tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

Took a road trip this weekend that shows some other sides of the EV road trip experience. 3 nights, 2 of which we stayed at motels with chargers on-site. For those 2 days, 450 miles and zero time 'spent' charging.

Third night was at a 'primitive' campground (no hookups). Drove about 90 miles there, including about a dozen stops at points at a national park on the way (read: inefficient, A/C while idle, etc). Camped overnight in the car with camp mode on and HVAC running for 9 hours overnight, then drove ~100 miles this morning before charging again. Not bad to get about 200 miles off of 80% consumed battery in those circumstances. Cool view of the stars through the vehicle roof, too.

Finished up today. All-in 850 miles for the long weekend. Total time spent charging on the road was 54 minutes, during which we wolfed down two of our meals. Overall efficiency of 86.5% relative to EPA rated, including the camp mode usage. 86 kWh via Superchargers, 158 kWh via L2 chargers at those first two motels.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That sounds so awesome!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Follow up to the incident where the Tesla hard-locked in the middle of a highway:

<UPDATE 9/24-2>Service advisor followed up as promised later that afternoon with more technical details: Failure due to isolation fault somewhere in the rear drive unit. They confirmed based on this failure and how the car locked down there was nothing I could have done to get...

...the car to roll despite my repeat efforts to activate tow mode and release the e-brake via the console while it was still available. They didn't know if this failure mode could still occur with a new drive unit or if a software fix can be pushed. Nor did...

...they seem to know how pervasive this issue could be with newer/other models. I consider the answer to these questions and how Tesla continues to address it critical to my continued faith in the car and the brand. </UPDATE 9/24-2>
Yikes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

One of my investment group buddies had a friend who went to Vegas about a month or so ago. Got a limo from the airport and about 10 minutes into the ride they got t-boned by a Tesla. Apparently the Tesla driver was a guy who rented it via one of those "AirBNB for cars" things. Had no idea how to drive with autopilot, etc. The limo passenger spent 20 days in the hospital.

In other news, saw an 12-year old driving a Tesla Model S in the neighborhood. I know he was 12 because I know his dad, who was in the back seat at the time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Idiots gonna be idiots.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:55 am Idiots gonna be idiots.
Yeah, my take is that we're not ready for nice/cool things.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:18 am
coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:55 am Idiots gonna be idiots.
Yeah, my take is that we're not ready for nice/cool things.
What's the phrase? As you make something idiot-proof, someone will just invent a better idiot?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm assuming Zaxxon applied for the FSD open beta. Anyone else? I read what they are judging and just assumed I wouldn't be approved, and also I am only really interested in the "finished" product. I barely use cruise control, much less autosteer or NoAP.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:25 pm I'm assuming Zaxxon applied for the FSD open beta. Anyone else? I read what they are judging and just assumed I wouldn't be approved, and also I am only really interested in the "finished" product. I barely use cruise control, much less autosteer or NoAP.
I have not. I didn't buy FSD on either of our cars. EAP on one, base AP on the other.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Huh. I know we've talked about this a half dozen times but I guess it never sticks in my brain.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

I pressed the request button a few days ago and the app was updated and now shows a safety score. I’m about 3 days in and it dinged me immediately for forward collision warning which in no way was an issue (for me) as the car in front was taking his sweet time turning into a driveway. That alarm startles me more than anything else.

I also got hit with traveling at an unsafe distance (which only applies on a highway over 50) for 14% of the time. And that entire time was on autopilot with 3-4 car distance set… guess I need to bump that up.

Overall I’m at 95 safety score with about 70 miles traveled. It’s crazy how it’s all broken down by each trip and gives the fleet median of each factor tracked.

My OCD of trying to get 100% is probably making me a less safe driver. It’s like trying to get all the achievements in a game.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I saw posts about people being dinged for hard braking when they are doing one pedal driving which is kind of amusing, but to be fair the regen braking can be a bit abrupt if you just drop your foot off the accelerator.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

telcta wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pmI also got hit with traveling at an unsafe distance (which only applies on a highway over 50) for 14% of the time. And that entire time was on autopilot with 3-4 car distance set… guess I need to bump that up.
You are [supposed to be] unable to rack up any dings while AP is engaged. It sounds like maybe they need to work out some bugs in that reporting.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:41 pm
telcta wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pmI also got hit with traveling at an unsafe distance (which only applies on a highway over 50) for 14% of the time. And that entire time was on autopilot with 3-4 car distance set… guess I need to bump that up.
You are [supposed to be] unable to rack up any dings while AP is engaged. It sounds like maybe they need to work out some bugs in that reporting.
Except for dings for pay attention/hand on wheel reminders.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:45 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:41 pm
Except for dings for pay attention/hand on wheel reminders.
And then only when you're so bad as to get sent to AP jail.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I’m going to try that stretch of highway again. It’s possible with that low percentage it could have been before or after autopilot. I did shut it off prior to the exit ramp. And I did not have an audible warning or disengagement other than one flashing blue reminder. Forced Autopilot disengagements are tracked separately.

It doesn’t show anything about tracking acceleration which is surprising.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

telcta wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:56 pm It doesn’t show anything about tracking acceleration which is surprising.
So maybe I do have a chance. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

I can confirm that using auto pilot does NOT ding me for following too close. I tried it a couple times on the same stretch of highway, once at 5 car lengths and another at 4 and neither negatively hit me.

My safety score is sitting at 97 right now and I doubt I’ll hit 1,000 miles to completely wash that out by the weekend.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice.

I have a fun anecdote this week. I had a few instances of 'Park Assist Unavailable' randomly pop up while driving on last weekend's trip. Submitted a service request in the app Monday morning, had a mobile service appt set up for next Monday. Today I received a message in the app that this was a firmware bug in the prior release, and the update I received on Monday resolved it.

I'd rather not have software issues at all, but at least they seem to be quickly resolved with little to no effort on my part.
telcta

Post by telcta »

So far after 3 years, my only issue that caused me to submit a service request was the charger door didn’t open when I touched it. It worked fine from the app and the screen but touching to open stopped. There was an alert that said the charge point may not open when pressed.

Mobile service came out and in under 30 minutes replaced the whole charge port. It was nice to chat with the service technician about how fast Tesla is growing and how much more mobile service has expanded in Connecticut.

Regarding my safety score. With my driving today, I see a small uptick on hard braking. I believe I had used the brakes during regenerative braking to stop at a quick turning red light. Also I’m at 0.4% for aggressive turning which I’m not sure where I used “extreme” force in a turn.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For the Tesla lover in you......Tesla cam stories

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Some of those are nuts.

In other news, Tesla reported their 3Q production/deliveries this weekend.

Will be a fun trend line once Q4 is bolted on top at the end there. The way Tesla has been able to manage around supply issues relative to the rest of the industry is nuts. +73% YoY in Q3 vs the other OEMs averaging -25%ish, so Tesla's delta is around +100% vs the 'usual' +50%. That -25% could be off; just going off of some reports I've seen (eg GM is -33% in the US YoY). It's possible there are other OEMs with positive growth.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:58 pm Some of those are nuts.

In other news, Tesla reported their 3Q production/deliveries this weekend.

Will be a fun trend line once Q4 is bolted on top at the end there. The way Tesla has been able to manage around supply issues relative to the rest of the industry is nuts. +73% YoY in Q3 vs the other OEMs averaging -25%ish, so Tesla's delta is around +100% vs the 'usual' +50%. That -25% could be off; just going off of some reports I've seen (eg GM is -33% in the US YoY). It's possible there are other OEMs with positive growth.
Impressive delivery numbers. YoY is great but they're still in early stage growth. It will look parabolic but size & market pressure will start to kick in.

Side note, they need to lose the decimals. It looks desperate. Does an extra 350 cars really matter when you're reporting 627K? If so, don't report in 000s. I know they dumped PR but they still have an IR department, right? [Edit: realizing that the chart might not be from Tesla. Whoever made it needs to lose the decimals]

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:48 pm Side note, they need to lose the decimals. It looks desperate. Does an extra 350 cars really matter when you're reporting 627K? If so, don't report in 000s. I know they dumped PR but they still have an IR department, right?
That chart isn't from Tesla.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:50 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:48 pm Side note, they need to lose the decimals. It looks desperate. Does an extra 350 cars really matter when you're reporting 627K? If so, don't report in 000s. I know they dumped PR but they still have an IR department, right?
That chart isn't from Tesla.
Yeah, see my edit

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

The chip issue is really interesting. I was just reading that people in the auto industry say the difference comes down to a shorter supply chain and more relevant they don't use nearly as much out of date IC technology like the traditional automakers do. They use dinosaur chips that aren't necessarily general purpose and they distribute them and all sort of sensors all over their designs.
The new way is like Tesla does it — a single circuit board that does everything. From transmitting the “click” for the turn signal over the audio speakers, to operating the ABS brakes, a single processor does everything. Everything electric can be revised with central computer programing. (Okay, I lied, the display screens each have an Intel ATOM processor!)

The reason Tesla can continue to produce cars during the chip shortage is because it can replace a chip that is in short supply with another one and simply reprogram the central computer to the new chip characteristics.

The old fossil car companies cannot make this transition without a huge commitment. Besides not having the finances and the know-how to do so, it would take years and involve bringing each vehicle model over to the central processor system one by one. Starting car design from a modern clean CAD drawing does have huge advantages.

And, by the way, some manufacturers proudly announce that they “now have over-the-air-updates” — but NOT for all the computer chips in the vehicle, only a select few.

Those manufacturers that cannot or will not transition will drop back or fail because the “central processor” design is cheaper to build, cheaper to modify, and can even provide full self-driving software.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:43 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:52 am I'm not sure how I feel about the yoke. On the one hand, it seems like a PITA when doing tight turns, eg in a parking lot. On the other, wheels suck for seeing the front display.

I need to test-drive one.
Yeah I see pro/cons. It sounds like the buttons need to be dialed down in sensitivity.

On a side note - Tesla needs to work on the ordering process. I had a delivery date, it vanished, and the sales guy called me when I inquired to let me know I "had lost my spot" because I hadn't completed all my paperwork. What was the issue? Apparently I was supposed to intuitively know I needed to upload my existing car's insurance policy. Every car I've bought in my life we did this on delivery day at the dealership. I can't even add a car until I have a VIN. The website said you needed it prior to delivery so I expected I'd provide it when they gave me a VIN. Nope, the guy today told me I should have uploaded my existing policy. He was acting like this was common sense - even though he said this is what "we have to do in NJ". It's not their normal process. There are absolutely no indications to do this on the website. Anyway, he said I might be pushed back from September to November. Sigh - hopefully the experience gets better from here.
Quick update: My delivery date has been consistent since mid-September telling me middle October to very early November (10/22-11/02). A person on the Tesla Motors Club forums has the exact same config here in NJ on order and just got their VIN number. We previously had the same rough EDD dates. They ordered about a week after me, their EDD was about a week behind, so I thought I must be getting it imminently. I'm finally getting near my delivery date after waiting 3 months. I was shocked to see that my delivery date jumped back to mid-December today.

So let's get this straight someone who ordered after me is getting theirs before me in the same area. I still haven't been able to get questions about the issues I have with the financing. I gave up and figured I might as well sort it when I had a change to actually you know get a car. I think if I could write back to my past self I'd tell myself not to do this. It has been an utter chore to manage this process. I bought a car with the expectation to get it in September. Now I have to manage getting a car at the beginning of winter? This experience has been just flat out horrible.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Frustrating.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah. I am grappling with sunk costs on this. I have a wall connector installed, etc. I really am stuck here on a decision. I'm going to chew on it but I really don't think they've earned my business. I also am worried about issues. What if I have delivery issues or the car has problems. I've been hearing horror stories about people stuck in rentals for weeks/months after maintenance issues or accidents. In any case, I really couldn't recommend anyone go forward with this company at the moment. I think the thing that really irks me is that they project complete chaos and provide you no help managing that.

Edit: From what I'm seeing quite a few people are reporting they saw their dates slip quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep their growth targets for Q4 or if this is related to Austin firing up. If that happens I'm not looking forward to the chance (slim as it is) of getting a car off a new line when they have quality issues on the 'baked in' line.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I had to drive my wife's minivan last night (2021 Odyssey). I jumped in, pressed the brake and... turned on the windshield wipers. Apparently that doesn't put it into gear... AND you have to press the start engine button? How do people live like this?!? Then I looked for the gear lever/shifter and nope... buttons on the dash for PRND. Then, once it was on, holy crap all the goddamn lights (it was after sunset) and all the information in front of me was kind of overwhelming.

It had been about two years since I have driven anything other than my Tesla and I don't want to do it again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another example of the instrumentation on these cars bringing benefits.

Crash response updates via OTA...

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:55 pmIt had been about two years since I have driven anything other than my Tesla and I don't want to do it again.
I can't say these things because I'm apparently a shill, but it really is horrible. I need to get into a Mach-E, Rivian or other non-Tesla modern EV one of these days to see what non-antique tech from other manufacturers is like. Pandemic has made keeping up more difficult.
stessier

Post by stessier »

To each their own.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:07 pm To each their own.
To be fair, I am not saying anything else is objectively inferior. In fact, to a degree, I think some of the conventions in Tesla vehicles are kind of dumb and annoying. The figuring out how to make crap happen is more an old man in an unfamiliar car, just like when I would get a rental car and have to figure out how to do the things. On the other hand, I love the fact that it only shows me the information I need at the moment with minimal distractions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another example: Autowipers. Kill that shit with fire. (Or improve it)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im surprised someone like Tesla hasn't designed a car with a fully enclosed passenger area. No windows or anything. Just use displays and cameras.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Good news Zaxxon:

Tesla is hiring now in your area. Make up to $2300 per paycheck.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Weekly? Take home after taxes, etc? I probably wouldn't turn that down. If I still got to work from home.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm Another example: Autowipers. Kill that shit with fire. (Or improve it)
Yeah, you'd think there'd be a slider or something to go from "less sensitive" to "more sensitive".
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

raydude wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:42 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm Another example: Autowipers. Kill that shit with fire. (Or improve it)
Yeah, you'd think there'd be a slider or something to go from "less sensitive" to "more sensitive".
Not sure how you can make the optical sensor in your windshield's rain sensor work on a sliding scale like that.
Hodor.