[Rant] Backup plans, and strange state of toner costs

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

[Rant] Backup plans, and strange state of toner costs

Post by Kasey Chang »

I actually knew that my HP Laserjet IIp is almost out of toner, but last time I went down to Fry's I didn't see any for my printer, so I must have forgot about it.

Well, the printer took the worst time to take a dump... When I needed it, of course. I am printing tickets for my dad's business when the right side of printout started fading to nothing. It both wasted paper and my time. And as far as I can find, all the local replacements are in the $80-90 range. :shock: Genuine HP cart is $93-96, while OfficeDepot brand remans are like $80. :shock: I bought my last one at Fry's for $50.

So I got online and ordered one from ABCInk, and with a coupon, it comes out to be...$37.83 including tax, free USPS shipping. Hopefully it'll be here before end of the week.

But what do I do in the meanwhile? Then I remembered that my HP Deskjet 500C is still there on my desk. And yes, I still have ink for it.

So here I'm humming along, hoping my ink will last until my new toner gets here... :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There's always Kinko's. Works in a pinch.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Austin

Post by Austin »

LawBeefaroni wrote:There's always Kinko's. Works in a pinch.
They saved my sorry ass last week.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

But how can on reman cost so much more than another's? They do the same amount of labor, do they not? Is it all in the QC?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

take the toner cartridge out and slowly shake it from side to side and back and forth a few times. Any toner that's left will go to the side where there is none
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.