Like Rome TW but looking for something harder.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

helot2000

Like Rome TW but looking for something harder.

Post by helot2000 »

My son loves watching me play as the Carthaginians with the rampaging elephants but I'm starting to lose interest. 3D is cool but I'd like something deeper (read: more difficult).

I'd like another Ancients wargame but frankly, I might have to leave that time period to find something good. I remember Chariots of War getting ripped bigtime. What about Spartan?

Ok, what about any wargame released in the last 6 months? What is holding your interest these days? In advance, thanks...
em2nought

good game, good graphics to boot

Post by em2nought »

Read this After Action Report http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.asp?m=109342 and then visit their forum and read all the gushing comments being made this weekend http://www.madminutegames.com

Who says real wargames have to be ugly. :wink:
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Download the Rome: Total Realism mod. It really balances out all the factions in the game, and makes the combat a lot more realistic and historically accurate.

They remove the timers, and combat happens at a more realistic and manageable pace. Each unit is now a bit more effective when not sent against their opposing type.

Phalanxes aren't the end all solution anymore.

I could go on, but seriously, try it out.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah, also the mod unlocks all playable factions, try playing as one of the enemy. This really makes it harder.
helot2000

Post by helot2000 »

Wow. You guys are good. Unlocking all the factions would add some playability to this title. I will definately download the mod. I wondered why you were limited to the Romans or Carthaginians only since the past TW titles let you play from any faction...maybe there is a Alexander expansion pack in the future?

And I'm going to look into the Madminute title also. I loved the old Battleground ACW series. Maybe its the Next Big Thing. Thanks!
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

Actually even in the unlocked version you should be able to play as a lot more nations than Rome and Carthage. Have you finished the 'long' campaign? You just have to do it with anyone to unlock them all. The mod unlocks even more nations.

There is an upcoming patch for Rome coming out. If it fixes the serious AI blunders (general suicide etc.) it should effectively up the difficulty as well.

You could try the Rome Total Realism mod, but it also makes the game slower which you may not appreciate. Not to mention when the official patch comes out you'll probably have to reinstall.
RodeoRanch

Post by RodeoRanch »

Any idea when the new patch is supposed to come out?
Scanner

Post by Scanner »

Another option is Hellenic: Total War, which is a free mod based on Medieval: Total War (the previous iteration of the Total War engine). It allows you to play as various Greek factions and includes Alexander the Great's campaign.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

You don't even have to finish the long campaign to unlock all the factions. Finishing the short campaign should do it also, and I didn't find it very easy with both strategic and battle difficulty set to max.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

RodeoRanch wrote:Any idea when the new patch is supposed to come out?
Yes, they've posted that it is in testing with Activision right now and scheduled for the end of the month, assuming nothing major is found wrong with the patch during such testing.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Yeah, try playing as the Seleucids if you want a challenge.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Snow

Post by Snow »

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on the Battle of Bull Run. Seeing the "logistical" aspects of marching regiments in column down roads, camps and the strategic to tactical integration has me very interested.

I've been puttin off the itch to start another Rome campain until the patch, and for $20 this just might do the trick!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Dumb question about the Realism mod. Can I just download the 5.1 file and be done with it or do I have to start at a lower version and work up to 5.1 (5.0 for example)? The readme seems to imply all I need is the 5.1 file, but it's so much smaller than 5.0.
MeSlayer

Post by MeSlayer »

IceBear wrote:Dumb question about the Realism mod. Can I just download the 5.1 file and be done with it or do I have to start at a lower version and work up to 5.1 (5.0 for example)? The readme seems to imply all I need is the 5.1 file, but it's so much smaller than 5.0.
Yeah I just downloaded this yesterday and found that confusing, what you need to do is install the actual game patch to 1.1 first, then install R:TR 5.0, then install R:TR 5.1

Also, you have to change a line in a preferneces file if its a clean install - you remember how your first game it forced you to do the tutorial ? Well the tutorial doesn't work with R:TR because it renamed the julii to the romans (i assume thats why - it doesnt work regardless the reason) and deleted the other 2 roman families. So with the tutorial not working, you cant "unlock" the rest of the game without changing that setting in the file.

Check the readme for R:TR for more info on that, I installed over a clean install without reading the readme at first (doh!) and that stumped me for a little bit.

[edited] for clarification
Hello this is a signature.