WoW - stupid newbie questions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jeff Jones

WoW - stupid newbie questions

Post by Jeff Jones »

As a dwarven hunter, I just reached level 10, and for the life of me, can't figure out how to use the taming rod to tame a large crag boar (part of my learning quest).

I've tried right clicking the boar, left clicking the rod, vice-versa, tried equipping the rod (it won't let me) etc.

:oops:

Can any experienced pet tamers please enlighten a dummy? :)
hepcat

Re: WoW - stupid newbie questions

Post by hepcat »

Jeff Jones wrote:As a dwarven hunter, I just reached level 10, and for the life of me, can't figure out how to use the taming rod to tame a large crag boar (part of my learning quest).

I've tried right clicking the boar, left clicking the rod, vice-versa, tried equipping the rod (it won't let me) etc.

:oops:

Can any experienced pet tamers please enlighten a dummy? :)
try having the boar highlighted and then right clicking (not left) on the rod in your inventory. i THINK that's what i had to do with ne hunter when i played him. also, if it's part of your hunter quest in order to get the ability to tame, that quest calls for VERY specific breeds of animals. it has to be the EXACT type your trainer tells you to hunt.
He won. Period.
Jeff Jones

Re: WoW - stupid newbie questions

Post by Jeff Jones »

hepcat wrote: try having the boar highlighted and then right clicking (not left) on the rod in your inventory. i THINK that's what i had to do with ne hunter when i played him. also, if it's part of your hunter quest in order to get the ability to tame, that quest calls for VERY specific breeds of animals. it has to be the EXACT type your trainer tells you to hunt.
i tried highlighting him, and tried both right and left clicking the rod in inventory, no luck.

Also, yes, the quest calls for a "large crag boar" which is what i've been trying on. Nothing happens when I click.

edit: nevermind, it worked. I had to have the taming rod in my backpack, rather than on my hotbar for some reason. got the little bastard tamed now :)
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Another stupid question: Can Horde and Alliance mail stuff to each other?
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Demosthenes wrote:Another stupid question: Can Horde and Alliance mail stuff to each other?
No. The only way you can transfer stuff is through the neutral auction house, as I understand it.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Mr. Fed wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Another stupid question: Can Horde and Alliance mail stuff to each other?
No. The only way you can transfer stuff is through the neutral auction house, as I understand it.
Tx Fed. /shrug
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You can't mail between factions or servers. Otherwise mail all you want. I'm using mail to support an alt character.

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

for other Hunter newbs, I just learned the hard way that you can't use the hearthstone and bring your pet with you. It apparently dismisses it. Bummer, I rather liked my lvl 11 Elder Black Bear.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Jeff, just use your Call Pet skill. You'll get your pet back. The only way to permanently dismiss a pet is to left click on the pet, right click on the pet's portrait, and select "Release".
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Zurai wrote:Jeff, just use your Call Pet skill. You'll get your pet back. The only way to permanently dismiss a pet is to left click on the pet, right click on the pet's portrait, and select "Release".
Thanks. Right after I posted that, I remembered to check my Beast Mastery skills, and saw Call Pet there, and got him back. :)
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

A couple more newbie questions:

1) is it possible to switch the default chat channel from Say to Group, for instance? So when I hit Enter it automatically defaults to the group/party channel?

2) How/where do I train in additional weapon skills, like Bow for rogue and 2-handed Mace for warrior?

thx
Koz

Post by Koz »

The channel usually defaults to whatever the last channel you were in. So if you were talking in group (/p) then any time you hit ENTER, it will default to group talk. To switch to say, you'd type "/s" and as soon as you do that it will switch to "Say" (the text will become white and it will say "Say:"). Next time you hit ENTER, it will default to Say. This doesn't work with certain channels like reply (/r), but it does for most of them.

You can train extra weapon skills in various towns for 10 silver each. Each weapon is trained in a particular city. I think bows are trained in Darnassus, and maces in Ironforge, but maybe someone else has the comprehensive list.
none

Post by none »

i believe they've added in an extra dialogue choice with weapons trainers so that you can now ask them about other weapons trainers and what skills they teach. i don't recall seeing that option during the stress test or open beta but i know for sure the guy next to the smiling dog in orgrimmar has that option now.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

none wrote:i believe they've added in an extra dialogue choice with weapons trainers so that you can now ask them about other weapons trainers and what skills they teach. i don't recall seeing that option during the stress test or open beta but i know for sure the guy next to the smiling dog in orgrimmar has that option now.
I can confirm this, as I spoke with a weapon trainer in Ironforge last night who told me where to find other weapons trainers, and specifically what they teach.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

OK, my NE Hunter Octopii just got to level 10 so I grabbed a spider for a pet (named Byte) as the number of legs seemed appropriate.

Dumb question - how do I feed it? It says it needs meat and I have some jerky but I can't seem to get it to eat it, or is that not "meat"?
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

IceBear wrote:OK, my NE Hunter Octopii just got to level 10 so I grabbed a spider for a pet (named Byte) as the number of legs seemed appropriate.

Dumb question - how do I feed it? It says it needs meat and I have some jerky but I can't seem to get it to eat it, or is that not "meat"?
If you "just" got it, you might not be able to yet. Be sure you have the feed pet skill. I'm not sure how the pet quest works for alliance, but the horde version is divided into 2 parts: 1 where you actually get the pet, and 1 where you get feed and revive pet skills.

Once you get feed pet, you can just drag the food icon over your pet (or his icon) and he'll chow down. If it's a type of food he doesn't like, you'll get a message saying so.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I think that's the problem.

BTW - does anyone have a good resource for writing macros? It'd be great to push one button and have my character go through all the opening attacks I use on a constant basis?

Edit: Yup, that was it, just finished part 2 and got the feeding ability
ericb

Post by ericb »

Here are some excellent Hunter Macros from another board:

-------------------------------------------------
------------AUTOFEED PET------------
Directions: Have a stack of food in slot#1 of Bag#3. Wont work in combat. If there is no food, it will open the bag to show you the lack of food.

AUTOFEED PET:
/script if (not PlayerFrame.inCombat) then if (not
GetContainerItemLink(3, 1)) then OpenBag(3); else CastSpellByName("Feed Pet"); PickupContainerItem(3, 1); end end

Notes:
-This macro does NOT copy well into WOW. You will need to retype it with no Return/Enter strokes and only ONE space in the appropriate indicated spots.(After semi-colons, words like: if, then and end)
-Bag #3 is the 2nd bag from the left.
-Thanks for Zorlen for this one.

What this does is auto takes the first item from your middle bag and tries to feed it to your pet rather haveing to click the feed pet then the item. It only tends to actually open a bag if there is nothing in that slot.

Quote:
---------ASPECT SWITCHING--------
Description: Automagically switches aspects. Very useful. When you use your sword, BAM, you're in Monkey Mode. When you use your bow, BAM, you're in Hawk Mode.

IMPORTANT: These macros work on the assumption that you started with an Aspect already up. They detect the Aspect in BuffSlot #1, and work from there to replace it as necessary. So - If these macros don't work, please remeber that they must be able to detect an Aspect in order to compare it. Use a GUI like Nurfed or Cosmos to add extra side-bar buttons for your "occasional" use items, Like Aspect of the Pack, Rapid Fire, etc. Usually this is only a problem at the beginning of your session - so start your session by tossing your speedbuff up Smile <http://www.wowhunters.com/forums/images ... _smile.gif>.

-----------------Attack and Monkey-----------------

Description: Attack. (replaces melee attack button, use this instead of the default button to begin autoswinging with melee weapon). Checks to see if Aspect of the Monkey is already up, and if it is it wont cast it. So if Hawk or Pack/Cheetah is up, you'll cast Aspect of the Monkey and begin attacking with your melee weapon. Also if you are already in combat with melee weapons, this macro will NOT drop you out of combat. I find this useful for avoiding constant toggling out of battle and losing that valuable second of attacking Smile <http://www.wowhunters.com/forums/images ... _smile.gif>.

ATTACK:
/script if (not string.find(UnitBuff("player", 1), "Mon")) then CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Monkey"); end
/script if (not PlayerFrame.inCombat) then CastSpellByName("Attack"); end

----------------Auto Shot and Hawk-----------------

Description: Starts Auto Shot (ranged attack) and checks to see if Aspect of the Hawk is up. If it is it will NOT cast Aspect of the Hawk.

SHOOT:
/cast Auto Shot
/script if (not string.find(UnitBuff("player", 1), "Raven")) then CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Hawk(Rank X)"); end

Notes:
-Due to game timing issues, this macro seems to work better if its in this order. I dunno why, its a little flaky.
-Rank X: Use the appropriate number for the highest Aspect of the Hawk rank that you have.

-----------Aspect Check THEN Special Attack---------

Description: Use this to replace Aimed Shot (or any insta-shot). This way it will check before combat if you have Hawk up already. You can use this for any insta arrow or even switch it around for Raptor Strike & Monkey. If the correct aspect wasn't up on the first press of this macro, it will be up when you press it a 2nd time Smile <http://www.wowhunters.com/forums/images ... _smile.gif>.

AIMED:
/script if (not string.find(UnitBuff("player", 1), "Raven")) then CastSpellByName("Aspect of the Hawk(Rank X)"); else CastSpellByName("Aimed Shot(Rank Y)"); end

Notes:
-X: Use the appropriate number for the highest Aspect of the Hawk rank that you have.
-Y: Use the appropriate number for the highest Aimed Shot(or whatever special attack you are using) rank that you have.
-You can't use this for every special shot b/c then you wont be able to see when you are out of range (the # goes red when you are out of range). So pick the most frequently used "primary" attacks. Usually AimedShot or Concussive are the choice first strikes.
-This macro works best when you use it only for one or the other(either Aimed shot or Arcane Shot) because the timer is the same for both of those shots so you can tell when one or the other is ready even if one of them is replaced with a macro key. It doesn't work so well for RaptorStrike/Monkey because then you can't easily tell if RaptorStrike is ready again after the first use.

--------------------------------------------------
--Pet Control & Auto Mark Target--
--------------------------------------------------

Description: Automatically Hunter's Marks something and Either a) sends pet to attack or b) Pet Follow you.

-------------Pet Attack & Mark Target--------------

Description: Use this to Mark your target and send your pet in to attack.

MARK:
/cast Hunter's Mark(Rank 2)
/script PetAttack()

------------Pet Stay/Come & Mark Target------------

Description: Use this to either:
a) Mark your target and keep your pet with you(when in a dungeon or mob-heavy area)
b) Bring your pet back to you
c) Mark a diff target, but you will need to switch back and use Ctrl+1 or Macro #4 to have your pet start attacking again.

COME:
/cast Hunter's Mark(Rank 2)
/script PetFollow()

Notes:
-These two macros, when used together, allow you to skip the pet-control bar all together and keep all comands on your main quick bar. Very useful. Also, the hunter's mark costs nearly no mana, so its combo-ed in there for convience.

------ScatterShot & Pet Recall-----
Description: Uses scattershot and recalls your pet so he doesn't break the effect.

/script PetFollow()
/Cast Scatter Shot()

Notes:
-Thanks to Ricochet for the macro.

-Fyodor <Maelstrom Inc> on WarSong.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I found those, I was thinking more along the lines of something that explained the syntax and what the valid commands were. The examples are good to start with but I don't know if they are exhaustive.
ericb

Post by ericb »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, I found those, I was thinking more along the lines of something that explained the syntax and what the valid commands were. The examples are good to start with but I don't know if they are exhaustive.
There are really. There are a number of FAQs and topics on the official forums but I've yet to find even a decent tutorial so far much less an exhastive study of the macros and different functions. Blizzard's official stance seems to be it's there but it's up to you to figure it out as we don't support it.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

2 more newb questions:

1. (hunter) - how does this growl icon work? sometimes, even when I'm not in combat, it will have a racing glow around it. Other times, it's got yellow triangles, one in each corner. what do these mean, and how do you know if it's 'engaged'?

2. instance dungeons - do they respawn like regular dungeons/areas? also, went in my first one last night, and saw a bunch of other PC's not in our group, i thought they were just for your group. (i could've been seeing them before i went thru the instance portal though, don't remember).
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Jeff Jones wrote:2 more newb questions:

1. (hunter) - how does this growl icon work? sometimes, even when I'm not in combat, it will have a racing glow around it. Other times, it's got yellow triangles, one in each corner. what do these mean, and how do you know if it's 'engaged'?

2. instance dungeons - do they respawn like regular dungeons/areas? also, went in my first one last night, and saw a bunch of other PC's not in our group, i thought they were just for your group. (i could've been seeing them before i went thru the instance portal though, don't remember).
1. If theres a solid yellow glow around an icon, then its being auto casted while the pet's inside combat. Some people like to manually switch these things, and its more effective that way, but more clicking :(

2. The inside of the instance (one you enter the portal) respawns on a much longer timer than outside. And no one but your party or raid group will be inside, ever.
I <3 :ninja:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

ericb wrote:
IceBear wrote:Yeah, I found those, I was thinking more along the lines of something that explained the syntax and what the valid commands were. The examples are good to start with but I don't know if they are exhaustive.
There are really. There are a number of FAQs and topics on the official forums but I've yet to find even a decent tutorial so far much less an exhastive study of the macros and different functions. Blizzard's official stance seems to be it's there but it's up to you to figure it out as we don't support it.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. SecondLife had an HTML file of all the internal commands with a disclaimer that was all the support there was so I was just curious of some industrious WoW fans had done the same thing. Twas all :)
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Thanks for the answers Crowley .. have a few more now :)

1. As a dwarf, I have a 'find treasure' ability (one of my tracking abilities). I've never actually found anything with it. What type of stuff does it find? Just things in treasure boxes in certain camps or what?

2. Duel Wielding - i got this last night when i hit L20, and um .. it doesn't work. I tried to put a 2nd axe in my off-hand, but it wouldn't let me. Do i need to learn dagger and use that?

3. chat channels - how do i 'turn off' a channel? When I go into Ironforge, I'm auto-tuned to General, and Trade. The Trade channel annoys the crap out of me, with all the people spamming their junk. Is there a way I can tell the game not to tune me to that channel, or at least exit it when it does?
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Jeff Jones wrote:
2. Duel Wielding - i got this last night when i hit L20, and um .. it doesn't work. I tried to put a 2nd axe in my off-hand, but it wouldn't let me. Do i need to learn dagger and use that?
Make sure the weapon in your off-hand doesn't say "main hand" in the description. Some 1 handed axes and swords have this qualifier, others don't.

I don't think any daggers have the "main hand" qualifier.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Jeff Jones wrote:Thanks for the answers Crowley .. have a few more now :)

1. As a dwarf, I have a 'find treasure' ability (one of my tracking abilities). I've never actually found anything with it. What type of stuff does it find? Just things in treasure boxes in certain camps or what?

3. chat channels - how do i 'turn off' a channel? When I go into Ironforge, I'm auto-tuned to General, and Trade. The Trade channel annoys the crap out of me, with all the people spamming their junk. Is there a way I can tell the game not to tune me to that channel, or at least exit it when it does?
1. Find treasure will cause treasure chests, and only treasure chests, to appear on your minimap as a gold dot. Typically treasure chests are located in the middle of mob camps though there are a few that appear in remote places.

2. If the weapon description says 'main hand' then it can't be equipped off-handed

3. Each channel will have a number that appears in front of it. If trade is, for example, channel 2, it will appear as 2.Trade. To leave it just type /leave 2