Half Life 2 - Bad Disc

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malichai11

Half Life 2 - Bad Disc

Post by malichai11 »

I bought Half Life 2 tonight. Stupid me, I paid for the game at the store and ended up with a bad disc 3, problem with the sound file. Why, oh why didn't I just download the game?
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

(shady martindemon talking)
I heard the "downloadable" version now works perfectly...
(shady martindemon returns into shadow)

What brand of cd or dvd player or burner do you use?
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

LiteOn LDW-811.

I'm pretty sure it's just a bad disc.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I don't suppose you chose not to install Counterstrike, did you? There's a pretty well-known problem wherein if you choose not to instal CS, the installer glitches out around disc 3, I think. If you install the game and CS, it should go fine, and you just uninstall CS later.

Of course, that might not be it either.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
WheelMan

Post by WheelMan »

I had a bad disc three as well. There was a visible rough spot on the surface. No trouble swapping it out at Wal-Mart.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Chaz wrote:I don't suppose you chose not to install Counterstrike, did you? There's a pretty well-known problem wherein if you choose not to instal CS, the installer glitches out around disc 3, I think. If you install the game and CS, it should go fine, and you just uninstall CS later.

Of course, that might not be it either.
I had this problem with CS, too, but it's disc 4 where it freaks out.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I had a problem with Half Life 2's disc four also. Installation would cease and I'd get an error message - I think it was "Error 1305" - and after trying several recommended "solutions", including the one mentioned here, I simply returned it to BestBuy and got a replacement HL2 game which installed perfectly.

If you've visited their forum, you'll find out you're not the only one. Disc 4 by the way did not appear damaged.
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

I returned it to Hastings for a new copy. I played through it for awhile, but started to feel ill. Nausea and a really bad headache, which I don't think was related to the the game as I'm still feeling that way a day later. The graphics in HL2 so far seem better than those in Vampire.
Strom

Post by Strom »

I had a problem with a bad disc (3rd or 4th I don't remember) So what I did was installed steam FIRST, then installed the game. For some starnge reason this worked, even though it should not have.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Some times if you lower your cd drive speed that can help. There is a utility out to do that .

CD Speed 3.1

http://www.download.com/CD-Speed/3000-2 ... ag=lst-0-1