Octopus Overlords NFL Pool, 2008 edition - Zaxxon lives.

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Octopus Overlords NFL Pool, 2008 edition - Zaxxon lives.

Post by Zaxxon »

Hopefully no one complains that this should be in the FGF, as this is the 'one signup thread' for the OONFL pool. Granted, I probably should have stuck the stats tool and pre-season signup threads in there*, but I'm an idiot and honestly spaced out.

Anyway, it's that wondrous time of year again. The sun is shining, days are warm, birds chirp happily. And the NFL preseason is nearly upon us, a mere week away. It's OONFL2k8 signup time.

Our planning thread didn't turn up a lot of changes, so we'll repeat last year's rules, with one amendment, to the payouts, as follows:

Winning: Player with the highest playoff point total wins. 40% of pool goes to the winner, 30% to the second-place entrant, and 15% to the third-place participant. Additionally, 10% of the pot will be awarded to the player with the best regular-season point total, and 5% to the player with the highest combined score over weeks 13-17.

This change is an effort to provide some measure of impetus to keep playing for players that have little shot at the playoffs, without haveing an overly adverse impact on the pot for the winners.

So, for those new to the forum or the pool, here's an overview.

-Any OO member is welcome to join us.
-The pool lasts from Week 1 through the Super Bowl, every game picked by every player.
-A correct pick earns 2 points, an incorrect pick 0.
-Each player may optionally designate up to five games each week as 'locks'. Correct locks earn 3 points instead of 2, and incorrect locks cost a point instead of washing out.
-At regular-season's end, the top 50% of players continue to the playoffs; the rest become cheerleaders (or hecklers).
-Playoff scoring is similar, except each player has a total of 5 locks for the duration of the playoffs, and the Super Bowl is worth 4 points rather than two.
-$20 entrance fee, regular-season winner gets 10%, 3rd-place playoffs gets 15%, 2nd-place playoffs 30%, and playoff winner 40%. Finally, the player with the highest combined score in weeks 13-17 gets the final 5%.

Even though no one took me up on it last year, I'm still going to offer the Ironman option again this year.

Ironman entries:$20 entry fee, and players can opt to have a 2nd entry if it's an Ironman. Entire regular season will be predicted in advance. If by some magical intervention an Ironman entry makes the playoffs, (s)he will predict the entire playoff tournament prior to kickoff of the first Wildcard game.

There's room for everyone interested to join. For the cost of a movie ticket, popcorn, and a drink, you'll be entertained for the next seven months, and have a shot at bragging rights for the following five (currently held by The Meal). If you enjoy American football, you're denying yourself a lot of fun by passing.

To register, either email me from the address you'd like to use for the pool (make sure to mention your forum name please), or PM me and include your email address. Also post here to let everyone else know your intent to donate money to The Meal, and to initiate trash talkage. I'll then send back information on snailmailing or PayPaling your entry fee. Entry fees are due to me by kickoff of the regular season on September 6th. Past seasons' statistics are available here.

* - Though I'm not a fan of that forum for this type of use, since the season-long game is contained in one thread, doesn't involve a significant risk of flooding EBG with bunches of spinoffs, and covers a topic that interests a very large section of the EBG crowd. But I can see the benefit for those not interested, and all talk post-signup will go to the FGF per the rules.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

First to be IN!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Second.

Yahtzee! :D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Perhaps too late for a suggestion (and perhaps it has already be discussed), but you might get more ironman entries if the entry fee was less than the regular entry fee. Just to make the playoffs as an ironman entry would be incredibly tough; the way it is set up now it seems pretty stupid to bother. But if the fee was say, $10, I for one would be tempted to submit and ironman entry along with my regular entry.

In any case, I'm in and ready to make more bad playoff decisions. Stupid Patriots at Indy. :x
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Perhaps too late for a suggestion (and perhaps it has already be discussed), but you might get more ironman entries if the entry fee was less than the regular entry fee. Just to make the playoffs as an ironman entry would be incredibly tough; the way it is set up now it seems pretty stupid to bother. But if the fee was say, $10, I for one would be tempted to submit and ironman entry along with my regular entry.
I've thought about this, but I don't want those who don't do Ironman entries to feel like those doing so are getting an unfair shot at the winnings. I wouldn't have a problem with a $10 2nd entry as an Ironman since the odds are so incredibly against any Ironman entry doing well, but unless an overwhelming number of participants speak up here in agreement, I don't think I'd be comfortable slashing the entry fee.
In any case, I'm in and ready to make more bad playoff decisions. Stupid Patriots at Indy. :x
Dude, you picked against my Bears in Chicago, in January, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Football Gods pre-emptively smash your 2008 season...
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

A $10 Ironman entry that only acts as your second-chance sweepstakes entry for the playoffs seems like a genius idea. I'd support folks having that option.

I intend to be in this year. I'll need to send money along, however, as I fully cashed out of the First National Bank of Zaxxon at the end of last season, IIRC.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:A $10 Ironman entry that only acts as your second-chance sweepstakes entry for the playoffs seems like a genius idea. I'd support folks having that option.
Hopefully more people will chime in with their agreement.
I intend to be in this year. I'll need to send money along, however, as I fully cashed out of the First National Bank of Zaxxon at the end of last season, IIRC.

~Neal
Indeed you did. Something tells me your entry fee will act more as an investment than a donation, though...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

How can I resist? IN!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
koanicriddle

Post by koanicriddle »

In.
My LibraryThing catalog... a work in progress.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Everyone who has 'IN'ed so far should have a PM.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In in in!
Hodor.
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

I'm in.
Xfire/Xbox Live/Steam Tag: gwartok
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Wouldn't miss it. I'm in.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm in!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another round of PMs has been sent.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

In
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

In
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

More PMs sent. Please chime in on the Ironman slash-rate entry too, guys.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm in, I'll pay when I see you in a few weeks.
Black Lives Matter
Big Jake

Post by Big Jake »

In! And this year, I vow not to blow a week drunkenly!
I play Bjork tunes on Elite in Audiosurf.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

In!
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Longtime watcher, but consider me in!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

In, along with PeteRock's Wife. She has passed on her condolences and looks forward to taking all of your money.

Her words, not mine.
Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.

E-A-G-L-E-S...........EAGLES!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This brings us to 23 confirmed in. Everyone should have PMs now.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Im in again..Winning it all this year though. Damn Bears..
igbe

Post by igbe »

I did not make last year but I am IN for this season for sure!

Looking forward to it. It's too bad we don't have a CFB bracket so I could lock in my Trojans every week, seeing as we lose maybe once a season these days. :lol:

And go Chargers it's this year or never, I would put money on never! Walks away talking to himself ....typical San Diego sports teams.....

Igbe
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

The Meal wrote:A $10 Ironman entry that only acts as your second-chance sweepstakes entry for the playoffs seems like a genius idea. I'd support folks having that option.

I like this idea, if I understand it correctly. An Ironman entry would be cheaper, but only serve as a mechanism by which you could enter the playoffs if your selected picks didn't get you there. If (god forbid) your Ironman and regular picks are both good enough, you just get one playoff entry. Either way, you play the playoffs normally.

Oh, and I'm in.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ChrisGwinn wrote:

I like this idea, if I understand it correctly. An Ironman entry would be cheaper, but only serve as a mechanism by which you could enter the playoffs if your selected picks didn't get you there. If (god forbid) your Ironman and regular picks are both good enough, you just get one playoff entry. Either way, you play the playoffs normally.

Oh, and I'm in.
Actually, it's a totally separate entry.
Teh Rulezz wrote:Ironman Option: Players may optionally submit (and pay for) a 2nd entry, in which all regular-season games are picked prior to Week 1 kickoff. Any Ironman entries making the playoffs will be required to pick the entirety of the playoffs (including Super Bowl) prior to Wildcard Weekend kickoff.
Basically, we're debating whether a 2nd entry in the form of an Ironman should just cost $10.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I'm happy to donate again... :) PM to be sent shortly...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

*August bumpage*

Also, if you have any objections to the $10 Ironman-as-2nd-entry idea, please speak up. I've had more than one person express interest now, so unless there are players opposed, we'll likely make it an option.
theohall

Post by theohall »

IN...

Another positive vote for the 2nd Entry Ironman at $10 thing.
moghedian

Post by moghedian »

I'll give this a shot.

I'm also for the $10 Ironman thing as well.
A carousel horse, who is constantly lost...Standing still but always running
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, if no one is going to come in with a dissenting opinion on the $10 ironman, let's go ahead and make it official--it's an option, as a 2nd entry. Only two entries, max (one regular, one ironman).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Just a clarification: if you get to the playoffs with both the ironman entry and the regular entry, do you get two playoffs entries (with one being of the ironman-pick-the-whole-playoffs-at-the-start variety)?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Just a clarification: if you get to the playoffs with both the ironman entry and the regular entry, do you get two playoffs entries (with one being of the ironman-pick-the-whole-playoffs-at-the-start variety)?
Yes.
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

I'm not going to miss this year and will definitely try the ironman. Makes it better if you come in first and second. :twisted:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Oh yes - I shall be ironmanning it up! If I don't beat at least Pete Rock with my ironman entry, I shall be sorely disappointed in myself. 8-)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, Pete Rock's pretty bad, isn't he? ;)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bump for a small request--if you do an ironman entry, please try to submit it to me as soon as you are comfortable doing so. Obviously no one wants to submit them before rosters are fairly set, but the thought of entering perhaps a dozen 256-game entries the night before the regular season begins is not something that makes me smile. :)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon wrote:Bump for a small request--if you do an ironman entry, please try to submit it to me as soon as you are comfortable doing so. Obviously no one wants to submit them before rosters are fairly set, but the thought of entering perhaps a dozen 256-game entries the night before the regular season begins is not something that makes me smile. :)
As long as we have it submitted to you before the games start, I imagine you wouldn't necessarily need to get them all in that first day of the season - it's not like we can change anything. :D