This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Code: Select all

Remember me when I am gone away,   
Gone far away into the silent land;   
When you can no more hold me by the hand,   
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.   
Remember me when no more day by day 
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:   
Only remember me; you understand   
It will be late to counsel then or pray.   
Yet if you should forget me for a while   
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave   
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,   
Better by far you should forget and smile   
Than that you should remember and be sad.
                    ~ Christina Rossetti ~ 
~ found, copied by hand, on a folded paper retrieved from the pocket of Leigh's coat ~
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Crave commit the plight, make the dark of day
Ache aloft a flight, arc of bitter weal
Lick the fork of light, temper tine anneal
Order law of night, bite the heart away
  Crawl cold orb new sun, shadow's shining caul.
  Reign still moon cool glow, steel of living skies.  
  Answer tongue of spines, ember quenching shawl.
  Voice the will to know, anvil of the eyes.
~ Verse, blood on vellum, discovered near the meat locker in the basement ~
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

A spine-chilling shriek penetrates the stormy night
Grundbegriff

Daybreak

Post by Grundbegriff »

As day fights to break through the steel gray sky, one DARLing sneaks from room to room, from hall to wall. Straining against the hushed throb of rain outside, this DARLing is eavesdropping in hopes of learning by early morning stealth what night was loath to divulge. Ears akimbo, this one is dead set on finding something out.

Silence down the corridor, electric thrumming in the foyer, rainfall outside the shutters. But then, and intermittently for several minutes, the busy mumble of a secret poorly kept creeps forth from beyond the closed doors of the formal dining room. The sneaky DARLing's cry and sudden rush to the threshold make far too much noise; with that boisterous, defiant entry, the perpetrators are forewarned enough to withdraw, their identities undisclosed.

Still, the curious DARLing has interrupted a dark affair-- the conversion of trauma into travesty. Soon, other DARLings attracted by the clamor and cry arrive at the threshold, and all gaze in grave acknowledgment of the dawn's unsurprising tidings. The body of Nameless lies supine on the dining table. He has been wholly disemboweled, and his severed head stands neck-down in the cavity, staring chestward. His chest is artfully flayed, but the sternum is intact.

The head of Mr Bubbles they find beneath the table.

A pair of goblets fashioned from skulls they discover on the floor at the opposite side of the room.

Do not ask questions, DARLings, unless you are willing to learn the answers! Do not pry into the business of others, lest the business of others pry into you!

• Bad Demographic
  • Bakhtosh
  • Caine
  • Chaosraven
  • Kelric
  • Kraegor
  • Lars(executed)
  • Leigh(executed)(Wolfboon)
  • Mr Bubbles(slaughtered)
  • Nameless(slaughtered)
  • noxiousdog(slaughtered)
  • Orinoco
  • Padre(executed)(Wolfboon)
  • pr0ner(executed)
  • rdm
  • Remus West
  • setaside(slaughtered)
  • tru1cy(slaughtered)
  • UnicornPoint
  • UsulofDoom(executed)
  • Zurai
Votes required for majority: 6
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Damn.

Poor nameless.
Decades from now, when people gaze upon his headstone, they'll probably wonder why we didn't put his name on it. :roll:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Kelric wrote:So that basically confirms the following people as completely innocent:
Remus
Nameless - Eaten
Bakhtosh
rdm
Kelric

And Padre - Lynched

Leaving the following as unconfirmed either way:
BD
Caine
Chaosraven
Kraegor
Orinoco
UnicornPoint
Zurai
Not an exact quote as I updated nameless' demise and Padre's well deserved execution. Orinoco had also been tenetively spoken of as clear. Anyone who is in a position to cast doubt or clear one of us should come forward so we can all have the information. All I got was the information that one of us gums his food. Again, not an exact quote, but close enough I think. It neither clears nor condemns the player so is rather useless.

We have at least 2 more 'boons to find possible more depending upon the feral teeth so keep that in mind as those of us cleared could have been later turned. I do think we are best served trying to find the originals first though.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Bakhtosh wrote:
Zurai wrote: On the information front: I stole Kelric's quire two nights ago, missed on the questioning, and had it stolen from me last night. I got nothing on my theft attempt last night.
What was your question to the Quire?
I asked whether Mr. Bubbles was a Dysanite.

As for why I voted so early last round: as I said, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to even be online later in the evening. I had raids in WoW and my internet connection was absolutely shitty; I was getting about a 40% dropped packet rate to anywhere.

EDIT: Oh, and I got nothing last night (attempted to steal from UnicornPoint).
Caine

Post by Caine »

work keeps on interfering in my posting. at least friday's are slow enough that it shouldn't be a problem. i really haven't had the free time to follow this as closely as i should have, so i look like a drive-by poster when i do post.

nuts, nameless was one of the few people i could trust in this game. at least half of everyone still alive is vouched for in some form.
WRecently WRisen from the gwave.
UnicornPoint

Teeth and Quire

Post by UnicornPoint »

I stole the teeth and quire from Kraegor the night before last, and as they were stolen from me last night, I will report my questions and the answers I received.

Quire - Did tru1cy have teeth when he died?
...........Question was not in harmony.

Teeth - Is Zurai a Wolfboon?
...........Zurai is not a Wolfboon.

If the property trail has not been tampered with, the teeth I used last night would be the Foul teeth, so it is time to lynch Zurai.
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

OK. Caine is a wolfboon.

The reason that I know this? When we killed Leigh, she apparently had a set of teeth with her that somehow found their way to me (ahem). That first night, I tested them by asking if Padre was a boon - and they said he was. We subsequently killed him, and he was indeed a boon, so i knew they were the Fair Teeth. This night just gone, I asked if Caine was a boon, and was told that yes, he was a boon. The teeth were then stolen from me later that night (probably while I was out checking someone else's possesions) :oops:

Incidentally, there's a thought for the next game. If you stay in your room, you have better odds of guarding your possesion then if you leave it to go stealing from someone else...
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I have four main suspects right now for the two remaining 'boons, two obviously higher suspected than the others. Before voting ends today I will try to post my list and reasonings for where people are on that list but I am going to wait until after anyone who has information to share comes forth.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Orinoco wrote:Incidentally, there's a thought for the next game. If you stay in your room, you have better odds of guarding your possesion then if you leave it to go stealing from someone else...
I didn't think that had any effect on it. But since you and Unicornpoint have come forth with the two names that were highest on my list I will go with the one that was the highest Zurai.

Thought that I would add that Unicornpoint and Chaosraven were the other two names I was looking at. Chaosraven dropped to the bottom of the list last night since I stole a notecard from him and I figured the odds of a boon not having any artifacts right now is low. Unicorn point has been giving useful information to our side so was ranked a close third on my list. Zurai's questions he has told us about just seem useless and I would have expected better from him were he really trying. Caine came in second, I'm not really sure what pushed him above Unicorn point, maybe gut. Anyway that was my suspect list.

Zurai
Caine
Unicornpoint
Chaosraven

Time will tell how close I came.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Orinoco wrote:Incidentally, there's a thought for the next game. If you stay in your room, you have better odds of guarding your possesion then if you leave it to go stealing from someone else...
Yep. I'm considering that possible tweak and others.

The question is whether the artifacts are moving around too much. Does their circulation need to be throttled? I'm not sure it does.

More on this in the après-jeu.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I'm not a wolfboon, but whatever.

Let's kill me (vote for myself).
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Yep. I'm considering that possible tweak and others.

The question is whether the artifacts are moving around too much. Does their circulation need to be throttled? I'm not sure it does.

More on this in the après-jeu.
Actually, it's a good thing (for us non-boon's) that they move around. I can tell the truth without worrying about protecting my secret.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zurai wrote:I'm not a wolfboon, but whatever.

Let's kill me (vote for myself).
You can't.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Grundbegriff wrote:Votes may only be withdrawn before a majority has been reached; once a majority has been reached, the decision to execute is irrevocable. Anyone may vote against anyone, including himself.
You're making so many mistakes, Remus, that if I hadn't scanned you myself I'd think you were a 'boon.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Artifacts moving around also increases the danger of the Feral teeth. To much time passed between information on a player and it becomes shaky as they may have been turned.
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

I have to stick with Caine as I know that the teeth I had were true - I don't know if I trust UnicornPoint or not...

Edit: Actually, I probably do trust her as she claims to have the Foul teeth, not the Fair teeth that I know I had. This could be good - we got 2 boons!

But that might be because the Feral teeth have turned a lot of innocents into boons. :cry:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zurai wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:Votes may only be withdrawn before a majority has been reached; once a majority has been reached, the decision to execute is irrevocable. Anyone may vote against anyone, including himself.
*Grumble grumble grumble, new rules for this game upsetting the constants, grumble grumble grumble*
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Orinoco wrote:Actually, it's a good thing (for us non-boon's) that they move around. I can tell the truth without worrying about protecting my secret.
Right. That's the strongest argument for throttling-- that circulation too strongly empowers the non-boons.

Making theft from non-thieves more difficult is one mechanism for throttling. A more interesting one, IMO, is to allow certain roles (say, Wolfboons, or more narrowly a particular Wolfboon called a Hoarder) the power to destroy artifacts or to remove them permanently from circulation.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

withdraw my vote for Zurai I actually think it will be better to wait and see where folks land on this one. I know where I am guilt or innocence wise, be nice to see where others stand.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Zurai has been on my suspect list for a couple of turns, but I'll wait to see what other people have for information and suspects before officially voting.
rdm

Post by rdm »

Two failures again last night. Kraegor does not have my quire(still just guessing).

And I was not able to steal from Caine.

I still think Zurai and Caine are my top two candiates exactly as others have pointed out.

I'm gonna be very busy this weekend and might not have time to post so here's a vote for Zurai. I agree with the logic posted above.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Current votes against...:
(1)Caine [
Orinoco]
(3)Zurai [
UnicornPoint, Zurai, rdm]

Current required total: 6.

Haven't voted:
  • Bad Demographic
  • Bakhtosh
  • Caine
  • Chaosraven
  • Kelric
  • Kraegor
  • Remus West
Play-by-play:

UnicornPoint acc Zurai(1)
Orinoco acc Caine(2)
  RemusWest acc Zurai(2)
Zurai acc Zurai(3)
  RemusWest acc Zurai(2)
rdm acc Zurai(3)-
Votes to the left are still active; votes indented have been superseded by a later play. The numbers in parentheses show a running total of votes against that person. The hyphen marks the most recent vote for each accused.

If I miss anything, PM me with a link to the overlooked post. Links to posts are available in the upper left of each post, through the tiny page icon: Image

I'll post a status report whenever the vote count against any single player reaches or passes 50% of the total required for slaying.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Funny... I think my list had Remus rather than Caine, but that's because I just KNEW that sneaky basshat was gonna rip up my notecard.

Hey, if you did, what did it say?

As he was on my list: Zurai

BTW: no luck stealing last night.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:Hey, if you did, what did it say?
Look back to where I said all I learned was that one of us gums their food. Not gonna quote it since Grund did say we where not supposed to quote but that should be close enough. I can give you the word for word without quote if you would like. But I like my version better.

One thing we should keep in mind is that the Feral Teeth are still out there. So even if we have to 'boons we may not have all of them. Right now BD and Bahktosh are the only ones we know to have been in possession of those teeth.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Long did my dreams haunt me during the night.
Familiar were the voices echoing in the ether.
Oft was one name repeated.
Unforgetable were the images that passed across my eyes.
"Zurai"... Wearing the face of noxiousdog
"Zurai"... Drinking blood from a skull
"Zurai"... Splatterd by the arterial spurts of Setaside's last moments
"Zurai"... Slamming the freezer door as tru1cy lies stunned on the floor
"Zurai"... Ripping the sternum out of MrBubbles' chest

I fear these visions have changed me...forever will they haunt both my waking and sleeping.

Zurai's death today may not make the images go away, but he must not be allowed to kill again.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Bad Demographic

[ooc - Sorry I missed the vote Wednesday night - I fell behind in reading the posts and we watch anime with a friend on Wednesdays. You guys completed the vote while I was away from the pc]

Whew. I've finally caught up with my notes. I've taped as many of the conversations here as I could so I more or less know how the arguments are going.

I don't know if we're being played by the wolfboons or not, but I'll follow Bakhtosh's lead and vote for Zurai. I hope like hell that's the right thing to do.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Current votes against...:
(1)Caine [
Orinoco]
(6)Zurai [
UnicornPoint, Zurai, rdm, Chaosraven, Bakhtosh, Bad Demographic]

Current required total: 6.

Haven't voted:
  • Caine
  • Kelric
  • Kraegor
  • Remus West
Play-by-play:

UnicornPoint acc Zurai(1)
Orinoco acc Caine(2)
  RemusWest acc Zurai(2)
Zurai acc Zurai(3)
  RemusWest acc Zurai(2)
rdm acc Zurai(3)
Chaosraven acc Zurai(4)
Bakhtosh acc Zurai(5)
Bad Demographic acc Zurai(6)-, killing him
Votes to the left are still active; votes indented have been superseded by a later play. The numbers in parentheses show a running total of votes against that person. The hyphen marks the most recent vote for each accused.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

What are the DARLings to make of Zurai's willingness to die? Not long ago, in a desperate call for someone to heed his warnings, the innocent tru1cy had also called for his own execution. Some now wonder whether Zurai is also innocent and desperate. Others note that, unlike tru1cy, Zurai doesn't seem to have much to say. Is Zurai undertaking a self-sacrificial gambit that will somehow benefit their cause? Some other cause? Is he instead capitulating, perhaps because he suspects that at least one innocent recognized him in flight from the misdeeds of early morning?

None is quite sure why Zurai submits without resistance, but at least one is eager to take advantage of their chosen victim's compliant silence. Bakhtosh forces Zurai to unpin the faces from the wall, to gather the abandoned cranial chalices, and to mop up the carpets of blood in the Grand Hall, Great Room, Kitchen, Pantry. He requires Zurai to gather the remains of Nameless, Mr Bubbles, noxiousdog, and the others and to shuttle them to the freezer in the basement. Through all this labor and during his deathmarch to the Pantry, Zurai says nothing.

Finally, defiantly, Zurai walks into the flash freezer and pulls the door shut.

The DARLings wait. Somebody makes tea. Another sifts through notes.

Eventually, the clever whittling of icy flesh with a paring knife uncovers the mark of the Ordo Varcolacorum on Zurai's breastbone

Silent like their victim, but with an exchange of knowing glances that speak of burgeoning confidence, the surviving DARLings withdraw to their chambers to consider the day's activities.
  • Bad Demographic
  • Bakhtosh
  • Caine
  • Chaosraven
  • Kelric
  • Kraegor
  • Lars(executed)
  • Nameless(slaughtered)
  • Orinoco
  • pr0ner(executed)
  • rdm
  • Remus West
  • setaside(slaughtered)
  • tru1cy(slaughtered)
  • UnicornPoint
  • UsulofDoom(executed)
  • Zurai(executed)(Wolfboon)
It is night. Sleep lightly.

* Wolfboons (if alive) may now PM one another until dawn. When they are ready, their appointed representative should PM me the name of the person they wish to attack.

* The Profiler (if alive) should PM me a plan for the night ("I will Sleep" or "I will Stalk X" or "I will Shadow X").

* The Conference of the Dead should appoint a delegate from their number. The delegate should PM me the name of the person (if any) who will be haunted and the message ("The Dead suspect that X is a Y" or "The Dead suspect that X has Y") of the haunting.

* The Wolfboon Wannabe (if alive) should PM me a question ("Is X a Y?" or "Was X a Y?") about the actual identity of any Living or Dead player.

* Any Dysanites (if alive) who lack a their Quire should PM me a question ("Does X have my quire?") about the current location of that Quire.

* Any player who possesses one or more Quires should PM me (at most) one question per Quire ("Was X a Y?" or "Did X have Y?") about the actual identity or possessions of any Dead player.

* Any player who possesses one or more pouches of Teeth should PM me one question per pouch ("Is X a Y?" or "Does X have Y?") about the actual identity or possessions of any other Living player.

* Any player who would like to leave a notecard on the nightstand should send me a PM containing the notecard's assertion ("X is a Y" or "X has a Y" or "X was a Y" or "X had a Y").

* Every Living player should PM me a Writ of Theft containing the following information:
  1. whether a Theft will be attempted
  2. the intended victim of that Theft
  3. a number from 1 to 100 (inclusive)
Committing a theft is not required; filing a Writ of Theft is required. The sun will not rise until I have received a Writ of Theft from every Living player.

All posting in the thread (except by the Moderator) is forbidden during the night.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Exploration on the way to the various sleeping quarters reveals that there is a false wall in the disused bedroom of Stephen Aurorae. Beyond it, further probing uncovers a well-lighted, clinical chamber containing a writing table at one end and a ceiling-high cage at the other.

The table, spread with handwritten pages and with color reproductions of various images, faces the cage. A camera and an audio recording device, both lacking media, stand with other clutter on a nearby shelf. Opposite, pressed against the farthest wall but clear of the corner, stands the reinforced, open-barred cage, its door ajar. As large as a walk-in closet, the cage is appointed with simple, industrial facilities suitable for long-term imprisonment.

Recessed lighting and audio speakers are apparent in the room's ceiling.

There is no sign of recent captivity. In the corner, beyond the cage, a rack designed for the purpose holds a mop, a broom, a bucket, and related cleaning supplies.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

~ Saturn Consuming his Children by Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes, giclée reproduction discovered in the secret chamber of Stephen Villus Aurorae ~
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

nor murderously insane.  Neither was any sign of disease evidence, least of all lycanthropy.  His attempt on me must therefore have been the result of rational premeditation.  But malice aforethought?  I'm sure I've never met the man, and know of no cause I've given for someone to want to take my life.  I can only suppose that it was not so much my person as my station that interested him.

This much is clear: His purpose was to use the occasion of my death, for he as much as said so.  And this, too: that purpose, whatever it may have been, served the designs of his Order.  For the deprivation, not to say depravity, of
~ notes on one page of a notepad found in the secret chamber of Stephen V. Aurorae ~
Grundbegriff

Daybreak

Post by Grundbegriff »

Daybreak over Cassandra Crossing brings the usual bad news: one of the DARLings has been slaughtered.

Every DARLing had spent some time in the hidden chamber of Stephen Aurorae the previous night, poring over the perplexing notes and images. Had their late host been a victim of blackmail, or the target of extortion? Despite their late focus on that site, it takes the DARLings some time to think of searching there for the one missing from their number.

At last, they head for the bedroom. Activating the secret panel, they expose a distressing scene. rdm lies prone on the floor, his head separated from his body.

There is somewhat less gore this time, somewhat less horror. Perhaps the absence of three Wolfboons makes the rigors of ritual mutilation more difficult. Perhaps even too difficult.

rdm's chest is, surprisingly, intact. His head, however, has been smashed to pulp with some heavy, blunt device evidently removed from, or left at, the place of execution.

The DARLings look at the victim, look at one another, and finally look within as they muster the necessary resolve.

• Bad Demographic
  • Bakhtosh
  • Caine
  • Chaosraven
  • Kelric
  • Kraegor
  • Lars(executed)
  • Nameless(slaughtered)
  • Orinoco
  • pr0ner(executed)
  • rdm(slaughtered)
  • Remus West
  • setaside(slaughtered)
  • tru1cy(slaughtered)
  • UnicornPoint
  • UsulofDoom(executed)
  • Zurai(executed)(Wolfboon)
Votes required for majority: 5
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Well, I expect that our vote will go with Caine pretty rapidly but am once again going to withhold mine for a while to allow others to come forward with information.

Such as...someone stole a notecard from me last night. That notecard was several days old and said that I suspect Orinoco. I had left it there because I wanted you to know if you actually failed at stealing or if there was nothing to steal. You now know there was nothing worth stealing but that you did suceed. Congrats. Ignore the message, I don't even have Orinoco on my list at this point. :D

As for the potentially last remaining issue. Where are the Feral Teeth. If you have them and got them from Bakhtosh or BD you know if they have been activated but are unlikely to tell us. If you got them after we killed a 'boon then you know they were potentially activated. If you had them and they were stolen you need to speak up so we can trace where they have been. If the Feral Teeth have not been activated then Caine should be the last of these twisted fools to be dealt with.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

/sigh. knew i shoulda robbed someone else...
Bad Demographic

Uh, the feral teeth haven't yet been activated. I lied when I said (earlier) that they had been stolen from me. I wanted to be able to confirm Bakhtosh.
Fortunately, and this time honestly (!), they were stolen from me last night.
Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to convince you that I wasn't a target at some point while in possession of the teeth and that I didn't pick somebody else to be the victim. In all honesty, had I been converted, I probably would have picked somebody we all already believed to be innocent - that is, one of the antiquarians or dysanites. And that seems to be what the wolfboons are doing.

Black Lives Matter
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

nice one on the Zurai hit (missed the vote, sick thur-fri). that had to be one lucky roll cuz i didnt suspect him.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Bad Demographic wrote:Uh, the feral teeth haven't yet been activated. I lied when I said (earlier) that they had been stolen from me. I wanted to be able to confirm Bakhtosh.
Fortunately, and this time honestly (!), they were stolen from me last night.
Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to convince you that I wasn't a target at some point while in possession of the teeth and that I didn't pick somebody else to be the victim. In all honesty, had I been converted, I probably would have picked somebody we all already believed to be innocent - that is, one of the antiquarians or dysanites. And that seems to be what the wolfboons are doing.
Actually that works fine. If there is another killing tonight you die tomorrow since by your word only you or Bakhtosh have been in possession of them so it must be one of you two. Hopefully on of the teeth holders checked one or both of you out last night and we can be sure. Anyway.....Caine