[NFL] Redskins' Taylor Dies Day After Shooting

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

[NFL] Redskins' Taylor Dies Day After Shooting

Post by Moliere »

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died early Tuesday, a day after he was shot at home by what police say was an intruder.

Only 24 and to die from a single shot to the leg. How the hell does 50 Cent survive 9 bullet wounds?! Considering this guy had multiple break-ins at his house it will be interesting if they catch the guy and what his connection is to Taylor that he would keep breaking into his house. Finally, don't bring a machete to a gun fight.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There's a major artery in the leg where he got shot. When I heard he got shot there I figured he was done for.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Eightball

Re: [NFL] Redskins' Taylor Dies Day After Shooting

Post by Eightball »

Moliere wrote:Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died early Tuesday, a day after he was shot at home by what police say was an intruder.

Only 24 and to die from a single shot to the leg. How the hell does 50 Cent survive 9 bullet wounds?! Considering this guy had multiple break-ins at his house it will be interesting if they catch the guy and what his connection is to Taylor that he would keep breaking into his house. Finally, don't bring a machete to a gun fight.
He got shot in the upper thigh, and the bullet severed his femoral artery.

Also, he had a machete because he was on probation for a guns charge 2 years ago...meaning he couldn't legally have a gun in his house.

Supposedly, the phone lines were cut to his house before the intruders broke in. People around here are speculating it's related to the 2005 incident where some thugs stole Taylor's ATV & shot up Taylor's SUV after he confronted them.

Unbelievably sad. After a very rocky start, he'd turned his life around (moved to a quiet suburb, had a baby girl, got engaged, became dedicated to his job).
Stupid & lazy
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

:(
Hodor.
Hispanicgamer

Post by Hispanicgamer »

What's sad was that when I first read he was shot I thought it was related to some kind of thuggish behavior. I was sadden to see that he was not in that category and was just trying to defend himself. I hope they catch his killers. :cry:
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoral_artery

I don't see anything in the Wiki about the speed of the bleed out. From what I remember being told, its WAY faster than having the artery in your neck cut becuase its such a large artery. I think someone told me like 10 seconds.

I still think there is something 'funny' goin on here. What robber shoots someone in the groin? Or maybe the right question is...What angry boyfriend shows follows his girlfriend to someones house with a gun, and shoots her lover in the groin?

It's sad. Everything I have read on the guy is that he finally got his shit together, and it looked like he would have a great career.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

CGMark wrote:I don't see anything in the Wiki about the speed of the bleed out. From what I remember being told, its WAY faster than having the artery in your neck cut becuase its such a large artery. I think someone told me like 10 seconds.
It's longer than 10 seconds, but not long. We had an incident at a work event a few months ago where a guy's femur exploded during a softball game. Sometimes, the bones can tear the femoral artery when that happens. The ambulance people told us that had happened, he would have been dead when they got there (less than 8 minutes after the incident).

The intruder shot him twice, hitting him once. It's entirely possible that the intruder is just a bad shot, and that's why he got hit in the groin. Although, jealous ex-boyfriend was the first thing I thought of as well.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Steron

Post by Steron »

I read that his house was broken into a few days before and they left a kitchen knife on a bed in the house. A few days later Taylor is shot. It doesn't sound like a robbery to me.
"There's always next year" The mantra of a KC Chiefs Fan.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Yes, I am aware of the femoral artery bleed out. My comment was more about the bad luck of being shot only once that happens to hit that artery vs. 50 Cent being shot 9 times and surviving.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Due to my ignorance there's something I don't quite understand. I get that Taylor lost a lot of blood and that the family was worried about brain damage. But, presumably, once he got to the hospital the doctors did a blood transfusion. So how is it that he died from blood loss if, when he died, he had plenty of blood? Is it just that in the time between he was shot and the time the doctors did a blood transfusion his brain (?) took too much damage to survive?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Very sad story indeed.

However, i'm gonna bet that this was not some random robbery and there are some past ties somewhere to his thugish background.

Very sad since it looks as though he was trying to make some changes in his life, particularly with his daughter. But i'm betting his history had something to do with this.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
jament

Post by jament »

The latest Sports Illustrated had an interesting article on Vick and the idea of "ghetto loyalty".

One of the things I hadn't thought about before was the idea of the "pass" given to good athletes in gang neighborhoods. Where most kids are required by the gangs to be involved in some sort of gang activities, athletes are given a "pass" and allowed to pursue their sports.

Of course, when they succeed and sign a big contract, the gang from their neighborhood then expects to be compensated for giving them that pass. If the athlete refuses, there's the threat of violence and death against them, their families and friends.

I guess even a million dollar contract doesn't necessarily get you out of the 'hood.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Taylor should have moved a heck of a lot farther away, like out of Florida.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hispanicgamer wrote:What's sad was that when I first read he was shot I thought it was related to some kind of thuggish behavior. I was sadden to see that he was not in that category and was just trying to defend himself. I hope they catch his killers. :cry:
My first thought was his previous thugginshness had caught up with him, but apparently he had done quite a bit of turning his life around after the birth of his daughter, which only makes this sadder.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

Couldn't they put a tourniquet or something on the leg to stop the blood loss?

Also, he made it to the hospital, underwent surgery and was alive for several hours before he died. I don't see how blood loss could have killed him.

In fact I'm pretty shocked that he died after he reached the hospital, with a wound like that I would figure once he reached proper medical care he was almost assured of survival at the very least...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blood carries oxygen to the brain and the rest of the body. Bleed out = less blood = less oxygen. Even if they stabilize you and give you a transfusion, your brain can sustain a lot of damage in the intervening time.

I'm not a doctor, or anything close, but along with the brain, I'm sure other organs suffer damage as well. It's not like putting blood back into the system will fix them.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the tourniquet, by the time any trained help got there it may have been too late. We're talking minutes even if someone had applied pressure to the wound. Arterial bleeding is fast.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

To my knowledge, a severed femoral artery is the fastest way to bleed out. Faster even than severing your jugular. To understand the time frame you are looking at (as it pertains to survivability), I turn your attention to Clint Malarchuk (former goalie of the Buffalo Sabres). That's a video of him getting his throat slashed open by a skate. If you are easily made quesy, I do NOT recommend clicking on that link.

Anyway, that clip is about 36 seconds long. Malarchuk gets his throat cut at the 6 second mark. The medical people are tending to him by the end of the clip. They mentioned at the time that if the medical people were on the far bench, he would have bled to death on the ice. That's the kind of time frame we are talking about before these injuries become fatal.

The damage caused by massive blood loss is not something you can repair. I'm pretty sure that severing your femoral artery is a one way ticket, unless you're lucky enough to sever it on the operating table.

What I don't know is the severity of each tear. Malarchuk could have had a much bigger tear than Taylor, but Taylor bled for a longer period of time.

Regardless, it's horrific.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I saw a Dr on CNN this morning explain how this could/can happen.

If he "nicked" the artery, this is the worse case scenario. Even if someone trained was there when the injury happens, it would be very difficult to stop bleeding. A nick is like taking a chunk out of a pipe. Unless you close up the exact spot of the damage, blood will continue to escape and significant bleeding will occur. Regardless, finding the exact spot of the damage and stopping the bleed is damn near impossible.

Best case scenario is to have the artery completed severed. If this occurs, the artery can be cut off and direct pressure applied can and usually does stop bleeding. I once saw a show on a shark attack and the person survived several hours before getting medical attention because the artery was completely severed and it kinda stopped itself from bleeding.

Now, this Dr. also said she thinks his cause of death was more than likely cardiac related. Even though he got blood transfusions, he lost such an enormous amount before he was transfused that his heart never recovered. The damage was done before help arrived.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
CSL

Post by CSL »

RunningMn9 wrote:To my knowledge, a severed femoral artery is the fastest way to bleed out. Faster even than severing your jugular. To understand the time frame you are looking at (as it pertains to survivability), I turn your attention to Clint Malarchuk (former goalie of the Buffalo Sabres). That's a video of him getting his throat slashed open by a skate. If you are easily made quesy, I do NOT recommend clicking on that link.

Anyway, that clip is about 36 seconds long. Malarchuk gets his throat cut at the 6 second mark. The medical people are tending to him by the end of the clip. They mentioned at the time that if the medical people were on the far bench, he would have bled to death on the ice. That's the kind of time frame we are talking about before these injuries become fatal.

The damage caused by massive blood loss is not something you can repair. I'm pretty sure that severing your femoral artery is a one way ticket, unless you're lucky enough to sever it on the operating table.

What I don't know is the severity of each tear. Malarchuk could have had a much bigger tear than Taylor, but Taylor bled for a longer period of time.

There is another longer version here...

Just god awful to watch, and thankfully the doc got there quick.

Though, it may be a little bad, but I got a small chuckle out of the Buick commercial that comes on over the sound as they are taking him off.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

CSL wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:To my knowledge, a severed femoral artery is the fastest way to bleed out. Faster even than severing your jugular. To understand the time frame you are looking at (as it pertains to survivability), I turn your attention to Clint Malarchuk (former goalie of the Buffalo Sabres). That's a video of him getting his throat slashed open by a skate. If you are easily made quesy, I do NOT recommend clicking on that link.

There is another longer version here...

Just god awful to watch, and thankfully the doc got there quick.

Though, it may be a little bad, but I got a small chuckle out of the Buick commercial that comes on over the sound as they are taking him off.
The only reason he made is that the medic who was on him was a medic in Vietnam, recognized the injury, and got his hand inside Malarchuk's throat to pinch the artery shut and didn't let go until they could properly attend to him.

He was one lucky son of a bitch.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Sean Taylor didn't grow up in thug life. The guy was from a decent middle-class neighborhood. Although his parents were divorce, Taylor was raised by his father (a chief of police in a Miami suburb) and stepmother in a nice, normal home setting.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

triggercut wrote:Sean Taylor didn't grow up in thug life. The guy was from a decent middle-class neighborhood. Although his parents were divorce, Taylor was raised by his father (a chief of police in a Miami suburb) and stepmother in a nice, normal home setting.
Hush. You're interrupting America's casual racism.
Hispanicgamer

Post by Hispanicgamer »

Clanwolfer wrote:
triggercut wrote:Sean Taylor didn't grow up in thug life. The guy was from a decent middle-class neighborhood. Although his parents were divorce, Taylor was raised by his father (a chief of police in a Miami suburb) and stepmother in a nice, normal home setting.
And I am definitely guilty of it. I feel pretty bad for making that kind of call.
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Clanwolfer wrote:
That or the perceptions of Sean Taylor have been tainted by T.J. Houshmanzadah, a DUI (that was dismissed), Taylor's commentary, the University of Miami, and a gun charge that was plea bargained.

I don't think that makes him a thug, and it certainly doesn't mean he deserved to get robbed (twice) and shot. But I don't think racism is the base reason we may have a misconception of Sean Taylor.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Actually my 'thuggishness' perception was more based on the following:

UM association - I don't recall any specific incidents at Miami, so this is more an association

Felony weapons charges - happened, but might not have been as thuggish as it appeared from afar

Multiple spitting incidents on the field - thuggish, and captured on video (being the key bit - I could see for myself), cementing inclinations to perceive him poorly from the previous mentions.

Though as I stated previously, the word was that he had turned a corner with the birth of his daughter.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There's an article from Jason Whitlock about it over at Fox Sports about how Taylor was killed by the "black KKK". I personally think he makes a few too many assumptions (what happens if they find out the perp was white?), but it's an interesting read regardless.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

another interesting article here where Antrel Rolle (lifelong friend of Taylor) says there is no way this was a burglary and that it was from people who knew him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132378

my question is if he had been harassed and targeted...why in the hell did he continue to live there?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Xmann wrote:another interesting article here where Antrel Rolle (lifelong friend of Taylor) says there is no way this was a burglary and that it was from people who knew him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132378

my question is if he had been harassed and targeted...why in the hell did he continue to live there?
Along those lines...Im not sure what Im about to say is 100% accurate, but I seem to remember hearing that something like 90% of murders are commited by someone the victim 'knows'. Im not saying Taylor was friends with or had a lifelong familiarity with the murderers, just that it's highly likely that Taylor's and the murderer's paths had crossed at some point in their respective lives.

Whatever it was, it's tragic and I feel for everyone involved.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote:There's an article from Jason Whitlock about it over at Fox Sports about how Taylor was killed by the "black KKK". I personally think he makes a few too many assumptions (what happens if they find out the perp was white?), but it's an interesting read regardless.
It was interesting.
The "keepin' it real" mantra of hip hop is in direct defiance to evolution. There's always someone ready to tell you you're selling out if you move away from the immature and dangerous activities you used to do, you're selling out if you speak proper English, embrace education, dress like a grown man, do anything mainstream.
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

I like Jason Whitlock.

He has a track record of calling out the some of the absurdities and drawbacks of the hip hop culture that is prevelant in alot of high profile athletes in major sports and how it's damaging to the players, the teams and the sports themselves. He basically calls for the black atheletes who need to grow up and mature a bit to do so.

Which he can do cause he's black himself, a white journalist would get crucified for that.

But I give him a lot of credit because a lot of black journalists are reluctent to criticize black atheletes for living what is a traditionally "black/hip-hop" type of lifestyle, even if that somehow detrimental to the athlete in some way because those atheletes are viewed as "keeping it real" (as the article says)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Meet the 4 musketeers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3137903

They sure have their friends and family fooled.
Those who know the young suspects attempted to defend them.

Cordaveous Brown, 16, who said he was a close friend of Rivera, described the suspect as calm and quiet. "He's not the type of guy to do something like this," he said. A woman who identified herself as Wardlow's grandmother called him "a sweet young man," and Jose Ortiz, a 36-year-old neighbor of Hunte, said he'd never heard of any problems or trouble surrounding the accused.
The suspects all have prior arrests, according to Lee County Sheriff's Office records.

Wardlow was arrested twice for selling marijuana and once for grand theft of a vehicle, and Hunte was arrested previously this year on drug and trespassing charges.

Mitchell has been arrested twice, most recently in October on charges of driving with a suspended license and violation of probation. Rivera was arrested in October for trafficking cocaine and methamphetamine, and he previously was behind bars for altering the identification number on a firearm.
I guess the meaning of sweet young man has changed...
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Ken, I thought you were an innocent until proven guilty guy?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
naednek

Post by naednek »

noxiousdog wrote:Ken, I thought you were an innocent until proven guilty guy?
again nice try.

Just in case you're tuning in noxiousdog, (living up to his name mind you) after several failed attempts is trying to "catch me" on my statements referring to my standing (the quite American standing) of being innocent until proven guilty in regards to Barry Bonds.

He keeps on taking shots that have no relevancy such as this post...
http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... 02#1137802
noxiousdog wrote:
naednek wrote: no that's not what I'm saying, I believe in the justice system, and the country's foundation on Innocent until Proven Guilty.

I find it much more likely that it's a crutch and excuse used for those that don't want to acknowledge unpleasant probabilities about their favored sons.

When you held this opinion, was it because he was Proven Guilty?

Or what about this one?
In his latest attempt he fails again for many reasons. Poor guy, never learns.
1: I never passed down any judgement.
2: My comments were based you know, actual facts, such as court decisions that have already been ruled on.

Nothing I said was referring to them being guilty of the slaying of Taylor. I just posted who they arrested. Come back again if they have been found guilty.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

That article says 'arrests.' It does not say convictions.
Black Lives Matter

naednek

Post by naednek »

noxiousdog wrote:That article says 'arrests.' It does not say convictions.
and again, your point? You might as well stop now.
Ken, I thought you were an innocent until proven guilty guy?
This has nothing do with this post, or the ones I quoted you on.

Even if you think it is, tell me where I'm passing any judgement?

Keep on posting, it will make my workday tomorrow that much more interesting.

In other (on topic) news, I thought it was nice how the Redskins only started 10 players.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

glad to see Jesse Jackson and OJ Simpson made the funeral yesterday.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Re: [NFL] Redskins' Taylor Dies Day After Shooting

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC Miami, (2015)
The last defendant in the murder case of UM and Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor was denied his request for a sentence reduction.
Hunte was facing life in prison after his conviction but because he cooperated with prosecutors, he was given a plea deal of 29 years in prison. But on Friday he asked for even less time.
Hunte and four co-defendants broke into Taylor's Palmetto Bay home in 2007 to rob the popular NFL player. Taylor was in the house at the time of the burglary and surprised the defendants.

Eric Rivera was the shooter who killed Taylor. The other three defendants were all implicated in the murder and burglary. Rivera was sentenced to 56-years in prison and the other defendants also got substantial prison time.

After considering the pleas, the judge did not waiver, sentencing Hunte to 29 years behind bars.
And now almost ten years after his murder, the Sean Taylor murder case is closed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.