Cervical Cancer Vaccine recommended for girls...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

silverjon

Re: Cervical Cancer Vaccine recommended for girls...

Post by silverjon »

I would like to point out that there is no "lifetime of medication" for warts. It's not herpes. Most HPV infections will clear themselves within 2 years, and the afflicted person may never even have symptoms. This is why the transmission rate is so high, but it's largely an unserious disease with occasional severe consequences.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

silverjon wrote:If the actual vaccination rate for girls is 40%, don't you think it stands to reason that it will be even lower for boys?
It depends on how quickly they make it a school requirement. Even Rick Perry (which lends credence to the bribery errrrrr advertising angle), tried to make it a requirement.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:However I get uncomfortable when it's viewed as a cancer vaccine. It's no more a cancer vaccine than a nicotine patch is a cancer vaccine. It helps reduce the incidence of something that causes cancer. It doesn't vaccinate against cancer, it vaccinates against HPV.
Because this can't be emphasized enough.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

noxiousdog wrote:That's the wrong question. Of course it's worth $360 per person. The better question is can $360 per person (roughly 2 million males) for an annual cost of nearly $1 billion per year be better spent elsewhere?
Thus you run into the argument I used to have once a week (over much smaller amounts of money). I can't tell you exactly how many lives we'll change if we spend $1 billion a year vaccinating kids against HPV. I can suggest that maybe we don't have to deal with ~21,000 cases of HPV-caused cancer each year. For those ~21,000 people, I'm going to suggest a ~$1000 investment spread over their cohorts is worth it.

If you really want your mind blown, look into the ~$6 billion we spend each year on Breast cancer awareness and research and then tell me how many people died of breast cancer each day worldwide in 1992 versus 2010.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote: Thus you run into the argument I used to have once a week (over much smaller amounts of money). I can't tell you exactly how many lives we'll change if we spend $1 billion a year vaccinating kids against HPV. I can suggest that maybe we don't have to deal with ~21,000 cases of HPV-caused cancer each year. For those ~21,000 people, I'm going to suggest a ~$1000 investment spread over their cohorts is worth it.

If you really want your mind blown, look into the ~$6 billion we spend each year on Breast cancer awareness and research and then tell me how many people died of breast cancer each day worldwide in 1992 versus 2010.
And funding is accelerating! (but I like tatas )
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

silverjon wrote:I would like to point out that there is no "lifetime of medication" for warts.
I guess I was referring to the topical treatments for outbreaks as well as the medical therapies used to deal with areas that cannot be treated by the patient. Your point still stands -- I probably should have said "chronic" instead of "lifetime".
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Smoove_B wrote:
silverjon wrote:I would like to point out that there is no "lifetime of medication" for warts.
I guess I was referring to the topical treatments for outbreaks as well as the medical therapies used to deal with areas that cannot be treated by the patient. Your point still stands -- I probably should have said "chronic" instead of "lifetime".
Even if you do get warts, you're not likely to have flareups for your whole life. Is 1-3 years long enough to be considered a chronic affliction? That's for the virus to become undetectable in the body, not just lacking visible symptoms.
wot?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, chronic means >3 months, at least in the literature I frequent.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Fair enough. I didn't know the clinical vs. colloquial thresholds (if colloquial can have a threshold).
wot?

Quaro

Post by Quaro »

Smoove_B wrote:It's basic vaccination theory. Human females aren't the only reservoir for the disease. Add that to what seems to be a pretty low vaccination rate for girls (~40%) and it makes sense to recommend that same series of vaccination for boys - particularly when it seems like the rate of oral cancer in men is increasing beyond what could be attributed to tobacco use.
Rising quite dramatically:
In 1984-89, about 16% of oropharyngeal cancers — cancers of the tonsils, upper throat and base of the tongue — tested HPV-positive, the researchers found. By 2000-04, the proportion of HPV-positive cancers had risen to 72%.
That means that the rate of HPV-related oral cancer rose from 0.8 cases per 100,000 people in the 1980s to 2.6 cases per 100,000 people in the 2000s — an increase of 225%. At the same time, as cigarette smoking declined, the rate of HPV-negative cancers dropped by 50%, the study found.
http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/05/h ... n-smoking/" target="_blank
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

noxiousdog wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Thus you run into the argument I used to have once a week (over much smaller amounts of money). I can't tell you exactly how many lives we'll change if we spend $1 billion a year vaccinating kids against HPV. I can suggest that maybe we don't have to deal with ~21,000 cases of HPV-caused cancer each year. For those ~21,000 people, I'm going to suggest a ~$1000 investment spread over their cohorts is worth it.

And funding is accelerating! (but I like tatas )

Continuing on the off topic portion of this thread, my Freakonomics fetish points out that there are twice as many suicides as murders.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I wasn't able to pick you out of a lineup, I'd swear you were in my class tonight.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Aus
The world's first cancer vaccine was administered in Australia exactly 10 years ago.

Since then, the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine has been rolled out across 130 countries and halved the number of new cervical cancers.
"If we vaccinate enough people we will eliminate these viruses because they only infect humans. And in Australia there's already been a 90% reduction in infections in the 10 years the programme has been running."
"In countries like the US where the vaccine isn't so widely taken up, that's a little bit disappointing because cervical cancer still kills several thousand women in the US," he said.

"Then, of course, we've got the problem of the 250,000 people that die from cervical cancer in the developing world."

Researchers are continuing to refine the effectiveness of the vaccine and ensure more widespread inoculation.

"We're moving from a vaccine that protects against two common strains of the virus that cause cancer to a vaccine that protects against nine common strains," Prof Frazer said.

"If we get that rolled out we will eventually get rid of all cancers that get caused by this virus."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

So you're saying autism > cancer?
Spoiler:
I kid. I kid.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is the very virus that nearly killed me...
Moliere wrote:So you're saying autism > cancer?
Speaking from experience, hell yes!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my son got his first (of three) vaccination shots. i feel like i did something good...
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I have to say, as a non-insane person (got my stamp and everything) I am 10,000% for vaccinations. The commercials I have seen lately for the HPV vaccine are very insulting.

No, hypothetical child, there was no fucking vaccine (woohoo, double entendre!) when you were born. Are you satisfied now?

The only people refusing this vaccine are puritanical weirdos who think that babies are delivered by the Jesus stork, or parents who refuse to acknowledge how badly teenage hormones affect the decision making process.
There is no hug button. Sad!
El Guapo

Re:

Post by El Guapo »

Mr. Fed wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Wouldn't it be much easier to make part of your sixth grade phyiscal? I mean if they can poke a finger up a little boys ass and grab his nuts without explaining it, they can easily give a girl a shot as part of the battery of innoculations for the physical.
Where the fuck did you go to sixth grade? Prison?
This is hilarious, Mr. Fed from 2006.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lol. Time travel is more funny than I expected.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

UPI
The vaccine against human papillomavirus (HPV) is highly effective in young women -- and may even offer some protection to those who don't get it, a new study suggests.

Researchers said the findings add to evidence that the vaccine -- which ultimately cuts the risk of several cancers -- is a boon to public health.
In other findings, the study showed that the prevalence of the four HPV types also dipped among patients who remained unvaccinated: At the outset, about one-third tested positive for those viral strains, and that figure dropped to 19.4 percent over time.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

As an interesting side note, my son got it too by default and it's covered by insurance.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We were at the doctor over summer and I think they were ready to give me the business over vaccinating my daughter, but the nurse did a double take at the patient history and said, "Oh...you're already finished with the series." I was left with the distinct impression it's not a common occurance; I think nationwide numbers are hovering around 50% for vaccine acceptance.

Hadn't seen that study; thanks for the bump!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Pretty sure both of my kids got it. Everyone survived.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This was always another good point for me and my wife. Neither had anything so was never a worry. I know what you start to think but we lived totally in love. No thought of cheating and none done. It was lovely....and worry free.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I read somewhere that the vaccine makes girls more promiscuous and makes boys totally gay. Has there been any follow up on that aspect?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 am I read somewhere that the vaccine makes girls more promiscuous and makes boys totally gay. Has there been any follow up on that aspect?
I'm surprised it hasn't come up with the current administration. Someone needs to send a message!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New study that was just published suggests the HVP vaccination cuts risk of invasive cervical cancer in half. It was started in 2006, so 14 years to get these results!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:lol:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Our oldest boy has had this vaccine now, and his brother will follow suit. I've no qualms whatsoever with this. I know men can be silent carriers of HPV (there's not even a test to tell if they have it, let alone the lack of symptoms) so maybe somewhere down the line, it'll save a woman's life.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:46 amso maybe somewhere down the line, it'll save a woman's life.
Or another man. No judgements!

(and yes, I know men don't have a cervix. I'm talking about HPV infection being spread and putting them at risk of other cancers)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

:think:

Didn't even know about that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here you go boss.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I was quite pleased to see HPV vaccine for boys is standard and covered by insurance.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good news about cervical cancer:
The American Cancer Society said Thursday that changes in preventive measures and screening in the past decade drove important trends in U.S. cancer incidence and outcomes. Cervical cancer rates dropped 65% from 2012 to 2019 among women in their early 20s after a generation of young women were vaccinated against human papillomavirus, or HPV, for the first time.
The way things are going, it'll probably be part of public health's Swan Song but I guess it's something good to share.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How long before the stupid minority blames it for something else and refuses to take the vaccine thereby condemning girls to un needed cancers?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:42 pm How long before the stupid minority blames it for something else and refuses to take the vaccine thereby condemning girls to un needed cancers?
At leat 15 years ago?

But yeah, it's old news
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/death- ... t-so-fast/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:42 pm How long before the stupid minority blames it for something else and refuses to take the vaccine thereby condemning girls to un needed cancers?
It doesn't need to. Clear back to page one of this thread (16+ years ago) they've been equating it with giving children permission to have sex, and condemning it for that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, there isn't going to be an "instant" impact (like there might be with measles or chickenpox). What this will look like in practice (if there is vaccine rejection) is a deep "trough" in the number of cervical cancer cases in women of a certain age, and then cases will mysteriously (not so mysteriously) climb for another cohort of ages.

Let's check back in sometime around 2033?