tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: tesla motors

Post by Jaymann »

The Meal wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:51 pm Model 3 gets the premium connectivity trial for 30 days.
Ah, so that was long gone years ago. Never missed it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unless it's an older one--used to be free for the life of the car (as on my OG 3). If you go to the software section of the car's settings page it'll give details for the car in question.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 3 was ordered in the last week of free premium connectivity forever, so I will never buy a new car!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:00 pm My 3 was ordered in the last week of free premium connectivity forever, so I will never buy a new car!
I mean you drive 17 miles/month, so that sounds about right.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:01 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:00 pm My 3 was ordered in the last week of free premium connectivity forever, so I will never buy a new car!
I mean you drive 17 miles/month, so that sounds about right.
17321/49 = 353.5

Shush!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes, in before the lock! My daughter has premium, which is not surprising given I was the fourth person in line to purchase. She told me she uses the caraoke to help teach her kids how to read. It works while you are driving if you hit "I am a passenger."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:06 pm Yes, in before the lock! My daughter has premium, which is not surprising given I was the fourth person in line to purchase. She told me she uses the caraoke to help teach her kids how to read. It works while you are driving if you hit "I am a passenger."
So they're all reading along while singing Iggy Pop?
Spoiler:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Updated energy graph is long overdue.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/986/t ... ular-times
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My premium connectivity has expired. Sitting in my garage I still have everything, including Netflix, internet browser and satellite view. Will have to check again while out driving.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Update: While driving around everything still works, including Netflix. Not sure what I'm missing from no premium, but I'm not missing it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Good lord, someone make him stop.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So what happens if you get half way across a calm sea, and a storm moves in?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:51 pmGood lord, someone make him stop.
If only someone could.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ha...

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:06 pm So what happens if you get half way across a calm sea, and a storm moves in?
Hasn't just about every car that has sunk served "briefly as a boat?" I mean it's just a weird, hedge-y way to make the claim. In the middle of a major hurricane no less.

Like when he claimed it would power your house during the Texas power outage.

Come wildfire season will he claim it can serve briefly as fire protection?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:21 pm Like when he claimed it would power your house during the Texas power outage.
Given that the F-150 Lightning can do this, it doesn't seem particularly outrageous.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Tesla phasing out ultrasonic sensors

The last part of the quote is amazing. Of course it won't affect crash ratings. It'll probably lead to more low speed impacts though. I have pretty low confidence they'll get the camera coverage to see all the obstacles the ultrasonic sensors can detect.
Tesla has announced that it's phasing out ultrasonic sensors (USS) used in its EVs to detect short-range obstacles, Electrek has reported. While other automakers use LiDAR, radar and other sensors on top of cameras, Elon Musk's company is determined to use only cameras in its Tesla Vision driver assistance system.

It will remove the ultrasonic sensors from Model 3 and Model Y vehicles over the next few months, then eliminate them in Model S and Model X models by 2023. They're mainly used for parking and short-range collision warnings, Tesla said.

With the changes, new vehicles not equipped with USS will have some features limited or disabled, including Park Assist that warns of surrounding objects when traveling under 5 MPH, along with Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon. The features will be restored via over-the-air updates "in the near future," once the features perform just as well with the camera-only system, the company said. It believes the changes will not affect the crash safety ratings of these vehicles.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, this one will be interesting to see how it plays out. Seems like they need at least a camera on the front bumper. The existing front cameras could conceivably pick up and model static objects as you pull into a garage or tight parking spot, but that has limitations.

Of course, the existing ultrasonics have their own blind spots.

Still waiting for vision-only AP to have its limitations removed (85 MPH, 2nd following distance vs AP/radar 90 MPH, 1st distance).
malchior

Post by malchior »

They have blind spots but I'm sorta baffled because they're relatively cheap and well understood. They are already saying upcoming vehicles will be released without them and have features disabled. So they are commanding a luxury SUV/car price but are making moves to up profits while having less features? You have to figure the rest of the industry must be doubling down efforts to catch up because Tesla is making some real odd decisions.

That said, if they disable them in existing cars it'll be a massive debacle unless Tesla Vision becomes magically aware.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:01 pm They have blind spots but I'm sorta baffled because they're relatively cheap and well understood.
You mean like rain sensors? :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:42 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:21 pm Like when he claimed it would power your house during the Texas power outage.
Given that the F-150 Lightning can do this, it doesn't seem particularly outrageous.
Except it doesn't exist, unlike the Lightning. The Cyberboattruck is a unicorn that will fill whatever the need is at the time. As long as it's perpetually one year away from production.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:03 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:01 pm They have blind spots but I'm sorta baffled because they're relatively cheap and well understood.
Right!? Another thing that makes you scratch your head. It's good enough so they just don't fix it. I actually without thinking about it half-press the wiper button and flip it off auto anytime it thinks it's raining out of nowhere. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:10 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:03 pm
Right!? Another thing that makes you scratch your head. It's good enough so they just don't fix it. I actually without thinking about it half-press the wiper button and flip it off auto anytime it thinks it's raining out of nowhere. :)
Except now you can't do that while autosteer is enabled (same with auto-high beams). Both features have gotten a lot better lately IMO, but especially with the wipers I'd rather pay the extra $5 or whatever and have the traditional sensor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:15 pmExcept now you can't do that while autosteer is enabled (same with auto-high beams). Both features have gotten a lot better lately IMO, but especially with the wipers I'd rather pay the extra $5 or whatever and have the traditional sensor.
Yeah. I however generally don't use autosteer too much anymore unfortunately. I tend to only take longer road trips with my wife and she hates it because we had some VERY HAIRY phantom braking incidents. I previously related one where we were going 75 MPH and the car basically hard braked on the NJ Parkway. We had another occasion of that on Route 1 in NJ which led to me getting screamed at in a parking lot. :roll:

Another recent change that is driving me crazy is the collision warnings. They are ridiculously sensitive out of nowhere. To the point where they go off 2-3 times on my short trips around town where there is zero chance of a collision. My wife borderline hates the car at this point which has been a fun transition. So when I see them doubling down on this strategy which has made the car go through phases of real-world beta testing it makes me wonder if I'm going to have to sell a car that I otherwise think is great.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Do you have collision warnings set to late? I can't remember the last time I had a false alarm in either car.

Phantom braking is one thing that def I proved for me with the removal of radar. Don't think I've had one in weeks.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:10 pm Do you have collision warnings set to late? I can't remember the last time I had a false alarm in either car.
It auto-resets now to Medium every time no matter what. But all settings are sensitive. It got worse maybe mid-summer after an update. Traffic in my area has a lot of stop and start with heavy braking which adds to it.
The Manual wrote:Forward Collision Warning automatically resets to Medium at the beginning of each drive.
Phantom braking is one thing that def I proved for me with the removal of radar. Don't think I've had one in weeks.
It could be better now. Like I said I don't use it if she is in the car. I have a tourney out in BFE mid-PA end of next week. I'll be solo so I'll be experimenting. I also got myself a CCS adapter so we'll see how EA pans out - which reminds me that I need to go test it. There are superchargers on the way but coverage is very limited in the area I'm visiting.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:27 pm
The Manual wrote:Forward Collision Warning automatically resets to Medium at the beginning of each drive.
Did not know about that change. I'll have to check my settings. Maybe you're just a closer follower than I am. :D

I also got myself a CCS adapter so we'll see how EA pans out
Sweet. Both my cars need the retrofit for CCS compatibility, which isn't available yet. If the cost isn't nuts, I do plan to get an adapter for max roadtrip flexibility.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:50 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:27 pm
Did not know about that change. I'll have to check my settings. Maybe you're just a closer follower than I am. :D
My wife and I laughed at one because it alerted on a right-turn that had to be 10 seconds away at that speed (5-10 MPH). I am glad we don't have Tesla insurance because I get multiple even on short drives. My rate would be through the ceiling! At least they are real cars and not false alarms.

I also got myself a CCS adapter so we'll see how EA pans out
Sweet. Both my cars need the retrofit for CCS compatibility, which isn't available yet. If the cost isn't nuts, I do plan to get an adapter for max roadtrip flexibility.
Yeah I checked before I put in the order. Some Ys shipped without it around the time I took delivery due to parts shortages.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

2022.36.1 just started rolling and has some slick improvements.
  • Customize cabin overhead protection temp
  • Redesigned energy app with more Bolt-like detail
  • Nav ETA and media info visible via the Tesla app
  • More in-car Supercharger detail (eg historical usage patterns)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior

Post by malchior »

I got a session in at EA with my CCS adapter. The first two stations did not work. Lol. There was a maintenance guy there actively upgrading them and he said give "10" a try since he upgraded it yesterday. I did so and it worked.

I paid in the app and that worked well. Added about 30 kWh in my session.

Edit: One thing I'll say is that the comments about the plug being an issue on the car side might be right but I only had about 20 minutes of observation. With this adapter, you connect it into the CCS plug and then insert it into the Tesla. It fits exactly right. I saw a couple of people who had trouble with the charging. The person next to me struggling with a couple inserts and you could see the fit of the plug wasn't square - it was sagging a bit. It might be making poor contact with the pins.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

OK, I'm about to make Zaxxon squeal like a school girl -- today I picked up a brand new Tesla.

I didn't buy it, mind you, it's an Uber rental from Hertz. It definitely took some adjustment (and I hope I can adjust back when driving a normal car) but I seemed to get the hang of it. Except one thing: I can't figure out how to lock the damn doors when I leave the car. There is only the card, which I need to start the car and initially used to unlock the door. I don't have a fob, which apparently would lock the car when I walk away.

Any other quick tips or tricks? Not sure how long I'll have the thing, it's on a week-by-week basis. I know the Rogue is going to be totaled, but no punchline yet (how much they will pay me). I had to drive to the tow yard today to fill out paperwork to release the Versa to the insurance company. The Tesla I rent on a week-by-week basis.

As far as I can tell, the nearest supercharger is at a Meijer that's about 14 miles away. The charge dropped 3% one-way during rush hour traffic (and the same coming home). There's apparently a different-brand charger about half as far, the only one actually in my town. But from what I can tell, that is much slower. It's a shopping center with no nearby bars or restaurants -- boo. At 88% I connected it to my house power to see what it does overnight. Charging from 38%-91% at the Supercharger took about 30 minutes and two seriously board kids (although my son discovered you can apparently play games on the screen -- I did not let him though).

The Hertz manager mentioned that Uber has vowed to go all-green by 2030, and that California is already so. Hybrids need not apply, must be full electric to qualify. When the verdict comes on the Versa, we'll have some decisions to make. Both of our cars were paid off, my wife was not keen on a new car payment, much less two. Renting the Tesla, as long as I maintain 30 trips per week, will pay for itself plus some. It also provides a needed second car, and insurance is included in the rental cost. If both cars are trashed, we could get by awhile just buying one (and maybe my wife's dream car -- a Honda minivan).
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice! To lock with the card, tap it on the driver's door under the camera (same place as to unlock it).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Charging via a standard electrical outlet takes forever. My daughter does it, but she has no commute atm. Nice that you got an Uber rental so there shouldn't be any hassle about how you are using the vehicle.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Today I did the supercharger to 80%, have it on house power now until morning. Todays travels took me from 100 to 29%, a large part of that on an hour-long highway drive. A 30 minute drive on city streets stopping every couple of feet only burned about 2%.

Uber actually sent an email today telling drivers to lock with the card (I thought I tried it, maybe I need to do standing on one foot next time). Apparently, lots of drivers were using the screen and locking the card inside the car (note to Elon -- Nissan solved this problem -- the doors will not lock with the key in the car).

Next stupid question -- where might I find the emergency flashers? When I'm on the street waiting on someone, it's helpful to put flashers on so traffic knows I'm not going to move. I checked Emergency, I checked Lights...those would be the obvious places to look but I did not find.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Flashers are like the one physical button (on the ceiling).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Never thought to look there, thanks!

I got a nice tip today from a young Asian lady thrilled to have her first Tesla experience. About half my riders have issues opening the door -- either way, from the outside or the inside.

My kids like it, although my son keeps wanting to play the Sonic game. I think I'm getting better letting the braking charge the battery -- today I made it home from the charging station only losing 1%, not 3%. Still, most of my rides were early this morning without much traffic...I started at 6 am, and by 10 am, i had to drop off a guy right next to the Meijer I've been charging at, so I turned off for a bit as I was around 30%, and charged back to 60% which got me through the work day, as well as some errands which included shopping at the Meijer so I could recharge fully.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

My phrase that pays: "Thumb in the fat end, pull on the skinny part."

And when they're getting out: "Push the button at the top of the handle."
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Rolling Stone: How Many Women Were Abused to Make That Tesla?
Blickman is one of seven former Tesla workers who have filed sexual-harassment lawsuits against Musk’s car company in the past 10 months. The women, most of whom were let go, allege a level of sexual harassment that paints Tesla as more like one of William Blake’s dark “Satanic Mills” than a high-flying Silicon Valley corporation saving the environment.

The following story is based on court documents, including those filed on behalf of the women, and Tesla’s filings in these cases, as well as interviews with five of the women, their friends, and co-workers. In their lawsuits and their interviews, the women describe a workplace rife with sexual harassment and a culture of indifference or hostility to their concerns and complaints.

Tesla, which has not had an active public-relations department since 2020, does not typically respond to press inquiries, and did not respond to multiple requests for comment for this story. In its court filings in the women’s cases, Tesla invoked the arbitration clause in its employment agreement and has denied the women’s claims. “Tesla has always and continues to strictly prohibit its employees from engaging in any form of sexual harassment,” Tesla asserts in filings in one of the cases. The company emphasizes that it works to ensure “a safe and respectful work environment,” backing this up with multiple declarations by employees in various roles. And it cites its anti-harassment training and “See Something Say Something” and “Take Charge” programs that “empower employees to report any issues,” and claims it “promptly and thoroughly investigates . . . sexual harassment and, if substantiated . . . takes appropriate disciplinary measures, up to and including termination.” When reached by phone, the company’s lead lawyer, Sara A. Begley of Holland & Knight, acknowledged that she had received Rolling Stone’s inquiries, and then offered a terse “no comment.”

Tesla didn’t answer questions about Musk’s sexually charged public persona and how it might trickle down in potentially damaging and unforeseen ways.

Is the atmosphere at Tesla's factory worse than a typical Ford or Honda factory? Hard to say - but I do know the leaders of those companies aren't consistently posting '69' memes on Twitter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Meal wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:27 am My phrase that pays: "Thumb in the fat end, pull on the skinny part."

And when they're getting out: "Push the button at the top of the handle."
Phrasing