Memorex combo drive just won't read certain DVDs...ideas?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Papageno

Memorex combo drive just won't read certain DVDs...ideas?

Post by Papageno »

Hey, folks, in case it helps, here are the details:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe, pre-2.0 PCB
1 Gig Corsair PC 2700 RAM

DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive: 48MAX 244816AJ, firmware version KWH8

Unfortunately Memorex's site has no updated firmware or drivers, either.

So far, it's only failed to recognize two DVD's I've put in it-- the Morrowind Plugins DVD+R that setaside sent me (and that he checked on both of his machines and confirmed as good), and some commercial film demo DVD of Sky Captain and the World of tomorrow that I got free at Best Buy back in September. Video DVDs seem to work OK, as has UT2K4 (the only game I've bought so far on DVD).

Setaside said that I should check whether this drive is compatible with DVD+Rs first. I've done a google search but can't seem to find an answer.

In case it's not fixable, any recommendations on a new DVD drive -- especially a DVD burner?
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Really dig my Lite-On DVD +R -R +RW -RW CDRW drive. Got it a year ago for like $189 and thing has never burned a coaster or failed to read a disk. Probably get it close to $100 now.

I'd definitly go with Lite-On again in the future.

I've had 2 Philips, 1 memorex, and a Yamaha drive go bad on me, but this thing has been 100%. Go 'bad' as in sometimes during a burn, they just lockup the entire system and wont eject. I have to powerdown to fix it.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I'm the opposite from Coskesh, my Lite-On I got last year worked 5 times and quit working it won't recognize anything put into it. My Lite-On stand alone DVD recorder for the TV only worked twice before it would no longer play anything including store bought DVD's, I did get the set top one fixed and haven't had a problem with it but I've only used it 2 times since it was fixed.

I replaced the Lite-On in my gaming rig with a Plextor last spring and it has worked flawlessly since, burning over 50 DVD's.

For my HTPC I built in November I read a few DVD burner shootout reviews on the web and ended up going with the NEC3500A. Back in November it was pretty much the clear winner tied with a Pioneer/Panasonic I can't remember which at most every good hardware review site. Search back in this forum for other threads on the subject and most people recommended the NEC.

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1714

One of the posts is me but I'm sure there are more threads than that one.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Interesting Rich.

I've always heard great things about Plextor, but they always seem to be out of my budget.

Just wanted to clarify that the LiteOn was my first/only DVD drive. The others that went bad were CDRW drives. I've only burned about 20 dvds with the LiteOn and probably 100+ CDRs.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I second the NEC drives. I got a 2510A and it has worked flawlessly.
Kasey Chang

My EPO cheapo DVD seems to be dying...

Post by Kasey Chang »

But it reads most DVD's I've fed it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds