Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:29 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:05 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:03 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:28 pm .

This is the opening for everyone who thinks the other EVs are catching up to chime in. :)
I mean, you could spend 10k less on a car that isn't the best at spying on you, but to each their own. :P
This is the sort of deep analysis that I see all over social media. ;)
Seriously though - The Bolt is 10k less and would work for 90% of the population who only drive around their towns. I have 65k miles on mine and have only DC fast charged 2x - both just to try it out. Hard sell that the Model 3 is the better option.
I'm on team '6-year-old Leaf would suffice for a huge % of people,' so I don't disagree with your use case, or that it's a good car for most people. GM isn't producing nearly enough for everyone who could get by with one to buy one, though. 19k US Bolt/BoltEUV in 1Q23 isn't enough to move the needle. People want (and/or can get) the Tesla, not the Bolt. GM, as with Ford, just aren't yet producing enough. We're still in the 'lofty production plans, less lofty production reality' phase for both that we've been in for years now.

Moreso with GM, and the now-6-year-old Bolt still producing such paltry numbers. Ford's late to the game (11k BEVs this year so far) but seems to be ramping more quickly. Remember that Bolt beat the Model 3 to market. 19k is embarrassing.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:27 pmAny plan from TSLA needs to be taken with a silo of salt. This is the company thst promised us fully automated driving next year for the past decade The Cybertruck is due next year as well, for the past 5 or whatever it's been.

Their MO is to promise big, not deliver, and promise some some more, turning the equity boost into cash flow to keep the lights on and pump out more promises.

Now they promise to "power the world" with renewables?
This is a common misconception. Or, rather, it's a selective truth (that Tesla overpromises on the parts that don't matter to the core goal of sustainable energy) applied where it doesn't fit (manufacturing). We could fill pages with the things Tesla has wildly missed deadlines on, but the one that matters (vehicle production), they're spot on. They've guided 50% annual growth, over a multi-year period, for many years. And that's where they're at. They have years of big jumps when a new model hits (2018, 2021), and years of less while they prep for a new model. Long-term, they've been remarkably accurate at this.

57% CAGR in vehicle production since 2013, which was the first year the Model S was produced at any significant scale. Estimating 1.8M in 2023, they'd be at 55% CAGR since 2013 at the end of this year.

But that's all beside the point--this 'master plan' document isn't Tesla 'promising' to power the world themselves. It's a plan with sources detailing one way the world could power itself sustainably. Sure, Tesla plans to be a big part of a lot of that, but it's not the case that they're 'promising' to do it themselves. This is just an attempt at showing that it can be done, since there's still remarkable resistance to the idea even being feasible.

In short, the part I'm happy about is that the plan itself is being reacted to as reasonable by people who know better than we. Whether Tesla plays as large a part in carrying it out as they hope/plan is beside the point.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:21 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:29 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:05 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:03 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:28 pm .

This is the opening for everyone who thinks the other EVs are catching up to chime in. :)
I mean, you could spend 10k less on a car that isn't the best at spying on you, but to each their own. :P
This is the sort of deep analysis that I see all over social media. ;)
Seriously though - The Bolt is 10k less and would work for 90% of the population who only drive around their towns. I have 65k miles on mine and have only DC fast charged 2x - both just to try it out. Hard sell that the Model 3 is the better option.
I'm on team '6-year-old Leaf would suffice for a huge % of people,' so I don't disagree with your use case, or that it's a good car for most people. GM isn't producing nearly enough for everyone who could get by with one to buy one, though. 19k US Bolt/BoltEUV in 1Q23 isn't enough to move the needle. People want (and/or can get) the Tesla, not the Bolt. GM, as with Ford, just aren't yet producing enough. We're still in the 'lofty production plans, less lofty production reality' phase for both that we've been in for years now.

Moreso with GM, and the now-6-year-old Bolt still producing such paltry numbers. Ford's late to the game (11k BEVs this year so far) but seems to be ramping more quickly. Remember that Bolt beat the Model 3 to market. 19k is embarrassing.
It's true there can be a wait time to get them (although if I didn't care about color, I could have one today), but production quantity wasn't the discussion topic. The Bolt is a car that delivers the same experience for 90% of the people for 10k less. And I disagree with the Leaf - especially here in the South where air cooling battery degradation is real.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My point is it can't meet the need for 90% of people for $10k less. It could meet the need for a small subset of people for $10k less, but if 90% of even the Model 3 buyers suddenly wanted a Bolt, they couldn't get them. (And it very quickly would not be $10k less)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and nobody looks at the Bolt and goes "I WANT that!"

The Mustang Mach E at least looks kind of cool. I know that looks aren't a factor for a decent portion of the population, but damn the Bolt is... can't think of a good word that isn't a bit too insulting.

To be fair I still don't really like the look of the Model 3, but I can't deny the driving experience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember when all electric cars looked the same horrible way...with those awful rear wheel well caps..ugh.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pretty sweet offer.
Order and take delivery of a new Model S or Model X by June 30, 2023, to receive unlimited free Supercharging for the next three years.*No range limitations—just fast, sustainable charging.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:21 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:27 pmAny plan from TSLA needs to be taken with a silo of salt. This is the company thst promised us fully automated driving next year for the past decade The Cybertruck is due next year as well, for the past 5 or whatever it's been.

Their MO is to promise big, not deliver, and promise some some more, turning the equity boost into cash flow to keep the lights on and pump out more promises.

Now they promise to "power the world" with renewables?
This is a common misconception. Or, rather, it's a selective truth (that Tesla overpromises on the parts that don't matter to the core goal of sustainable energy) applied where it doesn't fit (manufacturing). We could fill pages with the things Tesla has wildly missed deadlines on, but the one that matters (vehicle production), they're spot on. They've guided 50% annual growth, over a multi-year period, for many years. And that's where they're at. They have years of big jumps when a new model hits (2018, 2021), and years of less while they prep for a new model. Long-term, they've been remarkably accurate at this.

57% CAGR in vehicle production since 2013, which was the first year the Model S was produced at any significant scale. Estimating 1.8M in 2023, they'd be at 55% CAGR since 2013 at the end of this year.
[/quhere.
I'd argue that rhe only thing they actually deliver on is core delivery guidance because that's the one thing that investors and the SEC wpuld destroy them with if they missed big. And even then they massage numbers on a quarterly basis.

Sure, that's the foundation of their business so good for them ans well done. But the foundation of their value is built on bullshit and missed promises.

[Quote!]
But that's all beside the point--this 'master plan' document isn't Tesla 'promising' to power the world themselves. It's a plan with sources detailing one way the world could power itself sustainably. Sure, Tesla plans to be a big part of a lot of that, but it's not the case that they're 'promising' to do it themselves. This is just an attempt at showing that it can be done, since there's still remarkable resistance to the idea even being feasible.

In short, the part I'm happy about is that the plan itself is being reacted to as reasonable by people who know better than we. Whether Tesla plays as large a part in carrying it out as they hope/plan is beside the point.
I have yet to read the actual plan to I'll admit ignorance hwre.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow - is there any way to see if the Magic Dock is installed anywhere near there?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:47 pm I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow - is there any way to see if the Magic Dock is installed anywhere near there?
It is not. AFAIK, still only very limited spots in NY and CA. Looking in the Tesla app, that appears to be the case.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:52 pm
stessier wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:47 pm I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow - is there any way to see if the Magic Dock is installed anywhere near there?
It is not. AFAIK, still only very limited spots in NY and CA. Looking in the Tesla app, that appears to be the case.
Okay, thanks. I will get free charging in the parking garage I'll be using, but thought it would be fun to check out if I could find one.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I'm sure they're slow-rolling this to avoid issues, but I hope we see some more soon.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Musk chaos has real impact on their public image. Has that turned into demand destruction? Not really but it's a risk.
What we're watching: Elon Musk’s chaotic takeover of Twitter not only pushed the social media company's own ranking down but shook investors' faith in Tesla by making the public more aware of Musk's manic leadership style.

Twitter ranked 97th among the 100 brands survey respondents identified as most visible in the country today. Its Reputational Quotient, or RQ®, score — a measure across seven dimensions touching on character, trust and trajectory — was 59.3 out of a possible 100.

Tesla saw one of the biggest reputation drops of the past year, from 11th in 2022 to 62nd place this year, with a 74.3 RQ (79.5 in 2022).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jalopnik
A German news outlet sifted through over 23,000 of Tesla’s internal files and found a disturbing trend of brushing off customers complaining about dangerous Autopilot glitches while covering the company’s ass.

The publication Handelsblatt got its hands on the data through an unnamed informant. Handelsblatt confirmed the data’s authenticity with Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology, which found no evidence of doctoring or fabrication in the files. Tesla attempted to stop the publication from using this data in its reporting and even threatened legal action against Handelsblatt. The publication, however, decided this was one of the extraordinary circumstances when reporting on such a data breach would be legal under European Union law.

It posted “My autopilot almost killed me”: Tesla files cast doubt on Elon Musk’s promises on Thursday. The story is both in German and behind a paywall
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm not surprised. They have unethical leadership - the only way to cure it is for the board to remove Musk and institute a culture of safety instead of flim flam around overpromised features. And they absolutely should.

Edit: To note, there are a lot of Musk-cult people talking about how the data indicates a low error rate. That's not the point. Their love of their Great Leader obscures that there is a serious ethics problem at the root of this story that is unacceptable in a public company much less one that produces vehicles sold to consumers.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And if you look at the shareholder vote results from earlier this month, there's a zero-percent chance the company is going to oust Musk anytime soon.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:04 am And if you look at the shareholder vote results from earlier this month, there's a zero-percent chance the company is going to oust Musk anytime soon.
Oh I know but I think it's going to bite them eventually.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:52 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:04 am And if you look at the shareholder vote results from earlier this month, there's a zero-percent chance the company is going to oust Musk anytime soon.
Maybe he is attracting more MAGA types than he is driving away people with ethics. It seems that's not uncommon these days.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 am
Maybe he is attracting more MAGA types than he is driving away people with ethics. It seems that's not uncommon these days.
I doubt it. Public opinion has improved some on the MAGA side but I haven't seen any evidence it turned into sales. I more mean they are carelessly risking a major public scandal/government intervention.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:37 am
I doubt it. Public opinion has improved some on the MAGA side but I haven't seen any evidence it turned into sales. I more mean they are carelessly risking a major public scandal/government intervention.
Are MAGA shareholders the same as the MAGA masses though? The question is really, have the loyal progressive shareholders backing TSLA for years and years taken profits after being joined by the masses (MAGA or otherswise), Wallstreet Hedgefunds (how are not known for being progressive), and ETFs like SPY?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Musk-induced PR hits are certainly a concern (my biggest concern personally, above FSD hiccups). Clearly not an issue yet, though, as the Model Y is now the best-selling car in the world. That is a ridiculous achievement given its price. I mean, really, amazing accomplishment for Tesla.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:16 am
malchior wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:37 am
Are MAGA shareholders the same as the MAGA masses though? The question is really, have the loyal progressive shareholders backing TSLA for years and years taken profits after being joined by the masses (MAGA or otherswise), Wallstreet Hedgefunds (how are not known for being progressive), and ETFs like SPY?
Musk holds 13%. Then it's the usual suspects; Vanguard, Blackrock, index funds, etc. Retail shareholders barely move the needle on voting.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
raydude

Post by raydude »

So, my Tesla Model 3 forgot everything for the second time this year. It happened a few days ago, before one of the software updates. I had just gotten into the car after finishing work and it rebooted. After it came back all the profile settings, home and work address, and phone connections were gone. Has this happened to anyone else? The first time it happened I thought it was my fault - I did a soft reboot even though I saw a software update was pending.

This second time I didn't initiate any reboot. The car just did it on its own and promptly had its memory wiped.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Has not happened to me.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have not seen that, but I have heard of one person I know where it happened. Sucks. Once you've set things up again, make sure to tie your driver profile to your Tesla account so you're covered if this ever happens again. Tesla's done (IMO) a bad job informing people that this is a thing they can do.

See Using Tesla Profiles.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today the Oneida Indian Nation announced a partnership to bring a new sales/service center (and additional Superchargers) on their land in upstate NY (where Teslas can currently not be directly sold).

And Oneida gets what would have been the state's sales tax revenue.

This is in addition to at least two similar arrangements in New Mexico that I'm aware of. I love seeing Tesla remain aggressive with protectionist state laws preventing direct sales by manufacturers [who never had franchise agreements in the first place]. It's checks notes the Year of Our Lord 2023. Absolutely ridiculous that it's still a thing that Tesla/Rivian/Lucid/et al can't sell wherever they want to.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:40 pm Today the Oneida Indian Nation announced a partnership to bring a new sales/service center (and additional Superchargers) on their land in upstate NY (where Teslas can currently not be directly sold).

And Oneida gets what would have been the state's sales tax revenue.

This is in addition to at least two similar arrangements in New Mexico that I'm aware of. I love seeing Tesla remain aggressive with protectionist state laws preventing direct sales by manufacturers [who never had franchise agreements in the first place]. It's checks notes the Year of Our Lord 2023. Absolutely ridiculous that it's still a thing that Tesla/Rivian/Lucid/et al can't sell wherever they want to.
Owners of car dealers are generally permanent functionaries of the lower oligarchy. They are some of the wealthiest business owners in any area and in aggregate have massive pull at the local and state levels. Though I still remain surprised that NJ eventually allowed <checks notes> up to 4 whole direct manufacturer sales locations where there is no franchise agreement. One location for every 2M citizens. Sure.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You have to wonder how many state politicians are starting to do the mental math on what the loss of sales tax revenue pencils out to over thousands of $50k cars. Now that production is in the millions and Tesla & others are finding work-arounds so the sales happen somewhere anyway.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:07 pm You have to wonder how many state politicians are starting to do the mental math on what the loss of sales tax revenue pencils out to over thousands of $50k cars. Now that production is in the millions and Tesla & others are finding work-arounds so the sales happen somewhere anyway.
I'm sure there are a few but the political math now is the donations/influence the car dealers have much greater than any lost sales tax revenue. Maybe their power is going to erode over time but until then I expect we'll see more workarounds.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The political math has been that. I'm not convinced it will remain so for much longer.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

raydude wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:24 pm So, my Tesla Model 3 forgot everything for the second time this year.
I've lost Bluetooth connection twice in the 18 months I've owned my Model 3. Not ever had a complete memory wipe.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Meal wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:28 pm
raydude wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:24 pm So, my Tesla Model 3 forgot everything for the second time this year.
I've lost Bluetooth connection twice in the 18 months I've owned my Model 3. Not ever had a complete memory wipe.
I did once, but it was when they did the MCU upgrade. I can forgive that, though apparently not everyone had the same experience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:16 am
I did once, but it was when they did the MCU upgrade. I can forgive that, though apparently not everyone had the same experience.
Was that Phase 4 or Phase 5? I've heard a lot of people have had complaints with the recent movies.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Freyland wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:05 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:16 am
Was that Phase 4 or Phase 5? I've heard a lot of people have had complaints with the recent movies.
:lol:

That was my first reaction as well. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FT
Goldman Sachs was hit by a surge in commercial real estate loan delinquencies in the first quarter, fuelled in part by Elon Musk’s refusal to pay Twitter’s rent.

The value of loans to commercial real estate borrowers (CRE) behind on repayments climbed 612 per cent in the first quarter to $840mn, according to reports filed by Goldman’s licensed banking entity with the US Federal Deposit Insurance Commission.

That was much higher than the rise in delinquent CRE loans reported by the entire US banking industry, which were up 30 per cent over the same period to just over $12bn, according to Bankregdata.com, which collates the FDIC reports.

The jump in delinquencies at Goldman’s deposit-taking business comes at a time when rival banks are warning over growing losses on commercial real estate loans, most of which are tied to office buildings and were made before the pandemic ushered in a work-from-home culture.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

17 fatalities, 736 crashes: The shocking toll of Tesla’s Autopilot
The number of deaths and serious injuries associated with Autopilot also has grown significantly, the data shows. When authorities first released a partial accounting of accidents involving Autopilot in June 2022, they counted only three deaths definitively linked to the technology. The most recent data includes at least 17 fatal incidents, 11 of them since last May, and five serious injuries.

Tesla’s 17 fatal crashes reveal distinct patterns, The Post found: Four involved a motorcycle. Another involved an emergency vehicle. Meanwhile, some of Musk’s decisions — such as widely expanding the availability of the features and stripping the vehicles of radar sensors — appear to have contributed to the reported uptick in incidents, according to experts who spoke with The Post.

Former NHTSA senior safety adviser Missy Cummings, a professor at George Mason University’s College of Engineering and Computing, said the surge in Tesla crashes is troubling.

“Tesla is having more severe — and fatal — crashes than people in a normal data set,” she said in response to the figures analyzed by The Post. One likely cause, she said, is the expanded rollout over the past year and a half of Full Self-Driving, which brings driver-assistance to city and residential streets. “The fact that … anybody and everybody can have it. … Is it reasonable to expect that might be leading to increased accident rates? Sure, absolutely.”

Cummings said the number of fatalities compared to overall crashes was also a concern.
JCC

Post by JCC »

One of my buddies has a Model Y. My personal review is it's an amazing piece of tech and quite an impressive car. However, I find the design and plain asthetic is not to my taste.

Anyway, he's had it for 3 years and I finally drove it for the first time on a double date to dinner Saturday. It's pretty impressive to drive, to put it mildly...

He also then made me use the autopilot to take us most of the way to dinner. Sitting with my hands off the wheel was beyond nerve wracking and so beyond counter intuitive! He also warned me about a specific traffic light that always (briefly) makes the autopilot go haywire for a couple seconds. That was terrifying to experience! haha.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DeSantis Signs Bill Blocking Direct-To-Consumer Car Sales (With A Carveout For Tesla)
That said, the bill does have a carveout for electric-only automakers, meaning Tesla, Rivian, and Lucid are still allowed to sell their cars directly to customers without getting a third-party dealership involved. Legacy automakers that sell electric vehicles still have to use dealerships, though.

As a surprise to no one, the bill was written by lobbyists for the Florida Automobile Dealers Association and didn’t initially include the exception for Tesla and other electric startups. Other lobbyists were able to negotiate that exception, which feels like it was meant to benefit Tesla specifically.

The bill also limits automakers’ ability to control dealer inventory and prices. So if a dealer wants high markups on desirable cars, and another dealer is selling at or below MSRP, automakers won’t be able to reward the better dealer with more inventory and more desirable models.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Recently with the latest update, the car has been staying in standby mode even though I have it off for home location and I shut down the app on the phone when I’m home.

The car can lose about 4% overnight which is driving me crazy. The energy usage app shows while parked it consumed about 4% in standby and to have the car plugged in at home which I never do. Some websites suggest that the car will run if it detects moisture and tries to dry out the car.

I’m sure this is temporary but with our electric bills skyrocketing this past half year, I notice it a lot more.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I had done this math myself during this current 5,000-mile road trip, when I realized that even were I to actively road-trip full time, I would not be able to visit new-to-me sites on a sustained basis as quickly as they're opening. Kind of nuts.

Hopefully a good sign that things won't go down the shitter when the network opens to other automakers.