Windows SP2

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ripstar

Windows SP2

Post by Ripstar »

When this first came out there seemed to be a lot of problems reportedly caused by it.

Have these been fixed and is the current download of SP2 stable?
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I waited about a month after its release to install it.

Since then I've installed and re-installed at least 4 times with no problems.

The only thing that seems to still exist is that some games act funny -- the ones I've noticed are the two Rise of Nations titles. Both required a re-install after SP2 in order to work in a MP environment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

The problems were mostly overblown on release. The only thing that's a problem for me is that Freedom Force may not work. Irrational has promised a fix for that soon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No problems here aside from some IE incompatibilities by default, which were to be expected. Installed on dozens of machines.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ChrisGwinn wrote:The problems were mostly overblown on release. The only thing that's a problem for me is that Freedom Force may not work. Irrational has promised a fix for that soon.
The problems were seriously over-hyped on release. Everyone and their mother wanted to find problems with it in order to make headlines. 90+% of the reports were expected in that the firewall was going to default to ON, and that some applications would 'break' because of this.

The only serious problems that I recall reading about (which were also overblown, but real) were those in which a really old BIOS was present. A close second were problems if the system was infected by a virus or spyware.

So - update your BIOS before upgrading and do your best to make sure your system is clean (run an Antivirus and a spyware check).

MS SP2 home

Willl have many of your answers
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.