What shall I play next?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

What game should Mr. Hawk play next?

Battlezone II
4%
Descent III
9%
Freedom Force
23%
Aliens Vs. Predator 2: Primal Hunt expansion
2%
Starfleet Command 3
No votes
Warzone 2100
9%
Startopia
15%
The Longest Journey
23%
The Monkey Island series (from the beginning)
15%

Total votes: 47

Blackhawk

What shall I play next?

Post by Blackhawk »

/edit - Forget Freedom Force. I forgot it can't be run on an updated PC.

I have just finished off SpellForce, Neverwinter Nights, and NWN Shadows of Undrentide, as well as putting in lots of hours on Wizardry 8 and Morrowind. I've been having a blast, but I am getting a bit burned out on the fantasy setting. I need to give myself a break from it. I am playing Icewind Dale right now, and plan to stick with it.

I'm not really in the mood for a modern military game, either, having finished Hidden & Dangerous 2: Sabre Squadron recently, as well as lots of time with Joint Operations. I'm also leaning away from RPGs.

I want something light and fun - I'm not interested in numbing difficulty and frustration right now. I've gone through my collection and come up with some options for games I've either never gotten around to, or have never finished. Since I've drawn a blank this time, I thought I'd put it to a vote.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I never got around to Startopia either, so that's where my vote went. Poor Startopia. One of the few games I'm keeping that I've never given more than an hour or so too.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I hear Starfleet Command is fetching a pretty penny on eBay.
JSL

Post by JSL »

The Longest Journey! Great game, well worth your time.
warning

Post by warning »

Jeffrey LaMarche wrote:The Longest Journey! Great game, well worth your time.
Yup.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Light and fun? Sounds like Freedom Force to me.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Bad Demographic wrote:Light and fun? Sounds like Freedom Force to me.
Yup. I agree. I think I finished it in 2 weeks of casual playing.

BUT with that, I think there's a problem in getting it to run with WinXP SP2.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:Light and fun? Sounds like Freedom Force to me.
Yup. I agree. I think I finished it in 2 weeks of casual playing.

BUT with that, I think there's a problem in getting it to run with WinXP SP2.
Yeah, I just remembered that. Checking around shows that Irrational promised a patch last August, but has yet to deliver. Oh, well. Cross that game off the list.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

You should actually try Freedom Force. Apparently the SP2 breakage isn't quite universal. I've seen some success reported with disabling DEP or forcing compatibility mode. I'll have to try it myself and see what happens.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ChrisGwinn wrote:You should actually try Freedom Force. Apparently the SP2 breakage isn't quite universal. I've seen some success reported with disabling DEP or forcing compatibility mode. I'll have to try it myself and see what happens.

At what point does the error occur? What is its nature?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:You should actually try Freedom Force. Apparently the SP2 breakage isn't quite universal. I've seen some success reported with disabling DEP or forcing compatibility mode. I'll have to try it myself and see what happens.

At what point does the error occur? What is its nature?
IIRC, the problem isn't the game, it's the install that craps out. I'll see if I can dig up linkage.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought there was some type of workaround that worked for some people...but apparently not. The only thing I did find is this quote:
Actually, there's a chance that the SP2 patch for FF1 may be out before FFvt3R hits store shelves. We can't start work on the patch until we've gone gold, but there's a lag (for physical copying and the like) of at least several weeks between 'gold' and 'on the shelves'. NO PROMISES, but I think there's a decent chance that the patch will make it out in February."
From here. Note that there are also people on that forum that was able to get FF 1.0 running under SP2, so I guess it's a crap-shoot.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Humph. It may be irrelevant - I can't find my FF disk, and TLJ gives me an install error. This doesn't seem to be turning out to be a good gaming day for me. :x
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Warzone is really cool game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, nothing seems to be working for TLJ. The launcher tells me that 'The CD ROM is busy', even when I have copied all the files onto my desktop for the install. I've installed and played off of these disks before, so I have no idea why it is doing this. I'm going to try and have Alcohol copy the CD and run it with Daemon Tools and see if that solves it. If not, I'll just have to cross that one off, too.
JSL

Post by JSL »

Since it isn't on your list, I'll have to say you should play Pong. I think that should run just fine for you. :wink:
driver

Post by driver »

I think there are two executables for TLJ, and one works for newer systems? It's been a while, but maybe you can google up the answer,
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

First, I'd suggest Freedom Force. But if it won't work, Battlezone II. Just a great combination of stratgey/action. I've been meaning to try Descent III with a modern video card -- I have the feeling that Descent 3 really didn't take off because of the hardware requirements required to run 2 engines (one indoor, one outdoor).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, I have to cross Descent 3 off the list, too. Absolutely nothing I have tried over the past two hours has gotten me past the first mission briefing without a CTD.

I have installed (or intended to install) four games today. Of those four, one worked. Stoopid PC. :x
CSL

Post by CSL »

Warzone 2100! Very fun RTS.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Longest Journey is your best bet especially since you want a break from the norm and a good adventure game is just the medicine. My reccomendation is download a walk through and then when ever you get stuck, look up the answer. Hey, you did say you wanted something light and fun.

Forgot to add, the game starts a little slow. Not in the very beginning but once you get used to everything. But it does pick up and the mid and end game zoom right by. Syberia 1 is also another game you might wannna check out.
Lord Percy

Post by Lord Percy »

I voted for Warzone 2100. I thought it was a great game if you used the cheat to turn off that stupid timer. Gives you the freedom to turtle and play with your designs if you want.
McCrank

Post by McCrank »

Monkey Islands must be played before you die.... simple as that. Every other game on that list is optional.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Monkey Island! Those games but the fun in funny.

Try this for Freedom Force and XP SP2.
Elenkis

Post by Elenkis »

Play Startopia, then be sad that the developer no longer exists to make more great games :(
www.thief-thecircle.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!