sounds fishy to me as well, so was that a white lie as well?

Also, he did send me the proposal, and it does only show 1/2 what I need and from what I am seeing here, that is most likely the max I would ever get, and not to expect 2X that. So on the proposal, it shows 370, plus an expectation of 100/month in electric bills. So I would be $70 more expensive month over month for 25 years by his own proposal. Assuming my 400 budget, but some months I don't come anywhere near that and other months I am over that, usually in the heat of summer when AC jacks up the cost of running my Geothermal units(I have 2 Geothermal units).

Let me get at least one more person out here, I think losing the 4% credit while annoying, is not the end of the world if it means getting a system here that will meet my needs, or at least offset the electrical expense.

Thanks everyone! Really great info. And if anyone is really a glutten for punishment and wants to see the PDF proposal that they sent me, just IM me with an email, and I'll send to you. Nothing on there that is anything I wouldn't share. Heck, I'll seend you my address so you can look at my roof from the sky if you want. :)
Thanks again! Some really outstanding information.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

RMC wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:23 am OH, something else he said. I live in Ohio, and I asked about snow covering the panels and lowering the production. He told me that as heat was a byproduct of the panels, that they would always clear themselves, and snow covering them would never be an issue. That sounds fishy to me as well, so was that a white lie as well?
It's true that the solar panels will heat up more quickly than the rest of your roof (as the next door neighbors found out when the snow/ice cleared off their panels in a giant avalanche of a sheet — right onto the cover of their hot tub), but it's not true that they'd always clean themselves off. However, if you're getting a ground-level installation ( :wub: ), then you can do the dirty work yourself, so maybe not as big of a deal. The guidance is to consider how long an unmoved car parked in your neighborhood typically has snow piled on top of it — that's about what you should expect for
snow coverage on your panels.

We did have an uncharacteristically cold winter here, and we had one span of about 3 weeks of no generation (along with a few other storms) so I'm optimistic that we'll see more generation in year 2 (though the panels do slowly degrade, ours are rated at < 0.5% degradation Y/Y, which adds up over the 30-year life of the panels).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Our experience with snow.... Taking into account that our roof is relatively steep - I don't know what the slope of Ohio roofs is, but if it's more gradual, then I'd expect snow to stay longer.

Ours definitely do clear on their own. As The Meal noted, we now have big chunks of snow slide off periodically. I try to remember to pay attention when I have to walk outside under the overhang. Some of those chunks are big and come down fast.

That said, depending on the amount of snow and the overall temperature, it can take 2-4 days to clear. Additionally, in our case, the inverters are powered by the panels, so until the panels are making enough juice, we won't get any generation. I've noticed that it can take up to another day after it seems like all the snow has slid off before we start seeing power again.

Black Lives Matter

RMC

Post by RMC »

So did anyone ever give you a reference, or did any of you ask for one? I asked the company that gave me the quote if they had any customers willing to talk to me about the experience, and he said he is not allowed too give out customer information. So I am writing them off, if they can't even give me a satisfied customer to talk to me about the experience. I mean 100k is a lot of money to go into blind. But wondering if this is a normal thing for the industry.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah. We both got offered references and asked if we would be references (though I suspect that ship has sailed).

Our sales rep actually lives in the neighborhood. He walked with us up a couple of blocks to talk to one of his other clients.

I won't go so far as to say your rep is full of @#$% since it's possible that his company is just bad, but there should be nothing to prevent them giving you a person's first name and phone number.

Black Lives Matter

RMC

Post by RMC »

TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:54 pm Yeah. We both got offered references and asked if we would be references (though I suspect that ship has sailed).

Our sales rep actually lives in the neighborhood. He walked with us up a couple of blocks to talk to one of his other clients.

I won't go so far as to say your rep is full of @#$% since it's possible that his company is just bad, but there should be nothing to prevent them giving you a person's first name and phone number.
In my book for the type of money that they are asking for, they need at least a single reference for the work they do. Also, he called me Bro in the email back to me. I am almost 50, so Bro I am not. That lost him the sale right there in my book. A proper email ettiquete is required in my book.

Thanks, and I will see about getting a different company out to see what they have to say.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agree that this company seems to carry only flags of a crimson variety.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

One red flag is one thing. Those guys are throwing them all over the place. And I'm with you, I'd have been seriously pissed if my rep had called me 'bro'.

Edit: Actually, for clarity, I don't like it when anyone calls me 'bro'. Period. I might make an exception for my brothers, but neither of them would do that.

Black Lives Matter

Ænima

Post by Ænima »

TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm One red flag is one thing. Those guys are throwing them all over the place. And I'm with you, I'd have been seriously pissed if my rep had called me 'bro'.

Edit: Actually, for clarity, I don't like it when anyone calls me 'bro'. Period. I might make an exception for my brothers, but neither of them would do that.
Don’t move to New Zealand then, bro 😂.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ahh, the summer months with a largeish PV system and heat pump instead of AC...

In addition to the zero-dollar electricity bill, $50+ in credits added to the solar bank to be used in the winter. Not bad considering our roof isn't that big and this covers the house and two vehicles' fuel.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I still don't meet the $100/mo average electric bill to make solar a viable option. Some people in the hood do, though, and have their roofs festooned with solar panels. Not a one can tell me what happens 20 years from now when the lease expires and the equipment is most certainly obsolete.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:31 pm I still don't meet the $100/mo average electric bill to make solar a viable option. Some people in the hood do, though, and have their roofs festooned with solar panels. Not a one can tell me what happens 20 years from now when the lease expires and the equipment is most certainly obsolete.
The panels should produce around 80% of new at 25 years. Slow burn from there. So yeah, obsolete vs new stuff at that time, but will continue producing for a very long time.