tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: tesla motors

Post by TheMix »

About 50% of my household has a tendency for rolling stops. (And it's not me. :D )

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't have FSD, so I had to look up exactly what the behavior was-- slowing to 2 mph when all approaching angles are clear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

BTW I'm not saying that people don't do rolling stops or that it is even expressly unsafe. The FSD program is constantly being evaluated with an overly critical eye by skeptical regulators. To me the dumbness here is that they thought they should program their cars to explictly *break the law* relating to one of the most effective safety controls on roads. This is not strategically sound. As is not having any sort of PR/Communications department to manage this penchant for being dumbasses.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What chip shortage?
Under pressure to hit fourth-quarter sales goals while coping with widespread semiconductor shortages, Tesla decided to remove one of the two electronic control units that are normally included in the steering racks of some made-in-China Model 3 and Model Y cars, according to two employees and internal correspondence seen by CNBC.

Internally, Tesla employees said that adding "level 3" functionality, which would allow a driver to use their Tesla hands-free without steering in normal driving scenarios, would need the dual electronic control unit system and therefore require a retrofit at a service visit. They also said that the exclusion would not cause safety issues, since the removed part was deemed a secondary electronic control unit, used mainly as a backup.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Engineers love single points of failure.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In before the ripoff!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fremont.

California’s department of fair employment and housing (DFEH) said it had filed a lawsuit alleging widespread discrimination and harassment of black employees following complaints from hundreds of Tesla workers at its main factory in Fremont.

“After receiving hundreds of complaints from workers, DFEH found evidence that Tesla’s Fremont factory is a racially segregated workplace where black workers are subjected to racial slurs and discriminated against in job assignments, discipline, pay, and promotion creating a hostile work environment,” Kevin Kish, the DFEH’s director, said in a statement.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's disappointing. Might be time for another look at that Lucid Air. When are they making a smaller sedan?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And the company line.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:45 pm That's disappointing. Might be time for another look at that Lucid Air. When are they making a smaller sedan?
Careful--Lucid's top ownership interest is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Might be better to go with Rivian, or a Nissan Leaf, if civil rights are your driving factor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:50 pm And the company line.
coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:45 pm That's disappointing. Might be time for another look at that Lucid Air. When are they making a smaller sedan?
Careful--Lucid's top ownership interest is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Might be better to go with Rivian, or a Nissan Leaf, if civil rights are your driving factor.
Ouch. Fun to drive and size are also factors. Newer Leaf may be more fun but it still ain't Tesla fun and I am not driving a pickup/suv... well the Mach E looks like it might fit in the garage.

I guess I keep driving my ANCIENT Model 3 until I can find a better option.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:50 pm And the company line.
Yet, at a time when manufacturing jobs are leaving California, the DFEH has decided to sue Tesla instead of constructively working with us. This is both unfair and counterproductive, especially because the allegations focus on events from years ago.
Who needs a PR team when you can sound like a whiny teen?

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Personally, I'd have led with
Over the past five years, the DFEH has been asked on almost 50 occasions by individuals who believe they were discriminated against or harassed to investigate Tesla. On every single occasion, when the DFEH closed an investigation, it did not find misconduct against Tesla. It therefore strains credibility for the agency to now allege, after a three-year investigation, that systematic racial discrimination and harassment somehow existed at Tesla.
But that's just me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:36 pm Personally, I'd have led with
Over the past five years, the DFEH has been asked on almost 50 occasions by individuals who believe they were discriminated against or harassed to investigate Tesla. On every single occasion, when the DFEH closed an investigation, it did not find misconduct against Tesla. It therefore strains credibility for the agency to now allege, after a three-year investigation, that systematic racial discrimination and harassment somehow existed at Tesla.
But that's just me.
The DEFH is claiming "hundreds" of complaints. Presumably the ones they close quickly are the ones with no support of any misconduct. So "almost 50" closed vs "hundreds" remaining. There's also the one they settled for $137M.

Report is due out today with more info.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:43 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:36 pm Personally, I'd have led with
But that's just me.
The DEFH is claiming "hundreds" of complaints. Presumably the ones they close quickly are the ones with no support of any misconduct. So "almost 50" closed vs "hundreds" remaining. There's also the one they settled for $137M.

Report is due out today with more info.
I'm not suggesting there's no issue here, just that as per usual, there's a lot of jump-to-conclusion mat usage happening.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There are no motors at Tesla Motors.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:57 pm There are no motors at Tesla Motors.
Engine and motor are synonyms for a device that converts energy into motion.

Whether or not there's been criminal racial discrimination and/or harassment at Tesla, I'd say to let the investigation play out. That said, all I ever heard about employment (engineering) at Tesla was what a shit company it was to work for. I know nothing first hand, but based on my own experiences in working at Bay Area-cultured engineering "sweatshops", I can nearly guarantee you there was harassment and discrimination (of a non-racial nature) prevalent on a daily basis at some point in the last ten years.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You need a bot test for "every picture with a motor in it."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:17 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:57 pm There are no motors at Tesla Motors.
Engine and motor are synonyms for a device that converts energy into motion.
True, but there's no more 'Motors' in the company name for a few years now. It's just Tesla, Inc.
I can nearly guarantee you there was harassment and discrimination (of a non-racial nature) prevalent on a daily basis at some point in the last ten years.
Fo sho.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

On a cold morning you can go set the temperature on your vehicle and receive a notification on your phone when it's up to temp. Not earth shattering but a nice feature.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ugh. My windshield wipers failed on my Tesla last week. Mobile service just came out and ... a critter got up into the hood area and chewed the front harness of the car. God damn it. This is the third car this has happened to. I've cut trees, I've had exterminators nuke the land with poison, I've put up owls, I've put up sonic traps, and the damn things always crawl up into the most expensive car in the driveway. I had a fear that was what happened even since I had the wiring harness chewed on the car I traded in for the Tesla.

I've got to rethink some things. We've been thinking hard about leaving NJ for awhile so we have to decide that and if we stay then maybe I'll convert the garbage back from a gym to a garage space. That unfortunately will require me to move the ev charger. The whole thing stinks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I am impressed that the little critters have managed this thrice!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 am I am impressed that the little critters have managed this thrice!
In the Tesla it's a little impressive because the tech showed me the path and it is essentially a tiny crack between the frunk liner and the compartment just in front of the fire wall on the driver's side up through the wheel strut. He hadn't seen this in a Tesla before.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can understand the animal ingenuity, but what do they find so irresistible about a harness? :think:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That fine Ukrainian flavor.
Carmakers including Germany's Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE), BMW and Porsche are struggling to obtain crucial wire harnesses as suppliers in western Ukraine have been shuttered by the Russian invasion, forcing them to curtail production.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:04 am I can understand the animal ingenuity, but what do they find so irresistible about a harness? :think:
Let’s review the most common "rat wire" issues some homeowners face every day:

Rodents do not go around looking for wires to chew on. Like previously stated, rodents just happen to like to hide in places where other hidden things are typically located, such as your home electric and security wiring systems.

The issue with wires is that they are everywhere, and mice have an instinct to go after anything they can chew to keep their teeth from over growing. This said, if they don’t chew on wires, they will eventually chew on anything and everything else: glass, plastic, rubber, wood, aluminum, rock, and even cement.

Even though rats can chew anything, a wire is a perfect object for grinding their teeth against. They can hold the wire while they chew, which gives them more control. As you know, mice and rats have sharp teeth, which grow continuously unless the animal can find a way to control such growth. This is why the wire seems to be their go-to choice.

Keep in mind, rats and mice not only chew on house wires. They are also known to eat car wires as well. Many automotive companies are following the environmental trend and striving to use renewable materials in their automotive parts. Many have started using edible materials like soy as coating for automotive wires. Rats are attracted to the edible soy wire insulation and damage to automotive wiring has been steadily on the rise. Damage to an engine's wiring can not only be extremely costly — but it can also be very dangerous. Automobiles that are stored for any period of time should be protected from rats and mice. The engine should also be inspected for damage before use.

If you have ever owned a hamster, you may know that they need a wood stick, a piece of cardboard or any other material that they can use to sharpen and level their teeth. This is no different with rats and mice.

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Some use soy-based materials to make the plastics more environmentally friendly and rodents love the stuff.

Edit: drat - Bam!-d
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

What's crazy is one recommendation and one I've been following is regularly move the car and we used sonic devices that are supposed to dissuade them. I knew this might be a problem obviously. I've driven it nearly every day I've owned it. So it built a nest in the Tesla and I never heard anything, saw anything, etc. It somehow found a tons of leaves and I got the car after leaves were removed. I also realized it never triggered the camera I have on the car at the garage. I checked the camera settings and it doesn't have animal suppression or anything like that turned on. So I basically did nearly everything I could and it still happened. I'm at a loss about what to do.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Get a garage cat.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:42 am If you're interested in logging, consider TeslaFi.
Done. I like it. The price is fine.
Yes, the mats that come with the car are pretty pedestrian.
I went with (relatively) cheap hose-em-off mats from Autailors:
Enlarge Image
They look really nice with the white interior. I haven't actually hosed them off yet (but they're due!). Much better than what shipped with the car.
Have you picked up any mobile connector adapters? The car only comes with 5-15 these days. You will definitely want the 14-50 if you ever plan to car camp, and the 5-20 is useful if you do any sort of traveling where you may want to charge at other folks' places. We've used it at several Airbnbs. A 5-20 is nominally only 33% more power than a 5-15, but due to the car's overhead it's effectively ~50% faster.
That order is placed (both the 14-50 and 5-20 per your suggestion) in anticipation of this summer's big road trip. I also need to get a beefy extension cord that'll reach from the driveway into Dad's garage. His place was built in the 70's and he redid the electrical in the 90's so I'm not expecting a free 20 amp circuit available to me. There is a fridge in the garage, so probably something I can leetch a bit of juice off of. The only local hotel with the appearance of an L2 charger runs over $400 a night for the partial week we'd be in town, and the closest L3 chargers are a few counties over.

I have figured out the free Sema Connect L2 charger at work, which is convenient. The EV Teams list is about 30 members for 2 L2 chargers, and the request through the teams list is no more than 4 hours on the charger from any given member. I show up for work at 6am, which means I can get 2 hours of juice before any one else arrives, so I'm generally in good shape for the daily commute.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 am I am impressed that the little critters have managed this thrice!
Without critter eaters allowed in the area, it's not that uncommon. Between my parents and their neighbors critters have mangled something key in a vehicle in a garage 5 times in 10 years. Warmth and enclosed space with proximity for something to make bedding.

They've invaded my house three of the last five winters, as I have no critter controllers either. I've gotten viscous with my reprisal. :( I hate it but I can't let them do more damage then they are already doing.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So an update on critter damage - the damage was estimated at $1300 which is what I expected. However, the bigger issue IMO is that getting it repaired is going to take an unacceptable amount of time. I noticed the wipers weren't working the 10th. I put in a ticket for service that day. Mobile service came out the 17th. So a week later. I got an appointment to drop the car off on the 23rd based on finding the damage. 2 weeks from the issue. And it is looking like I might not have the car back until the 30th. To compare, I mentioned I've had this happen twice before and I was able to get each of those cars repaired in under 3 days each. The problem is the service center is just overwhelmed with work and it isn't a small facility. I counted 16 stations when I was in there.

In essence if you have problems, you'll have no certainty when you'll be able to repair the car. When they told me a week the day of I called around just to see if someone could accelerate it. No one will touch a Tesla with a 10-foot pole. This is a relatively straightforward 3-hour job to replace some wiring and it is going to take approximately 20 days end-to-end. Heck, they didn't even look at my car for nearly a day and a half. They looked at it for 5 minutes last night then sent me the estimate 16 hours later. I was at some level expecting this because there were approximately 2 dozen of cars waiting for service at just this one location. I can't help but think Consumer Reports stats on reliability issues plus the constant talk of them on forums is accurate.

I will however give Tesla credit for giving me a close to bottomless Uber voucher ($100 per day estimated to be in the shop). It appears they are aware of this and trying to paper over it. They have to figure out something because I simply can't recommend them to anyone right now. No matter how great the car is ordinarily. I just pretty much talked a colleague on my team out of a Model 3/Y for this reason. I said you're looking at months to get the car and you'll have no certainty when you'll get it. Plus relatively easy to fix issues for a conventional vehicle might mean weeks without the vehicle.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another update - they said they'd let me know if the 30th was good. They didn't so I reached out. Maybe the 1st or 2nd because the wire harness "might come in on Thursday". :grund:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I feel much better now that:

A) I keep my Tesla in the garage.

B) We have a cat (soon to be 2) that has a cat door into the garage.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:24 pm Another update - they said they'd let me know if the 30th was good. They didn't so I reached out. Maybe the 1st or 2nd because the wire harness "might come in on Thursday". :grund:
This is all a bummer. Wish I could say I was surprised. It seems very few people receive mediocre service from Tesla--it's either pretty great or some major problem/delay happens.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So fun coda to the Tesla service visit. They must have gotten the part yesterday because they pulled into the garage around closing time and it went offline. It came online and eventually they drove it around which I took to be the test drive. That was around 10 AM. Around 2 PM I sent a message asking if it might be ready. They got back to me at 4:45 to say yes. And I can pick it up after I pay. They said I won't be able to pay yet because they haven't entered the work into the system but it'll be sometime in the morning. :roll: They suck. They suck hard. It's almost surprising how bad they are at simple things that a regular garage does in 5 minutes.

Edit: On top I suspect they added a day or two on the front end because it took them about a day to enter the diagnostic info into the system. They looked at my car that day for approximately 5 minutes. I know because they drove it in and drove it out and I have the telemetry. Days of delay on top of delay because they can't do paperwork in their completely computerized system.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm starting to think your service center is worse than average. :) To start, you shouldn't even have that telemetry. They should have had it set to service mode after you left. Our center also reverts that and lets you pick up before they've sent the invoice.

None of this changes the fact that your experience is unacceptable; it's just amusing to me.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Do you guys get tire rotation or new tires from somewhere else? I was informed our only service center in Connecticut is starting to tell people that asked for tire service to go to a reputable tire center. I’ve been hesitant to go to Firestone or other places concerned they wouldn’t take care of the car (mainly with jacking it properly from what I read it’s different to protect the battery).

I definitely would put the car in valet mode so some kid won’t go crazy on a test drive when they see it’s a performance model.

Also, I’m getting a noticeable creak and groan coming from the right rear. Don’t think it’s wheel related as it seems to be more like the frame is twisting if that sounds right. Sometimes if I’m turning and accelerating I can hear it, also running over rough roads it’ll make some squeaking noises. It’s not all the time so it’s going to be one of those “hope it happens when the technician test drives it” scenarios. It’s a 2018 mode and the warranty is up in September so I’m going to have it checked soon. Just want to make sure it’s nothing serious developing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've used discount tire with no trouble. There are so many Teslas around here now they almost have to take them and yeah my warranty is up in August and I'm a wee bit nervous about having a post warranty Tesla.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

That’s what I was hoping to hear. They’re getting more common around here which is good. I had talked to a guy at Firestone about handling a Tesla and if they use those pucks to take care of lifting the car and he just cocked his head and was like, “huh?”… so I felt like an idiot.

Maybe I’ll just get it done there and not be a worry Nancy all the time… it’s not good for my blood pressure or my relationship with my wife.