Games in Canada?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

TalonFire

Games in Canada?

Post by TalonFire »

Hey all, just wanted to know of the best place to buy games in Canada.

I used to be on the Gone Gold site about 5 or so years ago, back when i was in the states. (i was really sad to hear of its demise). I went by the name of shipwrecked if anyone remembers. Since then i have moved to Calgary, and have just recently acquired a computer (went without one for 4 years, don't know how i did it), but i've noticed that the games here are a bit more expensive than in the states with less selection and not very good deals at the brick stores and most of the online stores are located in the states with high shipping costs to Canada, not to mention the conversion rate making it more costly for me as well, darn Canadian dollar. Anyone here know where in Canada or Calgary to be more specific i can find some good deals on games or some decent online stores that ship to Canada for a good price? For now I'll keep an eye out in the trading forum for games being sold, as i have nothing to trade and maybe see if i can find any good deals on ebay.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Futureshop.ca
Bestbuy.ca
Amazon.ca
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

I usually shop at the local Electronics Boutique. Every mall here (Victoria BC) has one. Depending on the location, they can have a pretty decent selection of used PC games, although the PC sections are getting more cramped by the day it seems. The prices aren't spectacular (usually $10 less than retail for a newer game, getting cheaper the older the game is), but it's less expensive than brand new. New game prices don't seem to vary much between stores here, although occasionally Future Shop has some good deals. But Future Shop is evil and I avoid it like the plague.

Games don't really seem much more expensive here in Canada to me, but when I really want to play something new, price is no object if I can zip down to the mall and have it in my greedy little hands within minutes :)
Phanboi

Post by Phanboi »

I live in Canmore so when I go to Calgary I go to stores in the N.W. as it's closest. I usually go to Market Mall or to Northland Mall. Sometimes I go to Nothhill Mall .
TalonFire

Post by TalonFire »

I don't have a car, so i'm pretty limited as to which brick stores i can go to....i live in south calgary near southcenter and the eb there never has any good older games and i might as well buy a new game for what they charge for used (do all the used games at eb look like they've been chewed up and spit out by a grizzly?). I should really take the train to the north but never have the time, but maybe when i get more cash i'll take a trip to market mall and check it out. As for best buy and future shop, there is only one best buy in the city (north) and the Future shop near me isn't that great (yes, it is evil, i get the chills every time i enter one), as for their websites, not too many good deals on there. I really can't afford newer games right now....have to upgrade my video card first anyway, so i'm trying to look for good prices on all those games i missed out on for those 4 years that i can still play without a good card. I picked up the FPS XIII at wal-mart for $5, so that was a great deal on a game i wanted to check out.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Isn't Compusmart big out west?
They additionally have some pretty good clearances every once in a while.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
TalonFire

Post by TalonFire »

I never thought of Compusmart, closest one is a bit out of the way but right next to a mall. I should check it out sometime.
I just went to the EB nearest to me and while they did have more used games (in better condition and nicely displayed since last time i checked them out) but there really wasn't much i was looking for there amidst the multiple copies of Doom 3.
I guess i was spoiled living in the states with many stores to choose from at a close distance and the prices i remember paying back then were about $35-$45 for a new game when it was on sale at Best Buy or the like. These days living in Canada and being on my own and not mooching off my parents, i don't really feel like choosing between paying rent and buying a new game, of course, if i could find a large enough cardboard box to live in.....hmm.....maybe....
RodeoRanch

Post by RodeoRanch »

I live outside of Calgary but go into town all the time. For games I usually go to the EB Games at Market Mall, the Futureshop at Northill Mall or the CompuSmart at Crowfoot Mall.
Larraque

Post by Larraque »

DaPhanboi wrote:I live in Canmore
Do you know Mike?

Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I think the real question is if he knows Norm...

- Ash
Hereafter

Post by Hereafter »

I live in Calgary actually. Castleridge, NE to be exact.

The deals and steals you're looking for is pretty much nil in good old cow-town.

Try EBgames, they're usually pretty good. On games that you know won't sell fast (Silent Storm, Victoria,, etc.) you can wait since the prices will come down eventually. Befriending managers of EBgames will help alot too. They won't give you discounts but they can always help you by being on the lookout for used games in great quality for you. I personally won't go to FS or BB since they charge an arm and leg on older games. On newer games however they're usually cheaper than EB by $10. Gametraders (on 16th and Center Street) are decent for rare stuff but the prices can vary plus you can actually RENT PC games. You can also try compusmart near (across the sreet from) Chinook. The prices are usally pretty high but on older games they aren't too bad. Stay away from the Compusmart in Market Mall though unless you want old games or you want to pay and extra 5-10 dollars

One last place you should try is Blockbuster (ie Gamerush) the prices are pretty decent there too. PM me if you have anymore questions or if you're looking for certian games. Or whatever :D

PS sorry for the spelling mistakes and grammar.
El-Producto

Post by El-Producto »

Try London Drugs too.. sometimes they have stuff real cheap. Oh and I recall a place in the Northeast... maybe even on Center Street that had super cheap used games... its a bit hard to find... not even sure if it's there.

Oh and cool to know that there are so many Calgarians here.. maybe an OO get together is in order ;)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hey Talonfire - did you move up there with a girl or for a girl?
I seem to remember a story re: Calgary etc....

Roman
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

Another Calgarian here....

Pretty much EB is going to be your best bet for PC titles. Futureshop and Bestbuy never seem to lower their prices on older games... Blockbuster is good for used console games, and they'll give you at least $5 for any console game trade in. Last fall they had a promotion where you could trade in any 4 used console games and get 1 new one. (I got Halo 2, GTA:SA, and Burnout 3)

If you're car limited you can always take the C-Train from Southcentre and go to either Chinook, Marlborough, Sunridge, or the North Hill EBs. Even though I live over in Kensington, I still go to the EB at Marlborough. Galen the store manager there great. (I detest the Westbrook Mall EB)

Compusmart is a good place to go if you want to get ripped off.

Oh and Memory Express is the best local place to go to for PC stuff. (Although I prefer to order online from NCIX.com)