GameFly - 'free' Wii

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Granite

GameFly - 'free' Wii

Post by Granite »

Looks like GameFly.com has a deal where you get five friends to sign up for the service and they send you a free Wii. I was reading the terms of service, and I can't quite tell if the people have to be signed up for just the first month ($8.95) and then cancel, or if they have to also pay for the 2nd month ($14.95).

Either way it's certainly cheaper than purchasing a Wii in the store. I've seen a few people online that say they've received them already. I assume, being GameFly, that they will come through on the deal.

Anyway, they gave me one of those links I can hand out to people, but I don't want to just put it here as if I'm spamming you all. If anybody would like to sign up and doesn't mind using my link just PM me and I'll thankfully send you the link. If you are already a GameFly member, or want to sign up on your own and try this out, I found the link down in the lower left hand menu on their website I believe.
Big Jake

Post by Big Jake »

OK, what's wrong with this picture? Sign up 5 imaginary friends for two months (total value $120), and i can get a wii, esentially meaning for a minor hassle I can buy a wii for 50% off? Something sounds fishy to me here. (Of course, I'm naturally EXTREMELY paranoid.)
I play Bjork tunes on Elite in Audiosurf.
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

Big Jake wrote:OK, what's wrong with this picture? Sign up 5 imaginary friends for two months (total value $120), and i can get a wii, esentially meaning for a minor hassle I can buy a wii for 50% off? Something sounds fishy to me here. (Of course, I'm naturally EXTREMELY paranoid.)
Hmm ... you know what, that's a really good point.

I suppose you may have to set up Yahoo addresses for your imaginary friends, but ... yeah. Hmm. I may have to look into this for my remaining friends who are Wii-less (wow, that has word has a funny sound to it, lol)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Big Jake wrote:OK, what's wrong with this picture? Sign up 5 imaginary friends for two months (total value $120), and i can get a wii, esentially meaning for a minor hassle I can buy a wii for 50% off? Something sounds fishy to me here. (Of course, I'm naturally EXTREMELY paranoid.)
It's actually 6 subs, because you need one to be a referrer. And the value GameFly gets is more than the $120. They have 5 possible continuing subs and at the very least, inflated subscription numbers.

It would seem to me you'd also have to use 5 different credit cards for your imaginary friends. Maybe with 5 different mailing addresses.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

I'm willing to try this out and help a fellow OO'er, so PM me your link Granite and I'll sign up. I can definitely use a Wii for my gf who's going through chemo so she'll have something to take her mind off things when she's at home by herself.
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

LawBeefaroni wrote:It's actually 6 subs, because you need one to be a referrer. And the value GameFly gets is more than the $120. They have 5 possible continuing subs and at the very least, inflated subscription numbers.

It would seem to me you'd also have to use 5 different credit cards for your imaginary friends. Maybe with 5 different mailing addresses.
Good point about the number of subs, but even so it may work with just the different email addresses. I'd have to go over the info, but I can't access GameFly's website from work.
Granite

Post by Granite »

I got a free iPod quite a few years ago from one of the first sites to give them away. If I recall they even checked IP addresses of submissions and would disqualify any that were from duplicates. I don't know if that's something done by GameFly, but if you're going to try doing them all yourself that's something to look for.

I'm going to use friends, family and anyone interested in trying it that PM's me. I think I should be able to get the 5 ok. I'll keep you posted when I get the five on what happens after that.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

The friends have to sign up for 2 months, so it'll be $8.95 + $14.95. I signed up under Granite's friends list, and if anyone wants to help me out as well, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Granite

Post by Granite »

Just a quick update. I now have five friends signed up. They say that once everyone pays their 2nd month of fees they send you a form so you can choose a Wii or a one year subscription to GameFly. I'll post again when I receive the form, but so far so good.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Does it say, while supplies last?

Because those supplies won't last.
Granite

Post by Granite »

No. I couldn't find anything about while supplies last. I'm assuming they're just purchasing them as needed. It does say that you have to have all five people signed up by August 31, 2007 though.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

I have 1 friend so far and still need 4 more :(

If you have more friends who wants to sign up, or if anyone from the board wants to sign up, please send me a PM. :D

Thanks!
Granite

Post by Granite »

I asked seven friends. If the other two express interest I will most certainly have them use your link Tokek.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

So you can't be a current GF subscriber and get 5 new peeps and get the Wii?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Granite

Post by Granite »

I'm not sure what their specific rules are for current members. I would assume it applies to them. I know you have to get five new people who have never been GF members.

When you're logged in there should be a link in the bottom left corner of the home page about recruiting five friends if you can do it I think.

Here are some rules they put in their FAQ.

1) Only one reward per user.
2) Users must remain GameFly members for a minimum of 2 monthly membership fee charges in order to receive credit for their subscription in the GameFly Referrals Program.
3) Only your first GameFly account counts towards your reward, even if they`re opened with different credit cards or e-mail addresses.
4) Your friends must be first time GameFly customers, and they must remain paid members for a minimum of 2 monthly membership fee charges. Referring existing GameFly members won't help you get your reward, though it's nice to let them know about the program.
5) Your friends must sign up after following your unique invitation link — otherwise, we can`t give you credit.
6) DON`T SPAM. Please, only send invitations to people who you think will be interested. And don`t spam the message boards with off-topic posts, either — instead, include your unique invitation link in your sig file.
Granite

Post by Granite »

I just realized I hadn't posted an update on this.

In the end, I did get the free Wii. It showed up almost two weeks ago. It didn't all go as smoothly as they implied or promised, but they did come through in the end.

The hurdles that came up were that they took longer than they said they would to approve me when their requirements were fulfilled. After they finally said I was qualified I then received a letter in the mail a couple of weeks later. The letter implied that I had 'illegally impersonated' other people and that they were not going to send me a Wii, etc. etc. This was completely untrue of course.

After a phone call where I barely kept my cool, the woman on the other end apologized and said that it was probably due to a change in policy that actually didn't apply to me. I assume this was made up on the spot to appease me. Regardless, they did send me a letter the next week saying that I would get the Wii and they gave me a free month of rentals for the trouble.

So in the end we have the Wii, and have been having a blast with it. Their current promotion is for 6 months free or a DS, but I've had my fill of their free promotions, so I'll call it good with this one! :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats, Granite. Allow me to recommend Metroid Prime 3.
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

Granite, thanks for the follow up. I'm always fascinated with the pain 'they' throw at you on this 'free' offers. One frustrating attempt by me a few years ago to try and get an ipod was all I needed to turn me off. But I am glad to see someone beat the system. well played.
"Only a jackass quotes himself" Big Bone Tone
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Wow, i'd like a new DS. If anyone is interested in trying out GF and wants to sign up under me, shoot me a pm. Need 5 new friends :)

I'll be the guinea pig and see if i can get a free DS!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs