Home Theatre help needed! Updated 12/23 - lokiju's HDTV buy!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

lokiju

Home Theatre help needed! Updated 12/23 - lokiju's HDTV buy!

Post by lokiju »

Hi all. The wife and I want to get a home surround sound system as our Xmas gift to ourselves. I have been looking at Best Buy's Deals, and was wondering if you could offer us some advice? The Samsung - 630W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System looks nice, heh. :shock: I was hoping for remote satellites, but not even sure if they are worth it? We would be willing to pay a nice chunk of change, but definitely under $1000, preferably under $500 if that would be good enough for the average enthusiast.

We appreciate any help!

Also, Circuit City Has some deals...
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Hsu Research

I've read nothing but great reviews for this system. It's only downside is that placement is very important, so you wouldn't want to get this set if you have a really big den. But if you do have a big den you're going to need to spend more than $1000. There are plenty of good receivers for less than $500, but I would stick with a company that has a good standalone line and not just system in a box stuff. Sony and Kenwood are very good for the money.[/url]
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

From that link you provided, I have the Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver, which is excellent (6.1 DTS, etc), and I also have Onkyo 6.1 surround speakers with 150w sub, which I also got from CC, but they don't seem to carry anymore. They are great too, and I'm really happy with the overall performance of my HT stuff.

Are you in an apartment/condo, or a house? If it's a house, spend more and get more since you can crank it. If an apartment, I wouldn't spend too much, since you really won't be able to take advantage of them without pissing off the neighbors.

* Get a good receiver with plenty of A/V inputs. Make sure it has optical audio inputs.

* get a good subwoofer. some HT speaker kits will skimp on sub quality.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I've decided there are really two groups of home theater shoppers. There are those for whom movies are a pleasant diversion and who want surround sound but aren't really picky, and are very price sensitive. Then there are those for whom home theater is more serious, who want a solid performing system built from good components, and are willing to pay for what that costs.

If you're the former, look for a good 60W-70W (per channel) Yamaha or Onkyo receiver in the $300 range and then look at a speaker system line like Paradigm Cinemas or JBL Northridge. You can get a complete speaker setup from one of these companies for $500-$800.

If you're willing to get into the latter group, look at nicer 80W-100W per channel receivers from Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, or Marantz. Sony and Pioneer make decent models at this level as well. You can start looking at a much wider array of speakers such as Klipsch, B&W, Energy, Axiom, and about 35 others. This will easily get beyond your budget, though. Expect to start at $1500-$2000 in this area.

$1000 will get you a decent receiver and 5.1 speaker setup (if you go with something like a Yamaha or Onkyo receiver and a set of Paradigm Cinema 70s). $500 will not.

Try to find an A/V Shop nearby, even a chain store like Ultimate Electronics is better than Best Buy or Circuit City. Most of all listen, listen, and listen some more. Don't buy anything blind, no matter how many testimonials or recommendations you get for it. Everyone's tastes are different.

Finally, good places to get recommendations are Home Theater Forum and AVS Forum. I guarantee you that "what's a good HT system for $1000 or less" has been asked at both sites dozens of times.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

McNutt wrote:Hsu Research

I've read nothing but great reviews for this system.
I know nothing about this system so I"m not contradicting, but I'm immediately leery of any system that professes great 5.1 sound for only $299. Particularly when it's a satellite/sub system. Personally, I'm not fond of sat/sub setups, but everyone's tastes are different.

The only Home-Theater-In-A-Box systems I've ever heard good things about at the home theater hangouts like Home Theater Forum and AVS Forum are the higher-end Kenwood HTB systems. Even then I think it was "hey, this is a great receiver and these speakers are decent for what you're paying."
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Our room is, unfortunately, 13x14... :shock:

We rent the bottom floor of a 3 family house (common here in New Haven). We can be loud to a point, but we still need to be slightly considerate.

@Boudreaux, we definitely want to stay below $500 if at all possible, and are really just two movies lovers who want extra enjoyment during the Matrix, etc... I honestly couldn't tell the difference in many systems I have heard in stores...

That said, @McNutt, what is a really big den? Is my room too large for the Ventriloquist VT-12? I always worry about wires...

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Boudreaux wrote:

I know nothing about this system so I"m not contradicting, but I'm immediately leery of any system that professes great 5.1 sound for only $299. Particularly when it's a satellite/sub system. Personally, I'm not fond of sat/sub setups, but everyone's tastes are different.

The only Home-Theater-In-A-Box systems I've ever heard good things about at the home theater hangouts like Home Theater Forum and AVS Forum are the higher-end Kenwood HTB systems. Even then I think it was "hey, this is a great receiver and these speakers are decent for what you're paying."
The subs are highly thought of and I have a STF-2 powering my lows but I didn't read of too many people who bought the sub that also bought the other speakers. By the way that $299 price did not include the subwoofer. Once you add in one of their subs your total price will be $600 to $1,000 on speakers.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Rich in KCK wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:

The subs are highly thought of and I have a STF-2 powering my lows but I didn't read of too many people who bought the sub that also bought the other speakers. By the way that $299 price did not include the subwoofer. Once you add in one of their subs your total price will be $600 to $1,000 on speakers.
It does state $199 with a sub added ($100 off helps), so maybe I can get the cheapest decent sub from them?

How about This sub from them? $299 +$199 = $498, under my $500 desires...but not really as there is no receiver...

Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

CompUSA used to carry their speakers, that's where I got my sub at anyway and at a much cheaper price than on HSU's website. I bought my sister and her husband one of those HT in a box systems for Xmas last year from BB. I found a damaged box unit on the shelf and took advantage of that plus a sale to buy it for under $350. They are by no means audiophiles but do watch movies and seem perfectly happy with it. The wires in those things aren't close to being long enough to use though.

The advantage of using one of the box systems in my experience is the size of the unit. My sister didn't have the room for a big amp and her DVD unit so the box system worked well for them. They lack all the inputs I require for my own system though.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

How expensive would remote wireless speakers be?

Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

lokiju wrote:@Boudreaux, we definitely want to stay below $500 if at all possible, and are really just two movies lovers who want extra enjoyment during the Matrix, etc... I honestly couldn't tell the difference in many systems I have heard in stores...
At that price point, pretty much anything you're going to find is going to be comparable. The only place you're going to find complete receiver and speaker systems for under $500 is the chain marts like Best Buy, so just head down there and listen to a few and pick the one you think sounds best. Try to get a receiver with lots of digital audio and video inputs. If you narrow it down to 2-3 we could probably help you decide.

The only system I see at Best Buy I could in good conscience recommend is this one:

Yamaha/Klipsch Quintet

It's under the $1000 limit but just barely. The problem is that most sub-$500 systems are all from a single manufacturer, like Sony or Yamaha. Companies that make great receivers don't tend to make very good speakers, and vice versa. I've never been impressed with Sony or Yamaha speakers, but you might not care.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Thanks all. It appears that I will have to do some more research and piece and match a decent system (also using your advice as a catalyst), which sucks as all-in-one would be so much easier, lol.

@Boudreaux, that system looks nice, though I wonder if, for that price, I should be getting a dvd player built in? Does make a difference for digital sound? Having the dvd player built in would eliminate the need for monster cables right?

Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

You want to eliminate monster cables? Do what I did and go to Home Depot and pick up their house brand extension cable. Chop the end off, cut to length and add banana plugs. They don't look that good being orange and all but they work well. It has actually become a pretty common practice since this article last spring.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newslet ... rvey2.html
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've never personally heard the Hsu speakers I linked, but I have read a good deal about them. Sound and Vision reviewed them and gave them excellent marks. A satellite speaker system has a major drawback of not being able to provide the lower range and relying too much on the subwoofer. The Hsu system uses the center channel speaker to pump out the lower range for the satellites. Everything I've read says that it works very well, much better than other satellite systems.

Here's some of the Sound and Vision review. I don't think your den is too big for these speakers.

One thing to keep in mind is that you might be able to get a cheap system that sounds "good enough", but you'll hate your system the first time you watch a movie on a very good system and realize that you could have had that if you had spent an extra $500. [/url]
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

That is crazy nuts that someone wants $949 for an 8 foot speaker cable. Jesus.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

What do we know about the Bose 3-2-1 DVD setups? Anything?

I have a few Bose products and they cost $$$ but they never fail to impress.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

lokiju wrote:@Boudreaux, that system looks nice, though I wonder if, for that price, I should be getting a dvd player built in? Does make a difference for digital sound? Having the dvd player built in would eliminate the need for monster cables right?
I'm not sure what you mean by a DVD player "built-in". Any home theater setup that includes a DVD player is just that - it comes with a (separate) DVD player. You do NOT want a receiver with a DVD player built in - what happens when you decide you need a progressive scan DVD player, or you want to buy a nicer receiver? Now you have to replace two components. Plus, nice progressive scan DVD players can be had for rock-bottom prices these days (~$100-$150).

It will not make a difference for digital sound, nor would it eliminate the need for cabling between the DVD player and receiver. Monster cables (or pretty much any premium cable, for that matter) should be at the bottom of your priority list. Their efficacy is debatable under any circumstances and particularly for lower-end systems like yours. When you buy speaker wire, just get a nice thick gauge at Home Depot or Lowe's, it will work perfectly well (16-gauge is nice, 14-gauge is better). For component cables (S-video, digital audio, etc.) the only area I would splurge and get a nicer cable is for video. You'll see more of a difference than you'll hear with nicer audio cables. Even then, you can get great cables online from places like Accessories For Less for much better prices than what Monster goes for. Acoustic Research cables are a particular favorite of mine.
One thing to keep in mind is that you might be able to get a cheap system that sounds "good enough", but you'll hate your system the first time you watch a movie on a very good system and realize that you could have had that if you had spent an extra $500.
This is so very true. Please keep this in mind if you're seriously considering a "budget" home theater setup. As in all things, you get what you pay for.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

rrmorton wrote:What do we know about the Bose 3-2-1 DVD setups? Anything?

I have a few Bose products and they cost $$$ but they never fail to impress.
Bose systems tend to be looked on favorably by everyone except those who are into home theater as a hobby. They cost in the $1000s because that's how much marketing money it takes to convince people they're worth it. They're not.

I expect Zaxxon will be along shortly to fire you. :wink:
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I just want to second the idea that 'premium' speaker wire is bullshit. There is no evidence that monster cable is at all better than 16-guage copper wire from Home Depot. It's a ploy to take money from narcisistic audiophiles who have to have the best everything.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Yeah, I asked Zaxxon about this stuff a while ago and he gave me some good pointers. I decided against taking the plunge at the time but now that Christmas is here, I might be in the mood to go for it.

My main issue is space. NYC apartment living means I need a compact system that can play DVDs and CDs with nice sound at a reasonable price.

I seem to recall Zaxx recommended the Paradigm cinema series. Maybe I'll check those out again.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Thanks all, I really appreciate you helping me out. Much to think about I have...

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

lokiju wrote:Much to think about I have...
If I had known you were yoda, I would have kept my thoughts to myself. :P
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Demosthenes wrote:
lokiju wrote:Much to think about I have...
If I had known you were yoda, I would have kept my thoughts to myself. :P
I could use his wisdom right about now... :oops:

Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Whatever you do, don't EVER buy BOSE. You pay insane amounts of money for the design, and you end up with a system that is usually very lacking in the amount of inputs and it sounds pretty much substandard.

That 3-2-1 system is blown out of the water (sound-wise AND in the number of inputs) by a $250 JVC Theatre-in-a-box system. It's happened a couple of times now that I demonstrated the 3-2-1 system, and people would then ask to hear a (much) cheaper system and immediately comment: "Hey, this sounds better".

Bose does make some great speakers, but those are the extremely-expensive high-end speakers. Their compact lifestyle systems and other design stuff basically sucks balls.

Stay clear!

As for the wireless speakers, I'm not too fond of them either. Most setups only include wireless surround speakers, the front and center speakers are connected throuh wiring. They tend to be quite a lot more expensive than regular, wired speakers. And finally, the ones we've had in-store (JVC, Pioneer and Sony I think) had quite a bit of problems with the reception. Even though the wireless connection is through FM, there was still quite a bit of crackling from time to time. Whether that was through interference because of the huge amount of other equipment in our store, or just because the speakers aren't any better, I don't know. Finally, pretty much every wireless product I've ever heard has the same problem: it's almost impossible to completely eliminate static. When you're in quiet portions of a movie, there is a pretty good chance that'll hear a slight "hiss". This is, of course, especially apparent when you turn the volume up loud.

It might be a bit shitty to have to hide the wires of your speakers, but you spare lots of money by doing it, and I personally think you end up with (much) better sound quality.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Okay, okay, Bose is off my list for home theater shopping.

But I feel the need to defend my Bose Wave Radio CD alarm clock and my Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones, both of which are simply outstanding. A few weeks ago I stupidly left my headphones on a movie theater seat and got all the way outside before realizing my mistake. I ran back into the theater in a panic and along the way decided that if they were in fact gone, I'd go buy a new pair the next day. They're like Tivo or broadband; there's no going back. (Fortunately, the woman cleaning the theater had them for me.)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Shouldn't you be sleeping? It's not noon yet...

~Neal
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Yes, I should be asleep! Tell that to Amelia.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

rrmorton wrote:Yes, I should be asleep! Tell that to Amelia.
Still haven't changed the spelling to a-Meal-ya yet, eh? Anyway, girl, there's time for peein' and poopin' and making lots of noise, and that time is *after* daddy's sleepy time is over. See that little hand on the clock? Wait until it's pointing straight up, *and* the bright light is pouring in through the windows. Then its "Let's have a diaper party!" time. Got it?

~Neal
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

LOL. I thought she might want a morning nap cuz she didn't sleep well last night. After a leaky diaper wet-leg accident, she was wide awake and watched me play Kohan II from about 1:15 until 2am.

But back on topic...

I'm getting very interested in the HSU Ventriloquist speakers / STF 1 subwoofer combo. In fact, they've been ADDED TO CART. The size and price are right and the reviews are compelling. I know I should take more time to shop around but Christmas is coming fast and they have a 30 day trial return policy if I have a problem.

Now I need a good receiver.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'd like to buy a high-end receiver, but I know I won't have the money for a Denon or Onkyo like I want. I have a ten-year-old Kenwood that's been great so far, but I need a new one. Kenwood earned some brand loyalty after my house flooded and the Kenwood sat three inches deep in water. After everything dried out I powered it on and it came to life just like the day before. That was three years ago.

Buying a used receiver is an optioin I'll look into. A friend of mine bought a used Denon that would have normally run him $1000, but he bought it online for pretty cheap. Unlike speakers, receivers have no moving parts, so wear and tear aren't much of an issue, unless the previous owner dropped it. His Denon is fantastic.

Let me know what you think of the Hsu speakers. I plan on getting a set whenver our new house is built, which should be in February.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

I am considering the HSU Ventriloquist speakers / STF 1 subwoofer combo as well, but need to pick out a receiver. I just hope the wiring reaches far enough for the back speakers...I would have to bring the rear speaker wire up onto the ceiling and around to the back on a wall/ceiling bracket. I am not sure how people hide those wires, lol.

Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I usually try to stick my speaker wire in between the baseboards and the carpet. When I have to go by an open doorway I took up the sash (I think that's what it is called) and put them under it. With my room in the direction it is now though I have the cables strung across the carpet and have to take down the rear speakers and put away the cables when I'm done watching a movie. The best option is to go through the walls and ceiling though.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Sweet lord above. I'm trying to research receivers and I'm just swimming in brand names and technical details I know nothing about. HELP!

Do I need optical audio?
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

rrmorton wrote:Sweet lord above. I'm trying to research receivers and I'm just swimming in brand names and technical details I know nothing about. HELP!

Do I need optical audio?
I thought there was 2 ways to get digital sound, coaxial and optical? Like, as in, that little black plug cover gets pulled out for the black optical audio (tos-link is it called?) wires, whereas the digital/coaxial is the cable internet looking plug (that is usally right next to the toslink connection if your item gives you a choice) that is where Monster Cables fit? You would want to have both optical and coaxial I think to give you better choices because what you are hooking up to it might only use one or the other. I know people who have dvd players with either a coaxial or optical hookup, not both.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I have a Sony DB1080 receiver. Along with Sony sav 835 speakers.

My lounge diner is 30 ft by 15 ft.

The speakers are sattelite style but twice the normal size of sats and i have no problem filling the room with great sound. They are also on speaker stands.

http://www.zigzag.am/productinfo.html?id=172152 - My speakers

http://www.zigzag.am/productinfo.html?id=122050 - My Receiver.

When i decided i wanted a home cinema system i found it very difficult to know what to get.

Everyone has their favourites as well as systems or brands they don`t like. Some say big speakers some say small some say seperates some say all in one. In the end i went to a lot of shops to see what i liked.

I went for sats as my wife was totally convinced about big speakers and in the UK we don`t have THAT big rooms. I wasn`t convinced so tried out lots of speakers till i found the ones i really liked.

The receiver was a lot easier imo. I wanted one that would support 6.1, DTS. It also had to allow me to plug in a PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, PC and anything else i wanted. The wife wasn`t keen on a big receiver but hey she got small speakers so i got a large receiver and tbh you never notice either now and we certainly wouldn`t be without it.

For a receiver go along but 1st ask yourself what you want from it now and also in the future. Xbox or Xbox 2. PC or other consoles maybe, just movies or sound out of the tv through it. I have everything through it and it all sounds great.

Don`t go mad on expensive cables but dont get any old rubbish either. Things like good scart and coaxial audio cables etc are worth getting.

It`s hard to judge cost as over here atm we get $2 for £1 but prices aren`t like for like.

My A/V cost £399 and Speakers £599. Normally its dollar for pound so A/V would be $400.

I would still say don`t rush it, get something you will be happy with as you will use it a lot. Our watching of movies went sky high after getting it.

Iain

Next time i will proof read this properly :shock:
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

rrmorton wrote:Sweet lord above. I'm trying to research receivers and I'm just swimming in brand names and technical details I know nothing about. HELP!

Do I need optical audio?
If GG were still up I'd point you to the Home Theater articles Zaxxon and I wrote for the GG Mag. However, since that's gone I'll just re-post the pertinent section:
Receiver

If the TV is the visual heart of your home theater, consider the receiver its audio brain. A receiver decodes the Dolby Digital/DTS signal, manages various audio inputs, receives AM/FM signals, and controls the signals sent to your speakers. A good receiver can make bad speakers sound much better, and with it good speakers really shine. Unfortunately, receivers are typically harder to judge than TVs or speakers. Here are a few things to look for:

• Dolby Digital and DTS support
• Digital audio inputs, can be either optical (fiber optic) or coaxial. It should have at least one input, preferably two or three as more components begin to support digital sound (i.e. DirecTV/satellite, Super-Audio CD players, etc.).
• Video inputs, usually S-video, though mid- and high-end models are beginning to support component video. These can be used for video switching, which allows you to run all video inputs into your receiver, then a single cable out to your TV.
• Binding posts - allow the most flexibility when connecting speakers. They look like a little knob that screws to loosen, exposing a slot for wire. Spring clips are a less convenient option and more prone to breaking. There’s a common misconception that adding banana clips or spades to your wire can improve sound. This is hogwash—by definition, adding anything to the wire causes signal loss. Bare wire through either binding posts or spring clips is just fine.
• Finally, power. This is where the information starts to get misleading. Receivers are often listed as having “500 Watts” - what this actually means is 100W for each of 5 channels. Remember - smaller rooms need less power, particularly if the receiver has a fairly low Total Harmonic Distortion, or THD - something on the order of ~.07% or less is desirable. A good receiver with low THD and 70W-80W per channel is plenty powerful enough for most average-sized rooms. (Note: wattage numbers by themselves are completely meaningless; power ratings require 5 things in order to be meaningful: wattage per channel, frequency range driven, number of channels driven simultaneously, THD, and impedence load. Let’s take, for example, a Technics receiver advertised in a Best Buy ad as a 500-watt receiver, and compare it to Zaxxon’s 80-watt Yamaha. Most shoppers would immediately discount the Yamaha, as to the uninformed consumer it appears only one-sixth as powerful. But on closer inspection, one sees that the Technics is 100 watts per channel, 2 channels driven, at 1KHz, <1% THD, into 8 ohms. The Yamaha is 80 watts per channel, 6 channels driven, over the full audible band of 20Hz to 20KHz, <0.04% THD, into 8 ohms. What this tells us is that the Yamaha is much more powerful than the Technics.)

Good budget brands to look for are Yamaha, Pioneer, Kenwood, and some Sony models - most of these are available for $300 or so. Mid-level brands to look for are Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha & Sony once again. There are very good receivers from these companies for under $1000.
To expound on your question, optical audio (sometimes called "Toslink") is one type of digital audio connection. The other is coaxial (or "Datalink"). Both are essentially identical in function, one is fiber-optic cable and one is coaxial copper cable. There really isn't any difference in sound quality, but coaxial cables tend to be a bit less fragile than fiber-optic. Which one you use doesn't really matter, but you want a receiver that can input one or the other, i.e. it supports digital audio. Digital audio is for DVD players, some satellite receivers, basically anything that uses Dolby Digital or DTS audio. Any receiver that supports DD or DTS (which is pretty much all of them these days) will have one or more digital audio inputs, either optical or coaxial. More is better.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Okay, thanks for the advice...

I might have narrowed it down to two brands/series...

Yamaha RX-V550, 650, and 750 models.

Onkyo TX-SR602 or SR702.

How do those look? Think they'd work well with the HSU Ventriloquist/STF-1 setup?

Thanks!
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

rrmorton wrote:I might have narrowed it down to two brands/series...

Yamaha RX-V550, 650, and 750 models.

Onkyo TX-SR602 or SR702.
Those are all great choices. The Yamaha receivers are slightly better performing (lower THD) but the difference is pretty negligible. The Onkyo receivers look like they might have slightly more inputs.

If you go with the Yamaha I would not get the 550. It lacks too many features like S-video inputs and video conversion. Go with at least the 650, the difference between it and the 750 is much smaller.

The two Onkyo receivers look pretty comparable, the SR702 just has slightly more power and features than the SR602.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

I am liking the Yamaha RX-V650. At a MSRP of $550, I found it at Etronics for like $365 shipped (cheapest at Bizrate and Pricegrabber comparisons). Add the HSU setup at $525 shipped and you are looking at around maybe $890? My wife says go for it, so I might just do that. Oh boy, nervous now...

Would it be worth looking around for a better deal on the Yamaha receiver, or is that about as low as it will go?

Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

lokiju wrote: My wife says go for it, so I might just do that.
Whattayou, nuts? Do it. Do it now. Those words aren't uttered often.

That's a pretty good price on the Yamaha. The speakers, I can't say. Again, I have no knowledge of those. If they have a trial period you can always return them.