Amazon Kindle

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Amazon Kindle

Post by Jeff V »

I will have to try that, if every I can pry it from his hands while there is still charge left in the battery.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, to followup on the battery replacement.. Err well, I ended up buying the Kindle 2 Battery. Only to find out that what I do have is a Kindle 3. I knew it of course, but it had been too long since I had got it. I just forgot it was the 3, and the Kindle 2 battery is not the same size. The body itself is more uniform, with no rectangular cover at the top. So mine is the Kindle3, which is often called the Kindle Keyboard. Off to order a different battery.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

rshetts2 wrote:I dont know if this would be any help but its a pretty comprehensive guide to how to set up and use free time for multiple children:

http://www.howtogeek.com/178303/how-to- ... -freetime/
OK, I finally tried this yesterday, and Freetime seems to arbitrarily block certain activities. The kid can no longer launch videos liked from inside applications, he was really getting frustrated with it last night. I went as far as to enable everything except purchasing and Mayday -- and still, it says Freetime prohibits this action.

Looks like I'll have to go back to letting him use my account. He bought another damn TV show yesterday. :x
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote:
rshetts2 wrote: Looks like I'll have to go back to letting him use my account. He bought another damn TV show yesterday. :x
Just get him into Game of Thrones. Once he's done with that he should have good enough taste that you can trust him to buy decent shows from then on.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
rshetts2 wrote: Looks like I'll have to go back to letting him use my account. He bought another damn TV show yesterday. :x
Just get him into Game of Thrones. Once he's done with that he should have good enough taste that you can trust him to buy decent shows from then on.
He used to watch Walking Dead with me, but we both seem to have lost interest in that one.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ender's Games trilogy, maybe? The ones after that seems a bit too... farmed out.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kasey Chang wrote:Ender's Games trilogy, maybe? The ones after that seems a bit too... farmed out.
If it has anything to do with Orson Scott Card, then hell no.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Following the theft, my Sister gifted me a Kindle (7th Gen, low res version), and it's got a bevel on the back. Can anyone recommend a case for it? I had looked at a number of cases, including one I really liked that had a vintage book feel to it, but realized it wouldn't fit this version of the kindle via the reviews. The way Amazon names their Kindles via different versions of the same device make it somewhat confusing to search for.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm a dum-dum. For whatever reason, I kept thinking my new one was a paperwhite and mixing up the search terms, and it's no wonder I had so much trouble trying to find a case for it. It's a 7th-Gen Kindle, sometimes referred to as the Touch. I've ordered a case for it tonight:

http://www.amazon.ca/Kindle-Case-SmartS ... 00UHACP0G/

Bought the bronze version.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've ordered Fintie stuff before. Their quality is only "so-so". I have two cases from them, I think... My Nexus 7 (2013) Folio, and my current silicone case for my Fire HD 4th gen. The folio case is a pretty generic one and never fitted that well, but it does cover. The silicone one is also a bit... "loose", but that's the nature of silicone cases with no plastic reinforcements.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I think I've read that the quality is not that great in the reviews. I would have gone with Poetic as I've been happy with their products in the past, but I guess I wanted something a bit fancier looking this time around. I'll just get a different one if I end up not being happy with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, so I finally got my Fintie Cover. Took a little while longer than I thought it would, though I know why now, as it came all the way from Sweden. This puzzled me as the HQ is in Ohio and would have been much cheaper and faster to ship from there.

Anyway, the version I ordered is a smartshell cover, meaning that it wakes up when I open the cover. Nice. But I just wonder how that's going to affect battery life since it seems to bypass having to press the power button. Not sure how they do it. I'm very happy with it. Quality seems to be quite good and feels solid. Fits well, and it looks good.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kindles on sale for Prime members. Voyage is $50 off, Paperwhite is $30 off.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Zaxxon wrote:Kindles on sale for Prime members. Voyage is $50 off, Paperwhite is $30 off.
And now we know why!
Jeff Bezos, on Twitter, wrote:Heads up readers – all-new, top of the line Kindle almost ready. 8th generation. Details next week.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I wonder how long the dead battery screen can stay on. It's been at least 6 months since I touched the thing; every time I look it at though, it forlornly displays that all too common "Please connect to a charger" screen.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fretmute wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Kindles on sale for Prime members. Voyage is $50 off, Paperwhite is $30 off.
And now we know why!
Jeff Bezos, on Twitter, wrote:Heads up readers – all-new, top of the line Kindle almost ready. 8th generation. Details next week.
I had a feeling when I saw the sale, but good to know. That said, unless they're about to unleash color e-ink screens at a $100 price, it's hard to go wrong with the discounted current-gen Paperwhite.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

There's only so much further they can go without color, and I don't give a rat's ass about color. My Kindle is for books only.

Maybe we'll see higher resolution and better page turn buttons. I haven't had any experience with the Voyage buttons, so I can't say if they're good or bad. I lOVED the buttons on the Kindle keyboard though, so I'd be ecstatic to see those return.

Maybe they'll add solar panels to it and claim that it never needs charging.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Unless they start making a 9.7" model again, I'm out. My next purchase is most likely going to be a 1st gen DX 9.7 model off of Ebay since I can't find mine anywhere in the house, and it's been at least a year since I've last seen it. I hate that Amazon stopped making them when they first introduced Kindle Fire tablets - the whole point of an ebook reader is to *not* read on a backlit screen, a 9.7" tablet is not a viable replacement!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

McNutt wrote:Maybe we'll see higher resolution and better page turn buttons. I haven't had any experience with the Voyage buttons, so I can't say if they're good or bad.
They're serviceable, but since they are just touch-sensitive areas on the border of the Kindle, I wind up just tapping the screen instead. I wish they would make actual BUTTONS. I don't care if it doesn't look as sleek - I read in the pitch dark, and the ability to feel a solid button to push under my finger would be nice.

I can't think of much of anything they could add to a new version that would make me replace the Voyage. I do love the higher resolution over the Paperwhite (which is the primary reason I bought it), but I do think the Voyage was overpriced for what it offered.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Voyage is no longer higher resolution.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Jeff V wrote:I wonder how long the dead battery screen can stay on. It's been at least 6 months since I touched the thing; every time I look it at though, it forlornly displays that all too common "Please connect to a charger" screen.
It can stay on forever. It only takes power to change the picture, not to maintain it. Think of it as an Etch-a-Sketch that can use electricity to automatically draw pictures if it so desires.
Insert witty comment here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

TiLT wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I wonder how long the dead battery screen can stay on. It's been at least 6 months since I touched the thing; every time I look it at though, it forlornly displays that all too common "Please connect to a charger" screen.
It can stay on forever. It only takes power to change the picture, not to maintain it. Think of it as an Etch-a-Sketch that can use electricity to automatically draw pictures if it so desires.
I suspected as much.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my 2nd and 3rd Gen 3G Kindles are still going strong. the glowy backlight would be nice, but i'm good with not upgrading.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

hitbyambulance wrote:my 2nd and 3rd Gen 3G Kindles are still going strong. the glowy backlight would be nice, but i'm good with not upgrading.
note that its not a back light on the paperwhite/voyage. It's actually an LED front light built into the sides of the unit and doesn't have the eyestrain issues of back lit devices.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

O ye who prefereth physical page turns buttons, rejoice! New Kindle Oasis on the horizon:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/11/11407 ... s-features

"Sure, it's a bit unsightly, but I can see the appeal; it's probably more comfortable to hold one-handed, and those large page turn buttons mean you'll never have to gunk up the screen with fingerprints."
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I like this a lot because it looks really easy to hold.

My main concerns:
1. Does the screen auto rotate?
2. If so, do the page buttons automatically switch when you flip the screen? So when I switch the Kindle from my right to my left hand, flipping it to do so, is the page forward button going to now be where I want it?
3. I don't use a case for my Kindle. Is this thing going to be handicapped without one?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

They tackled my 2 biggest issues with specific Kindle readers in this model, apparently (and the reason I don't use one):

"The Oasis features a 300ppi screen, matching the Kindle Voyage in terms of sharpness and text clarity, and apparently there's been a 60 percent increase in the number of LEDs inside, so the backlighting should be even more uniform when you're reading in the dark."

If the price is right, I might have to pick one up. I LOVE the big chunky part for your hand - that is brilliant, and is really my only complaint about reading on my iPhone. Like the difference between taking pics with a big, intentionally chunky designed DSLR vs. say a phone....just a completely different experience.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Those are definitely good features. The problem is I own a Paperwhite and it's going to take a compelling price to get me to upgrade. Hopefully they won't price it at $200 and will instead try to make money off the cases, which is fine by me since I don't use one.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not enough to get me to upgrade my Voyage, but I like the direction they're going.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that's still using a 2010 Kindle Keyboard, this seems like it was designed to entice me to upgrade.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Smoove_B wrote:As someone that's still using a 2010 Kindle Keyboard, this seems like it was designed to entice me to upgrade.
The voyage did me who is also still using a Keyboard Kindle but at £169 it's way too much. I am hoping the Oasis will reduce the Voyage down to £100 which is the most I would want to spend
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pre-orders and details are up -- and at $290 I'm out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, my Paperwhite is fine - I see no reason to upgrade (especially at that price). I wonder how much it would be without the case. $175-199?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

It looked like everything I wanted but wow, $300 is way too much for me. If they wanted $300 out of me they shouldn't have made the Paperwhite so awesome at such a low price.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Wow, that's a fail IMO.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

wonderpug wrote:It looked like everything I wanted but wow, $300 is way too much for me. If they wanted $300 out of me they shouldn't have made the Paperwhite so awesome at such a low price.
Or created a device that I've been able to use for 6 years now without a problem. I guess they didn't give their engineers the memo on planned obsolescence. :D But seriously, if something happened to my existing Kindle I'd suck it up and just get the $120 Paperwhite. I like buttons but not for $300.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:
wonderpug wrote:It looked like everything I wanted but wow, $300 is way too much for me. If they wanted $300 out of me they shouldn't have made the Paperwhite so awesome at such a low price.
Or created a device that I've been able to use for 6 years now without a problem. I guess they didn't give their engineers the memo on planned obsolescence. :D But seriously, if something happened to my existing Kindle I'd suck it up and just get the $120 Paperwhite. I like buttons but not for $300.
Same here. All three 'non-shit' models are now 300 PPI. So in the factor that matters the most by far, the $290 Oasis is equal to the $120 Paperwhite. I see they're touting better lighting, but the first-gen Paperwhite's lighting is just fine. The current Paperwhite has to be pretty good.

So basically $170 additional to go an extra few weeks without a charge (oh, have mercy) and get page turn buttons? No thanks; I'll buy the next-gen Paperwhite if mine dies and have $50 in my pocket for more books.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Who in the hell is the target for this device? I'm a die-hard Kindle guy and I can't fathom that price tag.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's insane. I thought paying $200 for the Voyage was an extravagance, and the only reason I did that was that it was a huge upgrade over my old Kindle and the extra resolution was super important.....AND I had some extra money from some on-call pay.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I guess they're hoping some people will think it's not that big of a jump considering it comes with a case. I've never actually met those people though.
Last edited by McNutt on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dang. I assumed the 300 ppi was an improvement over the Paperwhite. Seeing that it's the same, I will continue using the Kindle reading app on my iPhone.

Booo, Amazon, booo! Wake me up when you create a cheap, high-res reading device with big chunky page turn buttons. :D