Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apparently Tesla says if I buy a new Tesla this quarter they will transfer FSD... suddenly I am thinking of getting a new one again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:49 pm Apparently Tesla says if I buy a new Tesla this quarter they will transfer FSD... suddenly I am thinking of getting a new one again.
Funny, I saw that but my mom has my early 3 which has FSD. Not sure I could transfer from that at this point. Working on my FIL, though, who has an early 3 with FSD and wants an X.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Somewhat random question: If you had an interesting potential job opportunity at Tesla, would you explore it? Or would working for Elon Musk be a deal breaker?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:57 am Somewhat random question: If you had an interesting potential job opportunity at Tesla, would you explore it? Or would working for Elon Musk be a deal breaker?
Speaking as the person whose opinion is likely least important, I'd explore it. Musk is gonna Musk, and his shadow over the company at this stage is certainly a net negative. But the company is inarguably a massive force today, working at a hugely important goal. And there are well over 100k people working on that mission. Musk certainly wouldn't sway me away, especially if the company's mission aligns with mine.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:57 am Somewhat random question: If you had an interesting potential job opportunity at Tesla, would you explore it? Or would working for Elon Musk be a deal breaker?
As a software engineer, no way would I go anywhere near Tesla. I am not up for a cut throat, give it all work environment. It may be different in your kind of work.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Not a chance. I believe in the mission but by all accounts it is a horrible place to work for engineers (non-software in my case). I can find comparable compensation and maintain my sanity elsewhere.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:08 am
As a software engineer, no way would I go anywhere near Tesla. I am not up for a cut throat, give it all work environment. It may be different in your kind of work.
Seeing him openly and publicly attacking his employees and sicking HR on them out their own stupidity and arrogant avarice and the labor lawsuits against them, I would have to be pretty desperate to not only go back to work but work for one of his companies. It's been endemic for as long as he's made himself a public persona. Also, as someone who formerly worked as for a suppler for them, they were abysmal at intercompany tech and relations. More than that I don't know what I can/should say. The Internet can fill in some of the blanks, though.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:06 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:49 pm Apparently Tesla says if I buy a new Tesla this quarter they will transfer FSD... suddenly I am thinking of getting a new one again.
Funny, I saw that but my mom has my early 3 which has FSD. Not sure I could transfer from that at this point. Working on my FIL, though, who has an early 3 with FSD and wants an X.
I asked for clarity on what this does to my trade-in value and they have provided no useful response.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sales folk at Tesla being less than fully-informed? Say it ain't so!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'd work there as a union steward.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Is it me or does that sound like a recipe for sexual harassment lawsuits? "Let's talk it over in the seXy room". "Alright everybody, let's head over to the eXposure room for a little pow-wow". I'm hoping someone pulls a fast one and requests a conference room be named the "XXX" room. Because if one X is good, surely 3 Xs would be awesome.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote:
And the Model 3 would have been E if Ford hadn’t owned it.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 339917002/
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I pick up my 2023 AWD Model 3 on Saturday. Still waiting to confirm the FSD transfer and trade-in impact.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:47 pm I pick up my 2023 AWD Model 3 on Saturday. Still waiting to confirm the FSD transfer and trade-in impact.
Congrats! Mind if I ask the sticker on that?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:47 pm I pick up my 2023 AWD Model 3 on Saturday. Still waiting to confirm the FSD transfer and trade-in impact.
Damn, son! Any difference from your initial config?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:50 pm
Damn, son! Any difference from your initial config?
Only changes are MSM -> Black and RWD -> AWD

Black is only because I bought from inventory and it was discounted to basically match the grey price.
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:48 pm
Congrats! Mind if I ask the sticker on that?
47280 I think, it was +1500 for Black, but -1460 because inventory and a bonus -500 for self-referral, yay?

trading in my current 3 for around 28k and 7500 tax credit, so basically free! :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well played!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. For some reason I thought you were already on AWD. So that's a 25-30 mile range bump over the OG RWD, too, right?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:03 pm Nice. For some reason I thought you were already on AWD. So that's a 25-30 mile range bump over the OG RWD, too, right?
Functionally a bit more since with this one I will leave the aero covers on the wheels since I think they go better with the black.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:55 pm 47280 I think, it was +1500 for Black, but -1460 because inventory and a bonus -500 for self-referral, yay?

trading in my current 3 for around 28k and 7500 tax credit, so basically free! :D
Can you adopt me so I can live in a world where ~$11k is considered free! :P
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:24 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:55 pm 47280 I think, it was +1500 for Black, but -1460 because inventory and a bonus -500 for self-referral, yay?

While the math doesn't quite add up, I would venture he got $11k worth out of his Model 3, and now he has a new, better car.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The world is called FinTech. It's a nice place. There's a reason we ran away from SC. Technically I started my FInTech career there, but the market was a wee bit soft.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There are entirely too many people in this world without empathy and/or ethics.
telcta

Post by telcta »

After almost 5 years with the Model 3 we took the car for its longest drive. We just got back from the Outer Banks Corolla NC, from Connecticut. It was a very stressful drive but nothing related to the car. Going through NY/NJ was pure hell both ways. Not having any experience with alternate routes, paying tolls in that area, I just let the car guide us. George Washington bridge on a Saturday was probably not the way to go. That was a 12 hour return trip.

With regards to the car, it was pure joy. We had the AC on the entire trip, had no issues at the superchargers, hitting 252kw at one and only needing 10 minutes before we were ready to continue. It was barely enough time to run in and use the restrooms.

I couldn’t be happier with the range and the trip results showed 222 Wh/mi on 560 miles. We charged three times for a total of $38. In the Outer Banks, there was a Tesla destination charger that kept us going for no cost plus the house we rented I was able to trickle charge with my 110 adapter.

I didn’t use autopilot as much as some of you as I didn’t trust anybody around me going through some of the more congested areas. I also was struggling with the car inexplicably wanting to get into the passing lane for no reason. No one behind or in front of me, just put on its signal and moved to the left to “follow the route”. Other times, FSD was great when approaching slower traffic and waiting to get in the passing lane to overtake, then returning to the travel lane.

I’m actually encouraged to plan more trips (staying away from NY/NJ) for future vacations. I would love to see Asheville and go more west as we look for places to possibly retire.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad that it mostly went well!

As for the passing lane, I don't have FSD but I do have Navigate on Autopilot on one of our cars, and I've seen it do the same thing. It must have some areas where it has or is determining incorrect lane info.
malchior

Post by malchior »

telcta wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:59 pmI’m actually encouraged to plan more trips (staying away from NY/NJ) for future vacations. I would love to see Asheville and go more west as we look for places to possibly retire.
FWIW as a resident of the area Tesla navigation doesn't know what locals know like other apps do. One of the golden rules is NEVER TAKE THE GWB UNLESS IT IS THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. From CT there is the Cuomo bridge on the NY Thruway to the Garden State Parkway route for instance that is usually better. Also, taking the tour of Bronx -> Queens -> Brooklyn (via 278) to the Verrazano is technically a little longer but often much faster. My recommendation is to use a different nav choice through difficult areas (also true of 95/DC) and you'll avoid big problems.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:07 pm Sales folk at Tesla being less than fully-informed? Say it ain't so!
Finally got the answer by ordering and pestering the team. Interesting (and happily) they gave me the $15k credit for FSD without adjusting my trade-in valuation! :D
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:39 pm

While the math doesn't quite add up, I would venture he got $11k worth out of his Model 3, and now he has a new, better car.
It will end up being 15.5k out of pocket after the tax credit, and trading in a 5 year old, out of warranty, with a few dings car for a brand new, better car may not have been free, but it's still a pretty good deal. 4 more years of warranty overall and 5 more years of battery warranty might be less than 15k, but it still helps me feel more comfortable.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:53 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:07 pm Sales folk at Tesla being less than fully-informed? Say it ain't so!
Finally got the answer by ordering and pestering the team. Interesting (and happily) they gave me the $15k credit for FSD without adjusting my trade-in valuation! :D
Another data point that they don't internally value FSD very highly.
telcta

Post by telcta »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:53 pm It will end up being 15.5k out of pocket after the tax credit, and trading in a 5 year old, out of warranty, with a few dings car for a brand new, better car may not have been free, but it's still a pretty good deal. 4 more years of warranty overall and 5 more years of battery warranty might be less than 15k, but it still helps me feel more comfortable.
Good call upgrading your car. With my Model 3 turning 5 in September it'll be less able to do any self driving without new hardware and updated cameras. If I was still working, I'd seriously considering getting another one but now I'm hoping this car will last me many years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We're still chugging along in the X, which is now 50 months old and approaching 65k miles. Definitely plan to keep that one for awhile--it's much harder to justify a quick(ish) upgrade without the tax incentives and given the higher depreciation hit, and while its charge curve doesn't quite match current vehicles, it's still a fantastic road-tripping tank.

If/when they start offering one with > 400 miles on the guess-o-meter, I'll be interested. I would certainly appreciate the improved charging curve, rear screen, and HW4 suite on the current model, but not enough to take the hit in 2023.

The 3 just turned 3, and I could see us replacing that if the Highland refresh is enticing enough. That one qualifies for the Colorado credit, and the depreciation hit is far less than the X.

On the other hand, we're just now finally at the point where Colorado plate renewal isn't obscene with these cars.
telcta

Post by telcta »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:41 pm
telcta wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:59 pmI’m actually encouraged to plan more trips (staying away from NY/NJ) for future vacations. I would love to see Asheville and go more west as we look for places to possibly retire.
FWIW as a resident of the area Tesla navigation doesn't know what locals know like other apps do. One of the golden rules is NEVER TAKE THE GWB UNLESS IT IS THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. From CT there is the Cuomo bridge on the NY Thruway to the Garden State Parkway route for instance that is usually better. Also, taking the tour of Bronx -> Queens -> Brooklyn (via 278) to the Verrazano is technically a little longer but often much faster. My recommendation is to use a different nav choice through difficult areas (also true of 95/DC) and you'll avoid big problems.
Thank you so much. In the past few years I've tried to take a more laid-back approach to life and not obsess over researching every part of our trip planning but obvioulsy it's necessary sometimes. The other thing I wished i had looked into more was getting an EZpass transponder. I'm quite certain I blew through a toll both on the NJ turnpike thinking it was a pay by plate system. I feel like such an idiot and I can't wait to see what the fine is going to be. I was a little overwhelmed trying to read signs and navigate across NY/NJ.

I do have to say a good thing about the NJ turnpike... having a dedicated, separated three-lane highway where trucks are forbidden was wonderful.
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:37 pm As for the passing lane, I don't have FSD but I do have Navigate on Autopilot on one of our cars, and I've seen it do the same thing. It must have some areas where it has or is determining incorrect lane info.
It happened mostly on Rt 13 in Delaware so I can see that it may be trying to figure out the correct lane. Oh, and that bridge and tunnel system going over the Chesapeake Bay was something to see.
malchior

Post by malchior »

telcta wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:53 amI do have to say a good thing about the NJ turnpike... having a dedicated, separated three-lane highway where trucks are forbidden was wonderful.
I like it for a different reason. I almost always drive with the trucks. The trucks aren't allowed in the left lane and the left lane is generally clear for passing. Unlike the cars only side where all lanes are full of non-professional drivers driving...non-professionally. Especially NYers who often drive in the left lane at the speed limit for absolutely no reason. That behavior drives me absolutely batty.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:43 am
If/when they start offering one with > 400 miles on the guess-o-meter, I'll be interested.
Given that Reuters report, it could be any day now. :P
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:19 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:43 am
If/when they start offering one with > 400 miles on the guess-o-meter, I'll be interested.
Given that Reuters report, it could be any day now. :P
:pop:
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Tesla Sold a Myth About Batteries That Everyone Wanted to Be True
For years studies and government penalties have shown that Teslas have the largest gap between rated and real-world range. Now, new Reuters reporting reveals how systematically Tesla managed that gap: by reportedly rigging its range estimation software, by manipulating what its dashboards showed drivers, and even by creating a “diversion team” to smother customer complaints.

That Tesla exaggerated the long ranges that defined its vision for electric vehicles shouldn’t be surprising. After all, some of the company’s earliest deceptions came around Superchargers (announced in 2012 as a grid-independent, solar-powered free charger network with the motto “drive free, forever, on the power of the sun) and the Potemkin battery swap station that first sucked me into the Tesla story. Tesla has used its remote access to customer vehicles to surreptitiously cut battery capacity and charge rates, as well as to perform stealth recalls in apparent violation of auto safety regulations. That its culture of deceit turns out to have been so focused on range only proves how important range is to Tesla’s brand and product strategy.

But the problem isn’t just that Tesla hoodwinked customers, investors, and regulators about the extent of its vehicles’ real-world range, an act evocative of the infamous VW “dieselgate” scandal. This pattern only fueled an even larger myth: that loading up EVs with massive battery packs is a viable, sustainable, apple-to-apples replacement for gas vehicles. Only now, 20 years after Tesla’s founding, is the truth finally becoming more obvious: EVs remain too expensive for most buyers, even at high prices most long-range EVs don’t make money, and supply chains aren’t scaling anywhere near fast enough to put a 300-mile range EV in every driveway in time to slow climate change.

Thanks to Tesla’s leadership, consumers are buying the biggest battery EVs they can, thinking that they’re saving the planet when they’re actually hoarding unused batteries to ward off their personal range anxiety. Because Americans only drive 40 miles a day on average, and because 95 percent of car trips are 30 miles or less, the range figures Tesla has normalized are wildly overkill and exacerbate battery supply chain issues that are only just starting to bite. Only wild inefficiency can make it feel like EVs can replace gas cars perfectly, and even then, with the best charging network available, long-distance journeys will still never be as fast and efficient as they are with gas cars, because it will always take longer to juice up an EV.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hackers manage to unlock Tesla software-locked features worth up to $15,000
A group of security researchers (aka hackers) at TU Berlin announced that they managed to exploit a weakness in the onboard computer to unlock [heated seats]
They plan to unveil the result of their exploit in a presentation called “Jailbreaking an Electric Vehicle in 2023 or What It Means to Hotwire Tesla’s x86-Based Seat Heater” next week.

The hack requires physical access to the car, and it involves a “voltage fault injection attack” on the AMD-based infotainment system:
Ultimately, the hackers believe that they can unlock virtually all software-locked features inside Tesla vehicles even Full Self-Driving – though they believe that it would require some more reverse-engineering.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If anyone wants to use my referral link so I don't need hacker's to unlock my acceleration boost, just let me know. :D

I just learned just one referral would make my car even faster. I have no interest in paying for it, but if I got it for free? I'd take it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter