The In Praise Of Buffy Thread.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

The other big effect from Columbine was that they pulled the "Earshot" episode completely (which sets up some of the things in the finale). I don't remember if they ever ended up airing that episode, but I think they did much much later.

- - -

OMWF is probably my favorite all time episode of any show. Just absolutely brilliant. I even converted it to some weird video format so I can carry it around on my cel phone and watch it at any given moment :D
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Covenant72 wrote:Actually, if you rewatch that scene, you will notice that she is "massaging" that thing for nearly the entire presentation.
Mr. Pointy? Wasn't it a gift from Kendra?
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Thank you! It's been awhile since I have seen it, and it was irritating me not remembering what the object was. And yeah, it was a gift from Kendra.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

When that episode first came on, I didn't see what happened next cause I was laughing so hard.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

OK, having run out of Veronica Mars episodes, am now watching this. (OK, so I have a weak spot for strong female leads). Hadn't ever watched it before. Have gone through about half of the first season. Nothing stunning so far, but potential. Based on recommendations here, will stick it out to the second season.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Mr. Fed wrote:OK, having run out of Veronica Mars episodes, am now watching this. (OK, so I have a weak spot for strong female leads). Hadn't ever watched it before. Have gone through about half of the first season. Nothing stunning so far, but potential. Based on recommendations here, will stick it out to the second season.
If you don't love it early in Season 2, you never will. Season 1, Joss was clearly still figuring it out (although, there is still some great stuff in Season 1). Watching them without having to wait for any of them is the best thing ever.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Mr. Fed wrote:OK, having run out of Veronica Mars episodes, am now watching this. (OK, so I have a weak spot for strong female leads). Hadn't ever watched it before. Have gone through about half of the first season. Nothing stunning so far, but potential. Based on recommendations here, will stick it out to the second season.
First season ain't much, other than seeing Niedermeyer (Dead!) playing an ugly undead vampire leader.

Second season gets things rolling.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

What triggercut said. Everything clicks in Season Two.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Having said that, though, I'll also point out that it took me about 5 tries to watch season 2, mostly because the first episode of the season is a little weak.

Things get stronger and stronger as it goes (the introduction of a new villain, one far more devious and fun than anyone in season 1 helps a ton), but I think episode 7 of season 2, "Lie To Me" is the one where the show made the leap into greatness.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Barry Stuart_Hargreaves

Post by Barry Stuart_Hargreaves »

Anything that features SMG in little dresses is good by me 8-)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

You sure about that?

SMG, the "All My Children" years:

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Buffy is good.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Chaosraven wrote:"The official word from creator Joss Whedon is that Doyle's death was planned from the very beginning"
Just to fill that out a bit... Joss has said that he liked shaking up the audience. He deliberately hated when you had the feeling that "So and so is in the opening credits, so they are safe." He said that directly worked against the horror aspects of the writing. He wants you to feel like anything could happen. I don't know if you remember season 1, episode 1 of Buffy, but Xander had a friend? And that guy dies in the first episode? Well, that guy was supposed to be in the opening credits, and that was supposed to serve as Joss saying "No one is safe." I don't remember the details, but the opening credits got messed up, it was too soon, and so no one really noticed.

So when he planned Angel, he decided to bring that 'trick' back. But this time, he wanted to establish the character before they died. And that was Doyle. Now, there's rumors that the actor's lifestyle got him written off the show, but I believe Joss's explanation.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Having watched all of Buffy/Angel and now caught up with Smallville, I believe that Smallville exists in the Buffyverse.

That's the universe where all highschoolers are HOT and over 25. I wish I could be at the National Convention of HS Principals in that universe...

"We have this Hellmouth where demons coming pouring out"
"Oh yeah.. well this meteor shower has made every HS kid get weird powers and they eat each other!"
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Did anyone else catch the recent episode of The Office that Whedon directed, with Jim leading Dwight to believe he was turning into a vampire? Hilarious.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Total Buffy n00b question here: The wife and I love Firefly, but that's our only Whedon experience. We tear through most HBO shows, Weeds, BSG, etc. We just caught up with Veronica Mars and loved it. Now we need something new and I've always been meaning to check out Buffy. I grabbed the first disc from Netflix and watched the pilot on my own to guage whether the wife and I would be into it. Suffice to say, the acting was a little painful and the whole thing left me very lukewarm.

In line with most of the comments in this thread, would we be missing much character background and essential exposition by starting with season 2? We both are familiar with the main characters and the general premise of the show. Or should we tough out the first season and expect it to get better?
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

You probably could skip it, but there are things you wouldn;t understand reference wise later.

There is a lot of good in season 1, OTOH. The show without question has to grow up, and it does (fittingly).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You can skip it, but it isn't that big of a deal. The first season is only a half-season long. Lots of the characters and situations in season 1 come up from time to time, so it is worth the dozen or so episodes.

Season 1 was pretty much the network saying, "Joss, guess what - you've got your show. You're starting now, have it on the desk in fifteen minutes. Oh, and you may not get renewed past this half-season." With season 2 he actually had the time and a firmer footing from which to work.
Terrified wrote: Now, there's rumors that the actor's lifestyle got him written off the show, but I believe Joss's explanation.
I honestly believe that Doyle was intended completely and solely as a vehicle to give Cordelia relevance. You don't bring a star into a spin-off and make them someone's secretary, but Cordy's character was already established in Buffy and didn't really have anything to build off of. They needed to add 'something'. Doyle was a sort of a deus ex machina.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Animus wrote:Total Buffy n00b question here: The wife and I love Firefly, but that's our only Whedon experience. We tear through most HBO shows, Weeds, BSG, etc. We just caught up with Veronica Mars and loved it. Now we need something new and I've always been meaning to check out Buffy. I grabbed the first disc from Netflix and watched the pilot on my own to guage whether the wife and I would be into it. Suffice to say, the acting was a little painful and the whole thing left me very lukewarm.

In line with most of the comments in this thread, would we be missing much character background and essential exposition by starting with season 2? We both are familiar with the main characters and the general premise of the show. Or should we tough out the first season and expect it to get better?
What was pretty stellar about Firefly was that they hit the ground running with that show. Pretty much by the second episode it was awesome, the characters had some depth, and the timing was there. Buffy had a much longer warming up period. So did Angel. Neither of those shows really hit their stride until the second season. I'd gut it out (since that's what I did), since there were certainly some very enjoyable moments in the first season.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Two my favorite moments in Buffy history:
Spoiler:
The whole time watching the show you figure Buffy and the gang go about protecting everyone, and meanwhile the whole school is clueless. But when you get to the prom, they call her to the front of the auditorium - is Buffy going to be named Prom Queen maybe, something any normal teenager would want. No, they name her "Class Protector". They knew the whole time. I thought that was cool.

Second favorite moment was the high school graduation ceremony. The evil mayor is planning a big surprise. the death of the senior class. But Buffy has a surprise - the entire senior class has been armed and prepared for battle when the mayor launches his attack. A great scene when seniors strip off their robes, all armed with crossbows, crosses, firebombs, etc. Absolutely loved it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just a note since there seem to be a lot of people getting started in Buffy...

My wife is the one who finally convinced me to take some interest in the show - before that I chalked it up as another hokey teen "drama" - but even sillier since it had monsters and vampires.

The first few episodes did nothing to change my mind. The jokes were often corny, the whole vibe was cheesy. But I stuck it out, largely in part due to the fan base on these boards.

I'm very glad I did. Because when it finally 'clicks' you realize that the corny jokes and the sometimes cheesy monsters are simply a fluffy little layer on top of a really clever show. And before you know it, you realize that all those awful puns and snappy asides have really endeared you to these characters.

It was amazing to me to watch this show transform in my mind from a silly throwaway teen trifle to an example of some of the finest television I'd ever watched.

Big Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The episode where Buffy's mom dies still sticks in my mind as one of the most horrifying, emotional, gut-wrenching moments on television. I can remember very few times in my life when I was as stunned/shocked/disturbed watching a television show.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote:
Spoiler:
The episode where Buffy's mom dies still sticks in my mind as one of the most horrifying, emotional, gut-wrenching moments on television. I can remember very few times in my life when I was as stunned/shocked/disturbed watching a television show.
Spoiler:
I loved that episode. It really emphasized how despite her overthrowing hell every other week, when it came down to human challenges, she was as powerless as anybody.

The thing that got me was the episode when she actually died. They turned it into one of the silliest, cheesiest, throwaway episodes ever (the robot girlfriend.) I'm guessing Whedon made it cheesy and mediocre on purpose. You watched it, mildly interested, knowing you were safe from anything major happening, as it was just another monster-of-the-week type filler episode. Then the last ten seconds of the episode:

"Mom? Mom? Mom. Mommy?"
Muddyboots

Post by Muddyboots »

"Cup of Tea. Cup of Tea. Almost got shagged. Cup of Tea."
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

RE: YK spoiler
Spoiler:
The night I saw that episode I was actually unable to sleep. I wrote letters to dead friends and spent the night watching the stars. It affected me deeply.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Barry Stuart_Hargreaves

Post by Barry Stuart_Hargreaves »

AWS260 wrote:You sure about that?

I'd still hiddit!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Terrified wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:"The official word from creator Joss Whedon is that Doyle's death was planned from the very beginning"
Just to fill that out a bit... Joss has said that he liked shaking up the audience. He deliberately hated when you had the feeling that "So and so is in the opening credits, so they are safe." He said that directly worked against the horror aspects of the writing. He wants you to feel like anything could happen. I don't know if you remember season 1, episode 1 of Buffy, but Xander had a friend? And that guy dies in the first episode? Well, that guy was supposed to be in the opening credits, and that was supposed to serve as Joss saying "No one is safe." I don't remember the details, but the opening credits got messed up, it was too soon, and so no one really noticed.
I can't believe they killed 24's Milo in the very first ep without so even an opening credit! :)
Spoiler:
When they had the hyena-kids kill and eat the principal, that was the moment I thought that this show might be a little different. Even though Skinner's actor didn't have an opening credit, it still surprised me.
In regards to skipping season 1, I'm trying to hook my fiancee on the show, and while she's enjoying it so far, I'm finding I like these episodes more than I remembered. Yes, they still aren't as great as season 2, but they aren't that bad.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Season 1 can be skipped, but I would stick with it as some of the episodes are quite good.

Buffy was very good TV especially seascon 2, 3 and 4. By seaon 5 you could see the series was coming to an end.

One thingI didn't like:
Spoiler:
Changing Spikes character. Spike and Dru are the two best villians in the Buffyverse. Making Spike into a love sick vamp in love with the Slayer just seemed cheesy.

I like to add that...minor spoiler
Spoiler:
I thought Faith could have carried her own show. Could have set it in New York, but two Slayer series would have been to many I guess
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

tru1cy wrote:

I like to add that...minor spoiler
Spoiler:
I thought Faith could have carried her own show. Could have set it in New York, but two Slayer series would have been to many I guess
I could be wrong here, but I believe that offers have been made in that regard. Eliza simply isn't interested in being a 24/7 actress.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

So............

What about Season 8?

(I haven't picked it up yet, I was hopeing for some impressions)
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

Barry Stuart_Hargreaves wrote:
AWS260 wrote:You sure about that?

I'd still hiddit!
No kidding.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Blackhawk wrote:I could be wrong here, but I believe that offers have been made in that regard. Eliza simply isn't interested in being a 24/7 actress.
There were offers made, but considering she was in the process of getting Tru Calling together, I'd say you were wrong about the 24/7 actress part. She probably just felt the the Buffyverse was finished without Buffy.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Arnir wrote:
Barry Stuart_Hargreaves wrote:I'd still hiddit!
No kidding.
Dude, she's like 16 in that picture! With poodle hair!
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

AWS260 wrote:
Arnir wrote:
Barry Stuart_Hargreaves wrote:I'd still hiddit!
No kidding.
Dude, she's like 16 in that picture! With poodle hair!
14 April 1977

"All My Children" .... Kendall Hart Lang Henry (1 episode, 1993-1995)
- Episode dated 11 March 1994 (1994) TV Episode .... Kendall Hart Lang Henry

-imdb
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

I grew up in that fashion period so that's what the girls were wearing when I started noticing.

I always checked driver's licenses first - good advice from our government teacher. So, I would have waited another year+ if she was 17ish as the math suggests. I have no interest in anyone under 18. Hell, in reality, no interest in anyone under 30 really, but I digress.

Now I need to take a shower. I feel dirty.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Arnir wrote:I always checked driver's licenses first - good advice from our government teacher.
You must have had an awesome government class.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

AWS260 wrote:
Arnir wrote:I always checked driver's licenses first - good advice from our government teacher.
It was unique, shall we say.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Arnir wrote:
AWS260 wrote:
It was unique, shall we say.
What is it about government teachers? Mine ended up marrying one of his ex-students.
Black Lives Matter
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

The lady who was my teacher was also the student council advisor, etc. She was quite liberal but not "that" friendly. Since we talked about laws, etc, age of consent came up. As most of us were seniors we were crossing the 17-18 year old line and that had interesting ramifications at the time.
Kraegor

Re: The In Praise Of Buffy Thread.

Post by Kraegor »

well... just finshed up the final season of Buffy. (still got 1 season of Angel to go!)

What an awesome choice for final villain! Nathan Fillion played his part perfectly... I'm beginning to see how the initial cast of "Firefly" was rounded up :lol:

Too many choices for favorite episode... first that comes to mind is the singing episode.... hilarious... I'd need to surf back thru seasons 2-4 to find my other favorite episodes. seasons 5-7 had some strong episodes but not as many struck me as "brilliant". whereas in the earlier seasons the really smart episodes happened more often. Guess that was just Joss running out of steam/focus.

Still... I enjoyed the entire ride! took me around 2yrs via netflix, heh. spose I gotta buy the damn box set now...
Kraegor

Re:

Post by Kraegor »

YellowKing wrote:
Spoiler:
The episode where Buffy's mom...
"The body". That was an exceptional show. The presentation was so stark/empty, it really resonated.