Checking Interest in Forum Game Variant Idea

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Austin

Checking Interest in Forum Game Variant Idea

Post by Austin »

I was PM'ing with Grund a bit about hosting a forum game with him. With him to check balance before the game. In this game everyone would be special on some level. Not everyone will necessarily know what that power is as some would be triggered. There could be triggered events too.

All you as the players would know is this. The number of enemies at game start and your own power. (if not triggered) It would be a non-PM game. It would have a day/night cycle, but you will not know what other powers are out there. Basically, a fairly blind game until things develop. Any interest in such a game when Grund gets back? I don't want to put much time into it if it's a stupid idea. :P
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I should just have the word IN put above my avatar, shouldn't I?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, this isn't a sign-up thread, but just checking interest. I knew you'd be in. We're alike you and I. We both like complex rules and lots of specials. An all special supersecret game would be awesome. I'd almost rather play it than host it. :P

The triggered events could shape up to be interesting too, and change some dynamics. I'm all like avant-garde and stuff.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I like the idea if it will work.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'd be game. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

i'll play
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'm working up rules and backstory over the weekend. Grund is going to be kind enough to work with me on tuning and balancing it. I'll wait for the current games to finish though unless Ralph's game is still on Day 1. ;)
Your ad here.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I think that event triggers are almost a "must" in non-PM games. I know that PM-allowed games are on the outs with a lot of folks, but one thing that they do manage to do: they resolve. In a PM game, you're either making a play, part of a play....or you're being played. As such, it requires activity moreso than non-PM games. You can just sit and do nothing in non-PM games and watch and wait and watch and wait.

Posting anything, switching a vote, not switching a vote....changing your activity, not changing it...all subject to interpretation and/or (more likely) misinterpretation. It *sounds* great. In reality, it seems as if silence is the preferred strategy of players not named Austin, CR, Remus, or Baktosh. Silence in these games sucks.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

triggercut wrote:In reality, it seems as if silence is the preferred strategy of players not named Austin, CR, Remus, or Baktosh. Silence in these games sucks.
Hey I resemble that remark. :lol: Thus why I usually go after the silent ones. If everyone gets a PM to let them know the game is on and they still choose not to say anything they hurt the village by default later on.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken