Enterprise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

farley2k

Post by farley2k »

Asharak wrote:
Dirt wrote:By continuing to air mediocrity
Maybe you haven't been listening. There's a large body of opinion that thinks this season has been vastly better than any previous season of Enterprise. They're not continuing to air mediocrity. They completely gutted the storyline of season 3, hired a new executive producer, have started frequently using a 3-episode format that's never been tried in Star Trek before, and have produced some of the best written and directed Star Trek shows I've seen in years.

This stuff is not mediocrity. Regrettably, this stuff is too late.

- Ash

"My mom has premonitions! She had a premonition about the attack on Pearl Harbor"

"Did she tell anyone?"

"No she had it on December 8th"

Enterprise may have been good this last season but they had already lost the audience.

And they have no one to blame but themselves. This wasn't an evil decission by some corprate hack (like cancelling Firefly or Wonderfalls). Enterprise was given a good long time to grow, to develop an auidiance, etc.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

That's the problem of my life; the things I like, only a few people like them. I like Enterprise a lot. In fact, I like all Star Trek stuff, except Data's death. Well, I can accept it, but anyway, lets just wait for the next Star Trek.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, that sucks. I do enjoy the show. Perhaps it isn't up to 5th season DS9 quality, but I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than 75% of the other 'pop culture sitcom' crap on the air.

That said, I'd love to see a non-federation series. No starfleet, no military, no Prime Directive, no epic storylines, just a bunch of folks doing (?) somewhere in the Star Trek universe. Maybe even a planet based show.

Anyway, it surprises me how many people cheer the cancellation. It is like cheering when a band you don't listen to breaks up, or when a game you wouldn't play gets cancelled. If it doesn't affect you, what purpose does it serve to jump up and down on it? Perhaps some people just like to cheer for things that make others unhappy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Blackhawk wrote:Anyway, it surprises me how many people cheer the cancellation. It is like cheering when a band you don't listen to breaks up, or when a game you wouldn't play gets cancelled. If it doesn't affect you, what purpose does it serve to jump up and down on it? Perhaps some people just like to cheer for things that make others unhappy.
I'm happy because I think this clears the slate and offers and opportunity to reboot the series again into something worth watching from the very beginning, not 4 years later.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Enterprise this season was getting vastly better - they were starting to really show what happened in the years prior to the Federation and I was hoping we were going to get to see the Romulan - Human war we always heard so much about, based on the last few eps. Don't know why they ever introduced this silly 'temporal cold war' crap - should have used the pre-federation conflicts right from the beginning. However, it's still a much better show than most of the garbage sit-coms or 'reality' tv out there. I can list all the shows worth watching on one hand this year.

I miss TNG. Picard, Data, Riker, LaForge, even Troi and Crusher made a good crew.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Turtle wrote:They need to make a show about redshirts. You all know you want one.

Not something comedic though, kind of a serious look at how someone goes from a recruit to a full fledged starfleet officer on a Federation ship. This allows them to stay within the realms of ST canon, yet they explore other aspects besides the tired ST genre of a gallant captain and his crew.

Make the captain a more distant figure, handing down orders, make the main cast crew members who are often in the dark as to what's really happening. Of course, the captain needs a personality, but make it distant.
Except that every week you would have to start over with a new recruit as last week's subject got himself killed in some stupid fashion.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I don't think Enterprise ever recovered from this first season episode.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Raven wrote:I don't think Enterprise ever recovered from this first season episode.
Yeah, they lost me about this time. This was so stupid - wasn't he growing nipples on his wrist or something?
RodeoRanch

Post by RodeoRanch »

I wonder what Joss Whedon could do if he was handed control of a Star Trek series. It would certainly be different but I would sure as hell watch.
Odin

Post by Odin »

RodeoRanch wrote:I wonder what Joss Whedon could do if he was handed control of a Star Trek series. It would certainly be different but I would sure as hell watch.
Having a new showrunner can make a huge difference. Look at how much better this season is with Manny Coto in charge. Look at how Andromeda started to suck bigtime when Hewitt-Wolfe left. Artistic direction flows down from the top.

Sith
RodeoRanch

Post by RodeoRanch »

I still think it's a shame that the show was cancelled. I've been watching it since it came out and while it wasn't the best show ever, I enjoyed it. It just felt like they never exactly knew where they wanted to go with the series. It was getting better this season but alas, we'll never find out what could have been.