Padre's Werewolf 2: Lycanthropic Boogaloo

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I am wondering where the logic enters in peoples decisions thus far.

Are people voting based on their prior convictions (as my inclination is) removing of course those who have passed on in either fashion?

Are they looking at the posting and voting proclivities of those still in play and working out the kinks in their Gordian Knot?

If we manage to get a wolf, one more gets eaten tonight, and then it's back to 3 on 2 in the morning with the same level of unnerving uncertainty, right?

I'm going to ignore the possiblitity that vote leaders (those who start the ball rolling) are actually wolves trying to split the vote among multiple innocents. I'm going to assume that Gryndyl or AEnima is the silent wolf and hope I have the chance on them tomorrow.

I am going to go back to what I should have done (sorry JD) and cast my vote for JIFFY

With serious concern that Remus may have been the other vocal wolf.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

o.k. thinking in PM doesn't work for me.
Jiffy wrote:Since it looks like I am the next to go, the innocents remaining take a good hard look at who was pushing early for my death. You wont have many more chances to get it right, and you keep getting pushed around by the wolves in your midst. (Not that I have done any better, mind you. )
top of page ten if you want context.

There were four of us pushing for that vote. Gryndyl, Asharak, Orinoco, and myself. As I am innocent and the idea that the other three are the wolves plays into a theory I shared with some folks I am going to ponder this for a while.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

o.k., we mentioned that we should be looking for someone flying under the radar yes? I went through this whole damn thread (yes I need a life) counting Ænima's posts. 12. That averages out to 1 a page or a little over. Several were posts like "we suck", most were one line at best. With this in mind I shoot for the shadow wolf with a vote for
Ænima, almost.

First edit was to remove the bold.
Second I am holding that vote until there is some discussion because unless Ash, Jiffy, and Ænima are the three wolves, putting a third option out for them to jump on gives them the game. Although if either Ash or Jiffy were innocent the wolves could pile on right now.

O.k., Third edit. The last bit only works if neither of the people voting for Ash and Jiffy are wolves themselves. It presumed three jumpable votes.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Remus West wrote:There were four of us pushing for that vote. Gryndyl, Asharak, Orinoco, and myself. As I am innocent and the idea that the other three are the wolves plays into a theory I shared with some folks I am going to ponder this for a while.
OK, so I - and Gryndyl and so on - make the same decision as you, and that's contributing to the suspicion that we're wolves, but you aren't?

I guess I need to remind you that in voting for Jiffy, Gryndyl and I made elaborate, detailed posts trying to analyse behaviour and come up with likely suspects. Despite an awareness, on my part at least, that knowledge is power and secrecy is the way to maintain that power, I shared my analysis with the community. You, on the other hand, neatly avoided expressing an opinion of your own, making the definition of a "bandwagon" vote in simply accepting Gryndyl's analysis, and now everyone's supposed to look back at those votes and see you as an innocent lamb but the rest of us as vile wolves?

I am not suggesting you a werewolf. I don't think you are. I am saying, however, that your reasoning and the current focus of your accusations is way off base. You, me, Gryndyl - I don't believe either of you are wolves, and I know I'm not. Orinoco I'm not so sure about, but I've had several private conversations with others during the game and been told by anyone who's dealt with him that he's innocent.

I am struck by how quite Aenima has been while we've been tearing into each other today. I still don't trust Jiffy (though I would prefer lynching Aenima over him at this point). And for the third wolf, I have no guess - someone else has fooled me completely. If we're going to win this game I would suggest you look along with me for the guilty in that direction.

- Ash
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Asharak wrote:
Remus West wrote:There were four of us pushing for that vote. Gryndyl, Asharak, Orinoco, and myself. As I am innocent and the idea that the other three are the wolves plays into a theory I shared with some folks I am going to ponder this for a while.
OK, so I - and Gryndyl and so on - make the same decision as you, and that's contributing to the suspicion that we're wolves, but you aren't?

I guess I need to remind you that in voting for Jiffy, Gryndyl and I made elaborate, detailed posts trying to analyse behaviour and come up with likely suspects. Despite an awareness, on my part at least, that knowledge is power and secrecy is the way to maintain that power, I shared my analysis with the community. You, on the other hand, neatly avoided expressing an opinion of your own, making the definition of a "bandwagon" vote in simply accepting Gryndyl's analysis, and now everyone's supposed to look back at those votes and see you as an innocent lamb but the rest of us as vile wolves?

I am not suggesting you a werewolf. I don't think you are. I am saying, however, that your reasoning and the current focus of your accusations is way off base. You, me, Gryndyl - I don't believe either of you are wolves, and I know I'm not. Orinoco I'm not so sure about, but I've had several private conversations with others during the game and been told by anyone who's dealt with him that he's innocent.

I am struck by how quite Aenima has been while we've been tearing into each other today. I still don't trust Jiffy (though I would prefer lynching Aenima over him at this point). And for the third wolf, I have no guess - someone else has fooled me completely. If we're going to win this game I would suggest you look along with me for the guilty in that direction.

- Ash
See I like this. People withdraw your votes for now, you can always recast them later. Lets form a plan first then vote when its settled.
Padre

Post by Padre »

VOTING SO FAR:

Chaosraven ---> Jiffy
Gryndyl ---> Asharak
Ænima
Remus West ---> vote withdrawn
Jiffy
Asharak
Orinoco ---> vote withdrawn

Four votes needed for a majority.
Padre

Post by Padre »

I'm now going to bed. Since under current rules the lynching doesn't happen until I'm here to see an established majority vote, and I may not be able to log in tomorrow morning (up early for volunteer work) feel free to string this decision out, sleep on it, etcetera. It is, after all, a crucial decision for the game.

Be aware, though, that I could theoretically log in at any time, so don't cast a vote if you aren't 100% sure you want that guy dead.

Around lunchtime EST I'll be back in residence for definite, and we can play out this lynching that afternoon/evening. Unless I do get to log in in the morning. I'll try, but it's early.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Remus West wrote:Although if either Ash or Jiffy were innocent the wolves could pile on right now.
Not to get too head-spinny about this, but the wolves know this too. Whether the people who voted with us against Jiffy were wolves or not, the lesson is well learned: simply getting to the voting threshold doesn't guarantee a kill. If Padre isn't around, players have a chance to review how that threshold was reached, and then change their votes if they perceive "piling on" to be taking place.

Crux and I actually discussed this during the Jiffy/JD debate. We pondered the possibility of throwing out a false accusation against somebody just to see who would do the bandwagon thing (thus ID'ing possible wolves). We ultimately decided the risk to our reputations wasn't worth what little information we might glean from the experiment.

- Ash
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ok, I'm game for some logical discussion.

I withdraw my vote for JIFFY

How are we going to do this, process of elimination? Or rack up "guilty" points? Public declarations of innocence don't seem to have worked so well thus far as we've managed to lynch everyone to the tune of them saying we'd regret it, proclaiming their innocence with the rope around their neck, and sure enough... we regretted it.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Gryndyl wrote:By my figuring, only one of these names is an innocent and the other three are the wolves.

J.D.
Ænima
Remus West
Jiffy

Jiffy's voting record makes him my current top suspect.
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Kelric wrote:
Ænima wrote:There is one villager who hasn't shown himself since this nightmare started. Clearly a less prolific poster like myself would want to make sure that he makes some kind of statement as a reminder that he is there, unless he is trying to fly under the radar.
Funny, because I was contemplating voting for you. ;)
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

And so we're clear, AEnima's accusation was levelled at me.
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ok.

I think I'm still stuck on Jiffy based on my prior inclination.

But I also have a hard time with the Kettle/Pot smokescreen where it is pointed out how someone *ELSE* did something (which upon further examination turns out to be that persons relevant behavior FIRST)

I'm examining others choices for potential vote and trying to determine how they came up with it kind of like the One Knight Who Always Lies and the One Who Never Lies riddle.

The "if (soandso) is a wolf, then *THIS* is why they voted for (thatguy)" and "if (soandso) was a wolf, there'd be no WAY they'd do/post/vote that" is actually giving me a headache.

Too many f'ing variables.
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

On the advice of my attorney I have been advised to vote

AENIMA

No comment.
"Where are you off to?"

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Withdrawing my vote for Asharak
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Hi all,

I've been travelling today, so that's why so quiet. That and I feel pretty stupid at this point. I find it odd that anyone would accuse me of being quiet, after my strong defense of Crux, but hey, the wolves are doing what they need to do. I also wouldn't switch my vote to J.D. who I had no reason to suspect. We, the villagers, need to stick together and make a semi-informed decision here, instead of shooting from the hip like we have all game. But if you want to do otherwise, by all means, shoot away.

Also note that the person accusing me of calling the kettle black had all of ZERO posts at that point, and came into the game with the gem "Oh, we started already?". Classic.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ænima wrote:Hi all,

I've been travelling today, so that's why so quiet. That and I feel pretty stupid at this point. I find it odd that anyone would accuse me of being quiet, after my strong defense of Crux, but hey, the wolves are doing what they need to do. I also wouldn't switch my vote to J.D. who I had no reason to suspect. We, the villagers, need to stick together and make a semi-informed decision here, instead of shooting from the hip like we have all game. But if you want to do otherwise, by all means, shoot away.

Also note that the person accusing me of calling the kettle black had all of ZERO posts at that point, and came into the game with the gem "Oh, we started already?". Classic.
Its not just the quiet today that concerns me it is the quiet all game long and the type of post. You really said almost nothing all game until now. As for Chaosraven's quiet, well I live close enough to him to have some knowledge of where he has been. His first post was in response to my telling him "Dumbass you know your in one of the werewolf games don't you?" or something real close to that but similarly insulting. If he has been playing me both on and offline then Congrats to him I guess because I really believe him innocent and thus the wolves have a safety net. That said I look for our quiet wolf in the genetic structure of Aenima. Since we can't use live tissue.....I vote to lynch Aenima
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

I have reached the point where I am at an absolute and total loss of who to vote for :?
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Remus is defending chaosraven. They know each other in real life. But odds are, at least one of them is a wolf. Remus is also trying (too hard) to frame me for not being a player. I call on the good people of Stupidville to kill at least one wolf before the end. My vote is for Remus West.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ænima wrote:Remus is defending chaosraven. They know each other in real life. But odds are, at least one of them is a wolf. Remus is also trying (too hard) to frame me for not being a player. I call on the good people of Stupidville to kill at least one wolf before the end. My vote is for Remus West.
too hard? If I were trying real hard I would share my analysis of your posts rather than ask other to relook at them and make their own decision. But I guess if I become the target of the lynch mob I will at least know who the damn wolves are at last.
Padre

Post by Padre »

VOTING SO FAR:

Chaosraven ---> Ænima
Gryndyl ---> vote withdrawn
Ænima ---> Remus West
Remus West ---> Ænima
Jiffy
Asharak
Orinoco ---> vote withdrawn

Four votes needed for a majority.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Remus West wrote:
Ænima wrote:Remus is defending chaosraven. They know each other in real life. But odds are, at least one of them is a wolf. Remus is also trying (too hard) to frame me for not being a player. I call on the good people of Stupidville to kill at least one wolf before the end. My vote is for Remus West.
too hard? If I were trying real hard I would share my analysis of your posts rather than ask other to relook at them and make their own decision. But I guess if I become the target of the lynch mob I will at least know who the damn wolves are at last.
By all means, go ahead.

The most interesting thing I've observed is that both you and chaosraven voted for someone I think is probably innocent (Jiffy) while others were voting for Asharak. Then once the voting shifted to J.D. you both voted for J.D. to make sure he got the noose. Then today, you both came out firing at me, possibly as a smokescreen to that very obvious behavior. This is the only pack-like activity I'm seeing these days.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Of note here is that as soon as a single innocent receives a vote from another innocent, all three wolves can pile on and win the game. I find it interesting that in the voting so far, this has not happened.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

My vote, as a result of the discussions both here and via PM with those I believe to innocent, is to lynch Aenima today.

- Ash
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Agreed. Aenima has been on my suspect list for awhile and votes for him have not created a "wolf pack attack". Plus I don't know how to type that funky character he uses in his name :P

Think that makes majority. If he turns out to be an innocent, well, my apologies and good game, everyone. The wolves have played us like a chessboard the whole game.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

-JD Jiffy Remus and Crux maintain position at the top of my list of suspects.

That was me a few pages back, working off the theory that the original nine held one or two wolves in their midst.

But that leaves a third or possibly other 2 wolves out.

JD was innocent, Crux was killed.

Yes, it leaves Jiffy and Remus. I believe I have voted at least a couple times against JIFFY because of that. If Remus is playing me at this point (as he may well be, we have played Diplomacy many times over the last twenty plus years...) I will have played the sap again.

But it leaves the quiet mousewolf (or two) amongst the rest of us sheep...
"Where are you off to?"

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

Asharak wrote:My vote, as a result of the discussions both here and via PM with those I believe to innocent, is to lynch Aenima today.

- Ash
My vote is for Asharak. I feel he has been playing us from the very beginning. I offer no more proof, and have been wrong every time before, so take it with a grain of salt. :)
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Oh crap Padre is on...

Last chance
"Where are you off to?"

Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

I vote for Aenima also.

I think that one of the four above is a werewolf trying to say that "I voted for a wolf, so I must be innocent". Of course that same statement now applies to me, but I'm convinced that Aenima is a wolf and don't want someone to change their vote before Padre see it.
Padre

Post by Padre »

Knowing that a rash move would damn them finally, the deliberations went on long into the evening. But in the end the decision was almost unequivocal.

Ænima it was to be.

Once the sight of a man's hanging had been sickening, but now they watched with dispassion, caring only for what would follow, for the transformation or lack of it that would save them or curse them.

The body of Ænima struggled, then lay still.

Three watched in hope of vegeance. Three watched in anticipation of slaughter.

The waiting went on a long time.

Night fell. The moon was full.

Still they watched, three uncomprehending, fearful, stunned -- and three slavering at the prospect of the victory that was now theirs.

The innocents that still survived had lost much of their sanity, much of their humanity - but still witnessing that change was terrible thing - the claws bursting bloodily through bony knuckles, the oversized teeth that grews traight through fleshy lips, the cracking of bone and tearing of muscle - and the sheer terror of truth revealed, of deception realised, of fate unchanging and merciless.

And most terrible of all, the knowledge it could all have been so different.

The wolves fell upon the rest, and all was pain, and terror, and blood and the bottomless despair of the damned.

The sun rose.

In the square, amid the remains of the dead, three human forms lay, sleepy after the night's exertions.

Asharak awoke, the fur was now gone from his skin, although the blood had not so faded.

He walks over to Orinoco, and kicks him. Forgetting himself momentarily, he attempts a growl, but blinks himself awake.

The third had awoken by this point, and was seated crosslegged on the bloody ground, busily attempting to extract some flesh from his teeth. Seeing they have woken, Chaosraven nods to his wolf brothers.

At some length, the three pick themsleves up and gather belongings from their respective houses, slinging them into makeshift packs, and then head for the road.

After all, what was left for them here?

FINAL VOTE RESULT:

Chaosraven ---> Ænima
Gryndyl ---> Ænima
Ænima ---> Remus West
Remus West ---> Ænima
Jiffy ---> Asharak
Asharak ---> Ænima
Orinoco ---> Ænima

Four votes were needed for a majority.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Well played. I'm curious... why triggercut? That was the turning point of the whole game, and it seemed completely random.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:twisted:
"Where are you off to?"

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

GREAT game!!
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Well fuck
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Damn Asharak, well played.

This was an awesome game. I really like the larger size compared to previous versions. It let it go on longer and allowed more study of the posting habits in-game of the players.

And I still say fuck you to all of you who thought I was a wolf. ;)
Padre

Post by Padre »

There it is, everyone, the perfect game! For the wolves, anyway.

I must say, very very well played.

I'll be periodically posting analysis and other goodies to the thread as I think of it and type it. But in the mean time, thank you to all the players for an epic drama that's kept me riveted (and, occasionally, laughing uproariously at the naked deception and dramatic irony).

I love this game so much.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I think we horrible part was the PM back and forth with asharak and orinoco where we really didn't need to wolfpile votes and actually held off watching the villagers point the finger.

That's primarily why I was pushing so hard with the Original 9 theory.
"Where are you off to?"

Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

i have to say that was great to watch. You wolves made every play perfect and no one ever had a good vote against any of you.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

wow. I suck at this game. Everyone I was convinced was a werewolf ended up being innocent. I feel like Trent Steel predicting football games.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

The three people that weren't on my suspect list :P

Brilliantly played, guys.