Grundbegriff's Gallows: Stormbringer 2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

Grundbegriff's Gallows: Stormbringer 2

Post by Grundbegriff »

This will be a replay of Stormbringer under the same rules, but without private messaging. All game content will be available in the thread (except messages from me to individual Specials).

People who did not participate in the first Stormbringer game are nevertheless welcome to sign up for this one. Likewise, people who did participate in the first game are welcome to sign up for this one. Newbies are welcome.

The number of Slayers will depend on the number of participants. Distribution of roles will be entirely randomized by means of random.org.

To pre-register, indicate your interest below.

Roster:
  1. Remus West
  2. Newcastle
  3. Mr Bubbles
  4. tru1cy
  5. Chaosraven
  6. Kelric
  7. Orinoco
  8. triggercut
  9. gbasden
  10. pr0ner
  11. Kraegor
  12. Bakhtosh
  13. Austin
  14. PR_GMR
  15. Silky
  16. Nade
  17. st_dysan

Roles:

Slayer: Conspires to pierce one heart per night with Stormbringer.

Tracker: May ask for the role of one other player each night.

Snaresman: May secretly protect one player each night. May secretly protect one player each day. May not protect the same player twice in a row. May not protect the same player on successive days. May not protect the same player on successive nights.

Innocent: Forest-dweller.

Gameplay:
  • The living Slayers will choose nightly to kill one of the living in an attempt to satisfy Stormbringer and ensure their own survival.
  • Each night, the Tracker will follow another player and learn that player's Role.
  • The forest-dwelling innocents will vote daily to kill one of the living in an attempt to weed out the Slayers. An actual majority is required; once reached, the majority is irrevocable.
  • Each day and each night, the Snaresman will secretly protect one player, who will thereby be rendered immune to death at the hands of the innocents or immune to death at the hands of the Slayers.
  • All roles will be assigned purely randomly. Every player will receive a notification of his role before the game begins. Every player will receive a PM indicating that the game has begun.
  • PMs among innocents are forbidden. PMs among Slayers are encouraged.
  • The contents of a message from the Moderator (i.e., me) may never be reproduced, described, or otherwise mentioned in the thread.
  • Victory conditions: The forest-dwellers win if they kill all three Slayers. The Slayers win as soon as the number of living forest-dwellers equals the number of living Slayers.
The play sequence is as follows:
  1. Night: The Snaresman protects
  2. Night: The Slayers try to wield Stormbringer
  3. Night: The Tracker discovers the identity of someone he has followed.
  4. Day: The Snaresman protects
  5. Day: The forest-dwellers select an object of justice and press him beneath a slab of well-planed, carefully joined planks.
Participants:
  1. ...
Clarifications:
how is the day protection going to work? If the mob votes to lynch Player A, but he's protected, will the mob then have to work on another lynch vote or will the day simply end with nobody dying?
The day will end with no death, a fact that has interesting implications.

No Slayer will automatically die if they try to kill someone who's under the Snaresman's protection. The Slayers are, one presumes, addicted to and dependent on the sword; however, the sword doesn't abide by a daily cycle. So the Slayers understand their nightly killings to be a convenience, not a strict necessity.

(Rulewise, though, they have to try nightly.)

Can a Slayer kill a Slayer?
Yes. A Slayer may kill anyone who's numbered among the living.
Can the snaresman protect himself?
The Snaresman may protect any living being. However, he may not protect the same one two days in a row, two nights in a row, or two turns in a row.
If the snaresman protects a person that the people try to lynch, is the snaresman's identity revealed?
Nope. And he doesn't die if he protects a Slayer.
If Kelric the Snaresman protects LordMortis the doomed first night that means he may not protect LordMortis the angry crowd bait during the first day?
Correct. The restrictions on the Snaresman are:

(a) can't protect the same person two days in a row
(b) can't protect the same person two nights in a row
(c) can't protect the same person two turns in a row

So then, assume a cycle as follows:

Night#1 & Day#1
Night#2 & Day#2
Night#3 & Day#3

If the Snaresman protects Bubba Sue on Night#1, the Snaresman

may not protect Bubba Sue on Day#1 (rule (c));
may not protect Bubba Sue on Night#2 (rule (b));
may protect Bubba Sue on Day#2.

In effect, the Snaresman may guard the same person every third Snaresman-turn.

no edit rule right?
Nobody (except the Moderator) may edit any message. Nobody (except the Moderator) may delete any message. It's the only way to be wholly fair to people who are online at different times.

Use the Preview button; that's why it's there!

Grundbegriff wrote:The contents of a message from the Moderator (i.e., me) may never be reproduced, described, or otherwise mentioned in the thread.
Assuming the Tracker will be able to post the results of his scans...
Yes, but not by describing how I reveal that info, nor by appealing in any way to metagame info about my PMs that might lend credibility to someone's claim to be the Tracker.

We want to leave room for people to be led up the garden path, after all. :D

Does the snaresman choose who to protect at the beginning of the day before deliberation and voting, or does the lynching wait until he chooses who to protect? This isn't exactly clear in the game sequence part of the rules, steps 4 and 5.
The play sequence is as follows:
  1. Night: The Snaresman protects
  2. Night: The Slayers try to wield Stormbringer
  3. Night: The Tracker discovers the identity of someone he has followed.
  4. Day: The Snaresman protects
  5. Day: The forest-dwellers select an object of justice and press him beneath a slab of well-planed, carefully joined planks.

(4a) At Dawn, I'll reveal whether someone died in the night.
(4b) I'll declare a moratorium on voting and I'll call upon the Snaresman to send me his choice.
(4c) At noon (i.e., after an indeterminate time), I'll declare voting open.
(5) The madding crowd will then do its thing.

I read this a second time and still didn't see an answer to this: How do we determine the role of the person we lynch?
"Innocent" or "Slayer" will be revealed when the forest-dwellers kill someone.
would he know if he was attacked?
No. Or, more specifically: if the Snare protects himself and is attacked, he will not receive private notification that he was attacked, but will be able to deduce that he was attacked from two premises: his self-protection and the lack of a corpse.
Could that slayers actually have attacked no one?
No.
Grundbegriff

Re: Grundbegriff's Gallows: Stormbringer 2

Post by Grundbegriff »

Stormbringer: Backstory
The Liberation of Lifedrinker, Deathslaker! This brings hope I have scarcely allowed myself to feel these many years. One supposes an artifact of such splendor-- such evident magnificence and incomparable power-- would languish undiscovered in a tomb of kings. Who ever would have suspected that so consequential a being would instead lie seen but unrecognized on the shelf of a miscellany shop on the waterfront in Friendhaven? Dreadful. Dreadless.

Three sets of eyes were needed: one to notice the glistening blade; one to scrutinize, to recognize, to surmise; and finally one that prompted curious hands to grasp and feel and confirm.

A sliding thumb accidentally cut-- a seemingly small price to pay for discerning the keen, ready edge and feeling its magic, its rapture.

Now everything changes. Now comes duplicity. Now comes quenching. Stasis gives way to ecstasy.

But they must not discover, must not realize, must not think too hard, too long, too probingly.

To the Garth of Hallows, then. Far upstream of Friendhaven, none will think to ask the questions that must not be answered....
It is Nightfall.
The plan was supposed to be go into the woods, find a village, kill some loser, and fill up on gushing, overflowing life.

How is it that I always end up in the company of such idiots? How hard can it be?

So we mark some guy for the big sleep, since he's headed toward the woods up north of the village. We start following him. Genius One follows close, and the other guy middle. They're supposed to keep an eye on the target. For my part, I follow them and keep an eye on them, and that way we all stay together. All of us. Everyone.

It's not like the woods are especially dense or confusing, but somehow, at some point, these two bunch up like dead leaves in a notch, and I catch up with them.

"So where is he? Where'd he go?"

"He was right there!"

"Where? Over there?"

"No-- right there. Right in front of you!"

"So where is he now?"

"I d-don't know."

Village idiots. Just my lucky bones.... The wheel is already spinning down. We don't have forever....
It is Daybreak. No forest dweller has died in the night.
Quietly, as dusk approached, all in the Garth of Hallows-- young and old, rooted and new-- gathered around the communal bonfire to usher in the second fortnight of Maytide.

Building a fire in the lea always seemed a foolhardy prospect, since just one rivulet of flame finding its way to the edge of the wood might turn the protective bower into a fiery cage. But the elders had taught everyone well to hem the fire with large white stones and to gather close to its warmth.

Watching eyes and ready hands could tamp down any threat.

And so the fire rose high in the center of the short stout ring of rock. All around the villagers, a wall of trees filtered setting sunlight. Some sat, some meandered, as everyone sought his place near the flame.

For a while, the mumble of muted talk worked with and against the crackling of the fire to soothe every restless soul. It was the calm before the storm, and the lazy, sultry night seemed to go on timelessly as their simple ritual of community played out.

But then, without warning, a disturbance rippled through the gathering peace. One tripped over another, or one impeded another's walk, and a villager tumbled into the wall, knocking the white stones into the fire and burning his hand as he saved himself from falling into the embers.

"Hey! Watch it! What're you tryin' to do?! I almost fell in!"

While this one picked himself up, some scampered to drag the fallen stones from the fire and repair the collapsed periphery of the fire pit. Hot, white rocks tumbled here and there as clustering villagers stumbled and tripped one over one another. Confusion boiled over, and soon recriminations gave way to violence. One shoved another, and another ambled away from the laughing, snackering blaze only to fall backward and knock another toward it. Peacemakers and troublemakers collided, as an unsuspected quartet turned the people one against another. Finally, a dull crack like the splitting of a Saturmelon silenced every tongue.

There in the thick of the crowd lay
Kelric, a bloodied cube of quartz displacing a portion of his skull.

"Stand back!" cried a voice, and everyone retreated from the body. As the living lined up to consider the scene, one voice and another began to declare aloud what was obvious to all.

"What have we done?"

"Who started this?"

"Somebody tripped me!"

"No, you tripped me!"

"If you hadn't been shoving people around, I wouldn't have stepped into the pit! Look at my shoe!"

"Your shoe? Look at my hand!"

"Poor, poor Kelric."

"We have damned ourselves...."

Midmaytide should have brought blessings. Instead, the people had been impatient, uncoordinated, and far too trusting. The spilling of
innocent blood, they feared, must mark the coming of a curse. But in what form would it come?

"There is yet hope. But we must make amends!"

Every living soul returned to his home and considered what had come to pass.
It is Nightfall.
Beloved, I fear for my soul. I no longer know myself. I had wanted to tell you my dreams. Instead, I must confess to you my nightmare.

So many nights I wanted to look into your eyes and find a tender reply. When I was dreaming of you, those nights were long. When I saw you each day in the shop, time was so quick! Were you thinking of me, as I hoped and dared to suppose? Did you linger on purpose near the counter, as I did beyond it, staying much longer than your chores required? Did your glances say what I thought I heard them say, even though your words were few?

Were your hopes mine, or was I just a silly, idle fool?

Now, I dare not look into your eyes by day, and I am terrified to dream of them by night. When tomorrow comes, what will I do? If you looked back into my eyes and saw what I have done, you would despise me, and your heart would want only to destroy me.

Three men came into the shop, my love. They wanted me to come along and show them the path to the farm of their kinsman beyond the creek. I should have known better than to join them, but who ever taught me any way other than trust?

They took me in hand, and as I walked, as if poisoned, my mind grew confused and uncertain. I do not know why. We traveled into the sparse north woods. We stopped, and they gathered apart to talk one with another, conspiring in ways I didn't understand. I urged them onward toward the farm. Somehow, I was suddenly wearing the clothes of one of them, and he mine, while the other two slept. But my clothes on him looked like his, not mine. This is unclear to me.

Then everyone was awake and there was running, stumbling, running through the night. Boughs passed overhead like flashes of lightning, but the world was silent. (This is how I know this part was a dream.) Then one of the men spoke harshly to another as they suddenly halted, and I heard myself speak harshly to both. The third said nothing, and I couldn't see where he was, though I felt his presence.

I waited and waited to awaken but sunlight never came.

Then we were running again, chasing a fourth person, a stranger whose face, as much as I could see it, was somehow familiar. The sparse woods were lit by a bright moon, and I stayed back as two of them set upon the stranger. Two held him against the trunk of an ash, and somehow the third touched the stranger in a way I couldn't see and caused him to bleed. As he bled, he looked like a fountain to me.

Then.... I know these are the last of my words that you will ever hear, for how could you stand the sight or sound of me after this? I approached the stranger as those who held him beckoned, and I drank of his blood-- first only as if to taste, and then thirstily. And then I turned away in disgust. I fainted.

Do you hear me, or am I praying into silence? Am I even making sound? Or only seeming?

They must have carried me away to someplace where I might recover from whatever poison had tainted my mind. But I don't know where I am, for everything around me is darkness. The night is damp and hot and very close. I do not know whether the nightmare has ended. But I have my mind for now, and while I have myself I find that I want only to cry out to you. And so I do-- not for help, for I fear now that I am beyond help, but for forgiveness. I don't know what I have done, and what I have merely imagined doing in the throes of the nightmare. But I know I am drowning. I feel that evil is closing in.

I should not say that I love you, nor that I loved you. For if I had loved you truly, how could I have done -- or dreamt that I had done....

Please forgive me. And please don't tell. My mother would die of horror, and my father of shame. I beg you, if ever you loved me, forgive me and hide my crime. I was not myself. I am not myself. I am nothing.
It is Daybreak. Remus West has been pierced during the night and now lies in a pool of clotting blood at the foot of an Ash in the sparse north woods.
Noisily, as dusk approached, all in the Garth of Hallows-- young and old, rooted and new-- gathered around the communal bonfire to decide what to do about the gruesome slaughter that had ruined Maytide.

Some thought that Kelric's death near the bonfire was merely an unfortunate accident. Others figured it was an omen of greater ills. Now gathered around the site, these two camps waged a battle of words, each appealing to the murder of Remus West as evidence of his claims.

"I told you we're damned! We shattered Kelric, and our own wrath has returned to torment us in the night!"

"Nonsense! Remus was slaughtered by one of you, and fretting over phantoms and delusions will only prevent us from figuring out who has done this. The same hysteria that killed Kelric will end up liberating Remus West's murderer!"

"It's a curse! A curse!"

"No! There is yet hope! We must make amends!"

So the dispute continued until, at last, an eccentric elder stepped toward the fire pit and called for everyone's attention.

"Hush. Hush! I shall tell you what we must do."

Warily, the gathered villagers listened.

"We must not seek vengeance without knowledge. I will tell you what you must believe, and what you must do. This one you must kill, so that Remus will be the last victim and not the first."

Every living soul weighed these words. Each in turn looked at the old man, his ragged garments, and the stones at his feet. The rocks, still stained with Kelric's blood, nevertheless covered the breach in the fire pit's wall.

"Don't listen to him," cried a voice from the midst of the crowd. "He's deceiving us! He's controlling us! He's misleading us!"

Stirred by the reminder of Kelric's death and the fresh horror of Remus West's murder, the crowd began to turn on the old man. "Why should we listen to you! What are you trying to do? Why won't you let us decide? What do you know that we don't know?"

The elder stood in silence and offered no reply. Suddenly, moving as one like the wheels and pulleys of an engine of war, the crowd knocked him to the ground and began to dismantle the short, bloodied wall. Two came forward with a door, and soon PR_GMR was pinned to the grassy turf, his view of the sky blocked by the pressing wood. Stone after stone was piled onto the door, and villagers clamored for the opportunity to add their own weight to the burden.

The old man was frail, and after just a little effort, the hearts and hands and stones had pressed the life out of him. After a time, the noise gave way to silence and, as if some spell had broken, the people pulled away.

There in the thick of the crowd lay
PR_GMR, with blood and pulp trailing from his mouth and eyes.

"Remind me, for I don't understand," spoke one. "Why have we done this thing?"

Why indeed, the people wondered. As they considered the question, the clarity they had felt gave way to confusion. Again, they had spilled
innocent blood.

Every living soul fled to his home to search his private thoughts.
It is Nightfall.

I'm sorry I touched the sword. You told me not to touch it and I wasn't supposed to and I did. And I didn't mean to hurt the man, and I should've known the sword was dangerous because you told me, and I knocked it into him and cut him and now he's dead.

I'm really, really sorry.

Please... let me out now. Please believe me. It's dark and hot, and I don't really like it in here. I can't see anything and I can't hear anything. And-- I'm scared....
It is Daybreak. Lassr has been bifurcated during the night and his lengthwise halves now crowd the smokehouse floor.
"See what I have found! See what I have found!" The figure hastened forth from the woods, but slowed as he approached his fellow villagers in the midst of the clearing. He approached them with caution, as if fearing to do them harm. The fire already raged, though night had not yet fully fallen.

"See what I have discovered! In the forest east of the village, upright in the space among three close trees, its blade well into the earth, stood this profane weapon!"

Everyone moved closer for a better view as their fellow forest-dweller brought forth an intricate, dark longsword from beneath a stretch of canvas. He held it aloft by the hilt, and several in the crowd gasped as they squinted at the arcane engravings that ran all the way up its dirty blade.

"I believe it was with this foul weapon that Lassr was sliced in two and the smokehouse desecrated. For the imprint of some of this writing was seen in blood and bile on the body itself."

Murmurs rippled through the crowd as each considered what this claim might mean. The bearer of the sword continued. "I believe whoever slew Remus West may have used it for that evil purpose as well."

"It's the murder weapon!" cried one. "The tool of death!" shouted another.

"We must destroy it!"

"We must conserve it and study it, to learn its power!"

"No! It is cursed! We must make amends! Break the blade! Shatter the blade!"

"But how do we know this sword had anything to do with the murders?"

"What power? What are you talking about?"

"The signs! Lassr was accidentally marked with its signs! That mistake must be the slaughterer's last!"

"Who said that? Who said such a thing?"

"The blade of death must be destroyed. We must show the murderer what we think of his wretched scheme."

So unfolded the dispute, as the villagers tried to decide how wisdom would see them proceed. Eventually, they were of one mind that the sword must be destroyed. They worked out a plan as the ripe, red sun sunk heavily toward the horizon.

"How do we know the murders will stop once we destroy the sword?"

"We don't, of course. But this will no longer be the murderer's instrument of terror."

"Shouldn't we keep it locked away, so that we can bring it forth once he's caught, and accuse him with it?"

"Once he's caught, we'll press the whore's son flat with or without the blade. The blood of Remus West and Lassr cries out for vengeance!"

"But how do we break a sword?"

"Where's the smith? He'll know."

The smith stepped forward to inspect the blade, and looked doubtful. "We cannot shatter or break this. At least, not the way it is right now. We'll have to heat it up and then strike it on the anvil. Here...." The smith took the sword from its bearer, carried it toward the bonfire, and looked for acknowledgment in the eyes of his fellow villagers. Then, with an ungainly but mighty swing first high and then low, the smith drove the sword into the heart of the fire. "We'll let it cook there a while, and then shatter it once it's brittle," he explained as he stepped away.

None heard him, for every living gaze had stayed with the sword in the flame. There, in the midst of the fire, the sword was changing, melting, growing, forming. The longer the sword stood on the pyre, the more it became not blade but man. That man, alive when the transformation began but quickly consumed in the crackle of boiling fat and flaming garments, was
Bakhtosh. Everyone recognized him, but nobody spoke his name. They remembered him from his boyhood there, and were glad that he had successfully made his trade in the Haven. His recent return in the company of friends had brought gladness to the village. Now, he stood outstretched before them, dead and slowly crumbling like a ghastly, charred scarecrow.

Nobody screamed. Nobody spoke. After a time during which the horrific enchantment before them engulfed and consumed every thought, the villagers simply fled, all at once, like sparks from the fire. Scattering each to his home, every innocent barred his doors and windows as he could. But two, less innocent, sat beneath a table in their lodging and lit a candle. They had work to do.

"How could the sword be Bakhtosh? I sliced Lassr with it myself, while you and he stood by!"

"Yeah. I know."

"So?"

"And who was more eager than Bakhtosh to grab the ribcage and pull the halves apart...."

"It doesn't make any sense."

"I'm not sure what it means. Maybe nothing. Maybe something. But he cut his finger when we first left the Haven. I don't know. This much is for sure, though...." He glanced across the room at the shining, vile blade lying before the unlit hearth. "It's just you and me, now-- and that. Bakhtosh is gone, and we're not hiding it in the woods anymore. In fact, I'm not letting that thing out of my sight."
It is Nightfall.

Bastards, all of 'em. And sons of bastards as far back as they can trace 'em-- which they can't do, because they're bastards! HA!.

And I'll tell you another thing. They're fools. I use the word advisedly.

I'm a patient guy. I don't look for trouble. But when the misbegotten chumsacks crossed me-- treated me like the filth and vomit they spew every time they open their stinkpit mouths-- well. I wasn't just gonna take that lyin' down.

They don't get who they're messin' with. That's what makes 'em blind, highflyin' fools.

Treat me with some respect? We're good. Stick it in my face? Hey-- at least I know the crap I'm dealin' with and can look a man in the eye and tell him what's what. But to act like I'm not even there, to jerk me around and talk over me and just assume I got nothin' to say and that I can't think for myself and that they're so pikin' superior? And then to insult me right in front of my face and think I won't get it, or won't care?

Intolerable....

"Base"? "Base"? We'll see who's base and who's tops.

Say, how many severed heads does it take to dam a creek?

One-- but two heads are better than one! Ha! Better than one! HA!

I slay me....
It is Daybreak. Newcastle has been punctured and then viciously dismembered during the night. His remains lie scattered near the creek.

"This is the one?" The voice rose toward the rim of the Bankford Recess and nearly overflowed, but then settled back down like sinking smoke to collect at the feet of the gathered forest dwellers. They had converged in the Low Place for a trial. Greatly fearing the fire pit, site of the Sorcerous Change (as they were calling it), they had planned to gather that evening in the woods to discuss their plight. Once the prisoner was found lurking in those woods, though, the villagers feared meeting where such risk lay, and so they changed their plan. As the sun began to settle beyond the trees, they stood here and treated the matter now unexpectedly at hand.

The remote, cobble-paved sinkhole was the sacred site of an earlier people, and did not seem especially safe. However, the villagers understood how to use it, and circumstance had left them little choice.

"Yes, this is the one."

"And how did you come upon him?"

"I've already told you--"

"I would ask you to repeat your tale for the benefit of those now gathered."

"I just found him. That's all. I was walking along the creek, making my way to the Foreford Basin, and came across him huddled just like that in the long grass near the bank."

"Did you go to the creek out of idle curiosity, because of what happened there this morning?"

"No, sir. Foreford lies in the other direction. You know that."

"Yes, I know that. But I wanted everyone to hear it from your own lips. Nobody should doubt your reasons for coming forth. Now, go on."

"Go on, sir?"

"Explain what happened when you saw him."

"Well, nothing happened. At least, not exactly. I called to him, and he didn't say anything. So I approached him, for fear he was hurt, but he still didn't say anything, and he didn't move except to quiver, just like you see him. He just squatted near the earth, not lying down nor standing, and he stared like there was something to stare at. But there wasn't. His mouth moved a little bit, like he was trying to say something, so I moved closer. He didn't make any sound, and he didn't blink, and he was dirty and it looked like his eyes and lips were all dry. But...."

The hesitation of one became the eagerness of many. "But what? But what?" they clamored, until the judge waved them into silence.

"Buuuuut" he paused, waiting for their attention. "But there was fresh blood on his arm and his belly, as much as I could see, and a little bit on his thigh. And you can see for yourself that he isn't hurt except for that scab atop his shoulder there, and that isn't bleeding. So the way I figured it, nobody would be this bloody without fresh wounds unless he had been up to no good. I figured he was the murderer himself! I'll tell you, the way Newcastle was cut up, the murderer had to be a mess, and maybe this one was headed to the Basin to clean up out of the way where no one would see."

The witness looked into the eyes of his interrogator, and found the approval he was seeking. Exhaling with relief, he then looked at each of his fellow forest-dwellers in turn.

"You have done well. You may step away." The judge hesitated. "Wait-- one last thing. Did he resist your efforts to bring him here?"

"Not one bit. He stood when I told him to stand, and he followed me when I pulled at him. And the whole time, he just marched along like his mind was somewhere else."

"Thank you." The judge now moved to the lowest point of the Recess and stood as tall as he could make himself. "You have seen with your eyes and heard with your ears. What say you?"

Crying out as one, without the least hesitation, the gathered people let their will be known: "The log! The log! The log!"

And so the chanting continued as they gathered
Orinoco and spread him lengthwise at the edge of the sinkhole. Everyone ascended the sides and stood along the rim. Two retreated and then returned with an enormous trunk of gnarled hardwood in tow. Pulling the ropes just so, they wielded the log like a gigantic rolling pin and flattened their convict. His entrails spilled down into the Recess, inking some of the cobblestone crannies with a meaningless glyph of blood and intestine.

"I herewith declare that this one was a
Slayer of Innocents," proclaimed the judge. "He was enchanted, as you have seen, and this can mean only one thing. The Sorcerous Changeling was indeed Bakhtosh himself, and the cursed, doublegoing blade has not yet been destroyed.

Therefore, go. Each of you, go to your home and protect your kin. Beware this enchantment, and beware every arm-- even your own!

We shall gather here in the morning to plot our course."

With all eyes on the gory scene that had spilled forth before them, none noticed the withdrawal of one discreet swordbearer slink into the night. And none heard his mumbling, broken like a false prayer, as he wound his way home.

"We left you there in the woods-- or so I had thought-- where nobody would find you and where you couldn't threaten us. I guess you're quick and subtle-- and more clever than I, for I truly thought you were Orinoco.

He carried you because I feared to do so. I see my fear was justified-- but I also see that my fear will gain me nothing. I am still afraid, but I must also make bold.

I am not your master. I am not your equal. What would you have me do?"
It is Nightfall.

...from this one no this one somewhat complicating I have to say but I trust you are with me I take comfort four five six seven stones down and one over they cannot make me doubt you try though they might for I know forfend evil fend evil fend fend evil evil fend fend fend evil evil evil fend fend fend fend evil evil evil evil complete there so cannot slip into that trap stay alert mind alert for your comfort will no for your strong arm will be my comfort not going to come after me not after me not me what am I nothing what am I nothing at all so I should be safe safe here safe now safe for now they want someone else someone a lawbreaker someone two three four two three four three four four four three no four four three four three two four three two...
It is Daybreak. Chaosraven has been pierced and dumped into the Low Place.

"You will pay for what you have done to Remus West and Lassr and Newcastle! You will pay!"

"But I haven't done anything to them."

"You will pay indeed! Filthmonger! Vile bladebearer!" Thus went the exchange of sentiments as the people marched a bound
pr0ner toward the Bankford Recess, where they intended to work upon him the same successful combination of justice and physics that had brought Orinoco to a rightful end.

"Are you sure this is the one?" asked the judge as they led the condemned toward his doom. "Yes," came the reply. "I found him kneeling in just the same way as Orinoco."

"Idiot! I was trying to find a coin I had dropped in the loose, dry soil!"

"Shut up, liar! You were kneeling in a trance! I saw you."

"Yeah, but did you know what you were seeing?"

The argument came to a sudden close as the group arrived at their destination, for not all was as they had expected. There, in the lowest part of the Low Place, lay the bloodied corpse of Chaosraven. With the shock of so foul and profane a sight, the enraged forest-dwellers dispensed with ceremony. One and another clawed cobblestones from the receding terrain and used those to pound and pelt the accused until the stoning had beaten the life out of him.

Only when the coin fell from his shattered, defiant grip did the people recognize that, once again, they had shed
innocent blood. Those who still held stones dropped them, and everyone retreated in haste, each to his home, to weigh these transgressions.
It is Nightfall.

My love will weave a road anon
By vale and wild and hollow
To paint a patterned path upon
And beckon me to follow.

To follow where he leads and when,
To wend a while wherever,
And I shall fain a patter pen,
Professing love forever.

Sing heather holly fair below, above a higher heaven.
A cloud, an air, a kiss, a prayer, a note, a promise given.

My song to savor shall I bring
By vale and wild and hollow
Upon his road embroidery sing
Of nightingale and swallow.

Oh, heather holly fair below, above-- no no! No! No! No! NO!! Please, n-
It is Daybreak. LordMortis has been disemboweled and his intestine draped over the log of execution.

Seated in a circle not far from the relighted bonfire, the surviving forest dwellers considered their plight. Now regarding the Low Place as even more corrupted than the lea, they had returned with great trepidation to the site of the Change in case the sorcery there active might somehow enable them to discern the evildoer who lurked among them.

Each participant in the desperate ritual held a large rectangular stone taken from the firepit's barrier.

None spoke. Each studied the eyes and demeanor of his fellow villagers. For the most part, all sat still and waited for intuition to achieve what reason had failed to do.

Suddenly, shockingly, someone threw his brick toward
Silky's head. Another quickly emulated the gesture, and another. Still, nobody spoke.

Another stone landed, and another. The victim lay stoically in the grass as his life gushed forth; he waited with the others in his waning moments for some sign, some manifestation, some display of arcane power that would grant them insight into how they might rid themselves of the scourge that had depopulated their humble community.

"Damned." After a time, one spoke. None replied, but all nodded apprehensively to affirm the possibility.

The forest dwellers knew they had once more sown
innocent blood into the soil and would likely reap death before dawn. With this in mind, and thinking of little else, every living soul went home to consider whether indeed hope had abandoned them to a gruesome, inevitable end.
It is Nightfall.

Just my lucky bones. Some outfit this turned out to be!

I try to run a high class operation, but hey. What can I say? Is it my fault my partners came in on the last dogcart from Dimwitsville.....

Look-- here's how this'll go down tonight. We mark the guy, and instead of tracking him we take him down right there under cover of night. Not many people around by now. Nobody'll see.

And do me a favor. Try not to screw this up! I spend half my time cleaning up the messes you make, and the other half trying to convince myself that you're still worth my time.

So get it right. Right?
It is Daybreak. Cesare has been pierced and his body left right in the middle of the high road.

Many had lost their way and the village now suffered grievously. As the searing sun climbed in the sky, several forest dwellers gathered on the high road to consider Cesare's inglorious demise.

After a time of respectful silence, a wise man stepped forward and declared, "We have been deceived and nearly destroyed, but we are not damned. There is yet hope. For I have seen in a dream that
Mr Bubbles has fallen under the dark way of the sword. Mistakes we have made, yes, but ending his life will be no error. It is the sure path to an end of this menace."

The accused interrupted the murmuring of his comrades. "But friend--look at me! I bear no sword! No sword at all!" The wise one stepped forward and pointed an accusing finger, but said nothing in reply.

"Friends. Friends! Let's not be hasty! Much is at stake!" Mr Bubbles took a step back, and then, fearing the move would appear defensive, stepped forward toward his accuser. This time, the latter replied,"You are at stake, if I may say."

With that, the smith stepped forward and applied all the strength of his brawny hands to the throat of his prey, and with the fury of one who has lost nearly everything-- and making a great show of yanking the writhing form this way and that-- the smith choked the life away. Or so it seemed, until the transformation began. Limbs fused together, withdrew into the torso, and narrowed to straight blackish regularity. Flapping and gasping gave way to the cold, still silence. Finally, the smith stood holding downward by its hilt the same terrible, beautiful blade that each had seen in the midst of the flame just days ago.

"You see for yourself", declared the wise one, "that this one was a
Slayer of innocents."

With that, all ran toward the home of Mr Bubbles, as much a victim as a perpetrator of the sword's malevolent will. They found his strangled form before the hearth. Standing beside the corpse, the smith studied the weapon and with much hemming and weighing, he considered what to do. At last, he turned to his fellows. "I shall take this to the forge and destroy it, for no such power-- no such fierce, splendid magnificence as we find in Lifedrinker-- should ever be allowed to persist in this world by those who embrace peace, light, and life."

The others nodded assent at one another as the smith departed. He heard, dim in the distance, an utterance of disbelief that the plague was finally over. "We must make amends" said one. "Hope" whispered another.

Back at the forge, the smith carefully wrapped the dreadful, glistening edge in a flaxen fabric, for want of a proper sheath. Sure from his window's view that none had followed, the smith knelt at his hearth and slowly, deliberately introduced the sword blade-upward into the space above his flue. There, he set the hilt onto hooks that he had forged and mounted within the chimney days before for that same purpose.

"Perhaps with a study of its workmanship, I may yet reverse and put to good some of the ill its recondite craft has wrought. Just a bit of careful scrutiny, without worrying the others, and then I shall destroy it once and for all".
It is Day, and a season of mourning has begun.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Stormbringer 2: Story

Spacing studs somewhere on the starboard fluctuator nozzle array were giving way, and the compromise to ventilation was causing a thermal issue in one or more of the Monitor And Respond Circuit Cluster cabins that governed thruster granularity.

At least, that's what the Task Protocol Summary scrolling across Hama's goggles offered as a diagnosis. With subbed mininav systems from Hiroshige Harriman Enterprises, you never knew for sure until the manual assessment. Not that HHE's systems were bad, of course. In fact, nobody managed complexity better at the cybermaterial threshold. But the MARCCs were mission-critical, and the nozzles were vulnerable because of their exposure. Having a person confirm the diagnosis was routine protocol for systems that mattered.

Hama rappelled down toward the lesser nav nozzles, locking down his cable with a magnetic half-eye every third hop. After clearing the exhaust bay manifold, he paused to review the summary one more time.

Looking leftward caused the goggletext to scroll rightward, and looking rightward moved it toward the left. The more extreme the glance, the faster the motion of the text. Glancing sharply leftward, Hama rewound to the beginning of the Summary. Holding his eyes just to the right of center, he maintained a read rate that he found comfortable.

Sure of his instructions, he reached up and tapped the goggles with a heavily gloved hand. Crossing his eyes to turn off the display was also an option -- really a more convenient one -- but he always felt absurd doing it.

Suspended in cold, dark emptiness and drawing himself toward the MARCC cabin, Hama chuckled at the irony. His only light beyond the manifold poured forth from his own helmet. He felt like a miner, and yet he wasn't boring into the earth, but climbing high above it in a seemingly endless sea of negation.

Space seemed like nothing, but it wasn't nothing. It was an inconceivably vast something that swamped Hama, immersed the Hokusai, and fully engulfed everything else that Hama had experienced, or would ever experience.

"In space, we live and move and have our being" he mused.

His domain light carved a field of comprehensibility in the psuedonothing, but that was as far as "mining" went on this ship. The Hokusai was a waste transport vessel, and its primary mission was to disengage payloads of manufacturing byproduct from the top of the HHE "Skyline Two" Space Elevator, which everyone called "Enoch", and to deposit them safely at the Olympus Mons North Beta Tertia landfill.

Skyline One, the shorter, non-industrial "tourism" lift, they called "Elijah". Hama found it amusing that his own ascent was under color of the Waste Management Authority. The quest for human survival had become subtractive rather than additive, and here he was, wending his way around a hull, striving to ensure the survival of a superhuman but supersubservient machine.

As he reached for the cabin access plate, Hama thought about what would happen if his colleague in the engineering staging bay uncoupled his cable. Hama mentally checked that he remembered the fallback protocols for that circumstance. But in truth, he felt completely safe, and he found comfort in his job. It wasn't just the engineering that made the Hokusai function well. It was the bonds of human trust. Hama knew everyone on the ship, and knew they were like brothers. One for all, and all for one. Ballasteers.

Jeopardy was for the hardware. You can't civilize hardware.

Making his way into the cabin, Hama camped on at the Analytics port and got to work. Half a day spent getting into position at the far end of the hull would not go to waste. The sooner Hama finished this confirmatory diagnosis, the sooner he could make his way back to his dome in Nottingham East, on the Ag Deck in Residential. There, an interrupted Go game awaited his return.

"Atari" he muttered.
It is Night.
Snaresman: Tell me whom you will protect.
Slayer(s): Tell me whom you will pierce.
Tracker: Tell me whom you will follow.

These damned aftermarket fittings! Why must they always buy from the lowest bidder? Akhmatova Murasaki make nothing but crap, and I'm sick of dealing with it.

Look. Look at those fasteners! Distressed!

Don't they realize that paying us to maintain this--

Nevermind. What's the point? It's nuts-- that's all. It's just... insane.

Plus, if I weren't stuck doing this, maybe-- just maybe-- I could spend that time telling them a thing or two about how to make this bucket run the way it's supposed to. Not that I want you to get stuck with all this crap, of course. You know what I mean.

I know you're new, and I don't want to piss in your Nissan, but you might as well get used to doing things this way. It's not going to change anytime soon.

I need to hold this in place for the mod. Hand me that French-Epstein device over there, would you?
It is Daybreak. Orinoco has been punctured by the spring-loaded punch of a French-Epstein Device.
Snaresman: Tell me whom you will protect this day.
Ag-Deck Residents: Voting will commence on the Lido Deck at noon (as marked by me below).

Most who traversed the Ag Deck did so on foot. Some took the tatamis. A smaller number, but still quite a few, rode bicycles.

The maneuverability, efficiency, and beauty of the bicycle's design were undeniable. Providing both seating and direct control, bicycles augmented human mobility in a way that prevented congestion but permitted expression. Seeing clusters of bicycles stationed at dropoffs near Sherwood Center, Nottingham Center, and Neander Center was a comfort to pedestrians and tatamians. Everyone seemed to get along just fine, in ease and harmony, whatever his transportational preference. The sight of something classically mechanical in the midst of so much that was electromechanical reminded them they were human.

Hama rode a freewheeling unicycle.

As he coasted down the maca pathway on his way to Nottingham East, Hama took note of the familiar intricacies of the forest. A wall of trees here, a geodesic cottage there, and here a clearing where pathpounders could pause to chat, to term out, or simply to sit on a bench and soak up the sights and sounds of nature.

Technology wasn't just a matter of discovery. Hama pedaled, twisted at the waist, cruised. Technology wasn't even mainly about discovery. It was about standardization and encapsulation. Everything that made the Hokusai a profitable and socially adaptive enterprise was a result of hiding the enormous complexity of its systems behind a set of stunningly simple expectations, protocols, procedures, and interfaces. Translocate the rubbish, bundle the rubbish, elevate the rubbish, attach the rubbish, shuttle the rubbish, disengage the rubbish, polytag the rubbish. What could be simpler? And yet behind the shiny, bald processes, so much depended on so much that depended on so much! The terrospatial mappings, the compound fuel conversions--

An unexpected sight on this familiar path interrupted Hama's train of thought. He stumbled purposefully off the unicycle and ran a few steps with its momentum before stopping at a jarring scene.

Lying supine on the maca in the calm of bloodless death was his friend
tru1cy from Command Control. His bicycle had been flung into the long grass nearby.

Hama knelt for a closer look as he described the situation to the Security Voisponder through his intracom. The victim's dataport had been punched open by a French-Ep, which is normal during an augmentation or mod, but the perforation was abnormally deep, as if the plug had been forced right through the cybersocket's biopoly retainer and into the parietal skullspace. There was evidence that the French-Ep data clamps had been engaged on four of the seven nodes without prep, and then ripped from each by force and with haste.

There were no other signs of injury, but Hama's friend was clearly and irrevocably dead. His banks had been wiped, judging by the node switch override and the damage to his rig. Hama didn't understand why this would kill, rather than merely confuse. But then, judging by the punch and clamps, this was no ordinary French-Epstein device.

As Hama finished his transmission and remounted his unicycle, he registered surprise at the fact no technology yet conceived had managed to lessen the emotional toll, the sense of injustice and senselessness, brought by the criminal waste of
innocent life. As he headed for dome, Hama abandoned his earlier thoughts and focused only on which beer to raise in a toast to his fallen friend.
It is Night.

"...Drilling oil to beat Japan
But the company union don't give a damn.
That company union made a fool out of me.
The oil field workers and the NMU
Going to beat Hitler, and damn quick, too.

"Old Berlin to Tokyo
Tanks can't roll if the oil don't flow.
Canada to Mexico
They're joining up with the C.I.O.

"C.I.O. is the place for me
When this war is over, I want to--ACKGH!!"
It is Daybreak. In a maintenance corridor near the Ag Vestibule on Residential, triggercut has been found dead, with several thoracic vertebrae shattered and his cybernetic rig punched and fried.
Ag-Deck Residents: Voting will commence at noon in the jai-alai arena, as marked by me below.

"Yes, that's right. I reported it yesterday afternoon. I was wondering why I haven't been commed since then." Hama glanced at his hatch. "Well, I expected that Security would want to talk to me in person about it. Testimony-- in relation to an inquiry, you know. To help the investigation. The investigation. I--"

Hama ejected from his comfortech, made his way to the hatch in the far wall, and squinted at the integrated screen. Lillies or orchids? Lillies or orchids? "Yes, I'll hold."

One touch of a hexagonal plate in the center of the hatch sent it gliding sideways into the thicker adjacent panel. As it opened, Hama peered out into the twilight of Nottingham East. Other residents were ambling about in the distance, but the halflight made it hard to parse what they were doing. Hama glanced down at the rim garden he had planted around his dome's leftward arc. "Orchids or-- yes, I'm here. No security incident? But I'm the one who reported it. An execution? What do you mean, 'an execution'? But I thought--"

Hama stepped out onto the maca and peered into the distance. A small crowd was forming.

"No, I am not a member of the Nottingham East Anomalous Behavior Containment Committee. I didn't even know we had an 'Anomalous Behavior Containment Committee'. What--" A synthetic vocal clarification of the rationale for ABCCs came next, but Hama was accustomed to autoblocking SVCs and knew how to retrieve them. He ignored this one, since he knew from the committee's name what sort of thing the SVC was likely to say. Autoblocking defs were high-level, consumer-considerate, and useless. For the moment, Hama was more interested in figuring out what was happening down the path. After turning back to seal his dome, he started walking.

"So you say it was not a murder but an execution, and that this ABC committee adjudicates crime? But I knew the victim. Sorry-- the 'objective'. He was no criminal. He had Command Clearance. He had worked here longer than just about anyone.... Yes, I see. Murders? Anomalous behaviors. Fine. Who was it, and why weren't people commed about it? Two?" As the remote gathering grew larger in his field of vision, Hama's walk became a trot.

"Orinoco, NEgd10. And triggercut, NEgd16. Punched, you say? I'll bet you mean epped. I see. Thank you. Yes, I did know them.... No, I don't think I'll need to block out time in Conceptual Hygiene Holistics. No, no. Thank you. Yes. Thank you." He offed his Voisponder.

Hama arrived just in time to see his neighbor from Engineering wrestle
Austin to the ground and pin him down. "What are you doing to him!" shouted Hama, as he ran toward the gathering. "STOP!" The participants moved to block Hama's access.

"This execution proceeds by order of the Nottingham East Anomalous Behavior Containment Committee. This isn't your business." In response to this warning, Hama slowed his pace and then halted. Helpless to challenge the group, and realizing that it was pointless to report the incident since it was apparently authorized, he stood by and watched with horror and fascination.

Hama wasn't in a position to say that they were 'wrong' in any meaningful sense. Sure, he hadn't been aware that the Hokusai had a criminal justice clutch with cells in the Residential sectors. But Hama was a systems diagnostician. He realized that for all he knew, there was much more here than met the eye.

Encapsulation. Easy living. Efficient containment. Problem gone. Hama had assumed that there simply wasn't much crime. The idea that an execution squad would be needed on a mundane industrial vessel, much less planned and actually implemented, came as something of a shock. But the more he pondered the contingency-oriented, anticipatory approach that underlay this entire enterprise, the more it all made sense.

Hama watched as his friend in the Engineering jumpsuit rolled Austin's head to one side and applied the punch end of an oversized French-Epstein device to Austin's dataport. The sound of the punch seemed surprisingly forceful. Austin winced, sucked in his breath, and then, after a pause, let out a single interrupted yelp. "Semihuman" thought Hama. "The jumpsuit, the uniform. Lillies or orchids...."

Reversing the French-Ep with a dexterous twirl, the executioner flipped back several socket retainers and then clamped the device's clawnest into Austin's rig. For nearly a hundred seconds, everyone was still and silent. Then the electro-chemical termination began. Hama hadn't seen a French-Ep used this way before-- didn't even know it was possible -- and was rattled by the sight of an officially sanctioned execution.

Suddenly, the Engineer ripped away the French-Ep, apparently to mangle the retaining wires on the contact nodes. As everyone made his way slowly back dome, Hama couldn't shake the impression that he had just witnessed the antiseptic, bureaucratized slaughter of an
innocent friend.
It is Night.

Here's what I don't understand. I opened the door and belted out a hearty 'Good Morning' but it was still dark. No one was out. I figured someone has been messing with my clock again. Again? But who would do that? Again? I shut the door and went back to bed and stared at the ceiling and waited for morning.

The pain is indescribable. It never goes away....

I was outside. I was outside. I talked to them. What did they miss? How should they proceed? Why are you asking me? That's not an innocent thing to do. Seems if you cared you'd take your time in trying to find the right person....

I go to finish up and stay all day. Must finish before nightfall. Go to the smokehouse. Finish up. Almost nightfall. I don't expect to see him there. "You're a butcher?" I tease. Right now, I cannot see any reason for him to lie. "I knew I'd have to hang these differently. All pieces will not necessarily fall as they should. Check back in tonight and find this mess. Heh." When I--

I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

I've thought about this in bed and pretty much all day and I can't think of a reason. Just doesn't make sense. He raised a blade against me. Confusion. Confusion. Everyone could lay out their theories. Why? Why? No one else seemed to care enough to respond. Why?

I don't know why. I stare at the ceiling and wait for morning. The pain is indescribable.... Someone had been messing with my clock again.

You just asked what was the idea, a possibility that I've kept in the back of my mind. If I don't hear from anyone... possible but hopefully not the case.

"You are barking up the wrong tree with me" I tell him. "We've seen clever deceptions work" I tell him, "and not so clever deceptions that have worked anyhow." Why are you doing this? Why me? Why?

No one else seemed to care enough to respond.

"I understand your plan", I assure him. "I'm just not sold that it would be any better." He never looks away. He never says a word. He turns the blade sideways and it catches moonlight. I see pictures on it, but they don't make sense.

"You don't want to do that. You found that, right? Poking around, right? Just fleshing out thoughts.... You're really reaching here and it makes me suspicious. Let's go back to the huts for now. I'll dissect this stuff tonight when I get back." He ignores my plea, won't listen to reason. He says nothing.

The blade rises high and comes screaming toward the top of my head and first I see it and then I don't see it. I try to scream, but I don't hear my own shouting. I try to take a deep breath, but can't suck the air into my lungs. I can no longer see the huts in the distance. I can't smell the smokehouse. I can't see... and I can't move.

I'll wait and see if anyone comes out.

Finally, he breaks his silence. "I am Lifedrinker! Deathslaker!" he says, and I hear a thud, and another, and a scraping, and a thud, and cold. Then all sound fades away except for my thoughts.

You are Lifedrinker! That's what I was implying but didn't want to say it. Now you've brought it out into the open. Have to decide what to do. Have to decide what to do.

The pain is indescribable.

I'll wait. I can't see. I can't-- I'll wait. Right now this is the best info we have to go on. He deserves to be lynched. I WILL NOT take the chance of killing. That would be very irresponsible-- just adds another layer of guess work.

I've said all I can say and I'm not going to keep repeating it.

Why is it so dark? I stare at the darkness and wait for morning. I-- when will they come? When will they come? When will they come?
It is Daybreak. Newcastle's body has been discovered in the Ag Vestibule near GravShaft East. He has been strangled and French-Epped.
Ag-Deck Residents: Voting will commence at noon in the Prefontaine Commons

"I'd like to report an equipment malfunction. Individual. Official and non-official. Voisponder interference." Hama paced the length of the hall that connected his antechamber to his bunk. "I'll hold." He paced back. Hama had been pacing for so long that he had lost track of time. An hour? Half a day?

"Thank you. Voisponder malfunction, yes.... Actually, I'm afraid it won't be convenient for me to stop by a kioscanner today. I'll need a technician to stop by and perform the scan." Hama reversed course and continued pacing. "Well, you see..." he hesitated. "Actually, I've been placed in domestic segregation. Apparently, I wandered into an ABCC scene, and this was interpreted as interference.... That's right-- I can't leave dome.... No, that's not the interference I wish to report.... Yes, I see what you mean. No, it's a bioelectrical interference in my Voisponder. Etiology unknown. Right." He came to a halt and sighed. "Yes, I'll hold."

Encapsulation. Isolate what changes. "Yes, I'm here. It's a... wait... it's a Murasaki United Temporomandibular... 242b, revision, uh... 14106. Sure. Holding...."

Hama walked across the antechamber and tried to plate the hatch. It didn't open. For a moment, the word "SEALED" appeared on its screen in place of the therapedia loop.

"Back? Fine. The problem is that I'm hearing things.... Yes, I think so, too. But seriously-- I seem to be receiving simplex transmissions from an archival source. Old omnicasts or some-- Sorry? No, they're voices. Songs, journal entries, logs, poetry. Mostly one side of a conversation without the other, I think.... No, never a response of any sort. More like an omnicast, as I said. Yes, I'll hold."

Hama slumped into a recliner. "Thank you. No, nothing has changed.... Intermittent. I haven't been upgraded. I'm locked into this revision because of my labor assignment." Hama lay back and closed his eyes. "Anytime would be fine. I'm not going anywhere."

Hama looked at the ceiling for a moment and then sat up again. "The other interference? The ABCC thing? Sure, I don't mind. No, not at all. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and happened to witness the authorized execution of a resident, a fluidics op named
pr0ner. Turned out he was innocent of whatever they thought he had done."

He chuckled. "Yes, you heard me right.... That's for sure. But let me make clear that I'm not saying my confinement is a cover-up. The provisional, precautionary status of my confinement makes good sense, given that they had the wrong guy and I happened to be loitering nearby. No. Yeah, odd is right...." Hama stood and began to pace again. "I didn't know about the residential security protocols either...."
It is Night.

I want you to understand how very much we have appreciated your work here. In particular, you should take great pride in the time you have invested in training the next generation of maintenance engineers. Nobody knows the shafts and corridors of this vessel better than you. Your fault analysis manual will remain a touchstone in the diagnosis of Akhmatova Murasaki retrofittings. We trust that you will look with satisfaction on what you have accomplished, just as we do.

Now, for the somewhat delicate matter of-- Well, your communications with my office indicate your concern that you're being removed from your position as a disciplinary measure. In behalf of the entire analytics management tier, I want to give you our personal reassurance that nothing could be further from the truth! Early retirement should be regarded not as a disciplinary measure, but as an opportunity. There must be things you've dreamt of doing, places you'd like to see.... No? Certainly the chance to be with family.... No? I See. This ship, eh? Well.

So in all events...uhm... a blank tablet can be a good thing! Life is what you make of it, eh? So please accept our heartfelt congratulations on your entry into this next phase of your life.

As a token of our sentiments, credit for intercontinental travel to a destination of your choice will be delivered through your, uh, interface when you have your proprietary arts erasure on the way out. Not bad, eh Perkins? Sorry-- Parker! Yes, yes. Slip of the tongue. Very well, then.

Uh, please leave your equipment and tools with Stonebridge there. He'll provide deaccession codes for you....

A what? A French-Epstein device? No, I don't. I can't say I've ever seen one.... A tool of the trade, so to speak? Well...I suppose I have a minute if you'd like to show me before you hand it in. You're the master, right?

So, what does this thing do?
It is Daybreak. Nottingham East is now under lockdown. The punched corpse of Bakhtosh has been found dead among the bicycles clamped at Nottingham Center.
Ag-Deck Residents: Voting will commence at noon in the Jai-Alai arena, as marked by me below.

...what would happen if a colleague in the engineering staging bay uncoupled the cable?

Hama woke with a start, sat up abruptly in his comfortech, and started coughing. It took time to calm his pounding heart and to steady his breathing, but time was something he had in abundance. The Ag Deck was still in security lockdown, and he hadn't left his dome in hours that might be better measured in days.

Onning the lights with a barked command, Hama stood and paced off the sluggishness. He must've been deep and dreaming....

Walking from hatch to bunk, skin to core, he remembered why he had worked so long into the seemingly endless night. "Lillies" he muttered.

Taking a camp lamp from the hub shelf, Hama sat at a table where he had been taking notes the night before. Planting the tall, thin, flexible lamp to one side, he aimed its face and turned the switch. The first click spilled calm white light onto the table. The second replaced that light with the projected image of a keyboard and showzone. Tapping the tabletop keys, he brought the showzone to life:

Lexical Integration Lattice for Linguistic and Isolinguistic Emission Syntheses

Hama had figured from the spelling of "Lillies" that it must be an acronym, and had passed the early hours of lockdown figuring out what it might mean. Discovering the criminal justice cell, witnessing the execution, and being placed on residential segregation had been disconcerting. More troubling, though, was the intermittent transmission of archival signals to his Voisponder, and Hama was determined to get to the bottom of that, even if he couldn't do anything about the rest of his troubles.

He didn't like being manipulated, and couldn't dislodge the sense that those conversations and excerpts were being sent to him experimentally or as some test of will. Since lockdown, he had assuaged his wounded dignity the way he always handled personal distress: by flexing his brain and pursuing an even deeper understanding of the systems governing the offense.

He knew enough about conventions on the Hokusai to guess correctly that LILLIES was a semantic system. After a few false starts the prior night, he had identified the right contechnical substratum and had begun his analysis.

After long, untallied hours -- probably well into the morning -- Hama must've made his way from the table to the comfortech. Now, rested and reoriented, he turned his attention back to his LILLIES assessment.

Projected onto the left sector of the tabletop showzone was Hama's partial transcript of one of the vocal signals that had been interfering with his Voisponder. He had tapped it the prior night, and was skilled enough at tappistry to feel confident that he had captured most of the signal.

To the right, the lamp projected the same textual image with hypertextual links. As Hama pursued those links by touching the tabletop, an overlay on the static lefthand version highlighted his navigational point of origin in the untagged transcript.

"Static and dynamic" he mused. "Dynamic and static, and-- who or what is 'Lassr'?" He studied the showzone.

LILLIES wrote:
Here's what I don't understand. I opened the door and belted out a hearty 'Good Morning' but it was still dark. No one was out. I figured someone has been messing with my clock again. Again? But who would do that? Again? I shut the door and went back to bed and stared at the ceiling and waited for morning.

The pain is indescribable. It never goes away....

I was outside. I was outside. I talked to them. What did they miss? How should they proceed? Why are you asking me? That's not an innocent thing to do. Seems if you cared you'd take your time in trying to find the right person....

I go to finish up and stay all day. Must finish before nightfall. Go to the smokehouse. Finish up. Almost nightfall. I don't expect to see him there. "You're a butcher?" I tease. Right now, I cannot see any reason for him to lie. "I knew I'd have to hang these differently. All pieces will not necessarily fall as they should. Check back in tonight and find this mess. Heh." When I--

I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

I've thought about this in bed and pretty much all day and I can't think of a reason. Just doesn't make sense. He raised a blade against me. Confusion. Confusion. Everyone could lay out their theories. Why? Why? No one else seemed to care enough to respond. Why?

I don't know why. I stare at the ceiling and wait for morning. The pain is indescribable.... Someone had been messing with my clock again.

You just asked what was the idea, a possibility that I've kept in the back of my mind. If I don't hear from anyone... possible but hopefully not the case.

"You are barking up the wrong tree with me" I tell him. "We've seen clever deceptions work" I tell him, "and not so clever deceptions that have worked anyhow." Why are you doing this? Why me? Why?

No one else seemed to care enough to respond.

"I understand your plan", I assure him. "I'm just not sold that it would be any better." He never looks away. He never says a word. He turns the blade sideways and it catches moonlight. I see pictures on it, but they don't make sense.

"You don't want to do that. You found that, right? Poking around, right? Just fleshing out thoughts.... You're really reaching here and it makes me suspicious. Let's go back to the huts for now. I'll dissect this stuff tonight when I get back." He ignores my plea, won't listen to reason. He says nothing.

The blade rises high and comes screaming toward the top of my head and first I see it and then I don't see it. I try to scream, but I don't hear my own shouting. I try to take a deep breath, but can't suck the air into my lungs. I can no longer see the huts in the distance. I can't smell the smokehouse. I can't see... and I can't move.

I'll wait and see if anyone comes out.

Finally, he breaks his silence. "I am Lifedrinker! Deathslaker!" he says, and I hear a thud, and another, and a scraping, and a thud, and cold. Then all sound fades away except for my thoughts.

You are Lifedrinker! That's what I was implying but didn't want to say it. Now you've brought it out into the open. Have to decide what to do. Have to decide what to do.

The pain is indescribable.

I'll wait. I can't see. I can't-- I'll wait. Right now this is the best info we have to go on. He deserves to be lynched. I WILL NOT take the chance of killing. That would be very irresponsible-- just adds another layer of guess work.

I've said all I can say and I'm not going to keep repeating it.

Why is it so dark? I stare at the darkness and wait for morning. I-- when will they come? When will they come? When will they come?
Hama was puzzled. He hadn't performed this analysis of his transcript; he had discovered it already extant in LILLIES. Someone else had performed the analysis, and had discovered relationships between this signal and some other source. It was probably an archival source, but where? What was it?

Hama found unknown unknowns exasperating. "Can't catch a fish when you know neither fish nor catching" he mumbled, and thought about the tatamian commuters. "Teach a man to follow, and he'll get to work. Teach a man to lead, and what will he do?"

This couldn't be an accident. Someone else on the Hokusai was just as interested in figuring out these Voisponder signals as he was, and that meant he wasn't the only one receiving them. Therefore, they weren't intended as an experiment on him nor as an attempt to intimidate him. Again, he was just a bystander on the wrong wavelength at the wrong time.

Who would detect these? Who would analyze them? Who would find them significant?

LILLIES was a non-secure system. The Voisponder malfunction had begun at about the same time as the murders and executions.

"The ABCC?" whispered Hama. "Investigation. Flower of death...."

Hama decided to transcribe as many of the transmissions as he could make out, and to check them in LILLIES.
It is noon. The Jai-alai arena is inaccessible. Voting will proceed by Voispondence during HoloCon, which begins now.

"Mr. Rahatekar?"

"Yes", replied Hama. "I'm here".

"We know you've been tracking our work in LILLIES."

"Who is this? My intracom brands you 'Hydroponic Arboreal Engineering'."

"I'm your downpath neighbor. First NEgd from the bend."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm with the Nottingham East ABCC."

"I didn't know that."

"You've been busy during lockdown, Hama."

"Can't sleep all the time...."

"Time is critical, so let me get right to the point. You're a diagnostician. We need you."

"I'm sorry?"

"We need you. We've mapped active audiosensory signals onto archival materials, as you've seen. But interpreting the metasemantic domain is another matter. You have specialized domain knowledge."

"I'm a bit unclear about this. Are you asking for my help, or are you requisitioning my labor?"

"Your hatch is clear. You're temporarily exempt from lockdown. Come to the Vestibule near GravShaft East. Do not take a tatami. They're bioelectrically sensitive, and while the audiovisual monitors will register your presence, the tactile and olfactory systems have been overridden to facilitate your passage."

"But--"

"Come now."

"Why the urgency? If you're expecting me to deviate from protocol, the least--"

"NEgd13,
Remus West, has been executed on strong suspicion of duplicity."

"He should've been under lockdown. Why execute him?"

"We were instructed to circumvene protocol. Howver, subsequent forensic assessment suggests he was
innocent. Some of us now suspect that our clutch has been compromised, Mr. Rahatekar. For some of us, the ABCC's integrity is in doubt. Still, some of us believe that what knowledge we do possess may offer our only hope for preventing unmanageable disaster. That is why we need you. We need you to tell us everything you know about the French-Epstein device and its capabilities."

"'Some of us'? Fine. I'll be there. Soon." Hama offed his system, grabbed his unicycle by its seat, and touched the hatch. He hesitated, unsure of how he felt about the fact that it had indeed been unsealed.

"Unmanageable disaster? Semi-human...."
It is Night.

When I was dreaming of you, those nights were long. When I saw you each day in the shop, time was so quick! Were you thinking of me, as I hoped and dared to suppose? Did you linger on purpose near the counter, as I did beyond it, staying much longer than your chores required? Did your glances say what I thought I heard them say, even though your words were few?

Were your hopes mine, or was I just a silly, idle fool?

Now, I dare not look into your eyes by day, and I am terrified to dream of them by night. When tomorrow comes, what will I do? If you looked back into my eyes and saw what I have done, you would despise me, and your heart would want only to destroy me.
It is Daybreak. Nottingham East remains under peripheral lockdown, but all domes have been fully retracted to expose every domestic interior to the path-punctuated forest environment.

The garotted, punched corpse of
Kraegor lies at a tatamian roundabout.
Ag-Deck Residents: Voting will commence at noon near the roundabout.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

in hopefully I get more than one day this time. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

bah, I would Never, be caught stealing chickens from a....
:D
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Count me in. I prefer the non PM game.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

in
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Grundbegriff wrote: To pre-register, indicate your interest below.
Do we get a special in game item if we pre-order?
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

IN before the lock
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote: To pre-register, indicate your interest below.
Do we get a special in game item if we pre-order?
How about a copy of Spoon River Anthology? :D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What do you guys think about a rule where only the bad guys got to PM each other (and PM even during the day)? I think that might even things out for them a bit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grundbegriff wrote:How about a copy of Spoon River Anthology? :D
If it's a silver spoon then you could put it in a Tiffany's box.
Spoon River, ceraeal and milk smile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters left in the white sea.
There's not a lot of crunch left for me.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my Luck Charms friend,
Spoon River and me
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:What do you guys think about a rule where only the bad guys got to PM each other (and PM even during the day)? I think that might even things out for them a bit.
Actually that's a pretty standard ability for the bad guys in no-PM games.

Their 2 powers: PM each other like Masons, and to Kill a Player at Night.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Chaosraven wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:What do you guys think about a rule where only the bad guys got to PM each other (and PM even during the day)? I think that might even things out for them a bit.
Actually that's a pretty standard ability for the bad guys in no-PM games.

Really? In all the ones I've played, the bad guys can only PM at night, not during the day.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I might as well join since there are no other games going on at the moment.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:Actually that's a pretty standard ability for the bad guys in no-PM games.
Really? In all the ones I've played, the bad guys can only PM at night, not during the day.
True. Depends on the level of restriction on the variant.
"Where are you off to?"

Silky

Post by Silky »

Going to sit this one out so hopefully you guys get some new blood.
Mr. Flibble says: Game Over boys!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Silky wrote:Going to sit this one out so hopefully you guys get some new blood.
SLAYER! SLAYER!
Silky

Post by Silky »

:ninja:
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

Hmm - do I have time for two games at the same time??

Actually - I think I do now :evil:

Count me IN.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Orinoco wrote:Hmm - do I have time for two games at the same time??

Actually - I think I do now :evil:

Count me IN.
Ha ha killer boy. :wink:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I guess I'll try a non-pm game if there's room.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Chaosraven wrote:Actually that's a pretty standard ability for the bad guys in no-PM games.
Correct. By "No-PM", I mean that good guys cannot form private alliances that leave other good guys in the dark and concentrate all the fun in just a few hands.

Bad Guys can always PM at night in these Standard games, and can often PM by day, as well. I'm inclined to allow the Bad Guys (and they alone) to PM whenever they want, just because I've observed that it's generally logistically difficult for them to conspire during "game night". However, I'm also fine with only allowing them to PM during "night".

What do you think? Let's see whether there's a consensus about how much (and when) Bad Guys should be allowed to PM.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Based on Possible Conflicting Schedules I am inclined to allow Bad Guys to PM unrestricted.
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:I'm inclined to allow the Bad Guys (and they alone) to PM whenever they want, just because I've observed that it's generally logistically difficult for them to conspire during "game night". However, I'm also fine with only allowing them to PM during "night".
+1
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

You prefer the former and are ok with the latter as well?
"Where are you off to?"

Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:I'm inclined to allow the Bad Guys (and they alone) to PM whenever they want, just because I've observed that it's generally logistically difficult for them to conspire during "game night". However, I'm also fine with only allowing them to PM during "night".
+1
+2
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:You prefer the former and are ok with the latter as well?
exactly. I thought it was clear. My fault.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Gah, now this is the type of game I'd like to play but I'm going to be gone June 3-7th.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

You'll be dead by then anyway :twisted:
"Where are you off to?"

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

In, if there is still room.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

While I am sitting this one out, It would seem to me that two village roles and no slayer subterfuge roles already handicaps against the slayers. They ought to have PMs during the day and it will still be hard for them.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

allowing the slayers to Pm during the day is perfectly fine with me. Agreed on the logistical coordination aspect that Grund observed.
Silky

Post by Silky »

The snare seems to me to be an overpowered position at least in the PM game. Perhaps the lack of PM's will even that out some.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Silky wrote:The snare seems to me to be an overpowered position at least in the PM game. Perhaps the lack of PM's will even that out some.
Do you mean on account of the protect-by-day and protect-by-night skill?

FWIW, from where I'm sitting wrt the Stormbringer game, I haven't observed it to be overpowered.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In!
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Silky wrote:The snare seems to me to be an overpowered position at least in the PM game. Perhaps the lack of PM's will even that out some.

FWIW, from where I'm sitting wrt the Stormbringer game, I haven't observed it to be overpowered.
I wouldn't say overpowered so much as I would say provides a sizable balance shift. Just the fact that he can protect himself every other day. Perhaps at day or perhaps at night ought to be a fairly big statistical shift.

It was huge in our current game because of the choice to nail remus on the first night allowing him to be a beacon.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:

I wouldn't say overpowered so much as I would say provides a sizable balance shift. Just the fact that he can protect himself every other day. Perhaps at day or perhaps at night ought to be a fairly big statistical shift.

It was huge in our current game because of the choice to nail remus on the first night allowing him to be a beacon.
Only when combined with the ability to PM me. I don't see a protector shouting in thread "Hey Remus, I'm the guy what saved you, trust me in the future." since that future would include him dying very soon thereafter. I do not think the day protection really adds, in fact I think it subtracts. All it does is tell the bad guys "hey, go ahead and kill this dude tonight, the whole village knows he is innocent due to my protection and I can not keep you away from him tonight."
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

I'll play.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Bump. More sign-ups? More discussion?