WoW - what's the deal with ....

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Misguided wrote:You should see Remington Steel, my new broadsword scrapper, Gedd.
"Because two edges are better than one, Advanced Oscillator!"
What an awesome name for a toon. I bet you get compliments on it all the time.

*sigh* If only CoH had come out a few years ago. I'd have liked to spend more time in Paragon.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Gedd wrote:The other night we even did a run on the Scarlet Monestary Library with two rogues, a mage, a hunter, and a warlock. No healing whatsoever, just a pure damage group. We had a few close calls, but in the end we only wiped once, and that was because a pet didn't like the architecture and went off on some wild path and we ended up with too many adds. Other than that, it was an extremely fun group to be a part of. It was amazing to see how well a combination of good crowd control, debuffs, and damage could do.
I bet the warlock carried you guys ;)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

noxiousdog wrote:I bet the warlock carried you guys ;)
No way, it was the crab! ;)

Although seriously, the mage (Darlow, I think) was commenting how much he liked teaming with someone who could throw a increased fire damage spell on the mobs. Makes those fire blasts (or whatever they're called) that much more powerful.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Gedd wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:I bet the warlock carried you guys ;)
No way, it was the crab! ;)
Lefty is a special creature. Now let's just hope he can tank Herod.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lockdown

Post by Lockdown »

morlac wrote:
\/\/olverine wrote:Then you all are/would be some really crummy Priests, I consider that guy one of the biggest fucking morons I've grouped with so far, especially considering he risked his OWN survival not to heal the only tank. You can't call that anything besides a stupid decision in the middle of battle regardless. .
So he kills off the main tank on purpose and manages to keep the group alive for the encounter. Im thinking either he was brillant or the main tank sucked so bad they didnt need him.

That's funny. :)
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

You know I havent read these boards in maybe two weeks cuz all I've been doing is playing WoW. :oops: But I really didnt like your posts about the game earlier Wolverine and I especially dislike what you've said in this thread.

First of all, I love priests. If we are lucky enough to have a specialized healer on the team then I'm workin to keep them alive. As a hunter I am almost always standing right behind the priest firing on the front lines. If a heal pulls aggro I stop what Im doing, even pull my pet back to get those mobs off the priest. It HAS to be done. Working with a good Pally is solid if they can multitask so this isnt an issue, but ultimately a priest rocks and SHOULD be treated as MOST valuable.

Secondly Warriors. I have a few guildie warriors who are class acts and patient players. They wait for a pull before they charge or even better have the synchronicity to charge at the sound of a mage powering or the hammer on my gun coming back. Good stuff and I LOVE grouping in twos with these guys, they're great players, who wouldnt.

Almost EVERY pickup group warrior I have been with has been a total PITA. One even asked me to disable Growl on my pet in Mauradon yesterday because he wanted to 'soak all the aggro' he 'needed the rage'. The guy got us killed three times and then quit the party like it was our fault for not knowing how to play like a moron.

Main Tank doesnt mean jack in WOW. It seems like it might...But I've done Scarlet Monastery with a hunter and two mages...and with a hunter rogue and priest both times killing all 5 named. I consistently see the worst teamwork from warriors and the attitude displayed in the post above explains a lot of the reason. Do everyone on your server a favor and lapse. Delete the char and dont come back.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I have an enchanter alt who enchants for my character, so therefore she can use anything. What's the etiquette there??? (serious question here).

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Lorini wrote:I have an enchanter alt who enchants for my character, so therefore she can use anything. What's the etiquette there??? (serious question here).
I'm not an enchanter, but this is how I would expect to be treated if I was one.

Enchanters, and all others who need stuff for tradeskills, fall in the same group as those who are going to sell the items. If no one is going to use the item (as in their going to equip it), then they roll with the folks who are planning to sell the item.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Does anyone know how to make the friends list default to showing friends first, instead of Ignored?

Another question:

what's the deal with Elites? What exactly does "elite" mean, in terms of a mob? Is it something like their level, +10?
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Jeff Jones wrote:Does anyone know how to make the friends list default to showing friends first, instead of Ignored?

Another question:

what's the deal with Elites? What exactly does "elite" mean, in terms of a mob? Is it something like their level, +10?
Elites are really really nasty mobs. They have that dragon thingy around their picture. While my lvl 33 shaman can tear through multiple level 33 mobs at a time.... a single level 33 elite mob will present lots of problems... I might just barely eek out a kill 1v1. If that elite mob has friends I'm toast.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff Jones wrote:Does anyone know how to make the friends list default to showing friends first, instead of Ignored?

Another question:

An elite mob has a lot more hit points as well as some additional attack power and damage reduction. The level actually is what is displayed for purposes of miss chance and damage dealt, but a lvl 25 elite is at least 2-3 times tougher than a regular lvl 35 mob.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Elites can also drop phat loot. I can usually take on a single Elite at my level or a few levels higher. That's what my tank bear Yogi is for. He's slow, but can take a beating, but man he get pissed when he dies.
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

What's the deal with ... high levels farming low-level areas? I hate this. 30+ level characters running around Goldshire farming copper pisses me off. Especially when I have a level 7 guy fight off a spider right next to a copper mine and some Level 30 asshat runs up and starts mining. Or, even worse, when they run up to something I just STARTED mining and interupt and start mining it themselves. Bastards.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

malichai11 wrote:What's the deal with ... high levels farming low-level areas? I hate this. 30+ level characters running around Goldshire farming copper pisses me off. Especially when I have a level 7 guy fight off a spider right next to a copper mine and some Level 30 asshat runs up and starts mining. Or, even worse, when they run up to something I just STARTED mining and interupt and start mining it themselves. Bastards.
When I was in the late twenties I went and farmed the low level areas because I never developed my mining/blacksmithing skills since I was having too much fun with questing. I needed the copper and tin. Never claim jumped like that though. That would piss me off greatly.

If you are mining and you see someone come up to steal your node DON'T pick up the ore from the pop-up window. He can't start mining until you actually take the item. Sit there and wait. Eventually he'll get pissed and leave. :wink:
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I will usually help out lower level characters as I pass by the low level areas, but I rarely farm the area unless I get attacked or I don't know where there's a higher level area to get the same resource.
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

That's awesome. Thank you. I'll do that next time.
Ramoz

Post by Ramoz »

Lorini wrote:I have an enchanter alt who enchants for my character, so therefore she can use anything. What's the etiquette there??? (serious question here).

Lorini
Etiquette shouldn't change on most boss drops. You can't mail them anyway since they bind on pickup.

As for the rest, just roll. If someone really wants it you can trade it to them if they ask for it. That is if you don't need it.

Speaking of making a priest angry, I was a priest for a group with a friend in SM, some low lvl guy was with a 60 warrior in our group. The guy rolled on a boss bind on pickup cloth hat and won it. He didn't need it or probably even want to use it.

Later on I roll on a leather recipe for our guild leather maker and he starts telling me he wants it and starts bitching. I told him why did you roll on cloth if you didn't need it? Then he has the nerve to lie and say he didn't. It's in the freaking chat log. I just left shortly after since the guy was an annoying prick for most of the time before that anyway.

Pickup groups are about the worse thing in WoW. At least in CoH, 80% of the time random groups were fun.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

malichai11 wrote:What's the deal with ... high levels farming low-level areas?
I'm was 38 and farming wool the other day, partly for coin, partly for an experiment. Wool seems to sell for really well for some reason, and it's not too difficult to farm. I may have ticked off a few low-level folks, but the nice thing is in the area I was farming, the mobs pop back pretty quickly so I wasn't really hurting anyone too much.

Anyway, another good reason is the one mentioned above. Sometimes folks switch professions as they get higher up, so they need to farm all the low level stuff to raise their skills. Again, they shouldn't be there for long, so hopefully you won't be too inconvenienced.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Demosthenes wrote: Main Tank doesnt mean jack in WOW. It seems like it might...But I've done Scarlet Monastery with a hunter and two mages...and with a hunter rogue and priest both times killing all 5 named. I consistently see the worst teamwork from warriors and the attitude displayed in the post above explains a lot of the reason. Do everyone on your server a favor and lapse. Delete the char and dont come back.
You will change your tune later on (in regards to needing a main tank). As a 60th level priest, no one notices "tanking power" more than me since I am the one that has to heal that damage taken. As the instances get harder and harder, pets just can not tank effectively enough and DPS classes can not take out mobs fast enough to warrant the removal of a main tank from the group. Plus, healer mana gets drained much faster when non-plate wearers tank mobs.

I do agree that a vast majority of warriors do not make good tanks. They want to be "DPS machines". If they try to do that, then they must abandon a lot of what is required for them to be the main tank. A warrior duel weilding in berzerk or battle stance is just a weak rogue imho. While a good tanking warrior does not necessary need to be specced for protection (although it does help some for sure) they do need to be in defensive stance and be using 1-handed + shield to be the best "tank" they can be. When the healer's mana is not being stretched, they can always change stances and switch to dual wielding. Nothing wrong with that. But when its time to buckle down and get through a tough battle, thats when a real tank knows what he needs to do.
malichai11 wrote: Or, even worse, when they run up to something I just STARTED mining and interupt and start mining it themselves. Bastards.
Hmm, I have never had a problem like this. If I start mining something and someone comes up to it and trys to mine it also, I always seem to be able to get the next 1-3 strikes on the mine. I thought there was code in the game that addressed this (like the mine is "reserved" for you for a few seconds after you have already looted off of it once.)
Odin

Post by Odin »

Gedd wrote: the mobs pop back pretty quickly so I wasn't really hurting anyone too much.
I think they may have bumped up the respawn even higher in the true newb areas (Goldshire, The Den, Deathknell, etc.), but throughout the game they use a process that respawns mobs faster the faster they're killed. So if you're in a level 14-ish area with a level 30+ mage nuking everything in sight, killing 5-6 at a time, you should find them popping back in pretty quickly. The same would apply at any level, in any area (except instances, of course).

Sith