tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Re: tesla motors

Post by The Meal »

Delivery pushed back one day to Tuesday as it's now anticipated my car will arrive at the Service Center at 10 pm on Monday. I was still able to schedule receiving it via home delivery on Tuesday afternoon.

When the phone rang I was hopeful that my receiving it was going to move in the opposite direction!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bummer!

Initial thoughts on the holiday update: I like some of the changes made to simplify the driving display. Will take some getting used to, and many folks are complaining about various changes, as happens with each major UI update.

The auto-blind spot video display is great, although I'd have placed it at the top of the screen rather than the bottom. Auto-seat heating also appreciated. Sudoku is a nice addition, as is Sonic (though you need a controller for that one).

What I find interesting is the seeming move to containerize each app (ie Spotify, Streaming, Tidal, etc are each their own app now, rather than pieces of the overarching audio app). I wonder if this is setting the stage for an eventual app store-like setup with more third-party stuff.

Not a fan of the inability to have trip card displayed at all times. It's now part of the menu, like on the S/X, but without the associated binnacle display applet. I'll get used to it, but today I don't like it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:33 pm Bummer!

Initial thoughts on the holiday update: I like some of the changes made to simplify the driving display. Will take some getting used to, and many folks are complaining about various changes, as happens with each major UI update.
Yeah I'm hot and cold on it. I've only had the car a month so not a big move for me but I can understand some people's concerns. I don't know if it new or if I didn't know how to enable it before but the traffic overlay on the map is something I've wanted. And it is now easy to enable/disable.
Not a fan of the inability to have trip card displayed at all times.
This is the exact thing that bugs me the most.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Charging in Nebraska and was surprised to see that Tesla is gifting us the juice today. This is not a location or time listed on the congestion-avoidance promo. Sweet!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Very nice!

I cleaned out my 2015 MINI Cooper S Hardtop today. (Anybody need a set of jumper cables?) Part of that means I took out my log book in which I jot down my fuel stops and maintenance. And putting that log book in front of my PC means... well I did a thing.

Through my last fuel stop on 21 December 2021 I managed to put 43552 miles on my car. In that span, I put 1388.2 gallons into the tank (nearly all of which is the highest octane available locally, 91 here at altitude, and mostly with 10% ethanol included). Over the life of the car, that's 31.4 miles per gallon, at a cost of 9¢ per mile. (For my most recent working commute the numbers are 33.1 mpg at 10.9¢/mile over roughly 9 months; the previous commute was 33.3 mpg at 8.5¢/mi over nearly two years.)

I paid as much as $4.019/gal (6 August 2021), and ignoring the few freebie fill-ups I received when having my car serviced by the dealership, my least expensive trip to the station was $1.439/gallon (9 March 2020 — I vaguely remember something going on about that time).

(received car 8 Nov 2014)
Fill-ups by year
2014: 3
2015: 16
2016: 18
2017: 38
2018: 30
2019: 25
2020: 4
2021: 32

Through the first three months of 2017, I worked a job within biking distance from home. 2017-2019 was my first time working a job at a different zip code. 2020 was a shitshow. 2021 saw me take my current job (also in a different city) in March.

I have a set of winter tires and rims with 1813 miles on them (195/55R16 runflats on Sport Tuning T2's if anyone is interested). Sadly I also replaced the summers back in July (those have 4940 miles on them), but those are going with the car as part of the trade-in. These were my first tire replacements along the way.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I probably should've spoilered all that #It'sAllAboutMe stuff. My bad.

I didn't tear up when I got home from work today. I did pull out the garage door opener and the Valentine 1. I took a photo of my SiriusXM ESN (device ID) then came inside and cancelled that service (it went way smoother than I anticipated, and yes, they offered me a 65% discount to keep me around anyway). When I moved on from my '07 MINI, that car got a big hug. Not so for the '15, but it was a solid workhorse.

Then three hours later I got a phone call from the Tesla delivery center letting me know my car arrived but upon inspection it had three obvious paint chips. I got the option to still take delivery tomorrow and set up a service appointment afterwards or to just let them deal with it on Wednesday when their "paint guy" comes around and then take delivery on Thursday. So... two more days before I get my fancy new car.

And now I have to drive around in the MINI without satellite radio for two days!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ugh. Sucks that it has chips, but at least they're on it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:54 pm Ugh. Sucks that it has chips, but at least they're on it.
Definitely nice to be presented with my choice in options. One wonders whether that’d be the case if it arrived with paint chips at the delivery center on 12/30.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:01 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:54 pm Ugh. Sucks that it has chips, but at least they're on it.
Definitely nice to be presented with my choice in options. One wonders whether that’d be the case if it arrived with paint chips at the delivery center on 12/30.
One is confident it would not.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I just realized Teslas do not come with a spare tire. I understand the rationale (it is classic Musk), but it seems like it could be a real disaster if you have a blow out in a remote area. From my brief perusal it appears you can buy a repair kit, but not a spare tire/wheel at any price. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Edit: At the Tesla store it looks like you could purchase 2 wheels for $2,750. IF they were in stock (they are not).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Well no phone call tonight, so I suppose I'm actually taking a delivery tomorrow. Of course with the new Ryzen processor coming out of the Fremont factory, and my VIN about 3000 units prior to any vehicles sighted with the new processor it's a bit of a mild disappointment of a day. I'm sure spirits will turn around when I feel some electric torque.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Intel Atom confirmed. But after my first drive WHO CARES?!? Amazing car. Appears flawless upon delivery. Can't wait to head out to my doctor's appointment this afternoon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Try not to wrap it around a telephone pole or throw it down a ravine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:39 pm Intel Atom confirmed. But after my first drive WHO CARES?!? Amazing car. Appears flawless upon delivery. Can't wait to head out to my doctor's appointment this afternoon.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:43 pm Try not to wrap it around a telephone pole or throw it down a ravine.
I'll Michael Scott this thing into a lake if it takes me into one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Tesla is to recall more than 475,000 cars in the US, according to documents filed with the US safety regulator.

The electric vehicle firm announced it was recalling 356,309 vehicles because of potential rear-view camera issues affecting 2017-2020 Model 3 Teslas.

A further 119,009 Model S vehicles will also be recalled because of potential problems with the front trunk, or boot.
A safety report, submitted this month, estimates that around 1% of recalled Model 3s may have a defective rear-view camera.

Over time "repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid" may cause excessive wear to a cable that provides the rear-view camera feed, says a Safety Recall report submitted by Tesla to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the US on the 21 December.
The Model S recall involves vehicles manufactured between 2014-2021, some of which may have a problem with a "secondary latch" on the front trunk, or boot.

In another Safety Recall report, also filed on 21 December, Tesla notes the fault could mean, if the primary latch is inadvertently released, the front trunk "may open without warning and obstruct the driver's visibility, increasing the risk of a crash".

Around 14% of recalled Model S's may have the defect, the report notes.

In both cases, the reports state that "Tesla is not aware of any crashes, injuries, or deaths" relating to the potential faults.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bummer. On another front, here is the man himself discussing the raw photons of autopilot:

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:08 pm BBC
Tesla is to recall more than 475,000 cars in the US, according to documents filed with the US safety regulator.

The electric vehicle firm announced it was recalling 356,309 vehicles because of potential rear-view camera issues affecting 2017-2020 Model 3 Teslas.

A further 119,009 Model S vehicles will also be recalled because of potential problems with the front trunk, or boot.
A safety report, submitted this month, estimates that around 1% of recalled Model 3s may have a defective rear-view camera.

Over time "repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid" may cause excessive wear to a cable that provides the rear-view camera feed, says a Safety Recall report submitted by Tesla to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the US on the 21 December.
The Model S recall involves vehicles manufactured between 2014-2021, some of which may have a problem with a "secondary latch" on the front trunk, or boot.

In another Safety Recall report, also filed on 21 December, Tesla notes the fault could mean, if the primary latch is inadvertently released, the front trunk "may open without warning and obstruct the driver's visibility, increasing the risk of a crash".

Around 14% of recalled Model S's may have the defect, the report notes.

In both cases, the reports state that "Tesla is not aware of any crashes, injuries, or deaths" relating to the potential faults.
Fuck! My daughter's Model 3 is subject to the recall (I checked the VIN #). But even if it fails, it would just be like driving a car without a rear view camera. And I wonder how many trunk closings it would take to damage the cable. Would not want to go autopilot, but at this point I don't trust it anyway.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least Tesla got proactive on the recall for the Model 3. They sent an email stating they would contact us when the parts are available to schedule an appointment to fix the junk in the trunk.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:50 pm I just realized Teslas do not come with a spare tire. I understand the rationale (it is classic Musk), but it seems like it could be a real disaster if you have a blow out in a remote area. From my brief perusal it appears you can buy a repair kit, but not a spare tire/wheel at any price. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Edit: At the Tesla store it looks like you could purchase 2 wheels for $2,750. IF they were in stock (they are not).
https://modernspare.com/product/2017-20 ... t-options/

I'll let you know when I get mine next month.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:09 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:50 pm I just realized Teslas do not come with a spare tire. I understand the rationale (it is classic Musk), but it seems like it could be a real disaster if you have a blow out in a remote area. From my brief perusal it appears you can buy a repair kit, but not a spare tire/wheel at any price. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

https://modernspare.com/product/2017-20 ... t-options/

I'll let you know when I get mine next month.
Very nice. Decent price and option for a changing kit!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Bad for shareholders, but good for customers.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 pm Bad for shareholders, but good for customers.
Not too worried about the shareholders right now. Thanks in part to malchior and The Meal's purchases, this is a pretty significant beat (expectations were in the mid-260,000s vs actual of 308,600). Absolutely nuts that 2021 brought 87% YoY growth and yet order backlogs are significant. Will be interesting to see how well Berlin and Austin ramp up this year.
Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:26 am At least Tesla got proactive on the recall for the Model 3. They sent an email stating they would contact us when the parts are available to schedule an appointment to fix the junk in the trunk.
Same.

In other news, on the final approach to home from this week's 2,350 mile road trip, the frigid Colorado air in combo with heavy defrost driving through a snowstorm proved too much for my Safelite-filled windshield divot. Heard a THWWAAPP sound and then we had an 18" crack. Guess it's windshield replacement time.

Some stats on the trip, which was a close-to-worst-case scenario for efficiency (Tesla's least-efficient vehicle, cold temps throughout [averaged 32F but was much colder for large stretches], no heat pump, high speeds on I-80 (averaged 83 mph), high winds, some snow/sleet, and a car loaded up with 4 humans, 2 canines, and a whole lotta luggage):

444 Wh/mi, for an overall efficiency of 67% (yegads!). 812.77 kWh added via Supercharges (8.3 hours charging, $252 in cost) plus 170 kWh more via L2 charging at our destination.

I looked back a the last time we made this trip in this car, and we averaged about 80% efficiency in summer temps.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:23 pm
The Meal wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 pm Bad for shareholders, but good for customers.
Not too worried about the shareholders right now. Thanks in part to malchior and The Meal's purchases, this is a pretty significant beat (expectations were in the mid-260,000s vs actual of 308,600). Absolutely nuts that 2021 brought 87% YoY growth and yet order backlogs are significant. Will be interesting to see how well Berlin and Austin ramp up this year.
Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:26 am At least Tesla got proactive on the recall for the Model 3. They sent an email stating they would contact us when the parts are available to schedule an appointment to fix the junk in the trunk.
Same.

In other news, on the final approach to home from this week's 2,350 mile road trip, the frigid Colorado air in combo with heavy defrost driving through a snowstorm proved too much for my Safelite-filled windshield divot. Heard a THWWAAPP sound and then we had an 18" crack. Guess it's windshield replacement time.

Some stats on the trip, which was a close-to-worst-case scenario for efficiency (Tesla's least-efficient vehicle, cold temps throughout [averaged 32F but was much colder for large stretches], no heat pump, high speeds on I-80 (averaged 83 mph), high winds, some snow/sleet, and a car loaded up with 4 humans, 2 canines, and a whole lotta luggage):
On the plus side, you weren't weighed down by a pesky spare tire.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:52 pm On the plus side, you weren't weighed down by a pesky spare tire.
Indeed. FWIW, this is becoming the norm these days. My last two non-Teslas (Nissan Leaf and Volvo XC90) also had no spare. The Prius comes with no spare, either.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:57 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:52 pm On the plus side, you weren't weighed down by a pesky spare tire.
Indeed. FWIW, this is becoming the norm these days. My last two non-Teslas (Nissan Leaf and Volvo XC90) also had no spare. The Prius comes with no spare, either.
The Bolt and Mach E also do not have spares.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont have Tesla but also dont think I have a spare tire..or a jack. I have a phone and insurance that does AAA
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Similar. I keep a compressor in the car for road trips to handle slow leaks, and AAA or similar service for roadside.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:21 pm Similar. I keep a compressor in the car for road trips to handle slow leaks, and AAA or similar service for roadside.
Wait a minute, are you saying Tesla roadside service is unreliable, or are you a belt and suspenders kind of guy?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:09 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:21 pm Similar. I keep a compressor in the car for road trips to handle slow leaks, and AAA or similar service for roadside.
Wait a minute, are you saying Tesla roadside service is unreliable, or are you a belt and suspenders kind of guy?
Haven't had to use it. That was the 'similar service'.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

How far between stops and what average time per supercharger, Zax? Thanks for sharing details of your trip!

I just slopped up my car—still on the OEM tires, thought I'd see how they do the day after the snow. I could get the AWD moving if I tried, but I was pretty impressed with how they do in the slop. That said, I ordered some dedicate snows via Tire Rack and will schedule with the mobile installer tomorrow.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Neither my '07 Cooper nor my '15 Cooper had spares. Both had runflats. 84k miles between the two, and I never needed a spare along the way.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Meal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:42 pm How far between stops and what average time per supercharger, Zax? Thanks for sharing details of your trip!

I just slopped up my car—still on the OEM tires, thought I'd see how they do the day after the snow. I could get the AWD moving if I tried, but I was pretty impressed with how they do in the slop. That said, I ordered some dedicate snows via Tire Rack and will schedule with the mobile installer tomorrow.
Can you save one of the OEM's as a spare?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:42 pm How far between stops and what average time per supercharger, Zax? Thanks for sharing details of your trip!
Ranged from 98-228 miles between supercharger. Time varied between 20 minutes and an hour. This is with the X, though, which both intakes energy more slowly and needs more. We do about 30% better on supercharging time with our 3.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:59 pm

Could I? I suppose. But why would I want to?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:59 pm
Ranged from 98-228 miles between supercharger. Time varied between 20 minutes and an hour. This is with the X, though, which both intakes energy more slowly and needs more. We do about 30% better on supercharging time with our 3.
Gotcha. 20 minutes seems like it'd be noooo problem. Sitting tight for an hour? Better overlap with a restaurant (IMO).

I had been addicted to the out-of-spec motoring youtube channel for watching road trip experiences. I think I watched enough to get a sense of things (from his POV at least).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Meal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:05 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:59 pm

Could I? I suppose. But why would I want to?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I went back and looked, and it was actually 54 minutes. We didn't need to stay that long, but took time for lunch, walked the dogs, and charged up to skip the next supercharger. Went from 5-93%, which is not the time-optimized way to do it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:12 pm Enlarge Image
I don't anticipate lugging around a spare wheel & tire in the trunk of my new car. But if it's working for you, then have at it!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Continuing my new Tesla ownership experience, today I'm getting protective paint film put on the front 24" (the upright face most likely to be making contact with rocks -- I had PPF on my last couple of MINIs and between the '07 and the '15 the technology had got much better about becoming invisible, so I'm interested in how today's looks) and getting an (mildly illegal) tint on my windows. Colorado allows for a 26% light transmission tint in the side and back windows, but for the ceramic tint I want the nearest level the installer had in stock is 20% (so a slight bit darker). Based on commentary around the web, I'm also, for the first time, getting my windshield mildly tinted (70%) to assist with heat rejection in the passenger cabin.

Friday I get my snow tires installed (ordered through Tire Rack) while I'm working. There're are a nearly infinite number of mobile installers available locally, so I'm using one I've had success with before. No new wheels for me yet (I'm thinking of getting lighter weight wheels for my summer setup).

I've also got some accessories to install. I've got a (cheap) Valentine One mount to hang from my rear-view mirror (not the highly-rated, but unavailable-at-any-price Blendmount, but a rather cheap looking 1/5th-price knockoff which may or may not end up sufficient after I give it a trial in the weeks ahead). I've also got some Rimetrix Optima aerocaps for my wheels that have a mild benefit to range but come with a decent improvement to aesthetics (IMO). I'll toss those on after the winter rubber is in place.

At that point, it'll be time for some boudoir photos of the new ride!