Tsunami Aid - Double Thumbs Up for Sandra Bullock!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Tsunami Aid - Double Thumbs Up for Sandra Bullock!

Post by Grifman »

Thumbs up for this lady. Not only is she absolutely adorable, but she has a heart also. She's just donated $1MM to the Red Cross for tsunami aid:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

The second thumbs up is for the fact - unknown to me - that she had previously given $1MM after 9/11. That's not chump change even for an actress who makes what she makes.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

A million is a steal really for the amount of press she'll get for it.
I <3 :ninja:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Crowley wrote:A million is a steal really for the amount of press she'll get for it.
What will the additional press do exactly? Will her next movie sell more tickets just because she gave to tsunami aid fund? I seriously doubt it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A co-worker of mine once (almost) ran into Sandra Bullock (literally) at the movie studio in town. Apparently Sandra pulled out in front of her and my co-worker got really angry and laid on the horn. Sandra pulled over, came over to the car window, and profusely apologized. My co-worker felt really sorry for her because she said Sandra seemed so shook up about pissing someone off.

Just a little second-hand anecdote, but my co-worker came away convinced she's a really nice lady in real life.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Perhaps she is pre-emptively making up for her upcoming release, "Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous"?

Anyway, it's nice to see folks overall being so generous. And Ms Bullock is a local girl, born in Arlington, VA.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Perhaps she is pre-emptively making up for her upcoming release, "Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous"?

Anyway, it's nice to see folks overall being so generous. And Ms Bullock is a local girl, born in Arlington, VA.
You know, I'm happy I didn't pay to see Miss Congeniality but truth be told, I rather liked that movie.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Makes my $20 donation look rather insignificant...'bout all I had left after Christmas. But good for her! Maybe she'll get the ball rolling for more celebrities to donate.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ha, I just donated $1 on top of my Costco bill yesterday... :P

But really, $1MIL is nothing when these actors and actresses makes tens of millions per film.

I'm still waiting to see someone give their entire next film's salary to disaster relief. Now THAT is something I can admire.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Kasey Chang wrote:Ha, I just donated $1 on top of my Costco bill yesterday... :P

But really, $1MIL is nothing when these actors and actresses makes tens of millions per film.

I'm still waiting to see someone give their entire next film's salary to disaster relief. Now THAT is something I can admire.
1 million is not nothing even for actors/actresses that makes tens of millions per film since most of them only star in a few films a year. In case of Sandra Bullock, she didn't star in any movie for the last two years. So let's say she make $15 millions in Miss Congeniality 2 and don't star in any other movie in 2005, she'll have $15 millions divide by 3 come to $5 millions yearly earning if she star in 1 film every 3 years.

So do you know many people that give 1/5 of their yearly earning to charity?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Add to that that she has an agent and probably a support system (that she supports) that none of us do. A mil is pretty damned generous either by proportion to her salary or in total amount. The alternative is that she gives nothing and they are down by a mil in their donations.
Det. Dave

Post by Det. Dave »

Bill Gates is a piker. He gave "only" 3 million and it was from his foundation.

Give these celebs a break. Maybe she want to set a good example. Or maybe she just felt that it would be the right thing to do. People have lost their homes , their families and everything and we sit here on the internet impugning the motives of someone who is helpng to alleviate their suffering.

If you haven't done so already, give $25 buck to the red cross via amazon.

Cheaper than:
A week's worth of Venti Lattes at Starbucks
Two months of WoW
or
Two cds

You won't get a press release and noone will care, but you will help someone somewhere who is suffering.
This is not the sig you are looking for.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
Kasey Chang wrote:Ha, I just donated $1 on top of my Costco bill yesterday... :P

1 million is not nothing even for actors/actresses that makes tens of millions per film since most of them only star in a few films a year. In case of Sandra Bullock, she didn't star in any movie for the last two years. So let's say she make $15 millions in Miss Congeniality 2 and don't star in any other movie in 2005, she'll have $15 millions divide by 3 come to $5 millions yearly earning if she star in 1 film every 3 years.

So do you know many people that give 1/5 of their yearly earning to charity?
This argument doesn't wash. First, she probably makes more than $5million a year, but let's assume she doesn't. So she gives 1/5 of her small ass $5million paycheck. For simplicity's sake, we'll ignore taxes. She has $4million left to live on (if you want to worry about taxes, which this donation is probably a write-off for, you can say she has $2 mil left).

Now let's look at someone who makes $20,000 a year. They give $4,000 and they have $16,000 left to live on.

"Living" requires only a finite amount of money. And it can be done much easier and better at $4 million ($2 million) than $16,000. Sandra Bullock doesn't innately require more upkeep than the guy at $20,000/year.

I tend to know more people in the $20,000 to $500,000 range than the $5 million+ range so no, I don't know anyone that gives 1/5 of their salary away to charity. I do know it gets easier the more you make because you have a much bigger cushion between what you make and what you need to survive.

Bill Gates drops millions to charity in his sleep. In fact, his charity work is amazing. He drops billions and doesn't hold a Ted Turner style press conference to do it. But I don't shed a tear for him bleeding himself dry. He's fine. Sandra is fine. Nice gesture, admirable, but don't think she's going hungry tonight. Not for lack of choice anyway.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kael

Post by Kael »

Maybe Im an optomist but it seems wrong to answer someones good act with replies that they are doing it for selfish reasons or that it is a trivial thing for them. They took it upon themself to do something nice, and that should be appreciated not criticized. I suspect Bullock doesn't care what we think about it one way or the other but personally Im impressed and delighted at her genorosity.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sure, it's easier for Sandra Bullock to drop a million dollars in disaster relief than it is for me to do so. However, she actually sent them a million dollars and I haven't, and therefore she deserves more recognition for her response than I. The folks receiving aid don't care what percentage of my paycheck I send over there; they care only about what they receive.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Lassr wrote:Makes my $20 donation look rather insignificant...'bout all I had left after Christmas. But good for her! Maybe she'll get the ball rolling for more celebrities to donate.
No amount is insignificant. Thank you for contributing, Lassr.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

Mabey im just soft, but it seems awful presumptous of you people to question this ladies generosity, and mabey just a bit rude. I say kudos to her, and good job. we need more people like her that are willing to do the good thing and help people out.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This is most definitely not a drop in the bucket for her. A top-named Hollywood star would still feel the hit of $1,000,000. And I'd say she's far from a top-named star these days. I would doubt she's taking home nearly as much money as many of you would believe. Sure it's more than me, but her $1,000,000 donation is $1,000,000 more than my selfish ass donated. My opinion of her shot way up when I heard about this, especially since her previous $1,000,000 was unknown to me, leading me to believe she wasn't out making a big deal about it.

Now that I think about it, does anybody remember the rumor that Keanu Reeves bought all the stuntmen on the Matrix movies motorcycles as a thank you. It wasn't true, but stirred the same kind of forum talk.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Sandra Bullock has other sources of income. She owns a production company that produces, among other things, The George Lopez Show. She has money. Even so, I dare say that $1,000,000 isn't small change for her, but, neither is it going to hurt her lifestyle.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All I was saying is that there is a saturation point at which you are almost compelled to donate money to charity. It doesn't take anything away from those that do, props and all that. Bullock's donation will probably go a long way to changing a lot of peoples' lives, saving some even.

Just don't go nominating her for a Nobel Prize or beatification.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

LawBeefaroni wrote:All I was saying is that there is a saturation point at which you are almost compelled to donate money to charity. It doesn't take anything away from those that do, props and all that. Bullock's donation will probably go a long way to changing a lot of peoples' lives, saving some even.

Just don't go nominating her for ... beatification.
No nomination needed the woman is already beautiful. :lol:
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
CSL

Post by CSL »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Well you never know with the current Pope.
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

A million is a steal really for the amount of press she'll get for it.
Right... I watch E! and I didn't know about this till I came here. Can't some people just be generous these days? :?:

I think its great what those who are capable are doing to help with the relief, such as the band Linkin Park starting benefit concerts and donating $100,000 of their own.

Now, what does Bill Gates have to offer? Maybe.... 1 BEELLION DOLLARS!
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

CSL wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Well you never know with the current Pope.
And far less worthy people have received the Nobel Prize.