Amazon Kindle

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Amazon Kindle

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:03 am I find it to be far better to read on a Kindle. The Paperwhite is the one I'd recommend.
Seconded. I don't read to fall asleep, but my wife does. She can set the backlight very low and has no trouble passing out with the Kindle propped on a pillow next to her.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Thanks. Is there a big different in various years? There are used paperwhites on ebay for $40+. 5th and up. Looks like Amazon is currently selling the 10th generation.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The Paperwhite has over the years seen an increase in screen resolution and the newest version is as good as the top model (the very sexy Oasis). It also is waterproof and can play Audible books too.

Kindles are just incredible and I think they are worth every penny. I would spend a little bit extra to get a new Paperwhite. You will not be sorry*

I started reading a ton more once I got my first Kindle (I'm on my third and only because I keep upgrading). I went from reading 1-2 books a year to 15. It was just too easy to have my entire library with me and read at night without disturbing anyone.

*McNutt Gurantee
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm Thanks. Is there a big different in various years? There are used paperwhites on ebay for $40+. 5th and up. Looks like Amazon is currently selling the 10th generation.
The differences are basically in resolution and storage. The cheaper ones usually have the low-res screen (167 dpi) while the hi-res version of 300 dpi (same as old laser printers). There is also no 9th and 8th gen. The generation refers to "overall" Kindle model generations, not to specific models.

https://uk.amazonforum.com/s/identify-y ... e-e-reader
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm Thanks. Is there a big different in various years? There are used paperwhites on ebay for $40+. 5th and up. Looks like Amazon is currently selling the 10th generation.
The differences are basically in resolution and storage. The cheaper ones usually have the low-res screen (167 dpi) while the hi-res version of 300 dpi (same as old laser printers). There is also no 9th and 8th gen. The generation refers to "overall" Kindle model generations, not to specific models.

https://uk.amazonforum.com/s/identify-y ... e-e-reader
Some of the older ones come with free 3g so you can download books anywhere, and aren't dependent on a wifi connection. Very nice to have if you travel, especially if you don't have wifi tethering available on your phone (you can also purchase newer ones with the feature, of course, but it isn't as prevalent as it was).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

tho i prefer traditional books, e-ink e-readers are now an essential piece of technology for me, and i find them to be more than worth the cost. so don't be afraid to splurge here. that being said, i find old Kindle models are about as good for reading as newer ones. $120 brings a few QOL benefits (most significantly the backlight), but an old used $20 will also serve. i do find the backlighting to be nice - in that case, get the newest model with the non-blue backlight color.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

For me the Voyager (discontinued) was a nice upgrade from my older Paperwhite. The newer Paperwhite seems to have made up the ground, but the key feature for the Voyager was the page turn buttons. It might seems like a small thing, but moving my thumb over to touch the screen on the Paperwhite actually caused discomfort thanks to some crappy thumb joints. It is my biggest first-world problem.

If that's not an issue for you then I would wholeheartedly recommend the Paperwhite.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, previous gen Paperwhite is for sale for $70 on Woot.com
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 pm For me the Voyager (discontinued) was a nice upgrade from my older Paperwhite. The newer Paperwhite seems to have made up the ground, but the key feature for the Voyager was the page turn buttons. It might seems like a small thing, but moving my thumb over to touch the screen on the Paperwhite actually caused discomfort thanks to some crappy thumb joints. It is my biggest first-world problem.

If that's not an issue for you then I would wholeheartedly recommend the Paperwhite.
Kindle Voyage refurbs are still available for 70
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, Paperwhite, I love you, but why, oh why, is your power button on the bottom right where you sit on my finger when I hold you?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have a Kindle Keyboard (3rd gen) that has a pretty dead battery. i really like the page turn buttons on this thing - i am trying to decide if i should get a replacement battery for it.

also,

Kindle Paperwhite 2015 (refurb) $29 @ woot.com

https://www.woot.com/offers/kindle-pape ... xOfDB8WXww

my 2015 has some sort of weird bug where sometimes when you tap the screen to advance, it instead goes back a page. next (updated) e-reader i get is going to have physical buttons.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hitbyambulance wrote:i have a Kindle Keyboard (3rd gen) that has a pretty dead battery. i really like the page turn buttons on this thing - i am trying to decide if i should get a replacement battery for it.

also,

Kindle Paperwhite 2015 (refurb) $29 @ woot.com

https://www.woot.com/offers/kindle-pape ... xOfDB8WXww

my 2015 has some sort of weird bug where sometimes when you tap the screen to advance, it instead goes back a page. next (updated) e-reader i get is going to have physical buttons.
The Oasis models have page turn buttons too. Unfortunately, you posted after the prime day deals on them..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

looks like the ReMarkable kicked off some competition, and now Amazon is onto it:

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

That almost looks like a good product but I'm still holding out for an eink real tablet what I can use to browse OO. I don't care if it can't handle video because of the refresh rate but I want to be able to search for stuff on it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:16 am That almost looks like a good product but I'm still holding out for an eink real tablet what I can use to browse OO. I don't care if it can't handle video because of the refresh rate but I want to be able to search for stuff on it.
https://gizmodo.com/bigme-inknote-color ... 1849441620

e ink tablet with stylus is a market that's starting to coalesce now

https://howchoo.com/e-ink/the-best-e-in ... er-tablets

i nearly got a reMarkable 2 in 2020, but the lack of backlight was a no-go
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The BigMe and Onyx Boox are the two that I've been following as they seem to be the best at actually being a usable Android tablet. They are almost to the point that I would buy them (if I had heard about the kickstarter fast enough to get in on the early pricing I might have gone for a BigMe). Still too rich for my taste and I'm afraid that they are going to continue to be high end products for the foreseeable future.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I posted the below over on the Amazon Kindle forum, since I couldn't find a place on the site otherwise where to go ask. If anyone has any ideas on what to do I'd be grateful.
This is a bit of a bizarre situation. I purchased a Kindle book several years ago. It is still on my Paperwhite, I haven't gotten to it yet. Today, when I tried to load the book on my tablet and phone (I've done the same thing for other books) the search function doesn't find the book in my Library, instead it shows as available for purchase. When I went on my PC and checked my digital content, it doesn't show the book there either. However, I do have the order showing I did buy it, but now the item is no longer hypertexted, although I can find the Kindle version of the book if I do a search. And of course it is on my Paperwhite.

I can't figure out how to get the book back on the digital content list or installed on the mobile apps. Any ideas on what to do here?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It may have been pulled for quality or legal reasons.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:42 pm It may have been pulled for quality or legal reasons.
i had a number of those from slickdeals.net 'free Kindle eBooks!!!' threads - stuff like Python coding books with super basic info, and not very long, extorting you to buy the 'real' book at the end. i even had a copy of _Wuthering Heights_ that was clearly translated into another language, then translated back into English again. those show up as 'no longer available' on the Kindle store, but they let you keep it in your library. (the trash coding books have all been purged from my account, but i had to keep _Blurry Summits_ [which is what the title page actually read])
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:53 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:42 pm It may have been pulled for quality or legal reasons.
i had a number of those from slickdeals.net 'free Kindle eBooks!!!' threads - stuff like Python coding books with super basic info, and not very long, extorting you to buy the 'real' book at the end. i even had a copy of _Wuthering Heights_ that was clearly translated into another language, then translated back into English again. those show up as 'no longer available' on the Kindle store, but they let you keep it in your library. (the trash coding books have all been purged from my account, but i had to keep _Blurry Summits_ [which is what the title page actually read])
Thanks for posting those two replies!

Yeah, this sounds more likely, since it is still on my Paperwhite. It's seven years old and I guess I'll never replace it since there's books on there I can't get back if I replace it :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I guess you are lucky that Amazon didn't just delete it from your Kindle.

You can always download it from the Kindle to your computer and remove DRM so you can put the book on other devices.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gilraen wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:15 pm You can always download it from the Kindle to your computer and remove DRM so you can put the book on other devices.
I'm having trouble with this. I connected my Kindle using a USB cable to my computer but it doesn't show up in "This PC" as a separate drive. I left it attached and restarted the Kindle and it still doesn't show up. Any ideas on what to do here?

Also, per the above discussion, a check of my Kindle says I have 665 books in my account. According to the Kindle app on my phone, I have only 526 book, which lines up with the Digital Content page on the Amazon site. So I have about 140 books I'd really like to back up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh, and I also did a restart of the PC with the Kindle connected, powered up and logged in. Still isn't showing up as a drive.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'd try a different cable.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gilraen wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:41 pm I'd try a different cable.
Did I ever tell you that you are my hero? :D The different cable worked. I pitched the old one.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:41 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:53 am
Thanks for posting those two replies!

Yeah, this sounds more likely, since it is still on my Paperwhite. It's seven years old and I guess I'll never replace it since there's books on there I can't get back if I replace it :roll:
FWIW, courtesy of TheWindowsClub.com, here's a simple guide you can follow that walks you through how to download and remove your eBook DRM using the free Calibre eBook management software:

How to remove eBook DRM with Calibre
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:19 am FWIW, courtesy of TheWindowsClub.com, here's a simple guide you can follow that walks you through how to download and remove your eBook DRM using the free Calibre eBook management software:

See? Sometimes we agree. ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:43 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:19 am FWIW, courtesy of TheWindowsClub.com, here's a simple guide you can follow that walks you through how to download and remove your eBook DRM using the free Calibre eBook management software:

See? Sometimes we agree. ;)
:handgestures-thumbup:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke