What was the last really good RPG?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

DonD

What was the last really good RPG?

Post by DonD »

After spending the better part of the last year playing MMORPGs (yeah, I know, they aren't really RPGs), and RTS, TBS, FPS's..but no real RPGs, I'm now in the mood for something RPG-y.

The last one I really enjoyed was NWN (the basic game, never picked up expansions).

Has anything come out in the last 12-18 months that was really good?

- Don
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Bertran

Post by Bertran »

The general consensus seems to be that, as far as RPGs are concerned, the past year was mostly focused on MMORPGs, with Vampire: Bloodlines being the only "major" single player RPG release.

I haven't been too up on single player RPGs lately, but I just recently started Divine Divinity - Gamespot review is here. I believe that it came out in 2002, and has been described as a cross between Baldur's Gate and Diablo. It looks cool so far- nice 2d, isometric graphics, lots of quests, decent NPCs and storyline, great music. It's also pretty cheap- should be $20 or under. I'm not sure if this is the sort of game that you are after, but it might be worth a look.
DonD

Post by DonD »

I already have DivDiv as well as Sacred and the hybrid that was Spellforce.

All were pretty good games.

- Don
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The big releases in the last 18 months that really got some acclaim were Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Gothic II, Knights of the Old Republic, Spellforce (RPG/RTS merged), the Neverwinter Nights expansions, and Sacred.

Vampire is a modern setting, first/third person, single character vampire RPG. I haven't played much of it yet, but it is very solid. Based off of the Half-Life II engine, it looks good (although not as good as HL2), and is scalable for different systems.

Gothic II was a third person, single character RPG with a great setting and story. It really lets you feel like you have some freedom, and doesn't make you feel like you are able to conquer the world once you reach second level. One of my favorites off this list.

KOTOR was a small party Star Wars RPG. It was based on the Aurora (Neverwinter Nights) engine. It is in a close run with Gothic II as my favorite of those listed. Now would be a good time, as the sequel is coming out soon.

Spellforce I am playing now, and I am having a blast with it. Think of it as a third person RPG in which you can zoom out and play like an RTS, or as an RTS in which you can zoom in and take control of the main character, playing it like an RPG. It is long, has a few tough levels, but some great views. The Spellforce Gold import from GoGamer is the way to go to get the expansion, which isn't available in the US yet.

Sacred was a Diablo-like game, single character, ability to ride horses, and so on. It has lots of character classes, good graphics, and so on. I've only played a bit, but word on the street is that the game is fantastic early on, but loses steam toward the end.

The NWN expansions were much better than the original - better, more streamlined design, better story, you name it. Shadows of Undrentide was ten times better than the original campaign, and from what I hear, Hordes of the Underdark is better still. Get them both - you can download a player-made module that bridges them so you can play the same character all the way through.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

In my opinion KOTOR and Gothic 2 (released 2003) were both brilliant CRPGs, among the best ever made. Since then it's been rather slim pickings, in single player anyway. Though I haven't kept up with the latest Spiderweb releases (e.g. Blades of Avernum & Geneforge 2).
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Of the ones mentioned here, KOTOR, Hordes of Undermountain and Vampire were my favorites.
warning

Post by warning »

KOTOR 2 comes out in Feb sometime I believe.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

KOTOR with Vampire coming in second.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Currently playing KOTOR and the game is just plain fun. I have the first NWN and I started to get burned out once I hit the 2nd chapter since I like to do every single little side quest and explore everything. Definitely going to pick up KOTOR II.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
morlac

Post by morlac »

Everyone says the NWN expansions were better then the orginal. Since you liked it soo much you should look in that direction next...otherwise I'd say its pretty bleak. I have been hurting for a party based rpg romp lately(espically turn based) and so have found myself reinstalling wizardy 8 again.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Some day I will buy NWN platinum, when the price drops a bit...
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I'll add my votes to Gothic 2, KoTOR and Vampire Bloodlines (in that order). You can play Gothic 2 in first-person view, as well.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Cast my vote for Gothic 2 and then Sacred.

I left KOtOR at about the half way mark, doubt if I'll go back.

Forget Beyond Divinity. I bought but havent installed Vampire. Looking forward to it though.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm having insane amounts of fun with Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. This could just be the first RPG that I actually manage to finish!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

KOTOR flat out rules - get that.

Vampire is pretty decent.
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

What about "Beyond Divinity" which came out last year I think?

Wasn't that a RPG? (Not following RPG that much yet so I don't know but I thought it was labled a RPG).
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

Vampire is really good (until the final few quests where it becomes a rather bad beat 'em up). i like Seal of Evil, it's a bit old school and kind of, how shall i put it, clumsy and a bit 'individual' (i can't think of the word i want, basically the game works in the way it wants to work and not the way you expect it too). good fun though. minus the terrible voice work.
moth moth moth brown moth
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Intruder wrote:What about "Beyond Divinity" which came out last year I think?

Wasn't that a RPG? (Not following RPG that much yet so I don't know but I thought it was labled a RPG).

Because the name of the thread was to reccommend a really good RPG. This game sucked so bad that I will be hard pressed to buy the real sequel to Divine Divinity of which I absolutely loved. Beyond Divinity is a bad game man, a really bad game.

But to keep up with the spirit of this thread, another game I heard was good was the "fully patched" Temple of Elemental Evil. Since you enjoyed NWN this just might be up your alley.