Wanderers what classes do you need? (WoW)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lee

Wanderers what classes do you need? (WoW)

Post by Lee »

I am really having a hard time figuring out what character to play in WoW. Is there any class that the Wanderers is in need of incase I can catch up to you guys? None of the classes have really grabbed me yet (played warrior, druid, hunter, and warlock), but I am kind of leaning towards warlock. If the guild needs healers I am more than open to play a priest/shamen/druid.

This is all assuming I stick with he game, I am having fun with it, but I am sick of playing low levels and want to work on just one character.

I have some questions on the lag of Whisperwind, but it just seemed fine for the last 2 hours of play.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Speaking only for myself, I'd say we'd need whatever lets Lee enjoy the game the most, whether that's a grouping class (priest, warrior, shaman) or soloing (hunter, warlock). Of course any class can solo and any class can be made group-friendly with the right specialization.

For what it's worth I probably have the most fun solo when I'm playing my warlock, who shreds mobs and has a pet. Self-reliant and versatile. I enjoy grouping the most when I have my priest, who is entirely healing-speced and doesn't do the most damage, but really improves any group he joins.

The best thing you can do, if you're on the fence, is to pick one character and play it into the teens and beyond. My first impressions of WoW were blah, but the game really does get better the further into it you get. With any class.

Also, you get more out of the Wanderers if you chat with them. Say howdy!
Over here.
Lee

Post by Lee »

LOL thanks Tareeq, your post didn't help me narrow it down much. :) I just can't decide what I want to play. I never liked tank classes much, so those are out. In EQ I liked playing a druid who could solo great, but could offer something to the group (although many EQ players would question how much a druid did add to a group), and the WoW druid seems to be close to the same. So I am kind of leaning towards druid so I could be a decent solo'er and a helpful party character (or maybe a shaman?). But I can really see the Warlock being fun in the long run too. I need to buckle down and play one character because I am really sick of the newbie game and want to get beyond it.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Austin

Post by Austin »

Shaman seem pretty fun and unique to WoW. I have taken to the warrior life though. Going pretty much purely defensive. (Oh yeah Tareeq, look for Bonk. I haven't joined Wanderers yet but qp and I are planning to.)
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Austin wrote:Shaman seem pretty fun and unique to WoW. I have taken to the warrior life though. Going pretty much purely defensive. (Oh yeah Tareeq, look for Bonk. I haven't joined Wanderers yet but qp and I are planning to.)
I watched a warrior get pounded on repeatedly tonight in the raptor part of the Wetlands. Without paladin healing they just don't look like they cut it. I had to bail him out a couple of times with my pet, but even then he died.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
naednek

Post by naednek »

if you're looking to join the guild from OO, you might want to spell it right :D

Wanderers
Lee

Post by Lee »

naednek wrote:if you're looking to join the guild from OO, you might want to spell it right :D

Wanderers
Yes I am a dumbass. :)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

The Wanderers are nearing 240 members, with around 60 on during normal US hours. So yeah, like Tareeq said, no burning needs.

However, I did do an absolutely ridiculous amount of research into the classes to decide my character... because I'd probably just be playing one with maybe two piddly alts max. I eventually chose Shaman, because it was just so darn versatile. Need to solo? Shamans have a GREAT set of self buffs. Need to be a ranged caster? Shamans also have a great set of spells. Need to heal? Shamans can also heal competently (better watch the life bars really carefully if you're the primary healer though). It's great, I get to do nearly all the available combat options in the game.

That said, I very nearly went Hunter or Rogue. I asked myself "Hiro, what is the number 1 most common hero you used in Warcraft III? I mean, as your strategies changed... what was the constant hero you ALWAYS used WITHOUT FAIL?"

That would be the orc Far Seer. I went Orc Shaman.

As for Druids... they are Tauren/Night Elf Exclusive. I didn't feel like playing a Tauren, so it simply wasn't an option for me. If it was available for orcs though...
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

I have chosen Warlock because I wanted something shady although not really evil.
In the beginning it was a bit hard and I still die at lvl 12 but now that I got my demon "tank" (Voidwalker) things are getting better and better.
I love being the guy in the back pulling the strings also in real life...

I think you should choose whatever you like and not what guilds might need most.
I read about the Paladin in the Brady Strategy Guide and I think they were pretty right with their judgement: "Can be pretty boring doing the same seal thing over and over again."
Exactly what I thought while reading about it.
Guilds need dedicated people and to be dedicated you should really care and love to play YOUR character.

Yesterday I had some encounter with a lvl 22 female priest that rez me in a dungeon and tried her best to keep me alive and well.
She also wanted to give me some free stuff like spring water and mushrooms (my inventory was full however as always).
I chatted a bit with her and it turned out she is a mother (told me she has to bring her child to sleep now).
I think that for some people at least their WoW character resemble their real character.
Lee

Post by Lee »

After my last post I decided to try out a Tauren shaman. Got him to level 7 pretty quickly and I am liking him a lot so far. He is pretty tough already and is easily taking down 2 mobs at once in an area where my hunter could only take down one at a time. I think I will stick with him.

3 day weekend this weekend, hopefully I can get a bunch of levels under my belt.
docvego

Post by docvego »

SuperHiro wrote:The Wanderers are nearing 240 members, with around 60 on during normal US hours. So yeah, like Tareeq said, no burning needs.

However, I did do an absolutely ridiculous amount of research into the classes to decide my character... because I'd probably just be playing one with maybe two piddly alts max. I eventually chose Shaman, because it was just so darn versatile.
I agree with Shiro *cough* I mean SuperHiro. I first played a mage up until level 20, I loved the damage but he was way too *soft* for my taste. I switched to a Shaman and I haven't looked back. I can fit any role needed in a pinch, but I'm working on an Enhancement (Tank) Focus. I dish out critical hits with my Axe like crazy now.

I dig my Shaman.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

If you're asking a wanderers question, you might want to ask on The Wanderers website :)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

The Mad Hatter wrote:I watched a warrior get pounded on repeatedly tonight in the raptor part of the Wetlands. Without paladin healing they just don't look like they cut it. I had to bail him out a couple of times with my pet, but even then he died.
Warriors can be pretty good, though to be honest, from 20-40 the class is awful. At 40, you get a pretty big boost in power (if you spec arms, you get Mortal Strike at 40, and all warriors get plate, which is a huge improvement).

As for getting pounded on....well...yeah we DO get pounded on :). Meatshield and all....