Are Marvel Comics the lamest girly men on the planet?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Are the Marvel jerks the lamest girly men on the planet?

They look pretty in pink
55%
Probably
27%
No, they should sue you for writing this
18%

Total votes: 44

Jaymann

Are Marvel Comics the lamest girly men on the planet?

Post by Jaymann »

MARVEL SUES CITY OF HEROES PRODUCERS:

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread. ... adid=21377

Let me get this straight, City of Heroes is guilty of copyright infringement not because of any game content, but because players of the game might choose to create characters that imitate Marvel's superheroes.

This is assinine! I could go on WoW, EQ2, DAoC, or even Neocron and create a Worverine this minute. Shouldn't they be sued as well? And what if I create a character on CoH called Generic Man, but he looks exactly like Wolverine?

Apparently the real motivation behind the lawsuit is:
Also mentioned in the suit is Marvel’s allegation that the ability of players to create characters so close to Marvel characters has disrupted its business prospects for seeing its own MMORPG based on Marvel characters, which has been in development at Vivendi for years.
Always easier to litigate than innovate. I for one am boycottimg anything Marvel from this point on.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm not familiar with EQ2 or DAOC, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a way to create any remotely heroic-looking character in WoW, least of all Wolverine (unless they added yellow spandex and something akin to adamantium claws at some point).

You can get pissy all you want, but our legal system in the U.S. REQUIRES a company to aggressively defend their trademarks against infringement. If they fail to do so in one place, then they essentially lose the ability to do it at all, as future, potentially more deliberate infringers can simply point at the other incident(s) and say "well, we figured your trademarked material was public domain since you let so-and-so use it." Any lawyers here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I got that from a credible source and that it's at least fairly accurate.

So if it's possible to be Hulk in CoC, and there's no licensing arrangement in place, and Marvel DOESN'T sue, then it's fair game on Hulk. There goes their exclusivity on hulk t-shirts, toys, models, posters, mousepads and whatever other swag you can think of. If you don't like it, write your congressman, but don't blame Marvel for doing what they have to do.

Sith
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

So, when's Sith Lord goona get sued by Lucas?

:P
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are thousands of companies out there that have intellectual property that have successfully defended it, and have retained full control and rights, without going to the silly lengths that Marvel has.

I can go into Morrowind right this minute, download a face mod, a clothing mod, and a few weapon mods and create exact, mirror-image clones of most of the Lord of the Rings characters. I can go read tens of thousands of pages of Star Trek fan fiction and watch hundreds of hours of Star Wars based fan movies. I'm sure that practically every MMO out there makes it possible to recreate dozens of copyrighted characters from TV, other games, comics, books, movies, and everything else.

I can load up Freedom Force, download, and play any number of heroes based on DC or independent comics. I cannot, however, play any Marvel heroes - Marvel sued all the skin sites some time ago.

These companies are not losing control of their properties; they are rightfully seeing these things as the devotion of the fans.

Marvel (just like the rest of these IP owners) are well within their rights to file lawsuits and intimidate every 14-year old who makes a Wolverine skin, but not doing so hasn't lost the IP of any of those other thousands of companies. What makes Marvel believe that they have to be so much more draconian than any of the others?

You know, that is the funny thing about the word 'right'. It has two meanings. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right to do it.

In Marvel's case, it doesn't even make business sense. Such measures aren't necessary to protect their property - other companies have proven that. All they have managed to do is make their friendly company come across looking like the Comic Gestapo, pissing off thousands of fans who want to express their love of their product. But, yes - Marvel has the right to do so if they want to.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You know, that is the funny thing about the word 'right'. It has two meanings. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right to do it.
Excellent point, BH. These idiots can't seem to grasp the concept that the more ubiquitous their characters are, the stronger the franchise becomes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

The Tolkien esteate has vigorously defended their IP. They sued the makers of D&D over the use of the name Ent and the spelling of Elves. They're not exactly a good example for your case, even if it's possible to create a wizard in Morrowind and name him Gandalf.

And we're not talking about free skins here, though that's a similar topic with related issues - we're talking specifically about a for-profit game where the developers are making money off the sale of a product that a) allows you to create Marvel-owned characters in-game (in an environment uniquely suited to their appearance and abilities, unlike the fantasy-themed games Jaymann refers to in his OP) and b) threatens to compete with Marvel's own MMORPG currently in development. If you own the rights to something and are working on the means to sell it, and somebody else comes along and sells something similar that uses your material, why WOULDN'T you sue them? This is the same tired old argument, that somebody's art should be free for the taking if somebody else wants it and likes it. We're lucky there are any artists left at all in the world.

Sith
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not everything is so black and white. Not everybody using their favorite characters in a game of make-believe (like all PC games really are) is some vile, dark, nefarious thief come to rob the glorious, shining, starving artists of their hard-earned wealth. They are fans loving a character, and being able to indulge in those fantasies makes them more likely to purchase official products in those lines. Other companies have realized this. Marvel sees it as someone treading on their toes, and responds with threats and lawsuits where other companies have successfully retained their rights and increased their profits by supporting these same fans.

Using a 30-year-old lawsuit against Gary Gygax to counter a Morrowind example is meaningless. Saying it isn't about skins is inaccurate; this is just the latest instance in a years-long rampage on Marvel's part that has included skins, fan sites, and all sorts of other things. It may not have been part of the original topic, but it is most certainly part of the issue behind it.

City of Heroes doesn't allow you to create " create Marvel-owned characters in-game (in an environment uniquely suited to their appearance and abilities)", they create an environment and character options based on the huge mythology that has surrounded comic books for the last 80 years. I seriously doubt that there is a single element in City of Heroes that wasn't in some comic somewhere long before Marvel implemented them in their own comics. For Marvel to claim ownership, not of a character named 'Spiderman' with a specific costume and powers, but of entire concepts of comic book characters is ludicrous and arrogant. Marvel isn't being infringed upon; they are a single influence in a game that draws upon hundreds of influences to create something reminicsent of all of them.

According to their site, Marvel has over 5,000 characters. It would be literally impossible to create a game with designable super hero characters that didn't make it possible to mimic at least hundreds of these characters. By the logic above, that means the Marvel is, quite literally, the only company with any right to make any super hero game, ever. Any combination of powers or appearance you can possibly imagine is similar to something Marvel has done. The absolute closest thing that they can claim being a direct copy from Marvel would be the claws, and I can think of at least two historical weapons that functioned very similarly (the wagnuk and the katar).

For Marvel to claim to own all of those concepts is idiotic. It is comparable to the Tolkien estate suing Everquest because they can make elves with blonde hair and bows.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Blackhawk wrote:Not everything is so black and white. Not everybody using their favorite characters in a game of make-believe (like all PC games really are) is some vile, dark, nefarious thief come to rob the glorious, shining, starving artists of their hard-earned wealth. They are fans loving a character, and being able to indulge in those fantasies makes them more likely to purchase official products in those lines.
Marvel isn't suing the fans. It's suing the competitor company for designing a game that allows those fans to infringe on their trademarks. Regardless of how happy it makes the fans, allowing a competitor to do that is pretty easily argued as bad business, no matter how much you might wish otherwise. Moreover, any time you can sue a competitor and win, it puts money in your coffers and takes money from theirs, which is a pretty mercenary approach but it's far from uncommon in today's business world. Playing nice is naive.
Other companies have realized this. Marvel sees it as someone treading on their toes, and responds with threats and lawsuits where other companies have successfully retained their rights and increased their profits by supporting these same fans.
You have data to support this, or does it just sound good because it supports your position?
Using a 30-year-old lawsuit against Gary Gygax to counter a Morrowind example is meaningless.
There may or may not be more recent examples - I'm pretty sure there are, as the Tolkein estate has historically always been very aggressive. I just don't feel like looking them up. Also, we're talking about a lawsuit primarily over characters with VERY SPECIFIC appearances and abilities. So your example is equally as meaningless by comparing the Marvel suit to the Morrowind mods. I simply responded in kind.
Saying it isn't about skins is inaccurate; this is just the latest instance in a years-long rampage on Marvel's part that has included skins, fan sites, and all sorts of other things. It may not have been part of the original topic, but it is most certainly part of the issue behind it.
Change that "may not" to a "was not" and you'll see that I'm just trying to stay focused here on a particular issue.
City of Heroes doesn't allow you to create " create Marvel-owned characters in-game (in an environment uniquely suited to their appearance and abilities)", they create an environment and character options based on the huge mythology that has surrounded comic books for the last 80 years. I seriously doubt that there is a single element in City of Heroes that wasn't in some comic somewhere long before Marvel implemented them in their own comics. For Marvel to claim ownership, not of a character named 'Spiderman' with a specific costume and powers, but of entire concepts of comic book characters is ludicrous and arrogant. Marvel isn't being infringed upon; they are a single influence in a game that draws upon hundreds of influences to create something reminicsent of all of them.
Did you read the article at all?
The Article wrote: Marvel claims that the game’s character-creation engine allows players to create characters which are virtually identical to its characters, such as a giant, green ‘tanker’ style character whose powers are science based, which would be similar to the Hulk; or a mutant-based characters whose powers and costume could be seen as being nearly identical to Wolverine.
Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a whole lot more concrete and less philisophical than "they create an environment and character options based on the huge mythology that has surrounded comic books for the last 80 years."
According to their site, Marvel has over 5,000 characters. It would be literally impossible to create a game with designable super hero characters that didn't make it possible to mimic at least hundreds of these characters. By the logic above, that means the Marvel is, quite literally, the only company with any right to make any super hero game, ever. Any combination of powers or appearance you can possibly imagine is similar to something Marvel has done.
Yes, that does pose a serious challenge to the design of games like these - and a challenge that the designers were obligated to overcome or face legal action. Marvel argues that they failed to overcome the challenge adequately, so they're taking legal action.
The absolute closest thing that they can claim being a direct copy from Marvel would be the claws, and I can think of at least two historical weapons that functioned very similarly (the wagnuk and the katar).
That's certainly a cogent argument and I'd expect the defense attorneys to make it. Just as I'd expect a counter argument from Marvel that they aren't taking issue with characters who wear those weapons, so much as with characters who are capable of causing such weapons to erupt from their knuckles they way Wolverine's do. There's hardly a historical precedent for that. And I'd be interested to see a historical precedent for The Incredible Hulk.
For Marvel to claim to own all of those concepts is idiotic. It is comparable to the Tolkien estate suing Everquest because they can make elves with blonde hair and bows.
Tolkien didn't invent elves or elves with bows or elves with blonde hair. Marvel did, however, invent a huge green man with incredible strength named Hulk, and they are defending the use of that likeness so they can protect what they own and profit from it. At first it seemed as if your argument was that they COULD do it but SHOULD NOT do it, but the more we debate the more it sounds like you think the suit is without merit. Maybe you're right and it will get thrown out of court, but I doubt it.

Sith
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, that does pose a serious challenge to the design of games like these - and a challenge that the designers were obligated to overcome or face legal action. Marvel argues that they failed to overcome the challenge adequately, so they're taking legal action.
Complete and utter bull. That concept there is that Marvel has copyrighted a genre of fiction in which there are hundreds of competitors.

My stance is both that they should not because it is bad business to bite your customers in the ankles, and that that they should not because what they are trying to claim is just plain silly. They aren't just trying to protect their property; they are trying to expand what is 'theirs' to encompass an entire concept, one that predates them and is bigger than their business.

You can make a big green guy. So what? Big guys are standard comic book fare, from the Hulk to the Thing to the Tick. So are differently colored guys, from pasty white to bright blue. You can make a big pink guy, or a big purple guy, a big chartreuse guy, or a big flesh colored guy. They have the whole palette available - there are literally thousands of color choices. You can also make short green guys, green women, athletic green guys, and hundreds of other variations. I'm not saying that Marvel doesn't have the rights to the Hulk image, a specific design; I'm saying that they do not have the rights to the very concept of a 'big guy that is green'. It is simply is not a Marvel original character concept.

That was the core of my Tolkien/Everquest point. Tolkien does not own generic fantasy concepts. Marvel, likewise, does not own generic comic book concepts - like big green men.

I could sit here googling and typing for another hour, but it is getting to be a waste. Going back and taking turns picking apart points one by one is meaningless. You aren't about to change your stance. You see things one way and one way only, and in my opinion it is so idealistic that it is utterly meaningless. Discussing in hopes of getting you to see any other point of view is a waste of time - of which I have already wasted too much.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Sith Lord wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Not everything is so black and white. Not everybody using their favorite characters in a game of make-believe (like all PC games really are) is some vile, dark, nefarious thief come to rob the glorious, shining, starving artists of their hard-earned wealth. They are fans loving a character, and being able to indulge in those fantasies makes them more likely to purchase official products in those lines.
Marvel isn't suing the fans. It's suing the competitor company for designing a game that allows those fans to infringe on their trademarks. Regardless of how happy it makes the fans, allowing a competitor to do that is pretty easily argued as bad business, no matter how much you might wish otherwise. Moreover, any time you can sue a competitor and win, it puts money in your coffers and takes money from theirs, which is a pretty mercenary approach but it's far from uncommon in today's business world. Playing nice is naive.
MS Paint let's me draw a pretty badass Wolverine picture. Should Marvel sue Microsoft for creating a product that lets me infringe on their copyrights?

City of Heroes will force you to change your character if it resembles a copyrighted one, right? If there actually were people running around with characters that were obviously Marvel characters, the suit would be valid. But if not, what's the problem? The potential to create such a character isn't nearly enough.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Blackhawk wrote: I could sit here googling and typing for another hour, but it is getting to be a waste. Going back and taking turns picking apart points one by one is meaningless. You aren't about to change your stance. You see things one way and one way only, and in my opinion it is so idealistic that it is utterly meaningless. Discussing in hopes of getting you to see any other point of view is a waste of time - of which I have already wasted too much.
And by implication you are open-minded and non-judgemental. The fact is, you're going to keep bringing up this nonsense about Mavel attacking "genres" and the "mythology" of comics while I'm going to continue pointing to the article where it appears that Marvel is clearly targeting some pretty specific issues. You're going to continue being offended by their audacity and I'm going to continue analyzing the situation as objectively as I'm able (which I'd say is pretty objectively, since I hold no stake in the comics industry or Marvel, nor have I ever played CoH or most of the other games at issue). If you make a cogent point, such as with the real-world weapons, I'll concede it, and continue to be optimistic that there's a remote chance you'll do the same, as unlikely as that seems. And certainly, either of us is well within their rights to take their ball and go home at any point - that's part of the beauty of arguing on an internet message board. :)

Sith
Odin

Post by Odin »

yossar wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:
MS Paint let's me draw a pretty badass Wolverine picture. Should Marvel sue Microsoft for creating a product that lets me infringe on their copyrights?

City of Heroes will force you to change your character if it resembles a copyrighted one, right? If there actually were people running around with characters that were obviously Marvel characters, the suit would be valid. But if not, what's the problem? The potential to create such a character isn't nearly enough.
That's a ridiculous assertion, as you're certainly aware. Paper and pencil would be far more effective for drawing a comics character, and as with MS Paint, it's the drawer rather than the medium that must bear the responsibility in that case. But drawing a static picture, whether digitally or by hand, is different from distributing that picture to a wide audience (which they very likely would take issue with) or from creating an electronic system that allows/encourages people to create such a character and then use it to interact with thousands of other people. As the article says, this is something of a landmark case, as we're still trying to figure out what is and isn't allowed when dealing with digital tools that simply didn't exist a decade ago. It may be that Marvel will alienate their loyal fans and/or lose their suit, we'll have to wait and see.

Sith
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Jaymann wrote:
Excellent point, BH. These idiots can't seem to grasp the concept that the more ubiquitous their characters are, the stronger the franchise becomes.
Not if they wanted to license their IP to another mmorpg, it doesn't.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Sith Lord wrote:That's a ridiculous assertion, as you're certainly aware. Paper and pencil would be far more effective for drawing a comics character, and as with MS Paint, it's the drawer rather than the medium that must bear the responsibility in that case. But drawing a static picture, whether digitally or by hand, is different from distributing that picture to a wide audience (which they very likely would take issue with) or from creating an electronic system that allows/encourages people to create such a character and then use it to interact with thousands of other people. As the article says, this is something of a landmark case, as we're still trying to figure out what is and isn't allowed when dealing with digital tools that simply didn't exist a decade ago. It may be that Marvel will alienate their loyal fans and/or lose their suit, we'll have to wait and see.

Sith
With the vast multitude of characters Marvel has copyrighted, how exactly do you create a superhero MMORPG that doesn't have the potential to let users create characters that are similar to Marvel characters? The company would have to create every available character from scratch and allow zero customization. There is no way to do it besides banning characters that infringe on copyrights. Supposedly NCSoft does that. If Marvel's beef is that NCSoft isn't enforcing copyright infringements aggressively enough, that's a different matter. But going after a system because it can potentially create characters similar to copyrighted ones is ridiculous.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Preacher wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
I respectfully disagree. If done right, an "official" Spiderman character generator with his actual power set would be far more appealing to a true fan than a psudo Spiderman with a somewhat similar costume who can jump high and shoot a white energy ray that slightly resembles a web spray. If Marvel had not been such a-holes with their lawsuit, I would have loved to check out their MMORPG. Now they can take their IP and shove it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JayG

Post by JayG »

Gotta face facts, true believers, Marvel are just Girly Men.

'Nuff said.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

I guess DC has not sued since they are not developing an MMORPG.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jaymann wrote: I respectfully disagree. If done right, an "official" Spiderman character generator with his actual power set would be far more appealing to a true fan than a psudo Spiderman with a somewhat similar costume who can jump high and shoot a white energy ray that slightly resembles a web spray..
How on Earth could a Marvel themed MMORPG work? Explain how you could justify 300 Wolverine or 800 Aquaman characters?

The fact is, NC Soft has created a game that gives the player generic super powers. Add that to a near infinite ability to customize your character's appearance and you've got an online game.

Like Blackhawk said, they might have the *right* to sue, but that doesn't mean it is right.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Smoove_B wrote:
How on Earth could a Marvel themed MMORPG work? Explain how you could justify 300 Wolverine or 800 Aquaman characters?
I forget where I heard this, but I think the idea was you make up your own hero like in CoH, but occasionally an NPC Marvel hero would team up with you. I'm not sure if the idea was for this to happen in instances or if you'd be patrolling and occasionally Spidey or whoever would show up and help you out.

EDIT - as for the lawsuit, it's a trademark thing, not a copyright thing. It's, IMHO, an extremely weak trademark thing, but whatever.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kadoth Nodens wrote: I forget where I heard this, but I think the idea was you make up your own hero like in CoH, but occasionally an NPC Marvel hero would team up with you. I'm not sure if the idea was for this to happen in instances or if you'd be patrolling and occasionally Spidey or whoever would show up and help you out.
That might be pretty cool, but I still be people would rather PLAY as Spiderman, The Hulk or Silver Surfer. I can't imagine Marvel giving the players super powers or costume options that don't conflict with their existing I.P.

People would have to make superheroes with magnetic colons or the ability to communicate with corn as not to be in violation of Marvel's intellectual property.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Jaymann wrote:

I respectfully disagree. If done right, an "official" Spiderman character generator with his actual power set would be far more appealing to a true fan than a psudo Spiderman with a somewhat similar costume who can jump high and shoot a white energy ray that slightly resembles a web spray. If Marvel had not been such a-holes with their lawsuit, I would have loved to check out their MMORPG. Now they can take their IP and shove it.
Your point that I responded to was that ubuiquity increased the strength of their franchise. The existence of that pseudo-Spiderman does nothing to strengthen their franchise if the same were available through a Marvel-licensed product. Furthermore, the existence of that psuedo-Spidey may deter companies from licensing Marvel IP ("why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?").

I'm not saying it's right or wrong legally; I haven't got a clue. I'm just saying that there is a seemingly valid argument and perhaps it is not a terrible idea for it to be heard by people who understand the law better than I do.

I imagine that if COH can prove that their customizations are truly generic (to Smoove's point), then they have nothing to fear. If, however, there are customizations (a subset of the total) that mimic specific Marvel characters, then they best prepare their legal defense fund. I played for a while my powers were generic but I never had a good sense of the total range of powers.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

There are a couple of elements in City of Heroes that are clearly direct rip-offs of marvel characters. There are lots of super heroes with claws, there are very few that have three claws on each hand, coming out of the knuckles, that make snkt noises on extension. I seem to remember a spine powerset that was nearly identical to another character. They could easily have made them more generic or slightly different, but they didn't.
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

I think Wolverine and Hulk are the two characters easiest to replicate in CoH. I had an almost exact likeness of Wolverine and I got him to lvl 26 without so much as a warning. I saw plenty of Hulks, purple ripped shorts and all, leaping throughout the cities. Looking at it from a consumers point of view (obviously since that's all that I am), I can see where Marvel would want to put its foot down because of not only the ability to create a likeness to their characters, but the powersets which allow them to act the same way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

\/\/olverine wrote: I can see where Marvel would want to put its foot down because of not only the ability to create a likeness to their characters, but the powersets which allow them to act the same way.
There is a problem there, though - literally every power set in CoH will allow your character to act like at least one Marvel character. Ice? Fire? Gravity control? Strength? Mind control? Illusions? Flight? Leaping? Speed? Electricity? Stone? It would be practically impossible to create a single power that doesn't mimic at least a few Marvel characters.

The best they could probably do to control it would be to prevent very specific combinations - an extra-large tanker with skin in the green spectrum wouldn't be able to choose Leaping and Super Strength, for instance, but the sheer number of Marvel characters (5000+) means that there would be thousands of these impossible combinations. That was what I meant earlier when I said that Marvel was trying to claim an entire genre - Marvel has a copyrighted character with essentially ever power and look already. If anything similar to Marvel is infringement, then practically everything is infringement. That, to me, goes beyond the purview of 'Intellectual Property'.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

I think you're looking at it too broadly, BH. Certainly Marvel can't claim "super strength" or "telekinesis" as IP, since both are largely generic "powers" seen not just in comic books but in literature and lore everywhere. But I personally couldn't think of anyone talking about human webslingers before or without referencing Marvel's IP in Spiderman, to use one particular example. Other examples would be if CoH had "adamantium claws" or "interstellar surfboards". I don't claim that they have any of these three in particular but if some subset of the powers in CoH are not generic enough and are particularly based on the Marvel Universe, then I think Marvel has a point.

If they are seriously only talking about the ability to turn your skin green and wear torn clothing, well then I'd tell them to take a long walk off of a short pier. But I'm not so sure it's as simple as that (albeit from someone who only played the game for a month).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Preacher wrote:but if some subset of the powers in CoH are not generic enough and are particularly based on the Marvel Universe, then I think Marvel has a point.
There's a simple power set in CoH named "Energy Manipulation". One of my favorite characters , Lodix, sucks up energy from some unknown location and redirects it at bad guys. So basically...he's Havok or Gambit, minus the costume.

How much more generic could my power be? Energy manipulation. That's pretty basic.

Sure, there are powers in the game that let you spring claws from your hands - but does that make you Wolverine?

I sure as hell don't know what the line is, but in the end its only going to end up hurting the consumer -- bet on it.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Smoove_B wrote:I sure as hell don't know what the line is, but in the end its only going to end up hurting the consumer -- bet on it.
Intellectual property law has never seemed to be about helping the consumer, just the owner.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Sith Lord wrote:I'm not familiar with EQ2 or DAOC, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a way to create any remotely heroic-looking character in WoW, least of all Wolverine (unless they added yellow spandex and something akin to adamantium claws at some point).
There's plenty of yellow armor and there are claw (fist) weapons that do indeed look like claws. The haircut would actually be the hardest part, since the hair styles for humans are so bland.