Children of Men [Movie]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bandero

Children of Men [Movie]

Post by Bandero »

This is the new movie from director Alfonso Cuarón, of Y tu mamá también fame. It will be released in December this year, but the LA premier was last night which I was fortunate enough to attend.

You can catch a more detailed summary at IMDB, but it's a dystopian sci-fi pic set in London (always a popular location for dystopian sci-fi films), after universal infertility in women sets in for unknown reasons. Clive Owen is the male lead, with co-stars Michael Cain and Julianne Moore, with a new actress, Clare-Hope Ashitey, playing the female lead.

While the story should be very familiar to anyone familiar with the dystopian/post-catastrophe sci-fi story, the execution of the story is just excellent. Phenomenal acting from all players, excellent, intense cinematography and editing, with very effective use of music (something I always appreciate).

Anyways, I would highly recommend this picture when it comes out next month! And it's not just because they let me see it for free, with free popcorn and soda to boot! :D
"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. " Kurt Vonnegut
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I'm glad to hear you liked it. The trailer looked great and Cuaron is a really talented director. I'm excited for this one.
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Some bits of the trailer put me off, laying it on a little thick about the savior-anti-hero rediscovering hope in a hopeless world through the miracle of new life - as though it were a Graham Greene script bought and revamped by Disney - but I know that's just the sort of thing trailers do. Good to hear positive news.
Bandero

Post by Bandero »

khomotso wrote:Some bits of the trailer put me off, laying it on a little thick about the savior-anti-hero rediscovering hope in a hopeless world through the miracle of new life - as though it were a Graham Greene script bought and revamped by Disney - but I know that's just the sort of thing trailers do. Good to hear positive news.
The story is rather cliched (and the Graham Greene comparison is rather apt come to think of it), but I can appreciate a cliched story told well. Really, when you get down to it, how many stories can't be reduced to a cliche anyways? :D
"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. " Kurt Vonnegut
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I'll see the movie and I imagine I'll enjoy it - simply because the premise is interesting. P.D. James' novel which I read ages ago (so I can't recall the details) was a bit slow and very light on the explanation for the universal human infertility and the ending (which I won't reveal) was more ambiguous than the author apparently meant it to be. The movie looks more fast-paced and involving. Looking forward to it.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Bandero wrote:
The story is rather cliched (and the Graham Greene comparison is rather apt come to think of it), but I can appreciate a cliched story told well. Really, when you get down to it, how many stories can't be reduced to a cliche anyways? :D
I haven't generally got problems with stories that can be *reduced* to cliches, it's the ones that arrive there without any reduction that get to me :) If this isn't one of those, I should be content enough.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

I read the book a few months back and enjoyed it enough. The story wasn't the strongest, but I enjoyed the concept of a society with no young people to look after the elderly.

I'm guessing from what I've seen in the film trailer it has the same setting but the story takes a very different path. While I'm avoiding any spoilers, a quick look at the cast list shows the absence of some very major characters from the book.
Holman

Re: Children of Men [Movie]

Post by Holman »

Arise, thread!

I recently listened to a podcast (Space the Nation) that revisited this 2006 movie and made the point that it was incredibly prescient.

At the podcast's recommendation I rewatched it, and I agree that the movie's version of 2027 seems even *more* accurate as a near-future dystopia than it did when it came out. It's very chilling.

Because I'm watching on my computer, it's easy to pause and scan the background of the more visually busy scenes. There's a *lot* going on in this setting.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I saw that. Is it Clive Owen and a pregnant girl in a non pregnant world?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:05 pm Arise, thread!

I recently listened to a podcast (Space the Nation) that revisited this 2006 movie and made the point that it was incredibly prescient.

At the podcast's recommendation I rewatched it, and I agree that the movie's version of 2027 seems even *more* accurate as a near-future dystopia than it did when it came out. It's very chilling.

Because I'm watching on my computer, it's easy to pause and scan the background of the more visually busy scenes. There's a *lot* going on in this setting.
That's why I haven't re-watched it (despite liking it). It feels too much like our current reality.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:08 pm I think I saw that. Is it Clive Owen and a pregnant girl in a non pregnant world?
Yes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:17 pm That's why I haven't re-watched it (despite liking it). It feels too much like our current reality.
It's tough to watch. But I've been looking into cinematography lately, and this movie is just so interesting in its construction.