Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:30 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am Liquidity seems to be an issue.
:whistle:
:D
mori

Post by mori »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am
mori wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:41 pm Put 1K in Vinovest and let their algorithm choose the wine. So far I have a case of 2017 something :confusion-shrug: . Another case of invest only what you can afford to lose. Will be interesting if this outperforms the stock market such as claimed. This should also be considered a long term investment at 10+ years before it is sold.
Lots of fraud in the space.

Windsor James/Charles Winn/Vintage Casks

Bordeaux Cellars

Vinovest seems legit but lacks a lot of transparency in how they make the market. Liquidity seems to be an issue. They also take a fair amount of fees: buy side, sell side, and storage. Interested to hear how it goes.
Fees are certainly a concern. Examining the fee structure, unless you invest a somewhat sizeable amount (10Kish?) any profits will be eaten up by fees over 10+ years. I will trickle some money into it for awhile and see how it goes over 3 and 5 years. Then if I don't like the trend I can either cash in my stake or drink my wine. I need to ask the question on if there are fees to have my wine delivered to me as I still need to do the introduction interview. If you have any questions I should ask I would appreciate any advice.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Related to my share lending post above, I see now that Fidelity is paying 9% interest for my shares! Wow...that is much more than I expected.

However, I do question the idea that I am in a way shooting myself in the foot here. I know next to nothing about how much if any, this really moves the needle on share price. It's a relatively small amount (less than $10K), but I guess at scale, it could indeed harm the company...which, as an investor holding long shares, seems stupid. I could buy more long shares though, as a kind of moral counter! :D

Soooo...any thoughts? Anyone else do this?

It feels a but like the recycling idea...where if you consider your one tiny plastic container vs. the vast amounts of plastics being thrown away every day....it seems absurd. But if 10,000 households think that way...

I take it as a bullish signal that shares are so scarce that they have to pay me 9% for mine, but again, I am ignorant of these things, and have no idea what it REALLY means, or could indicate about the stock or company.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:36 am Added DSKE.

Dec 22 (Reuters) - Canadian logistics company TFI International (TFII.TO) said on Friday it would buy Daseke (DSKE.O), an operator of flatbed and specialized trailers, in a $1.1 billion deal, including debt, to scale up its truckload business.

TFI agreed to pay $8.30 in cash for each share of Daseke, representing a premium of 69% on Daseke's closing price on Dec. 21.

The combined company's truckload segment is expected to generate about $3.6 billion in annual total revenue on a proforma basis and would become one of the largest truckload businesses in Canada, TFI said.
Thus ends my run in DSKE. Going to hold through 1/1 and then probably selling assuming it's above $8. Leave some for the arbs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 pm Related to my share lending post above, I see now that Fidelity is paying 9% interest for my shares! Wow...that is much more than I expected.

However, I do question the idea that I am in a way shooting myself in the foot here. I know next to nothing about how much if any, this really moves the needle on share price. It's a relatively small amount (less than $10K), but I guess at scale, it could indeed harm the company...which, as an investor holding long shares, seems stupid. I could buy more long shares though, as a kind of moral counter! :D

Soooo...any thoughts? Anyone else do this?

It feels a but like the recycling idea...where if you consider your one tiny plastic container vs. the vast amounts of plastics being thrown away every day....it seems absurd. But if 10,000 households think that way...

I take it as a bullish signal that shares are so scarce that they have to pay me 9% for mine, but again, I am ignorant of these things, and have no idea what it REALLY means, or could indicate about the stock or company.
It just means the shares are hard to borrow. Could be because there are a lot of shorts or could be because there aren't a lot of borrowable shares. Looks like CMPS is about 7% short on a 56M share float (3.8M short). That's not outrageous but the ratio is kind of high, like 8 days to cover.

If you intend to keep the shares, might as well get the 9% interest.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

By the way, lots of message boards are on about not letting shorts "have your shares". It's nonsense. They tell you to put in high GTC limit orders to "lock" your shares and all that. It's total rubbish.

The best thing you can do it not let your broker loan your shares for free, if possible.

MYT
mori

Post by mori »

mori wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:08 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:39 am
mori wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:41 pm Put 1K in Vinovest and let their algorithm choose the wine. So far I have a case of 2017 something :confusion-shrug: . Another case of invest only what you can afford to lose. Will be interesting if this outperforms the stock market such as claimed. This should also be considered a long term investment at 10+ years before it is sold.
Lots of fraud in the space.

Windsor James/Charles Winn/Vintage Casks

Bordeaux Cellars

Vinovest seems legit but lacks a lot of transparency in how they make the market. Liquidity seems to be an issue. They also take a fair amount of fees: buy side, sell side, and storage. Interested to hear how it goes.
Fees are certainly a concern. Examining the fee structure, unless you invest a somewhat sizeable amount (10Kish?) any profits will be eaten up by fees over 10+ years. I will trickle some money into it for awhile and see how it goes over 3 and 5 years. Then if I don't like the trend I can either cash in my stake or drink my wine. I need to ask the question on if there are fees to have my wine delivered to me as I still need to do the introduction interview. If you have any questions I should ask I would appreciate any advice.
The money left over in my initial deposit was used to purchase a lot of a small cask of American whiskey. It cost $300 with a $25 two year storage fee. As with the wine I did not make the decision to purchase this specific cask. I hate that I don't know what specific distillery but describe to me as a mash bill of 70% corn, 20% rye, and 10% barley which is very ambiguous. But with small casks it is generally bottled quicker so I will get a return in 2 years or else I can have it bottled and delivered to me. Don't think I will do that as I have no need for 50 bottles (I don't think that quantity is accurate) of whiskey I never tasted.

Of the two companies I mentioned earlier of alternative investments, I much prefer Masterworks. They will insist on talking to you on the phone and explain all the details before you are allowed to invest. And the potential for high returns in shorter periods of time is much greater although I have no direct control of the investment and when to sell. But I get to choose what piece of art I want to invest in. It is all is very transparent. Those benefits only come at a 10K plus investment with Vinovest which is BS because what does it cost them to supply the information I would like?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A good time to buy Boeing stock, assuming no more planes fall apart midair?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Maybe a good time to invest in whoever makes Nylock Nuts. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I traded SPR from Monday's lows but now I think the easy trade in SPR and BA on this is over.

Deliveries is what will move BA now and this incident will probably slow the delivery ramp up.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bitcoin ETFs (more than one) passes the SEC. Google has no links yet. News should catch up quickly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bitcoin swings sharply after false claim that SEC approved ETFs
Just over 10 minutes later, the SEC chair poured cold water on the announcement. Gary Gensler posted on his personal account on X: “The @SECGov twitter account was compromised, and an unauthorized tweet was posted. The SEC has not approved the listing and trading of spot bitcoin exchange-traded products.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Shame on CNBC for reporting this. I guess shame on me for not finding a second source and then posting anyway.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:55 pm Shame on CNBC for reporting this. I guess shame on me for not finding a second source and then posting anyway.
FWIW it was a hack of the SEC's own account. The decision has been anticipated so they had reason to believe there was a forthcoming release from SEC as well. IMO it wasn't unreasonable for them to report that the rule was released.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Why is a bitcoin ETF such a big deal?

There are seemingly infinite ETF’s these days.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:26 am Why is a bitcoin ETF such a big deal?

To drive the price of bitcoin up and to give crypto more legitimacy and to give more opportunities for equities investors to get exposure.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:26 am Why is a bitcoin ETF such a big deal?

It's a spot ETF. There are some BTC futures funds but no way to get access to BTC spot pricing other than buying bitcoin directly.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's official.

Jan 10 (Reuters) - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has approved 11 spot bitcoin exchange-traded funds, including those of Grayscale, Bitwise and Hashdex, according to a statement on Wednesday.

The approval would be a game-changer for bitcoin, offering institutional and retail investors exposure to the world's largest cryptocurrency without directly holding it, and a major boost for a crypto industry beset by a string of scandals.

I've been buying GBTC in lieu of BTC and looks like the right move. The fee ain't great but I got a lot at >30% discount from NAV.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:37 pm It's official.

Jan 10 (Reuters) - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has approved 11 spot bitcoin exchange-traded funds, including those of Grayscale, Bitwise and Hashdex, according to a statement on Wednesday.

The approval would be a game-changer for bitcoin, offering institutional and retail investors exposure to the world's largest cryptocurrency without directly holding it, and a major boost for a crypto industry beset by a string of scandals.

I've been buying GBTC in lieu of BTC and looks like the right move. The fee ain't great but I got a lot at >30% discount from NAV.
Almost afraid to ask...what's the fee?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:34 pm

1.5%

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone have any good investing names right now they want to pitch? Who are you buying?

I've got a wad of cash in my sweep that's burning a hole in my proverbial pocket after selling my Broadcom today.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:59 pm Anyone have any good investing names right now they want to pitch? Who are you buying?

I've got a wad of cash in my sweep that's burning a hole in my proverbial pocket after selling my Broadcom today.
I hate to give advice, but I've done best over that last two years with XLE and covered calls. XLE, itself, keeps resetting to the price I paid but it has a nice dividend and I make typically around $100 a month per call. (That was with about $8,000 per 100 shares to start, which is the price it's at now again. It's been as high as $95 and as low as $70 in the last two years) I'm not smart or wealthy enough to get in to things like NVIDIA but XLE has been treating me well. Of course, if energy shits, you could lose 50% fast. I wish I had put more in (and has more to put in) two years ago. Of course, my taxes would be crazy high if I has the kind of money to throw at it like I wanted to. ;)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:25 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:59 pm Anyone have any good investing names right now they want to pitch? Who are you buying?

I hate to give advice, but I've done best over that last two years with XLE and covered calls. XLE, itself, keeps resetting to the price I paid but it has a nice dividend and I make typically around $100 a month per call. (That was with about $8,000 per 100 shares to start, which is the price it's at now again. It's been as high as $95 and as low as $70 in the last two years) I'm not smart or wealthy enough to get in to things like NVIDIA but XLE has been treating me well. Of course, if energy shits, you could lose 50% fast. I wish I had put more in (and has more to put in) two years ago. Of course, my taxes would be crazy high if I has the kind of money to throw at it like I wanted to. ;)
I JUST recently sold what I assume is the Vanguard equivalent of that, Vanguard Energy Index Fund (VDE). In process of consolidating my funds into one family, I culled some of the more niche ones (mostly because their holdings were duplicated at least once in my broader funds).

As far as being smart about Nvidia...I sold all my shares when it was around $7 or $8 with a whopping (to me, at the time) 40-50% profit. MAN was I bragging at the time how well I did on that one! :D and :grund:

I bought Broadcom (AVGO) a few months ago, got at least one of its hefty dividends, and honestly just got lucky. Sold it with around a 37% return, which in my older age I guess, is where I am starting to take profits VERY generally speaking. If I buy something and a few months later it's 30%+ gain? I will seriously consider selling just due to that return alone. Sure, you lose the 10 baggers that way, but statistically those are much rarer than something that simply flounders around the same price for years, or worse, goes down.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Does anyone know of a source for charts (or even comparison, doesn't have to be in chart form) that compares two or more stocks or funds, including dividends?

Example: I'd like to compare DE (Deere) with X stock/fund/index but I want to see the TOTAL return, including dividends, not just the stock price gain or loss over time.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:38 pm Does anyone know of a source for charts (or even comparison, doesn't have to be in chart form) that compares two or more stocks or funds, including dividends?

Example: I'd like to compare DE (Deere) with X stock/fund/index but I want to see the TOTAL return, including dividends, not just the stock price gain or loss over time.
www.dividend.com should have that feature.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I learned this year that the terms of my pension are changing and I'm interested in modeling when I can safely retire. I've been doing some googling and watching youtube videos on various monte carlo simulation methods. Has anyone tried to do this for themselves? Just looking to bounce some ideas off of someone.

Yeah, sure, I could go to a financial planner, but a) I'm cheap :D , b) I like math and think I should be able to do this, and c) understanding the model also helps me understand the risk giving me more confidence in my decision.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

What are the most promising A.I. stocks?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:55 pm What are the most promising A.I. stocks?
I just sold Broadcom recently...and I would put them in the top three. I also hold a little Amazon and a good chunk of Google, both of which I am about to also sell due to valuations getting so high, but also taking some gains. Only sold Broadcom because I get nervous when a holding is up so much within such a short time frame. Learned that lesson the hard way.

But any significant dip I will probably get back into Broadcom (for AI coverage).
mori

Post by mori »

Snowflake has popped on my feed as an AI stock for investment. It just jumped $18.75 to $218.69 which is close if not higher than the 52 week high with almost 12 million shares traded. It is getting a lot of action.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Repeating feature on CNBC this morning keeps talking about how Millennials and Z are accumulating wealth faster than the Boomers did at their age, much faster than X did and nearly as fast as X is accumulating now. However there is also more inequity of wealth than any other generation. Interesting. They don't really show their plots though, so I don't know how much it means. This is the exact opposite of what R&P has been saying about Millennials and Z for as long as I can remember. I would like to know more but I'm too lazy to Izzy it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Got some PANW after the ridiculous drop on earnings last week. Have been watching for a while but it just kept running.

In just below $270. May already be time to sell...

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:12 am Got some PANW after the ridiculous drop on earnings last week. Have been watching for a while but it just kept running.

In just below $270. May already be time to sell...
I did that with Google and Expedia recently...both already up from the absurd, off the cliff oversold situation after earnings.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNBC is now doing free "Live Ambitiously" ads for the presidential race disguised as snippets from their softball interview. Anyone have a better nonpartisan live business news feed that is a news feed? I think I'm about done with the way their pre market Sqwak Box is heading, especially if that sentiment remains behind the scenes for the rest of the day.

I want news. I like business news as a filter because business news didn'ttend to have a political filter and didn't tend to insert itself into the news it is reporting on. Gawd I miss Nightly Business Reports, though I like business news much better in the morning. I think CNBC has move to openly stating it exists for catering to its most affluent viewers.

R&P
Spoiler:
Somehow they leave out any glimpse of all TFGs stumbling and bumbling and rambling and attacks and bringing things to shoes, which was all I could hear before turning it off yesterday
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, I miss NBR too. Pretty sure CNBC bought it to kill it.

Marketplace morning report is OK. Not super in-depth or breaking but if you like the aftermarket one, worth a try.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:33 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:34 pm

1.5%
Grayscale plans spin off of spot bitcoin ETF
(Reuters) -Digital asset manager Grayscale Investments on Tuesday filed for a spin-off of its spot bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF), the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC).

The spin-off is part of a bid to offer investors lower-fee exposure to bitcoin, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Grayscale filed to list shares of a new investment product, the Grayscale Bitcoin Mini Trust, which will receive a certain amount of bitcoin held by GBTC. In exchange, current GBTC shareholders will get stock in the Mini Trust, the company said.

Since January, GBTC has seen capital outflows of $11.05 billion, according to data from crypto research firm BitMEX Research, even as bitcoin climbed to an all-time high and competitors recorded inflows over the same period. Grayscale is yet to determine the fees the Mini Trust will charge, according to the filing. Following the spin-off, both GBTC and the Mini Trust will operate independently, it said. The company's landmark victory in a legal fight with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) led to the approval of spot bitcoin ETFs - investment vehicles that allow shareholders to gain exposure to bitcoin without directly holding it - in January. Since the approval, competitors BlackRock's iShares Bitcoin ETF and Fidelity Wise Origin Bitcoin Fund have recorded inflows of $10.59 billion and $6.37 billion, respectively.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:13 am Yeah, I miss NBR too. Pretty sure CNBC bought it to kill it.

Marketplace morning report is OK. Not super in-depth or breaking but if you like the aftermarket one, worth a try.
Marketplace changed its link today. New:

https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marke ... ng-report/

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:39 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:13 am Yeah, I miss NBR too. Pretty sure CNBC bought it to kill it.

Marketplace changed its link today. New:

https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marke ... ng-report/
Love Marketplace, and Kai Ryssdal. Not ashamed to admit I have had a man-crush on him for years, even though I don't think I even know what he looks like. Just sounds like a guy I would love to hang out with.

Particularly loved him giving it to the Fed guy he was interviewing a few weeks ago, frustrated that they are not changing rates and being WAY too conservative/slow with policy when all signs are and have been pointing to "recovered" for a long time now. Wish I had a link but I just heard it while driving. He was still polite, but he was definitely pushing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, add him to your dreamboat dream board:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
After graduating from college, Ryssdal spent eight years in the United States Navy, first flying a Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye from the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, and later as a Pentagon staff officer. After earning his Master's degree, Ryssdal joined the U.S. Foreign Service, serving in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and Beijing, China.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:43 am
After graduating from college, Ryssdal spent eight years in the United States Navy, first flying a Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye from the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, and later as a Pentagon staff officer. After earning his Master's degree, Ryssdal joined the U.S. Foreign Service, serving in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and Beijing, China.
Wow, that's awesome! Had no idea, but it tracks with his obvious intelligence that comes through pretty well through his show.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Any of the 4 people left on OO that are also reading this board, currently or previously owned any cannabis or psychedelic related stocks? (or plan to buy in the future) I need someone other than the freaking Yahoo finance board to bounce shit off of. Preferably someone with a brain cell or two, and/or above the mental age/maturity of 15. :D

Reddit is pretty good, and far and above the Yahoo boards' trash, but I'm hoping for "next level" discussion. :D