I want an XBox

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Windows95

I want an XBox

Post by Windows95 »

God help me. I've never been a console man, but I was slowly worn down reading this forum and it's GoneGold predecessor and bought a Gamecube on the cheap. Now I'm looking at Burnout 3 and Fable and thinking I need (not want!) an Xbox.

Any tips on good deals or must have accessories? I'll be using it strictly for playing games (not watching DVDs etc.) on a regular old fashion TV with stereo sound. The two games I really want to try are Fable and Burnout 3. Any other good must have titles? (and please don't say Halo :evil: )
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

I bought an Xbox a few weeks ago. I sold my DC to a GG'er, as well as some other things. Then my bro got me a BB gift card for being in his wedding. Next thing you know, I have an Xbox!

I got Burnout 3 (great!), NFL2k5 (great!) and then later at CC, PGR2 (great!) and KOTOR (not sure yet!).

I was PS2-less for about 3 months and didn't miss it all that much. Now that I have the Xbox (and a baby boy who kills my gaming time), I really want to play ALL THE TIME.

I got an Advanced A/V pack off ebay for cheap. If you're just doing stereo TV, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm looking into a second controller to see if I can get my wife into the vids. Other than that, if you have broadband, it's handy to get the updates via Live (2 month free with Burnout 3).

Enjoy!
You complete me.
words
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

What games I recommend really depends on what types you like, but here's a few of my favorites (besides Fable and Burnout 3):

Amped 2
Beyond Good & Evil
Colin McRae Rally 04 (05 as soon as I can :))
Crimson Skies
MX Unleashed
Project Gotham Racing 2
Soul Calibur 2
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Voodoo Vince
Tony Hawk 3
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

You complete me.
words
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

If you like sports games, I guess. I don't know if that's a very appealing combo for many other people (like me), though.
baka_na_ichigo

Post by baka_na_ichigo »

I highly enjoy Dead or Alive 2, as well as Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball. Fuzion Frenzy is nifty too, in a Mario Party sort of way. I also heartily agree with the recommendations for Project Gotham and Soul Calibur, though I'd buy SC2 for the gamecube, just because playing Link is awesome.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

EngineNo9 wrote:
If you like sports games, I guess. I don't know if that's a very appealing combo for many other people (like me), though.
Odd. I'm not a big footbal fan, so if that were the bundle offered, I'd have skipped it, but I recently picked up the Holiday bundle here in Canada and it came with Topspin and Amped 2. I love snowboarding games, so Amped 2 was a natural choice. I played the Demo for Topspin awhile back, and it seemed nice, but I'm no tennis afficianado, so the whole concept eluded me, but I figured it'd be nice to have Anna Kournikova available to prance around for me at my whim. :P (Turns out, I'm actually pretty good at Tennis. I'm ranked #5 in career mode! martina Hingis, here I come!)

IIRC Win98 (It's about time you upgraded your name ;) ) is in Canada as well, so look into it. if you'd rather have the football, you may be out of luck. Topspin is a pretty well done tennis game though, and Amped 2 is one of my all-time favourite boarders. That'd be a decent deal to pick up that'll give you 2 good games to keep you occupied till you figure out what else you want to get. (Hint: get Project Gotham Racing 2 ;) )
Kael

Post by Kael »

Of the games I have the best are Burnout 3, Sudeki, SSX3 and The Simpsons Hit and Run. Sudeki isn't as good as Kotor, but I played that on the PC so I never got it for the XBox. And SSX3 and The Simpsons Hit and Run you can both get for the Gamecube.

The only games I regret getting are Fable (boring) and Project Gotham Racing 2 (Burnout 3 completly ruined me for all other racing games).
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Thanks for the recommendations. I do already own Soul Calibre 2 and SSX3 for my gamecube so I'm set there. PGR2 sounds good, but I've got a wheel for my PC so that's where I do most of my "serious" driving. I think I'll go with Burnout 3 for an XBox driving game. Knights of the Old Republic I've played on the PC (I wasn't a super fan).

Just curious, how does Amped 2 compare to SSX3? I'm really not interested in Tennis, so I'm just curious if Amped is much different or an improvement over SSX to warrant me owning two snowboarding titles.

Seems like feelings on Fable are pretty mixed. Too bad as it is one of the titles that's making me feel like I want to get an XBox.
Kael

Post by Kael »

Fable was the reason I got an XBox, so I was really sad that I didn't like it. But Im thinking http://jade.bioware.com/ will be everything Fable wasn't.
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

Windows98 wrote: Just curious, how does Amped 2 compare to SSX3? I'm really not interested in Tennis, so I'm just curious if Amped is much different or an improvement over SSX to warrant me owning two snowboarding titles.
Amped 2 is a totally different game from SSX3. It is much less arcadey and race based and more like real-world boarding with a variety of challenges on each mountain/run. It uses real mountains and you can board from one run the other just like in real life. I really love boarding down runs at mountains that I've gone to in real life. It also has full Live support for multiplayer as well as a couple new hills you can download.

It also has the best soundtrack implementation I've ever seen. It has over 300 songs separated into categories such as emo or electronic. You can disable any category in whole or individual songs as well as adding your own custom soundtrack from ripped CDs. Then you've got the "Favorites" tracks, which you can add any song to while in-game or menu by simply holding down the white button and then either play that list exclusively later or let them naturally cycle more often. That leads me to another nice thing: songs don't cut out at the end of a run, they keep playing back into the menus and on into the next run. I always got pissed off at games like Tony Hawk that cut of great songs at the end of a run. Of course you can also skip any song by hitting the black button.

Negatives for Amped 2 are that they use a new control system that can take a while to get used to (not button mashing like Tony Hawk derived games), and it can be pretty difficult to complete all of the challenges. The one bad about the extensive soundtrack is that there aren't all that many big name bands (not a huge problem since I just rip CDs of bands I like that much)

I personally couldn't stand SSX3. I hated the camera and just never got all that used to the controls. I also was not a fan of their "innovative" selection interface (boarding down the hill and trying to steer into the right event) nor the crappy, limited soundtrack and lack of online play.[/i]
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Well I ended up buying the holiday pack (all the stores were sold out of the regular version). Only an extra $20 for Amped and Top Spin so not a big deal. Also picked up a used copy of Burnout 3 (awesome!) and Fable. I thought Top Spin wouldn't see the light of day, but I'm actually having a fair bit of fun with it. Who knew tennis could be fun? :)

I've been really enjoying the system so far. I find with my new job I have a lot less play time and it's kind of nice to plop down on the couch with a video game.

Definately happy with my purchase.
stessier

Re: I want an XBox

Post by stessier »

I couldn't figure out a better thread for this really stupid question -

How do I tell what version of the Xbox I have? I think I want to get Halo Infinite and don't know if I need a One or Series X. I think it was a Series X...but I'm not sure.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Series X is a big block of a thing with an indented top (if you placed on end) or side (if placed on side).

But you can also go to xbox.com and log in to your account and then view what devices you have from your account page.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:05 pm I couldn't figure out a better thread for this really stupid question -

How do I tell what version of the Xbox I have? I think I want to get Halo Infinite and don't know if I need a One or Series X. I think it was a Series X...but I'm not sure.
That's the challenge with xbox's lack of a naming strategy. I mean you are basically asking if you have the equivalent of a pS4 or PS5. It seems like it should be obvious, but because their names are all over the place, it's not.

I mean nintendo does somewhat random names, but their names don't really overlap and when they are close are somewhat sequenced.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Halo Infinite runs on XBOX One and Series X and S.

When did you buy your XBOX?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Eh, they have a naming strategy... it just changes all the time!1
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OO really is getting old when we cant tell what console we own.

First is it blinking 12:00? If so thats a VCR not a Xbox. Im getting so old thats all the tips I have.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:56 pm OO really is getting old when we cant tell what console we own.

First is it blinking 12:00? If so thats a VCR not a Xbox. Im getting so old thats all the tips I have.
Eh, I have at least 4 consoles in the AV cabinet which are either hooked up, or can be easily hooked up, and at least one other in a box somewhere (not sure if the friend I loaned/gave my original xBox to ever returned it - I think I just had him donate it, but it could be in the garage...).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That's no Xbox, it's an air cleaner! I dare you to try and hook it up to a TV.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:05 pm I couldn't figure out a better thread for this really stupid question -

You my good sir win the forum award for longest necroed thread. Congrats, you filthy necro you. :D
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.