John Stewart: 1 Crossfire: 0

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Mr. Fed

John Stewart: 1 Crossfire: 0

Post by Mr. Fed »

If you haven't watched, or read the transcript of, Jon Stewart's evisceration of the Crossfire team during his guest appearance today, you are in for a treat: Here.

So many wonderful moments. Hard to pick a favorite one, but here are two contenders:
STEWART: Now, this is theater. It's obvious. How old are you?

(CROSSTALK)

CARLSON: Thirty-five. STEWART: And you wear a bow tie.

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

CARLSON: Yes, I do. I do.

STEWART: So this is...

CARLSON: I know. I know. I know. You're a...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: So this is theater.

CARLSON: Now, let me just...

(CROSSTALK)

CARLSON: Now, come on.

STEWART: Now, listen, I'm not suggesting that you're not a smart guy, because those are not easy to tie.
STEWART: But the thing is that this -- you're doing theater, when you should be doing debate, which would be great.

BEGALA: We do, do...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: It's not honest. What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.

CARLSON: You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?

STEWART: Absolutely.

CARLSON: You've got to be kidding me. He comes on and you...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls.

(LAUGHTER)

STEWART: What is wrong with you?
Here is the transcript.[/url][/quote]
St. Mark

Post by St. Mark »

I just watched this about a half-hour ago after hearing about it elsewhere. I have actually never seen an episode of Stewart's show (only short clips here and there) but now I think I may check it out (and his book). Funny stuff! :)
WPD

Post by WPD »

Link to video

I haven't watched it yet, but the snippets I have read look quite entertaining.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Stewart totally pwns everyone to death when they think he's just a funny man but really he's a smart guy who checks his facts and knows whats what.
gellar

Post by gellar »

I sincerely think I want Jon Stewart to have my children.

If that were somehow physically possible, that is.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Meghan

Post by Meghan »

gellar, I want to have Jon Stewert's children so maybe we can arrange a swap or something.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Papageno

Post by Papageno »

Ouch, that was brutal. He overstated his case a bit, but the substance was spot on. He often talks about how journalists don't interrupt or challenge spin. Of course, journalists that do are usually accused of being surrogates for the other side and sometimes get challenged to duels.

I kinda doubt Jon will be invited back, though. Too bad.

EDIT to include the word "will" in the last sentence.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Crossfire was pwn3d. Seriously. That bow-tie motherfucker got so angry and tried so hard to keep it cool on TV. The other guy was typically liberal in that he though he was somehow exempt from the criticism.
Or many that's me putting my spin on it.
Either way, that was absolutely brutal. John saying "and you're a dick on any show" was my favorite part.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Man - what a great show. While I cannot bear Jon's children, I wish I could manage to use his DNA for my next child. It is amazing how many people underestimate him.
hodge313

Post by hodge313 »

My favorite bit.
CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey
noun

Post by noun »

This encounter was so one-sided that score should read more like Jon Stewart 12, Crosstalk 0.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Beautiful. I've saw Jon Stewart on C-SPAN once at a conference on the media and America and of all the stuffed shirts and popular "news" talking heads that were speaking, he seemed the most brutally honest.
wire

Post by wire »

I think John Stewart can be brutally honest for the simple fact he doesn't rely on politicians or the other stuffed shirts associated with politics for his income. The Daily Show is for entertainment with or without a politician coming as a guest...so he doesn't need to really worry about offending anyone.

That Crossfire interview was awesome! Especially liked the part about not being his Image
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Jon Stewart for President! Seriously!
CSL

Post by CSL »

ChaoZ wrote:Jon Stewart for President! Seriously!
I second the motion!
koanicriddle

Post by koanicriddle »

I second the motion!
Thirded!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah - he would be a candidate I could be enthusiastic about. Which means the laws of the universe will absolutely prevent it from happening.
CSL

Post by CSL »

I SO love it when he cals Carlson and the other guy hacks.

And really Carlson is suck a dick.

Stewart for 08'!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hysterical. Jon Stewart has a great perspective, which is why he's so funny on the Daily Show -- even when his jokes bomb, he makes the failure into a joke. Combined with his rapier wit, it's a dangerous combination. The Crossfire boys were outclassed, on all respects -- especially with the hypocritical attempts to take him to task for being "new lite" while claiming to be "playing nice." The theatre didn't play as well as intended when Jon Steward pointed out the absurdity of it all.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Nice, thanks for posting the link. Stewart made some great points about having an honest debate show instead of just left (would that be counter-clockwise?) spin vs. right spin. My favorite line had to be

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls.

ROTFL!
Laura

Post by Laura »

I don't like Crossfire much, but I just happened to have CNN on when they announced Jon Stewart was going to be on. I wouldn't miss that! He was amazing--it made my week!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Damn, that was priceless. My pick for best line goes to this exchange, both from the scathing final comment and just how he said it:
CARLSON: What's it like to have dinner with you? It must be excruciating. Do you like lecture people like this or do you come over to their house and sit and lecture them; they're not doing the right thing, that they're missing their opportunities, evading their responsibilities?

STEWART: If I think they are.

CARLSON: I wouldn't want to eat with you, man. That's horrible.

STEWART: I know. And you won't.
- Ash
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Awesome. That bowtie line was killer. :D

But I do think that Stewart is ever-so-slightly disingenuous (or deep in denial) about the role his show plays in national politics. He's gotta be aware when he sees himself on the cover of Rolling Stone, TV Guide, top of the bestseller list, etc, that people aren't just laughing, they're listening.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

But people listen to Jon Stewart because he's funny, not because he's a good newsman. Saturday Night Live had Weekend Update, but then SNL started to suck. And it sucked for a long time, but no one is willing to put the beast out of its misery. And along comes the Daily Show, with a similar gimmick, and it's actually FUNNY as well as smart. No suprise that the Daily Show is incredibly popular.

I don't think it's fair to criticize Jon Stewart for not realizing his influence. His new "interview" style varies between funny and serious. And it's even funnier as a result. Recently, he'll ask a serious question (many times a blunt question), but if the person squirms or won't answer then he'll lessen the discomfort by making a joke. Like Jon said in the Crossfire clip -- "I'll ask, but I just don't care about the answer...."

And, best of all, Jon Stewart is honest about what he does. His sense of context is part of what makes him a great comedian, and it serves him well during interviews. For instance, Jon Stewart was visibly impressed and humbled in his interview of Bishop Desmond Tutu: "You're the nicest man I've ever met," he quipped. And it was not only true, but funny.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

But I do think that Stewart is ever-so-slightly disingenuous (or deep in denial) about the role his show plays in national politics.
I have to go with Rob on this one. The puppet line was brilliant, but in substance it was partly a dodge. And then when you come onto the show with the earnest message "You're hurting America," you're exposing exactly the sort of thing he tries to shrug off with the "Comedy Central" defense.

I love Stewart, but I think he's slipped into something most people do when they stretch for the "just kidding" angle. They want to say something they mean without exposing themselves to the consequences of it being taken seriously. And to call people to task for failing their responsibility, and to do it from the high horse of having no responsibility ... yes, I think there's a disingenuous strain. He wants to make an impact without really putting himself out there. It's a sly defense: try to critique him, and the joke's on you.
Unbreakable

Post by Unbreakable »

I think his point was this- his show's concern is primarily entertainment, while Crossfire's is allegedly political debate.

Instead, it appears their responsibilities are being perceived as the opposite, with Crossfire saying Stewart should be asking hard-hitting questions (while they neglect important issues), and Crossfire worrying more about being entertaining rather than insightful (Stewart's line about the bow-tie was great!).

I cant weigh in on how accurate John's opinion is regarding Crossfire, since I dont watch the show.

But to say The Daily Show somehow bears some great responsibility to bring light to politics is kind of, I dunno, it is kind of a dodge. While people do look to the show as an information source, it really is what Stewart claimed- there to expose the absurdity. To paraphrase Homer, if you have a problem with politicians doing stupid things, maybe they'll just have to stop doing them.

I think the culture in Washington has, for far too long, been one of Congressmen trying to get clever soundbites on CNN, and less one of making wise use of the power vested in them by their constituents. How many of these guys end up leaving office to head up some thinktank, or become a professional powerbroker, or some shit like that? Grrr, I had a quote from the retiring head of the IL GOP, Peter Fitzpatrick, which would have been good here, but the article I pulled it from was on GG. Oh well.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

rrmorton wrote:
But I do think that Stewart is ever-so-slightly disingenuous (or deep in denial) about the role his show plays in national politics. He's gotta be aware when he sees himself on the cover of Rolling Stone, TV Guide, top of the bestseller list, etc, that people aren't just laughing, they're listening.
I think that's where the problem lies and was part of the point he was trying to make by calling these guys out.

When The Daily Show is winning awards for best cable news program, there's something really, really wrong with cable news programs. If people are relying on his show to get the news they need, it's probably because they can't get good and reliable news from the sources that they should be like CNN and are getting crap like Crossfire instead.

I thought the wrestling comment was spot on even if he didn't get a chance to finish it; stuff like Crossfire isn't political debate, it's Political Entertaiment(tm) much the same way wrestling isn't actually sports. It's theater.
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Except Stewart knows that funny is not the opposite of serious. Funny is the opposite of unfunny. Dick Cheney is serious and not funny. The Farrelly brothers are funny and not serious. Dennis Miller is funny and serious. The average member of congress is not funny and not serious.

Stewart told the crossfirers that they were squandering a significant opportunity. All that was true. I just think he could be a little more forthcoming about his own significant opportunity.
jblank

Post by jblank »

Sorry to interrupt the lovefest here, but I saw something completely different than you guys did. Stewart comes off like an asshole in this. Forget his message for a minute, the man just comes off like a jerk. To me, its kinda silly for him to be lambasting the news/opinion/debate shows, for "not being hard enough" on candidates, and for allegedly letting them get away with saying whatever they want, when they go on his show and basically get stroked for 10 minutes.

I like Stewart ok, he can be funny, and offers a good perspective on some things, but I think HE is the one that looked bad after this interview, not CNN, and to go personal on Carlson, and to rip the entire network and program, struck me as going way too far, and it made him look very angry.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Stewart doesn't "stroke" the politicians who come on his show. He may have gone soft on Kerry, but typically he asks some very good questions. Just watch the interview he did with a senator from NM.
jblank

Post by jblank »

godhugh wrote:Stewart doesn't "stroke" the politicians who come on his show. He may have gone soft on Kerry, but typically he asks some very good questions. Just watch the interview he did with a senator from NM.
I admit I dont watch it every night, nor do I see every interview, but his questions typically are much more softball, even though there are exceptions, and I just thought for him to accuse Crossfire and other shows of basically laying down for politicians was a bit of a strange argument to make.

Just my opinion though.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

jblank wrote:
godhugh wrote:Stewart doesn't "stroke" the politicians who come on his show. He may have gone soft on Kerry, but typically he asks some very good questions. Just watch the interview he did with a senator from NM.
I admit I dont watch it every night, nor do I see every interview, but his questions typically are much more softball, even though there are exceptions, and I just thought for him to accuse Crossfire and other shows of basically laying down for politicians was a bit of a strange argument to make.

Just my opinion though.
Understandable, but he doesn't really have a responsibility to ask the hard questions. I consider it an added bonus when he gets some real answers from politicians, not really a requirement.

I watch the Daily Show for a humorous take on news. If I'm interested in the subject, I'll check out CNN or other news sites for more info on it.
jblank

Post by jblank »

godhugh wrote:
jblank wrote:

Just my opinion though.
Understandable, but he doesn't really have a responsibility to ask the hard questions. I consider it an added bonus when he gets some real answers from politicians, not really a requirement.

I watch the Daily Show for a humorous take on news. If I'm interested in the subject, I'll check out CNN or other news sites for more info on it.
Oh i agree, 100% agree in fact, which is why it came off as a bit condescending for him to try and lecture them, and tell them how to conduct their show. Like Begala said, its a debate show, the purpose of which is for people to voice their opinions, and have those opinions contested or challenged. Sure people will spin their political issues, and they may get away with that to a degree, but Stewart, in my mind, doesnt really have a leg to stand on here.
Al

Post by Al »

jblank wrote:Like Begala said, its a debate show, the purpose of which is for people to voice their opinions, and have those opinions contested or challenged.
And like Stewart said, it isn't a debate show. It's not much more than a shouting match.
jblank

Post by jblank »

Al wrote:
jblank wrote:Like Begala said, its a debate show, the purpose of which is for people to voice their opinions, and have those opinions contested or challenged.
And like Stewart said, it isn't a debate show. It's not much more than a shouting match.
Eh, not sure I would agree with that. You cant have a show thats set up like the Presidential debates. Shows like Crossfire do allow the exchange of opinions, which in turn are "debated" by the hosts, and guests. Of course it sometimes gets heated, but if thats one of Stewarts complaints, his attitude on Crossfire certainly contributed to the "tension". Like I said, he made some decent points, and part of his message came through in a decent way, but he really acted like a jerk.

Maybe he was just there to sell his book, and collect the publicity, but he went on the show, a show he admits he hated, and to me, a little decorum would have gone a long way in making his point come across better.
elborto

Post by elborto »

I don't think you quite understood Stewart's point, jblank. It's not so much that Crossfire doesn't ask "the hard questions" but more that they reduce every issue to two opposing viewpoints, neatly aligned with the 2 major political parties, basically shilling their messages.

Claas
jblank

Post by jblank »

elborto wrote:I don't think you quite understood Stewart's point, jblank. It's not so much that Crossfire doesn't ask "the hard questions" but more that they reduce every issue to two opposing viewpoints, neatly aligned with the 2 major political parties, basically shilling their messages.

Claas
Ok, I didnt see it that way, but I will assume thats what he was trying to convey. Again though, dont you guys think he kinda came off as overly hostile? He may have had something important to say, but his whole manner of responding turned me off.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I was impressed by how he came on to pimp his book and basically ignored it to press the issue he thought was more important.

Carlson was totally outmatched by Stewart. Begala at least had the good sense to shut up because Stewart was just beating the crap out of them.

I could see how someone could see how he came across as a dick. I was a little shocked to see someone step out of spin bullshit mode and lay the smackdown on them. We see it so infrequently that it is a little shocking. No one in the media usually has the guts to challenge anything anymore. The unwritten code is that they need to be nice to each other because that'll help them make more money, and Stewart pissed all over the code because he thought it was the RIGHT thing to do. It's honestly a little unusual these days.
Al

Post by Al »

jblank wrote:You cant have a show thats set up like the Presidential debates.
Why not?