5.1 Speaker Setup?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

leo8877

5.1 Speaker Setup?

Post by leo8877 »

Hey all, I just recently purchased the Logitech X-530 5.1 speaker set. I am also using an Audigy 2 ZS. I got everything setup and have been testing out games and other audio sources.

I have noticed in games that the center channel is really loaded. I came from a 4.1 speaker setup, so I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for an even disribution between center and the two fronts, but it seems that is not the case. Does anyone else with this setup notice that?

When I listen to an MP3, the center is not used and the fronts and rears are. That's ok with me for music. DVDs seems to use all the channels, so I'm ok with that. It's just games that are killing me.

How do all of you with 5.1 speaker systems set them up?

Do you have a special calibration tool?

Also, what do all of you set for sub volume with that knob on the sub itself? I never know what to put this at and what to set the audigy setting for bass to.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I just about always have this problem (certain speakers not working) whenever I move my computer. The answer is not intuitive and I usually have to go to the web site to get the proper hook up. But typical it is a question of:

1) Not putting the plugs in the proper socket (computer)
2) Not putting the plugs in the proper socket (sub woofer)
3) And turning off digital sound. (unless you have digital speakers)

good luck, it usually takes me a long time to get up and running.
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

I have verified that all plugs are correct. The sounds comes out of the correct speaker, it's just a matter of there being too much mix in the center channel. It's basically all center, so where I was used to having stereo sounds, it now feels like mono because all my audio in games basically comes from the center channel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like its your software for your sound card. I use Creative and it comes with a speaker setup where i choose what Im using and it sets it up correctly. Also may try the software and see if you can use a balance/fade setting.
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

I tinkered in there a little bit last night Daehawk, but I could not find something that made it so the center and fronts were basically combined. Have you seen something like that?
RWConspiracy

Post by RWConspiracy »

Aside from setting the speakers to 5.1 in the creative control panel, I believe the Audigy 2 ZS comes with a more complicated speaker calibration tool. You might want to try that.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

RWConspiracy wrote:Aside from setting the speakers to 5.1 in the creative control panel, I believe the Audigy 2 ZS comes with a more complicated speaker calibration tool. You might want to try that.
It does indeed. In fact, one of the tests during the calibration has you adjust the center level until it equals the fronts...but can't you turn down the center channel on the Logis?
setaside

Post by setaside »

Sorry I missed this earlier. Since this is more of a hardware related topic, I'm going to send it on over to General Computing. 3..2..1..
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

Misguided wrote:
RWConspiracy wrote:Aside from setting the speakers to 5.1 in the creative control panel, I believe the Audigy 2 ZS comes with a more complicated speaker calibration tool. You might want to try that.
It does indeed. In fact, one of the tests during the calibration has you adjust the center level until it equals the fronts...but can't you turn down the center channel on the Logis?
Well the problem is if I turn down the center channel, then I'll lose sound completely. The issue for me is that the center channel gets too much of the mix. I wanted the center to be a mix of the fronts. If I turn down the center, then I lose forward sound altogether.

Does no one else have 5.1 speakers and notice this?
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Have you told windows that you are using 5.1?
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

Misguided wrote:Have you told windows that you are using 5.1?
Yes. Although I think I may just tell it I have quadrophonic speakers, as I think that sounds better.
Atheist

Post by Atheist »

I got the Creative Inspire 5.1 two years ago.. and I'm still loving the quality of the sound I get out of it. Easly worth the $2xx I paid for it.

:)

Aside from your speaker issues, how is the sound quality/volume/bass response, etc.?
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

Well the sounds quality is great. I just am having trouble being able to configure it the right way, directionaly shall we say.

The bass is crazy for the price I paid. This cost me $70 and the bass/satellite sound is leaps and bounds above my Creative FPS2000 speakers. (FP2000 maybe?)

I just am having to tweak them differently to get the right sound.

One thing that I noticed though, is that it appears to be based on the games mix. For example, I loaded HL2 last night and the center is just how I want it, a mix of right and left.

I also turned down the master sound level to 75% and adjusted bass and treble from there and I have it very close to how I'd like it.