Amazon Kindle

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Amazon Kindle

Post by Jeff V »

This may be the first year of my long and pointless life that I haven't bought a single book -- digital or otherwise. I've gotten plenty of new books this year, and the backlog of books I'm obliged to read (free copies in return for written reviews) will not be caught up before the end of the year.

Now, I don't know if you can do this with the regular Kindle tablets, but with the Fire versions you can install the Overdrive app, which allows you to connect to libraries you are a member of and check out books without actually setting foot in a library.

Question though -- is it possible to resell eBooks that you own? After moving in to my current house, I put my entire physical library up for sale, and it's slowly melting away (sold 2 books for a combined $60 this morning, woot!) I can't imagine that reselling ebooks would be anything but shady at best, though.

Another question -- is there any sort of app (or Kindle plug-in or Kindle feature I don't know about) that allows you organize ebooks? Now that my inventory is in the hundreds, finding what I have on particular subjects is becoming a real chore.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re:

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:
Pointer wrote:Steve Jobs weighs in on the Kindle:
"It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore," he said. "Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore."
Seriously? 40% of the US read one book or less last year? People don't read anymore? What is he smoking?

EDIT: Source.
I believe it. I'm a pretty well educated guy with a cushy desk job and I go years at a time without reading a book, then I will read 3-4 books and go yaers again without. My wife is the same way. I've read hundreds of books I just don't take the time to do it much anymore.
Fast forward nearly 8 years and I read books pretty much constantly now specifically *because* of the kindle (the kindle app technically, but the kindle got me there).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I went from reading about 1 book a year (seriously) to about 15 because I got a Kindle. I also love that I can buy all the books I want and not have to worry about the space they will take up in my house.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

It's funny how that Jobs quote makes it seem like 40% of the USA is 40% of the world. I mean thats what 120 million people read 1 book or less. To me that still left an enormous amount of people both in the US and elsewhere who could choose to read.

Reading still seems very popular, sure we all know people who don't read like we know people that don't watch movies, play games, drink, smoke, eat meat etc but it's no reason to write it off.

It seems a lot of people have the Kindle app on their phone and plenty still read real books along with those that read using ereaders.

Choice is always good.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote: Now, I don't know if you can do this with the regular Kindle tablets, but with the Fire versions you can install the Overdrive app, which allows you to connect to libraries you are a member of and check out books without actually setting foot in a library.
I can check out Kindle books from my library's website, without having any app on my Kindle (or in the case of my old Kindle, without even having wi-fi capability, it only has 3G, which isn't compatible with the library's checkout system - I have to connect it with a cable to transfer the file).
Jeff V wrote: Another question -- is there any sort of app (or Kindle plug-in or Kindle feature I don't know about) that allows you organize ebooks? Now that my inventory is in the hundreds, finding what I have on particular subjects is becoming a real chore.
Kindle lets you create folders to organize the books, I think Kindle Fire has something called Cloud Collections which works similarly.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gilraen wrote:Kindle lets you create folders to organize the books, I think Kindle Fire has something called Cloud Collections which works similarly.
!!! how did I not know this?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't know, but I find it hilarious.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote:
gilraen wrote:Kindle lets you create folders to organize the books, I think Kindle Fire has something called Cloud Collections which works similarly.
!!! how did I not know this?
I will have to look into this as well. Thanks!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:Another question -- is there any sort of app (or Kindle plug-in or Kindle feature I don't know about) that allows you organize ebooks? Now that my inventory is in the hundreds, finding what I have on particular subjects is becoming a real chore.
Calibre.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Another question -- is there any sort of app (or Kindle plug-in or Kindle feature I don't know about) that allows you organize ebooks? Now that my inventory is in the hundreds, finding what I have on particular subjects is becoming a real chore.
Calibre.
I have that installed on my work computer (which I use to Kindlize non-Kindle ebooks, something I've apparently done 5 times as there is 5 books listed in the app). Is there an app that works in Android? The website doesn't seem to mention one.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I did order a battery kit from Amazon. I'm really happy to be able to just continue using my Kindle. So thanks, HBA! :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I got an offer from my Amazon rewards card this am to buy a Kindle base, Paperwhite, or Fire tablet at 25% off. If anyone here has been looking for one on the cheap, I could have it shipped to you. I'm guessing just after they were 15-20% off for Black Friday there's not any interest, but thought I'd toss it out there.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is this also the Fire thread? If not, lemme know and I will delete and repost.

If I understand correctly (and it's hard to just do that, given the chaos, and the fact that Amazon still lists discontinued models in SOME of its comparos, and has multiple comparos):

To get an equivalent Retina-beating screen of the older 7" HDX Fire, you have to pay $430 now? Screw that man, at that price, it's a no brainer to get an iPad.

It looks like there is a ton of low cost, low quality (both screen and build, from what I have read in reviews) options now, or a couple of really high end options that only a crazy person would pick over an equivalently priced iPad (me included, and I am much more Amazon-centric than I am Apple). Absolutely nothing in the middle anymore.

To make matters worse, the high end of the "low end" models make you choose between size, SD card capability, and screen resolution. If you want the best screen, you lose SD card ability, and size (6"). If you want the 8" sized screen, you get awful resolution and ppi (I hesitate to bring that acronym back up, but there it is).

As a comparison:

My old HDX 7
16GB
1920x1200 (323 ppi)
$195 at time of purchase
7" screen

New Fire HD 6
16GB
1280x800 (252 ppi)
$100
6" screen

New Fire HD 8
16GB
1280x800 (189 ppi)
$149
8" screen

If you want a screen as nice as the previous gen Fires, your lowest price option is $429! So it goes from $150 to $429! Nuts.

They really need to add some options in the middle, IMO...their high end stuff does not justify the price, and competes directly with an iPad, and the low end stuff has generally poorer specs than their older gen models (but admittedly, at much lower price points).

At the end of all this, I picked the HD6 primarily due to the screen. Going backwards in that dept. from the previous gen HDX already doesn't sit well with me, so the choice was between much worse screen quality vs. MUCH MUCH worse screen quality. :D

Whew. I feel better!
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I was really disappointed with Amazon's direction too. It seemed like they were going to take on Apple with high-quality devices at great prices in the hopes that consumers would use those devices to buy more from Amazon. I was very happy with that sell. Now they've shifted to inexpensive tablets that have markedly inferior specs. They were hitting home runs two years ago and now they seem to be happy with a sacrifice fly.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

HD series with 1280x800 is called HD because Amazon still have the "regular" Fire, which is 1024x600. :D

Amazon still have HDX refurbs... but only the 8.9. WiFi only refurb is as low as $219.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jeff V wrote:$199 @ Staples
That's the 7 incher. The $219 I mentioned refurb was the 8.9 incher.

And $68 for the origami case which was $20 on launch? Ouch. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It seemed he was looking for a new replacement 7" HDX.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I am not against refurbs for certain items, but would not personally touch a refurb Kindle Fire...even when new, they can be quirky, hardware-wise.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, my wife wanted to pick up a couple of refurbs for the kids, but then I reminded her that they already have access to her original Kindle Fire which they never play with because it's so slow and quirky. So why we would want to acquire two more is beyond me.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well, they are CHEAP. :D That's the primary reason I am buying another one...and for kids who are quite breaksy (and have a history of iPad dropping, to boot), it's an even better fit.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My baby's HDX has rubber baby bumpers that so far have worked great -- when he gets mad and throws it, it just bounces. It does nothing to protect the screen from daddy's knee when left on the car seat though. :oops:
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Does the HDX really matter for such a significant upcharge, vs. an HD model? I mean, there's only so much screen quality you can get out of a 7" screen anyway, why pay an extra $50-$100 for a previous-gen model?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When the HDX was released they made a big deal about the quality of the speakers. I have a second generation Fire and an HDX and the speakers on both are excellent. I don't know how good the speakers are on the new models.

I also can't say how sharp the screen will be to my eye, but the screen on the HDX is pretty awesome. If you plan on using the tablet for reading that screen resolution might make a bit of difference to you.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gilraen wrote:Does the HDX really matter for such a significant upcharge, vs. an HD model? I mean, there's only so much screen quality you can get out of a 7" screen anyway, why pay an extra $50-$100 for a previous-gen model?
If you value a leading class screen, then yes, though I would argue that's ALL it has going for it...the interface, and various other quirks would make me go the iPad route any day in that price point. Not even mentioning the Apple app store vs. the cut down Amazon app store (which most people would consider first, more than hardware I think).

It was one of the reasons when we discussed reading platforms, what was better, a Kindle Paperwhite, or this crazy hi-res screen...many ppl thought I was nuts because I said I preferred this screen over the Paperwhite. I think those same people had not actually SEEN this model, though. :P It's that awesome and clear.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

McNutt wrote:When the HDX was released they made a big deal about the quality of the speakers. I have a second generation Fire and an HDX and the speakers on both are excellent. I don't know how good the speakers are on the new models.
For the base model 7" complete crap compared to the original HD.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I listen to a lot of music on my HDX through the speakers when I try to calm my baby. I also watch a lot of shows/movies through Prime, so I wouldn't be willing to skimp on the speakers or resolution.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote:I listen to a lot of music on my HDX through the speakers when I try to calm my baby. I also watch a lot of shows/movies through Prime, so I wouldn't be willing to skimp on the speakers or resolution.
Yeah, the HD6 I just bought (current gen!) has a mono speaker, believe it or not. I considered that, because moving to the HD8 gives you a stereo speaker, but again, you lose the higher res screen of the 6.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fire HD 6 looks fine, resolution-wise.

OTOH, managing, editing/adding a second profile to your account for a second kid, with Freetime, etc. is a freaking nightmare. BOO Amazon, BOOO!

I know this, after being on Amazon cust svc chat for the past 2 hours. I will not be buying anymore Fire's going forward. Sorry, son, you will be on some different OS from your sisters. Not going through this crap again.
:grund: :grund: :grund:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just curious, but what was the Free time problem? It's worked fine for me so far, though I haven't done a ton with it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
McNutt wrote:I listen to a lot of music on my HDX through the speakers when I try to calm my baby. I also watch a lot of shows/movies through Prime, so I wouldn't be willing to skimp on the speakers or resolution.
Yeah, the HD6 I just bought (current gen!) has a mono speaker, believe it or not. I considered that, because moving to the HD8 gives you a stereo speaker, but again, you lose the higher res screen of the 6.

What about pairing it with bluetooth speakers? Would that be an option for you guys?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:Just curious, but what was the Free time problem? It's worked fine for me so far, though I haven't done a ton with it.
Apparently they have not thought about people who want to buy 2 Kindles, and have two Freetime accounts in the same family. It's a shared thing. And I have one 11 YO and one 8 YO. They have an option now for "teen" Freetime, but I would say it's on the verge. Anyway...they are interested in completely different content, and apparently there is no easy way to do that.

Just frustrating to spend so long (and deleting my daughter's profile and data in the process) and to get to the end of it and for them to say "nope, you can't do that". Argh.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ah, yes that would suck. I've only got one kid old enough to use it, so I haven't run into that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My baby figured out how to use his to turn on the TV via the Fire Stick. He also figured out how to buy something (I thought it was locked out)...and that something was season 1 of Caillou for $15 :x At least he could have bought something that was so ubiquitous and free everywhere.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL....HATE that smarmy, pretentious bald kid. :D Luckily none of my three kids were big fans.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Just curious, but what was the Free time problem? It's worked fine for me so far, though I haven't done a ton with it.
Apparently they have not thought about people who want to buy 2 Kindles, and have two Freetime accounts in the same family. It's a shared thing. And I have one 11 YO and one 8 YO. They have an option now for "teen" Freetime, but I would say it's on the verge. Anyway...they are interested in completely different content, and apparently there is no easy way to do that.
My 9 and 6 year olds each have their own Fires with their own profiles in Freetime with their own settings and content.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
My 9 and 6 year olds each have their own Fires with their own profiles in Freetime with their own settings and content.
Can you please teach Amazon customer support how you achieved that? They really should know.

Do you have two, single Freetime Unlimited accounts, or the family plan?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Separate unlimited subs that came with the kindle fire kids editions last year... so I didn't do much of anything except set up the profiles when the tablets arrived. The tablets were already registered to my account when they arrived so it was just setting up the profiles.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I dont know if this would be any help but its a pretty comprehensive guide to how to set up and use free time for multiple children:

http://www.howtogeek.com/178303/how-to- ... -freetime/
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

AWESOME. thankyouthankyouthankyou