Need a new game.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

crumsteel

Need a new game.

Post by crumsteel »

I am in the mood to have a thinking game I can play off and on. I been thinking about picking up morrowind again and playing that. Last time I got frustrated with the journal and quit, but I hear that has been improved with the expansions. Other games I have been thinking about are WoW and EQ2. Are these games ok for a somebody to travel alone and not in a group?
Well I am looking for the suggestions of the OO community.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Not having played WoW or EQ2, Morrowind gets my nod. The Journal was improved quite a bit with the first expansion. Make sure to check out this thread for all your mod needs!
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
VegasD

Post by VegasD »

Morrowind or WoW (if you can find a copy) are good choices. EQ2 will probably leave you frustrated if you try and play solo only.
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

I forgot to put I am also up for any other suggested games.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

What do you mean by "a thinking game"?
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

ChrisGwinn wrote:What do you mean by "a thinking game"?
Something more than running around and shooting like Unreal or just collecting resources, build, attack, start over like an RTS. A game that will have me completing quest and solving some puzzles is along the lines of what I am thinking.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

How about Wizardry 8? It's definately more of a "stat" kind of RPG so there is plenty of thinking. Morrowing really doesn't have a lot of "problem solving" in it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is the new Pirates! game thinking enough? I sit and play it for about 45 minutes to an hour a day. I wouldn't say it's problem solving material..but it's good as a mental sorbet.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

crumsteel wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:What do you mean by "a thinking game"?
Something more than running around and shooting like Unreal or just collecting resources, build, attack, start over like an RTS. A game that will have me completing quest and solving some puzzles is along the lines of what I am thinking.
You could go for some adventure games, like The Longest Journey. The various turn-based 4X games (Alpha Centauri, etc.) can work well in small doses. It's easy to forget what's going on in those games though.

I'm not sure how short of a period you would play for, but I've heard good things about both Strange Adventures In Infinite Space and Puzzle Pirates for short-term gaming

You could try the Sims 2. I realize it has a bad rep among serious gamers, but there's a surprising amount there, and it's easy to pick up and put down again. Other sim games frequently have short scenarios that can be played - I know sim city used to and I seem to remember some in Tropico.

People who liked Morrowind also seem to have enjoyed Gothic 1/2 and Arx Fatalis. I don't know if they have similiar journal problems, because I avoid the whole subgenre.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

The Longest Journey
Syberia I and II
Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great
Dragoon II
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

I am down to between morrowind and world of warcraft and have some questions.
Can somebody play WoW without being in a group? Most MMO’s I do not join groups
All the morrowind threads lately have me wanting to just play the game, is it a game that will carry me for a while having fun.

Which game to get???
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Anything in the Combat Mission series would work, too. It's playable in small doses (small battles, or single turns of large ones at a time), and it's definitely more of an involving tactical game than an RTS.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

crumsteel wrote:I am down to between morrowind and world of warcraft and have some questions.
All the morrowind threads lately have me wanting to just play the game, is it a game that will carry me for a while having fun.

Which game to get???
In a word, yes. WoW is one of the most solo-able games out there; I mostly solo, and at level 39, I'm still never short of things to do.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

crumsteel wrote:I am down to between morrowind and world of warcraft and have some questions.

Which game to get???
Yes, you can solo in WoW and it is one of the easiest games to solo in...but honestly you will have more fun in a group...just like any other MMO game.

I would go with Morrowind, since you also don't have to pay $15 a month to play it.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'd go with WoW - I just found MW too sterile. I joined a guild in WoW but I've always soloed with no problem and am now at level 25 in about 2 weeks.
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

It doesn't look like there is a choice right now. I checked the local EB, Best Buy and circuit city, all are sold out of WoW.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

IceBear wrote:I'd go with WoW - I just found MW too sterile. I joined a guild in WoW but I've always soloed with no problem and am now at level 25 in about 2 weeks.
Damn. I had an 18 level lead on you and now I'm behind.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

ChrisGwinn wrote:
IceBear wrote:I'd go with WoW - I just found MW too sterile. I joined a guild in WoW but I've always soloed with no problem and am now at level 25 in about 2 weeks.
Hehe - Well, my mega gaming sessions are over now. The weather was bad the past few weeks so I was "working from home" more than I was in the office, but now the workload is coming back so I can't do that anymore. I'll probably get an hour a night now (if that).

Edit: I got a new pet crocodile last night which I named Gatoraid :P
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

IceBear wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:
Hehe - Well, my mega gaming sessions are over now. The weather was bad the past few weeks so I was "working from home" more than I was in the office, but now the workload is coming back so I can't do that anymore. I'll probably get an hour a night now (if that).

Edit: I got a new pet crocodile last night which I named Gatoraid :P
Is a pet crocodile really a good idea? Sure, they're all cute and snuggly when they're babies (cute name too)... but I'm assuming as an adult this is going to be a "hands-off" kind of pet. Sort of a non-pet, like a piranha, scorpion or wolverine. Sounds cool 8)
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

He's talking WoW pets. ;)

You can have pet scorpions in WoW too.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

If you want to support a small game, get Secret of the Silver Earings, a bargain bin adventure game that has gotten 80-90% scores in all 3 major computer game magazines.
Otherwise I'd recommend the Syberia I and II games. I have enjoyed all 3.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)