So what the heck is going on?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Peacedog

So what the heck is going on?

Post by Peacedog »

Well, we're starting our own site. Pretty soon (we'll let you know) the URL will be changed to: (www.brutesquad.net). We will keep you appraised on this. If for some reason you try the current URL and it doesn't work, you probably need to go there (our phpBB installation will need to be tweaked to accomodate the new domain, so bear with us).

What can you expect from this site?

The look of this site is temporary, just like the domain name. And we're looking for artists to help on that front. the names of many of these forums may sound familiar, but they could change. And we may be adding/substracting forums as we go. And let me state, the forums you see before you are not the ones you'll be reading. We may be adding or subtracting, and this particularly forum is where to discuss that.

We would like to create a Game Guide for PC gaming, similar to the old Gold Guide. We want forums to capture the spirit of what we had with the old Gonegold forums. We've got some other ideas we think people might like, and you can expect them to be discussed in short order. Additionally, you will find requests for people with certain skills will appear here.

For now, please act as if the old Code of Conduct is in effect. Soon, we'll have something else up (including some policy changes we'd like to discuss).

Lastly, let me state that this is not an attempt to recreate Gonegold. . .exactly. We want to capture much of the spirit of the forums here, true. But we're looking to do some things Gonegold didn't (and we won't do somethings it did).
Last edited by Peacedog on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enough

Post by Enough »

/goes and gets popcorn

Thanks for the effort you all. One thing that just occurred to me is how cool it is that every one of the GG refugees seems to be working to keep the community alive. Must mean that GG was a hell of a place, thanks Rich and everyone else who made that such a gravy place. Damn this is sounding cheesy. But again thanks and I hope that our community isn't too fractured over the multiplicity of sites the refugees have streamed out to. :D
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Is it permissible to attack Derek Smart before he becomes a member? Because I've already done it.

Thanks for effort, mods.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We're thinking of instituting a "No Derek" policy. After being not so subtly threatened with legal action recently, I'm thinking we should just avoid that risk by not allowing any Derek discussion at all - good or bad. :twisted:
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Dunno if that was necessarily an attack. You just stated the truth - that his games are complex and not fun.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ImLawBoy wrote:We're thinking of instituting a "No Derek" policy. After being not so subtly threatened with legal action recently, I'm thinking we should just avoid that risk by not allowing any Derek discussion at all - good or bad. :twisted:
How about a "If this staff banned you once already..." policy?

~Neal
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Last edited by Tareeq on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And let me state, the forums you see before you are not the ones you'll be reading.
Cool. Is this going to be some kind of magic show

BTW I love the metaforum idea. It'll be both a great place to vist and to stay away from.
Additionally, you will find requests for people with certain skills will appear here.
I'm out until you ask for someone with no appreicaible skills whatsoever. Then I am totally your man....unless you want a commitment or something.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have registered for so many new forums in the past few days that the only thing left to do is post a cat's butt.

:idea:

I'm going to bed.
slambie

Post by slambie »

Nice work gentlemen! Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Um...have you ever actually typed in www.brutesquad.com? I was flummoxed. You might want to think twice about that one.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If you're going to be misdirected, it might as well be to a bizarre site like that, right? ;)
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Just to clarify... it will be this same site, just directed to a different URL?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That is correct, Kratz.
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Ello everyone! Nice board. :D

Just thought I'd drop in and say hi before going to my new job as a CS rep, ha. Thanks very much to Peacedog for letting me know the new address.

Thanks also to JayG for remembering me on Console Gold. I saw your post dude, but didn't feel like registering at any board until it was more clear what was going on.

Anyway, I shall be back tonight with some Knights of Honor impressions. Absolutely bloody brilliant game, it is! Wales pwnz half of Europe already. :D

Ta ta for now.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Enough wrote: ...I hope that our community isn't too fractured over the multiplicity of sites the refugees have streamed out to. :D
I chose this site to migrate to because I like peace and dogs and because there is a boneified gaming girl amongst you rascals. :lol:
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I like the looks of this. Perhaps this will be the place we all can call home now. :)

Thanks, guys!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Dave Allen wrote:
Enough wrote: ...I hope that our community isn't too fractured over the multiplicity of sites the refugees have streamed out to. :D
I chose this site to migrate to because I like peace and dogs and because there is a boneified gaming girl amongst you rascals. :lol:
Note to self: take down the webcam before adult fun activities commence.

~The Meal
Sniffdude

Post by Sniffdude »

Not that I was checking out GG with the frequency that I used to, but is there going to be any background on what happened? I used to check GG every day, and contributed quite a bit in the forums at times, mostly a few years ago. I'm just curious as to why it up and died.

I also get it if there are legal issues surrounding it and you're just looking to start anew here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When it comes right down to it, we don't know exactly what happened or why. There has been a lot of rumor and speculation, and some sketchy third-party information, but all we are really certain of is:

~Rich or somebody acting on his behalf actively pulled the plug on Gone Gold
~Rich is still alive and doing his best to deal with his illness.

Anything more than that is pure speculation, and I don't think it entirely appropriate for people to try to divine the motivations of somebody in a situation that none of us will likely ever be in with as little information as we have.

As to legal issues - Rich owns the copyright for Gone Gold, its logos, and the majority of its content. Rich also owns the gonegold.com domain for the better part of the next year. When it comes right down to it, Rich has the right to decide to close down his business. We decided that we'd respect that right, and that we'd be better off starting afresh than trying to resurrect something that wasn't ours to begin with.

It is our hope that you'll all find the spirit of what made Gone Gold great here, but this isn't Gone Gold in any way except in the transfer of community.
Sniffdude

Post by Sniffdude »

Thanks Blackhawk! That's a great explanation, and all I was looking for really. I don't care to guess or criticize. It's a great online community (I just did my first trade a week or two ago) and I'm glad to see it continue.

Best of luck to all, and that definitely includes Rich.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Where am I :?: Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What happened to Andy and Stephen Saunders?

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lorini wrote:What happened to Andy and Stephen Saunders?

Lorini
One's committed to helping out part time and the other is still reviewing his options. Both have been involved with formulation of the new site/forums.

~Neal
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Why brutesquad?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dirt wrote:Why brutesquad?
See the URL suggestions thread for explanations and alernatives.
Raven_13

Re: So what the heck is going on?

Post by Raven_13 »

Peacedog wrote:The look of this site is temporary, just like the domain name. And we're looking for artists to help on that front.
Well I'm no artist, but if you guys need any (HTML based) web coding done, I'd be happy to help out.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Yohizzie homies.

(translated)

Good afternooon gentlemen.

(translated)

I am an English snob who works in a top secret agency and I direct James Bond even though most of the time he runs off and does his own thing but every once in a while he needs some backup people and I show up at the end of the movie and scold him telling him his methods are unorthadox but good job anyway, and is he prepared for his new mission?

(translated)

Heya

Oh, and I can help with the site. I can help with image generation (for less important stuff) or various small things. In fact, I'd love to be of help in any way I can.
PaulBot

Post by PaulBot »

I like pcgamesforum - why not keep it?

I also like the absence of the "Newbie" tag - bless you for omitting that!!
Charter Member of the Brutesquad Post Padders Club

I was PaulBot on GG. I'm PaulBot on CG. Live with it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

PaulBot wrote:I like pcgamesforum - why not keep it?

I also like the absence of the "Newbie" tag - bless you for omitting that!!
It is very likely that pcgamesforum.com will remain pointed to the forum no matter what happens as far as site branding. If brutesquad.net is not the eventual site name it will likely also be left redirected to the forum or possibly another section of the site. The biggest deal with the branding will be what shows up in search engines, banner ads etc.

The domains I've purchased will remain associated with the site, unless of course someone wanted to line our pockets. That is however extremely unlikely.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ironrod wrote:I have registered for so many new forums in the past few days that the only thing left to do is post a cat's butt.
Is that any different than the usual content of your posts? :)

Grifman
setaside

Post by setaside »

Grifman wrote:
Ironrod wrote:I have registered for so many new forums in the past few days that the only thing left to do is post a cat's butt.

Grifman
No banjo?
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

Ok, my head's spinning. I haven't had time to read Console Gold forums much the past few days. And then I see subtle references to "another forum." A little searching and I ended up here.

Do the masses currently sitting at CG know about this new place? Is everyone ditching CG for here? I really don't care what URL I type in, as long as I see the familiar names every day. :)
Sherrick

Post by Sherrick »

Thanks for all of the hard work and dedication, Mods. I appreciate what you've done, what you are planning to do, and also the invitation that led me here.

I don't know what I can do to be of assistance, but I'll be happy to lend a hand if someone will point me in a direction.

And, again, Thanks!

Sherrick
"Old Age and Treachery,
Always Overcomes Youth and Skill."
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

The Meal wrote:How about a "If this staff banned you once already..." policy?

~Neal
Sounds good to me.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

setaside wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Grifman
No banjo?
I shudder to think of when that abomination will rear it's ugly head in these forums.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

wankerjr wrote:
setaside wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Grifman
No banjo?
I shudder to think of when that abomination will rear it's ugly head in these forums.
It's already been spotted in the CG forums. I'm sure it will follow the trail here like the rest of us.
Lord Percy

Post by Lord Percy »

Well, it's not exactly a cat's butt, but a gem nonetheless: http://www.manaszk.it.pl/zarty/2911.mpg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:shock:
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Vesper wrote:Ok, my head's spinning. I haven't had time to read Console Gold forums much the past few days. And then I see subtle references to "another forum." A little searching and I ended up here.

Do the masses currently sitting at CG know about this new place? Is everyone ditching CG for here? I really don't care what URL I type in, as long as I see the familiar names every day. :)
I come around both places, but then I was posting at Console Gold way before the fall of Gone Gold.