WoW...about to make the jump

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lee

WoW...about to make the jump

Post by Lee »

Think I may go pick up WoW today (unless I talk myself out of it, again). I have not been reading all the WoW threads at all so I wouldn't want to pick this up, but the buzz is so good on this game I might as well give it a try.

I don't really have the time to go through all those posts now so could someone answer 2 questions for me please?

What server do I want to play on? Where are the OOers? I don't want PvP, not sure if there are non PvP servers in WoW or not.

I work weird hours, so I will be playing at odd times. So I want a good solo class. I loved my druid in EQ1, I was a leveling machine with him. Is there a class similar to this in WoW?

Thanks...
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
tals

Post by tals »

If you don't like pvp then you may be best suited to EQ2, by its name Warcraft is a tale of war.

I think even the non-pvp servers have pvp in area's others can correct me on that.

Tals
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

I believe a lot of OOers are on Whisperwind, but there's been some serious problems with that server lately (too crowded, technical problems, etc). I'm on Suramar, which is much less crowded and hasn't had any problems. There are PVP servers available but by default servers are not PVP.

As for soloing, I would try a hunter. Good ranged attack, okay melee and best of all you get to tame pets. These pets will gain in level if you keep them for a while, or you can just tame higher level beasts. Send the pet in to fight mobs and shoot them from a distance. I'm at level 23 and have spent 95% of that time soloing.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

tals wrote:If you don't like pvp then you may be best suited to EQ2, by its name Warcraft is a tale of war.

I think even the non-pvp servers have pvp in area's others can correct me on that.

Tals
The non-pvp servers have purely voluntary PVP. You will never be attacked by another player unless you want to fight. There's dueling, and sometimes the Horde players will raid Alliance territory and vice versa, but it will have no impact on your play unless you want to get involved.
- George Orwell
tals

Post by tals »

Appretiate the clarification - does it work? I'm aiming to join the pvp servers when Euro final beta has lift off.

Tals
tcweidner

Post by tcweidner »

Whisperwind is fine, it has no more problems than any other server. We play the Horde and there is very little lag. Sure once in awhile it may pop up but overall the server is fine.

as far as soloable classes. Blizz has done a great job and every class can solo just fine. Look em over and pick the one that sounds fun to you.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

tals wrote:Appretiate the clarification - does it work? I'm aiming to join the pvp servers when Euro final beta has lift off.

Tals
PvP isn't fully implemented yet. They plan on a structured system with honor points, special items, etc. but right now it's just a free for all on the PvP servers and occasional duels and raids on the non-PvP ones. I've dueled a few times with my hunter, it's fun and essentially consequence-free. Some people duel for money but I haven't tried that. I also helped take down a high level Horde raiding force; they were cutting down NPC guards and any solo PCs that attacked them but once a group of us got together and attacked all at once we were able to win.
- George Orwell
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks guys, just picked up. It has a huge manual! When I started EQ1, it had a small manual, and the info that was in it was all but useless, so this surprised the heck out of me.

Tiny Ogre, if you read this, please send my deepest thanks to whoever decided to put both the Mac and Windows versions in the box. I really wanted the game for the Mac but heard it doesn't run that great on the iMac G5s (thanks to the crappy video card). Now I can at least see for myself and play on which ever computer I am on.

I have some cooking to do, so I will read the manual, and decide what character to play. The Hunter sounds pretty damn cool already MH.

Thanks again for the input guys.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lee wrote:Thanks guys, just picked up. It has a huge manual! When I started EQ1, it had a small manual, and the info that was in it was all but useless, so this surprised the heck out of me.

Tiny Ogre, if you read this, please send my deepest thanks to whoever decided to put both the Mac and Windows versions in the box. I really wanted the game for the Mac but heard it doesn't run that great on the iMac G5s (thanks to the crappy video card). Now I can at least see for myself and play on which ever computer I am on.

I have some cooking to do, so I will read the manual, and decide what character to play. The Hunter sounds pretty damn cool already MH.

Thanks again for the input guys.
I'm with you, just picked it up today as well, but everything on my PC is ready for a much needed reformat, so i still need to wait...

I'll probably go Alliance (or Horde) Hunter on Whisperwind for starters, since i've never played an MMORPG, i figure it's probably one of the easier classes to start with.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well performance on the iMac is horrible, so I am running the update on the PC right now. My PC is a lot faster for gaming so I don't expect any problems on it.

I have a Night Elf Druid on Suramar named Sixtus (my old EQ name). I learned from EQ, that highly populated servers suck, so I stuck with a moderately populated one.

If I see you around MH, I can buff you with my level one buffs. :)
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Lee wrote:Thanks guys, just picked up. It has a huge manual!
Heh, you should see the Brady Strategy guide for it. Yeah, it's $25, but worth every penny, IMHO. 430+ full color pages and loaded with useful info, maps, monster and item charts, etc. It really is one of the best strat guides I've ever seen.
tcweidner

Post by tcweidner »

Yeah, the maps in the guide alone save you tons of headaches and are well worth the 25 bucks alone.
vizionblind

Post by vizionblind »

goto:

www.thottbot.com for info

and use this:

http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/

^^ clickable maps
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff Jones wrote:
Lee wrote:Thanks guys, just picked up. It has a huge manual!
Heh, you should see the Brady Strategy guide for it. Yeah, it's $25, but worth every penny, IMHO. 430+ full color pages and loaded with useful info, maps, monster and item charts, etc. It really is one of the best strat guides I've ever seen.
i posted this in the bargain hunters thread here, but check out www.bookpool.com for the strategy guide. i paid a little over 16 bucks with shipping for it through them.
He won. Period.