Blade Runner

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Blade Runner

Post by Daehawk »

Wow. Im surprised this game ran. I got it in a trade a long ways back and had never gotten around to it. I found it again while looking for stuff to try out before I format the system.

Tossed it in and it installed and ran with no tweaking or anything. Pretty awsome for a game from 1997.

I got a question though. im still near the beginning and am wanting to try the shooting range at the station. It lets me in but I wait and wait and no targets ever pop up. All I can do is walk around and exit the shooting range. Is this a bug? Ive not patched my game come to think of it. Maybe I should hunt for a patch if there were any.

Anyways it seems like it might be a cool game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I consider Blade Runner to be the finest adventure game ever made, and I've played a lot of them. I've played through the entire game over 10 times, and I still keep finding new stuff or having random events change minor or major parts of the plot that I've never seen happen before.

As for the shooting range problem, I've had that as well with newer computers. I don't know if there's a fix, but it's not important anyway. You don't need to do that part to finish the game.
Insert witty comment here.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Another game that I need to add to my backlog one of these days.

And all of the LucasArts Adventure games, really. I've never played Sam & Max, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Escape from Monkey Island (though I've played through a small part of it).

I'm an adventure game n00b tbh.
Gwog

Post by Gwog »

This is one of the ones I plan to get to over the next two-year 'no new games' period. Make sure you check out http://www.brmovie.com/Game/index1.htm for, well, all the usual stuff you might want.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well it looks like I wont be playing it through after all. I cannot finish act 1 even. Ive done everything I can do. Ive followed the faqs to the letter too thinking I missed something. The sushi cook will not attack me and flee. When I click him my guy just says stick around I may need to talk to you later.

The faqs read as if when I talk to someone it gives me a choice of what to say. I dont have any choices to choose from. My guy says stuff on his own when I click. Sometimes I have to click many times to get many responses.

The only thing I failed to do which the faqs say to do is when i exit the pet store is to talk to the cop who i told to interview the crowd before I went in. The faqs say talk to him twice to get 2 interviews he got from the crowd. Well when i came out and clicked him he said he had gotten nothing from the crowd. So I did'nt click him a second time. Why the heck would I after he tells me he got nothing??

Now the game wont go anywhere and Ive missed nothing else. Also that cop is gone now so no going back to him.
szgany

Post by szgany »

I remember having trouble with that part as well, but sadly it's been a few years since I played it, so I cannot remember exactly how I resolved it. Keep trying. There are likely going to be a couple of parts where you get hung for a bit. It's likely not the game that is glitching, but something you are overlooking, regardless of what the FAQ says.

EDIT: Have you tried...
Spoiler:
Going to your apartment? I seem to remember being attacked outside of the apartment by the sushi chef.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Daehawk wrote:Well it looks like I wont be playing it through after all. I cannot finish act 1 even. Ive done everything I can do. Ive followed the faqs to the letter too thinking I missed something. The sushi cook will not attack me and flee. When I click him my guy just says stick around I may need to talk to you later.

The faqs read as if when I talk to someone it gives me a choice of what to say. I dont have any choices to choose from. My guy says stuff on his own when I click. Sometimes I have to click many times to get many responses.

The only thing I failed to do which the faqs say to do is when i exit the pet store is to talk to the cop who i told to interview the crowd before I went in. The faqs say talk to him twice to get 2 interviews he got from the crowd. Well when i came out and clicked him he said he had gotten nothing from the crowd. So I did'nt click him a second time. Why the heck would I after he tells me he got nothing??

Now the game wont go anywhere and Ive missed nothing else. Also that cop is gone now so no going back to him.
This is exactly where I got when I tried to play this a year or so ago. Exactly.

Had the same problem w/ no targets at the range.

I got tired of messing w/ it and gave up.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
caesarbear

Post by caesarbear »

Daehawk, stop reading the FAQs that tell you what to do in what order. Bladerunner isn't your typical adventure game. It has many different branches and variations depending an how you play. Following a checklist is not the way to play this game, and will most likely lead you astray.

Also, my memory is hazy, but did you draw your gun when talking to the chef? You can play tough guy if you want information faster, but either way, something will happen if you keep looking around.

Patch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1. The spoiler. That happens after the sushi chef part. Which wont trigger.

2. No I did'nt draw my gun. I was afraid if I clicked him with my gun drawn it would shoot him. Will try that.

3. The patch crashed my system when I tried to apply it. Maybe its already patched on the cd.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Just drawing your gun is usually enough. You don't have to click on anyone unless you DO want to kill them. Also, you should keep in mind that holstering your gun while in a hostile situation might be a good idea depending on what you're trying to accomplish in any given situation. The other guy might take it as a peace gesture.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pulled my gun out..no help. The crosshairs stays greyed out and no matter how much I click it never fires. Guess Im stuck good.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

You need to find some evidence against the guy. Take a closer look at the pictures from the security camera that you hopefully should have by now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
found the chopstix, menu, howthe bodies were carved up. From the pics I found her anklet, her menu, the bad guys face, the liceansed plate, the car itself....Am I missing something?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well tilt I took your advice and went back to the pics. I had missed one shot. The faqs did'nt even mention it. Its the shot where you find the anklet on the girl. I had to zoom into her torso / face area and it panned aroundand gave me a full shot of her face. Then the cook attacked me after that and I finished act 1.

its stuff like that that makes me not enjoy an adventure game. Something small that you jus tcant find or notice and it screws up your whole fun factor. Im going to keep going though cause otherwise I love this game so far. Great atmosphere.
Dodger Bullet

Post by Dodger Bullet »

o' the gaming mag industry has lead me astray on this one, this was one of the games that i bought -- but didn't bother to give it a whirl due to some of its not-so stellar reviews. i hope i still have the game.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Dodger Bullet wrote:due to some of its not-so stellar reviews
Here's an important review of the game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

AAAAAAAAAAAAIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Im in the dna ally area and have to save a guy from a bomb and then run to safety. I think Ive heard him say "plz help me sire it going to blow..RUN! RUN!" about a million times! I fre him then we run outside and thats where I die everytime. Ive clicked everywhere out there to run away. Ive run straight ahead, to the left to the right and a lot of times I dont run at all for some reason even though Im clicking madly. Thats very annoying right there.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Daehawk wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Im in the dna ally area and have to save a guy from a bomb and then run to safety. I think Ive heard him say "plz help me sire it going to blow..RUN! RUN!" about a million times! I fre him then we run outside and thats where I die everytime. Ive clicked everywhere out there to run away. Ive run straight ahead, to the left to the right and a lot of times I dont run at all for some reason even though Im clicking madly. Thats very annoying right there.
I absolutely loved this game, but if I remember correctly, that's where I stopped playing it, because I couldn't get out of this puzzle. I just died every time.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

That could be some kind of timer bug with newer computers, though I haven't heard about it. I do remember that you have to be *very* quick during that scene and not waste a moment. If you've got a dual core processor, try forcing the game to only use one core and see if that helps. Dual core might sometimes mess up timing in games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got past it and finished act 2. I had to try that part at least 30 timesthough. Just got lucky in the end and ran to the bottom right. 20 others tries to get there failed but it finally worked. Puzzles like that ruin adventure games. I loved Full Throttle and dont recall any bad puzzles in it.
Arclight

Post by Arclight »

Blade Runner was my first Adventure-type game. I absolutely loved it. For the time it was amazing visuals and dialogue.
Of course, loving the Movie sure helps...but hey, who didn't love Blade Runner?
caesarbear

Post by caesarbear »

Daehawk wrote:20 others tries to get there failed but it finally worked. Puzzles like that ruin adventure games.
Back in '98, I don't remember it being that hard.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Will this run on XP?
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It should. I know I played it on XP a year or two back.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya runs flawlessly on XP. Its what Im running it on.
Bandero

Post by Bandero »

What a phenomenal game this was - the atmosphere created by this game was just like the movie. It might be time to break out the CD's and install this on my laptop...
"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. " Kurt Vonnegut
gilgamex

Post by gilgamex »

Wow. This is probably my favorite point-n-click adventure games of all time. A friend and I finished this game multiple times and saw about 5 of the alternate endings. More games need to have branching storylines like this one.

I haven't played this game since I ran Windows 95, but I am thrilled to hear that it works in XP.

I might have to re-install for a trip down memory lane. I wonder how the voxels look nowadays.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It looked pretty good. I lost it when I formatted the other day so did'nt get past act 3. Have to replay it someday.

It reminded me how much it saddens me that I lost my copy of Bioforge. :(
Max Peck

Re: Blade Runner

Post by Max Peck »

Nightdive is releasing their restored/enhanced version of Blade Runner tomorrow.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wonder if they fixed the buginess of it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently if you buy the enhanced version on GOG, it includes the previously released ScummVM version. It seems that this might be a good thing.

The Blade Runner game's new remaster looks worse
There are two reasons to consider playing the new 'Enhanced Edition' of Blade Runner over the version which hit GOG in 2019: 1) it has controller support; 2) it's on consoles. Beyond that, Nightdive's remastering has made Westwood's 1997 adventure game look notably uglier and you'd be better off with GOG's ScummVM version. The Enhanced Edition is out today and I've been flicking back and forth between the two versions, tutting. The Enhanced Edition still looks like a 25-year-old game, only now it looks 25 years old, blurry, and unlike itself.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“The Enhanced Edition is out today and I've been flicking back and forth between the two versions, tutting.“
LOL
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

PCGamer is also dunking on it. And probably everyone else...

Blade Runner Enhanced Edition is a disaster, not a remaster
When I got my first 4K TV, the first movie to grace the lovely new screen was Blade Runner 2049. It's a looker at any resolution, but I had high expectations—high expectations that were cruelly stomped on straight away. It looked awful. Cheap and artificial, like I was watching from the edge of a budget drama set. I thought maybe I just needed to get used to it and my eyes would eventually adjust. And it did look fantastic when nothing was moving. I was lying to myself.

After a lot of self-deception, I had a moment of clarity and finally checked the settings, where of course I discovered that I had become the latest victim of motion smoothing. The villain who decided to have it on by default must truly hate movies and everyone who watches them. But the moment I turned it off I had a nice TV and I could enjoy Ryan Gosling the way he was meant to be enjoyed—at a slightly slower frame rate.

God, I wish it was that easy to fix all the issues with Blade Runner Enhanced Edition.