Operation Flashpoint again

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

IamChuckles

Operation Flashpoint again

Post by IamChuckles »

I am interested in starting a new round of Operation Flashpoint. I understand there are a ton of mods available for it including some new graphics upgrades. Similar to what we got for Morrowind what are some mods that make the experience greater without changing the game. I have both expansions already.
As I write this I remember one of the coolest moments in the opening game where everything falls apart and paratroopers are dropping around your head. To me Operation Flashpoint has some very intense gaming moments. I never got much into the expansions because the difficulty ramped up.
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

It is definitely not a "running with agunzablazing" game 8)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I don't know where to find mods anymore, but there are some amazing ones out there.
I downloaded probably 500MBs of mods a few months ago and couldn't get the game to run after that.
There was also a graphical mod released that really prettied up the game. Again, I forgot where I saw it, but it is worth tracking down.

I really wish we could get some OO online play going. This game really is the best online game I've ever played, though it is very difficult to find online games.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just about anything you want to know about Op:Flash can be found at The Avon Lady's website.

There was some nasty bug introduced with one of the patches that could potentially wipe your hard drive while playing a multiplayer game -- so do make sure you have the most current updates.

Beating the original Op:Flash was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my gaming career. I started playing the expansion but was distracted by something else.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Smoove_B wrote:Beating the original Op:Flash was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my gaming career. I started playing the expansion but was distracted by something else.
Same here. It is up in the top 5 of my favorite ever games.
I admitt, though, I had to cheat on the "Steal the Papers" mission. I walked through the walls that had clipping issues.
-AttAdude
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Eduardo X wrote: Same here. It is up in the top 5 of my favorite ever games.
I admitt, though, I had to cheat on the "Steal the Papers" mission. I walked through the walls that had clipping issues.
That mission took me at least 2 hours of real time to beat, as I remember. Very, very tense gaming. I didn't even know there were cheats...or I was enjoying myself too much to try.

I literally crawled the ENTIRE map. Down to the house and then back up again.

It's too bad it was a bit much to get used to. A lot of my LAN buddies didn't get into it because of the difficult controls and the realisitic shooting model.

The one cool thing we did was skin the models with our own faces - so when we had co-op MP missions you would actually SEE your friends. It took the game to whole new levels.

We would load up the "Battlefield" map and just keep playing, over and over, trying to beat it.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Smoove_B wrote:
Eduardo X wrote: Same here. It is up in the top 5 of my favorite ever games.
That mission took me at least 2 hours of real time to beat, as I remember. Very, very tense gaming. I didn't even know there were cheats...or I was enjoying myself too much to try.

I literally crawled the ENTIRE map. Down to the house and then back up again.

It's too bad it was a bit much to get used to. A lot of my LAN buddies didn't get into it because of the difficult controls and the realisitic shooting model.

The one cool thing we did was skin the models with our own faces - so when we had co-op MP missions you would actually SEE your friends. It took the game to whole new levels.

We would load up the "Battlefield" map and just keep playing, over and over, trying to beat it.
It was more of a glitch I exploited than a cheat.

I once had a friend in college come over and we played the demo map for probably 4 hours, each just taking a turn and trying to beat it. That demo is the best demo I've ever seen, btw! Every time I've played it, which is probably 100 times, its been different. So fun!

I can't wait for OFP2!
-AttAdude
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Eduardo X wrote:I can't wait for OFP2!
Oh...but you will. Fall of 2006. I'm a bit nervous that it's been delayed (allegedly) because of a redesign to accomodate a simultaneous XBox release.

I won't stop whoring in this thread until someone comes in and tells me they've reinstalled it. :)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Smoove_B wrote:
Oh...but you will. Fall of 2006. I'm a bit nervous that it's been delayed (allegedly) because of a redesign to accomodate a simultaneous XBox release.

I won't stop whoring in this thread until someone comes in and tells me they've reinstalled it. :)
Same here.

I listed the "Alone in the Woods" mission as my most intense and immersive gaming experience and I got a reply that it was somebody's most hated experience, the one that got them to stop playing the game.
What'd you think of that mission?
-AttAdude
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Eduardo X wrote: I listed the "Alone in the Woods" mission as my most intense and immersive gaming experience and I got a reply that it was somebody's most hated experience, the one that got them to stop playing the game.
One of the best gaming moments ever. After escaping into the woods, it was just damn cool to really *feel* like I was out in the woods with absolutely nothing to go on but the night sky.

I like format changes like that in games -- for example I'm playing Riddick now (on PC) and the game switched over from a run and gun to total stealth. Then out of no where it switches back to giving you weapons (a powered mech suit) and you can finally get some revenge.

Crawling around the landscape in the "Alone in the Woods" mission was great - running from tree to tree, watching for patrols -- the whole time wondering if I was going in the right direction.

It really evoked true fear -- not some cheap attempt like DOOM 3.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Actually, smoove, I was talking about the first alone in the woods one, the one where you have your gun.
But the one you were talking about, that's also one of the best!
I better play this when I get home. Mercenaries keeps reminding me of this game, and what better way to remember it than by playing?
-AttAdude
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Eduardo X wrote:Actually, smoove, I was talking about the first alone in the woods one, the one where you have your gun.
But the one you were talking about, that's also one of the best!
Ahhh...when you're separated from your squad, after the ambush?

You might as well not have a gun for all the trouble it causes if you shoot it. :)

I remember doing that one too -- just creeping around the woods, avoiding patrols and heading towards the little town to steal a car.

Dammit. I don't have time to reinstall this game...but now I might have to as well. :D
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

Install the Y2K3 mod. This visually enhances the game and also updates the uniforms and weapons to modern day.

Another good site is:

http://www.gotf.net/
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

That's the place!
Man, what a plethora of mods!
-AttAdude
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Goonch wrote:Install the Y2K3 mod. This visually enhances the game and also updates the uniforms and weapons to modern day.

Another good site is:

http://www.gotf.net/
I think that's the one that kept crashing my game.

I had this weird error once where the Avon Lady made me cut off parts of my files to get the game to actually run.
-AttAdude
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

Codemasters is selling the GOTY (includes all expansions) for 10 bones. They also say if you sign up for thier codemasters club thingie (read spam mail service) they will give you 10 bones off of your first purchase. Not sure if that means you can get it free but im about to find out.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Elenkis

Post by Elenkis »

I won't stop whoring in this thread until someone comes in and tells me they've reinstalled it.
I would reinstall it if I had ever uninstalled it, however it instead has a permanant place on my harddrive. I'll go play it though :)

If I were being honest I would probably have to say it's my favourite game ever. And with the expansions, user missions and mods there is more content then you could ever possibly need.

We should all play some co-op together sometime.
Codemasters is selling the GOTY (includes all expansions) for 10 bones.
That's the best value for money gaming deal ever, seriously.
www.thief-thecircle.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Lets plan a night and do some OFP Co-op.

Are there mods we shall all be using?
-AttAdude
IamChuckles

Post by IamChuckles »

What are the basic mods? I simply want to keep the same gameplay but upgrade textures and so forth. I looked at the cz website but I could not find just a retexturing mod.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yeah, I installed it....tried it...loved it...but then set it aside for something else.

But it has remained on my HD
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Lets play tonight!
Anybody up for it?
-AttAdude
Ned Flanders

Post by Ned Flanders »

Have any of you seen VBS1?

It is an upgraded OpFor used by the Australian miliatary. I believe you need to create your own missions although there are probably some available online somewhere. Gonna cost you some $ too but it sure looks awesome.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

VBS1... I can't imagine! So fun!
-AttAdude
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Yeah, great game. I agree that finishing that game was one of my erm, 'proudest' gaming moments ever. I really felt like I had done something after I won.

Didnt much care for the helicopter bit though; waaaaaayyy too tough to control.

Id definitely put it in my Top 5 of All Time.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Ahh OPF is the highest ranking game in my "gaming-life" only threathened by Mafia,H&D and the R6 series.

If you want to play the game now be sure to get the "Finnish defence force" mod which is the first total conversion mod for the game..awesome.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Archangel wrote:Ahh OPF is the highest ranking game in my "gaming-life" only threathened by Mafia,H&D and the R6 series.

If you want to play the game now be sure to get the "Finnish defence force" mod which is the first total conversion mod for the game..awesome.
I'm downloading it as I type this.
-AttAdude
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Eduardo X wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:

Same here.

I listed the "Alone in the Woods" mission as my most intense and immersive gaming experience and I got a reply that it was somebody's most hated experience, the one that got them to stop playing the game.
That was probably me, Ed. I LOATHE that mission. I liked a lot of the other missions just fine, but that mission almost had me flinging my mouse through the screen. ICK. I just didn't have the apparent patience you need for it.

I loved the game when it tried it's hand at (semi) large-scale battles with your squad. I hated it when it went to sneaky/stealthy you-against-the-rest-of-the-world gameplay. Maybe because I had the distinct impression that the line of sight of the AI was cheating. (I mean, I sometimes didn't see a MOVING soldier at a distance. They'd see me when I was lying perfectly still. Grr.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
IamChuckles

Post by IamChuckles »

I finally found what I believe I was looking for. Has anyone used Kegetys DXDLL? I understand it forces the use of pixel shaders. Has anyone used one of the many new island graphics (winter and so forth)?
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

IamChuckles wrote:I finally found what I believe I was looking for. Has anyone used Kegetys DXDLL? I understand it forces the use of pixel shaders.
Its a bit of a hack and your still dealing with an old game, however its does clean things up a bit. I believe Resistence is required for the pixel shader bit to work, looks lovely though.
Goonch

Post by Goonch »

New version, 7.0, of Y2K3 mod is out as per main page of:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Goonch wrote:New version, 7.0, of Y2K3 mod is out as per main page of:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/
Maybe I should try this out again....
-AttAdude
IamChuckles

Post by IamChuckles »

When I try to install OpFlash again it asks for a CD key. Where is the CD key located again? I know it is not on the CD case because I looked.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

IamChuckles wrote:When I try to install OpFlash again it asks for a CD key. Where is the CD key located again? I know it is not on the CD case because I looked.
IIRC it's printed inside the first or last page of the manual.
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

The cd-key....lmao when I first got the game I actually got it like 3 days before the world wide release....when I entered the cd-key it didn`t work.

So I cursed myself and the game for a while until I found out I had mistaken the 0 for an O....lmao oh my god :lol:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I am also a hater of the "woods" scenario (the first one). I picked up OFP earlier this year again, after many years of neglect, and made it to that scenario, but got pissed off because of the what seemed to me to be an impossible mission.

I am not one to reduce the difficulty of a game to get past a mission either, or use a cheat to skip a mission...just not my style. Instead, unfortunately, I move on to other games.

I rarely get frustrated with the difficulty of a game, but that mission does it for me.

Is the freaking solution to never fire your weapon? Maybe I am not being sneaky enough... I can easily get through the woods, but I have the most problems in the open spaces, and near to the towns. One wrong move and you are toast buddy (which is one aspect I normally enjoy about the game...the realism)

I truly love the game, and the early scenario where you are a sniper that has to lay roadside bombs for an advancing convoy was pure genius, and fun as hell.
storz

Post by storz »

In regards to the first "wood" mission: I think there are several ways to do it, you can hide in the forest and advance time 4X, I think about one hour out, there will be fog moving in, that's when you make you move through the open spaces. Or go back to the town (Privon??), there is a Jeep there, steal that and haul ass to the meeting point, just be careful of BMP and tank. Or just crawl all the way to the meeting point, it can be done, but it is hard to do without cover.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

storz wrote:In regards to the first "wood" mission: I think there are several ways to do it, you can hide in the forest and advance time 4X, I think about one hour out, there will be fog moving in, that's when you make you move through the open spaces. Or go back to the town (Privon??), there is a Jeep there, steal that and haul ass to the meeting point, just be careful of BMP and tank. Or just crawl all the way to the meeting point, it can be done, but it is hard to do without cover.
Hmmm... I always kicked ass the first few minutes, hid in the forest, then crawled to the edge of the forest. From there, I booked it to the next forest, and then to the next.
-AttAdude
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

This Finish Defense Forces mod is pretty good, but kind of buggy! I'm stuck on a mission where I just don't know what to do and I seem to break the scripting, somehow.
-AttAdude
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

When this game first came out, it was around the time Ghost Recon first came out, at least the same year I believe. While I love GR, I had always thought that OFP was heads and shoulders above it. It boggled my mind when PC Gamer panned OFP and basically said it sucked compared to GR.