Controlled Kaos--The Spies Attack! [KAOS wins!]

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

triggercut

Controlled Kaos--The Spies Attack! [KAOS wins!]

Post by triggercut »

***ADDED JANUARY 25: AS LARS LIAISONS GAME WINDS TO ITS FINAL TURNS, LETS BRING THIS OUT OF MOTHBALLS. IF YOU SIGNED UP TO PLAY AND ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING, PLEASE GIVE ME AN "IN" AGAIN! IF YOU DIDN"T SIGN UP AND ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING, GIVE ME AN "IN" AS WELL! IF WE HAVE MORE THAN 15, I HAVE A COUPLE OF NEAT TWISTS TO BALANCE THE GAME!***

Controlled Kaos, The Story:

Working to keep the world safe, Control is the name of a highly-secret US Spy organization. Control agents have the use of some fantastic technical gadgets and gewgaws to help them rid the world of evil.

Working against Control is Kaos, the international agency of bad guys. Kaos wants nothing more than world domination. Kaos stand against everything that Control works to protect.

Our story begins on a cruise ship, the Floating Point. Control had scheduled a lovely Booze Cruise as a reward for a successful year for the agency...but then Kaos discovered the plan. Using the latest in disguise techniques, two Kaos agents, Siegfried and The Craw, infiltrated Control and got themselves invited on the holiday cruise. Just before embarking on the trip, The Chief discovers that his agency has been compromised, and hastily arranges to finally--FINALLY--capture two of Kaos's most devious killers by having all members of Control similarly disguised for the trip, to hopefully protect them from Kaos and lure Siegfried and The Craw into a trap.

The fly in the ointment? The transmitters issued to the real Control agents to identify one another through disguise were lost in the US mail. Sadly, now the cruise ship is full of Secret Agents, bent on destroying one another, with the spies unable to identify one another by appearance. Each night, Kaos will assassinate one Control agent. Each day, the agents of both teams hang out, incognito, to try to figure out who the Kaos infiltrators are. The day ends when the players/Agents throw one spy overboard to their death.

KAOS, the badguys:

Siegfried - Kaos's evil mastermind can insinuate powerful drugs into the soup of one Control Agent at night in lieu of a kill one time. If the Control Agent is disgruntled, that player will convert to Kaos and become Shtarker. If that Agent is happy, Siegfried will have to assassinate them. Siegfried may continue with conversion attempts until a single conversion is made, or until he is killed in the game.

The Craw - This evil Kaos henchman has undercover agents all over the ship, and can learn from them the true role of any agent in the game at night. Sadly, his minions speak only Chinese, so when he dies, Kaos's ability to read the data collected by his minions dies with him.

Shtarker
- The loose cannon of the bunch. He is Siegfried's "converted" Agent. He is also impulsive enough to have rigged a grenade to his body that will explode and kill ONE Control Agent at random if he is thrown overboard. If Shtarker is killed by Control Agents taking their shot, then he does not explode his grenade and only he dies. Shtarker can only be recruited from the pool of disgruntled Control Agents.

Control (aka, The Goodguys)

The Chief: Can look into the employer of one player a night. If he discovers a Kaos Agent, will be told only that he has found a Kaos agent. Any Control Agent, whether special or not, is just revealed as a Control Agent. If The Chief prefers, he can choose to PM another player at night rather than scan a player. The two will then be allowed to PM throughout the rest of the night.

Agent 13 - If he reveals himself during the day, he has the ability to shoot and kill any other Agent in the game. Agent 13's shot does NOT take the place of that day's overboard toss. If Agent 13 shoots Shtarker, Shtarker does not activate his grenade. Once Agent 13 takes his shot, he is a regular, unpowered Control Agent.

Hymie The Robot - Can protect any other Agent in the game at night. Hymie can also self protect. Hymie may not protect the same agent on consecutive nights. Hymie may elect to protect no one on a given night. If Hymie protects a Kaos Agent, he will not be destroyed, but the Kaos agents will learn who Hymie is. In this case, the reveal of Hymie to the Kaos Agents will be the last event to take place before dawn (in other words, Kaos will discover the result of their assassination attempt before they are told that Hymie protected one of them mistakenly, and then the games goes to a daylight turn.) Hymie will be unaware that he protected Kaos agents. Hymie will also block a conversion attempt if he is protecting such a target. Hymie will receive no feedback from the referee as to whether he successfully blocked a conversion or assassination attempt.

Larabee - Each night, The Chief's literal-minded but efficient aide can get the autopsy result of any dead Agent. (Yes, there's a secret Control Submarine picking up the Agents thrown overboard, and they're relaying the information to Larabee via semaphore. Larabee is the only Control agent who served in the Navy and can decipher it.)

Agents Maxwell Smart and 99 - These two Control Agents have worked with each other long enough that no disguise will hide the identity of one from the other. 99 and Smart may PM with one another throughout the game, and know each other's role.
ImageImage

6 Control Agents. - These guys are the remainder of the goodguys.

Due to budget cutbacks at Control, Expense Account Vouchers are no longer being rubberstamped by the accounting department. As a result, everything from dinners to ammunition expended in self-defense is being deducted from the paychecks of Control agents. This has caused 8 players--a set that includes both powered and un-powered Control Agents--to become "disgruntled". If Siegfried chooses to try to convert a Control Agent to become Shtarker, the conversion only goes through if the target was disgruntled. If the target was not disgruntled, they will be killed instead of converted. Even after conversion, Shtarker will continue to turn in expense reports to Control, so no announcement will be made of a conversion to the boat at large.

Rules:
No PM's between players with the exception of 99 and 86, who may PM each other freely, and The Chief, should he forego his scan at night and wish to communicate with another player.

All Kaos agents may PM one another freely at any time in the game.

No editing posts.

Voting is locked when a clear majority has been reached. Votes retracted after majority reached shall be ignored.

After a lynch/overboarding, it will be announced to all whether the victim was Kaos or Control. No other specific information will be given.

Brevity rules:
Abandoned by suggestion.

If there are any modifications, I will post them here.

Night turn sequence:
1. Kaos MUST decide whether to convert or kill.
2. Kaos PM's their target to me, with instructions on whether they'll do their one-time convert or a regular assassination. Kaos does not learn the role of any character they kill.
3. The Chief scans the guest manifest to figure out the role of any one agent, and PM's me his scan target.
4. Hymie self-programs to protect and PM's me his protection target.
5. Larabee gets the result of an autopsy on any dead player/Agent of his choosing.

Steps 1-5 take place simultaneously. If The Chief or Larabee is a Kaos target for death or conversion, he *will* be told the result of his scan.

6. The Craw is given the result of his scan of agents. (Kaos may PM their scan target early, but it will not be resolved until after their kill target is resolved.)
7. If Hymie protected Kaos Agents, Kaos will be informed of this.
8. Dawn.

SPECIAL CONVERSION NOTES:

The following rules apply to any player "converted" by Siegfried in-game.

1. If The Chief is converted he WILL NOT get the result of his current scan target for that night, if he has turned one in. Note that this contradicts speculation within the thread that the Chief would get his vision still. In analysis, the "village" losing their "seer" seems to be penalty enough here.

2. Any other powered player converted by Kaos immediately loses their Control-based power and assumes the power of Shtarker. The only exception to this rule is Max and Agent 99. If either is converted, they may continue unlimited PM conversation with the other until either or both are killed.

Current Players:

1. Austin Killed by Kaos.
2. tru1cy, innocent Control Agent, thrown overboard
3. Chaosraven Killed by Kaos
4. malchior, KAOS Agent
5. Remus West
6. stessier, killed by KAOS
7. Lassr
8. RevHempus71
9. Grundbegriff

10. pr0ner, Agent 13, died while suntanning in grenade explosion
11. Newcastle, Control agent thrown overboard
12. Unagi, Killed by KAOS.
13. Scoop# Shot by Agent 13, not a KAOS Agent
14. Sectoid (innocent Control Agent, thrown overboard)

15. Bakhtosh, KAOS Agent Shtarker

(Bolded names are players who have rollcalled their participation in this game.)
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'm in, whenever.
Your ad here.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

IN

Can I be in KAOS!!
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Wouldja believe... in?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Some clips to get into the spirit of the thing:

99 and Smart (Agent 86) in action:

The Craw in action!

The Chief and Maxwell Smart. Somehow I've got to work The Cone Of Silence into this game...

malchior

Post by malchior »

I had a blast with the BG game, so IN
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

triggercut wrote:The Chief and Maxwell Smart. Somehow I've got to work The Cone Of Silence into this game...
WHAT???
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

In, I assume the comment about players PMing was meant to be the good guys and that the bad guys can PM/use a forum if they want?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm in!
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Remus West wrote:In, I assume the comment about players PMing was meant to be the good guys and that the bad guys can PM/use a forum if they want?
Yep, sorry.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

IN
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I guess that Hymie will not know if his cover is blown if he protects a Kaos, only the Kaos know. correct?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

I will throw down. IN
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
Austin

Post by Austin »

Lassr wrote:I guess that Hymie will not know if his cover is blown if he protects a Kaos, only the Kaos know. correct?
That would give him Seer like powers so no, I doubt he would know.
Your ad here.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Lassr wrote:I guess that Hymie will not know if his cover is blown if he protects a Kaos, only the Kaos know. correct?
Additionally, will Hymie be informed in the event his protection of a Control Agent (inc Hymself) succeeds?
"Where are you off to?"

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Hymie is programmed rather primitively. His current algorithms allow him to impersonate every other agent during the day, but on protection detail at night he loses all artificial self-awareness.

He won't know if he's given himself away.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Chaosraven wrote:
Additionally, will Hymie be informed in the event his protection of a Control Agent (inc Hymself) succeeds?
This one I'm open on. I think that, to make Hymie a little more powerful, I'm leaning towards him knowing that his protection was successful.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Call me Agent 13, cuz I'm IN.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

BTW, if anyone has ideas to speed things up game-wise without:

1. unbalancing things in favor of one side or the other and,
2. causing the play of the game to suffer

I'm open to ideas and suggestions!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

in!
Hodor.
Grundbegriff

Re: Controlled Kaos--The Spies Attack! [WW Game]

Post by Grundbegriff »

triggercut wrote:The transmitters issued to the real Control agents to identify one another through disguise were lost in the US mail.
Naturally :)
Sadly, his minions speak only Chinese, so when he dies, Kaos's ability to read the data collected by his minions dies with him.
Heh. Nice.
Brevity rules:
To keep the game moving: Once every Agent has recorded a vote in the turn, even if that vote has been withdrawn at some point, this rule kicks in. At this point, any agent with a clear plurality of at least one vote automatically is thrown overboard.
Here's another way to look at this rule: Any single player so inclined can prevent this rule from going into effect by declining to register a vote. This could be willful (e.g., Chaosraven buying time to compile one more annotated list that only he understands) or negligent (e.g., pr0ner forgetting that he had signed up for a game and proclaimed himself free to focus on it).

Perhaps a margin less aggressive than total participation is in order. Maybe X -1 where X = "Every Living Player" would be better, since it would keep the trigger from being impeded by any single player; a holdout would require at least two.
Steps 1-5 take place simultaneously. If The Chief or Larabee is a Kaos target for death or conversion, he *will* be told the result of his scan.
Clarification request: What is the point of that, when simultaneity means that he'll also die at that moment? Since there's no margin for Chief/Larabee to pop into the thread and reveal his scan results, does it matter whether he's *told* them?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

pr0ner wrote:in!
I asked you not to tell me that!
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Clarification request: What is the point of that, when simultaneity means that he'll also die at that moment? Since there's no margin for Chief/Larabee to pop into the thread and reveal his scan results, does it matter whether he's *told* them?
There is, actually. Provided we have 15 players. I'll modify this slightly if there are only 13.

First off, a general clarification: if a "powered" Control Agent is converted by Siegfried, they lose all their previous powers and assume the powers of Shtarker.

In the extremely, highly unlikely event that Kaos converts The Chief, if there are 15 players Kaos will receive not only their scan from The Craw, but also The Chief will be able to provide them his scan result(s) as well.

If 13 sign up, Chief will be converted/killed before he sees his scan.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

triggercut wrote:In the extremely, highly unlikely event that Kaos converts The Chief, if there are 15 players Kaos will receive not only their scan from The Craw, but also The Chief will be able to provide them his scan result(s) as well.

I get it. Makes sense.

So howzabout that N-1 trigger for the mandatory jettisoning of plurality ballast?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Grundbegriff wrote:
triggercut wrote:In the extremely, highly unlikely event that Kaos converts The Chief, if there are 15 players Kaos will receive not only their scan from The Craw, but also The Chief will be able to provide them his scan result(s) as well.

I get it. Makes sense.

So howzabout that N-1 trigger for the mandatory jettisoning of plurality ballast?
I like that. Basically I'll announce it at the start of each day turn. For instance, let's say that Kaos kills on day one instead of converting in a game that started with 13 players. The kill leaves 12 players at the start of the day turn. Once 11 players have registered a vote, voting is closed once one player has at least a 1-vote lead to be lynched.

I think I will add a 24-hour proviso to this. The rule only kicks in 24 hours of real time after the start of the day. So if the day starts Monday morning, the n-1 plurality rule kicks in on Tuesday morning.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

hey guys, will leave this up to the groups discretion. I want to play...but i really dont know how much time i can put into it. I mean if i am special will leave preplanned scans to the moderator...but honestly wont be posting much, maybe once every couple of days..if you think i have been low key before...this will be newcastles impression of proner (of last game). It's your call, am thinking of broaching this with lars as well.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

i'l pay guys IN
stessier

Post by stessier »

Newcastle wrote:i'l pay guys IN
Being the (mostly) new guy, I volunteer for the Treasury job for this game. Newcastle, I'll PM with instructions on where to send the payment to my agent in New York. Due to recent unrest in my country, I am hoping you will help me an additional proposal I have for your consideration.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote:in!
Ya sure?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm IN
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

triggercut wrote:Kaos wants nothing more than world domination. Kaos stand against everything that Control works to protect.
Shouldn't that read:
Kaos wants nothing less than world domination? :D :wink:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, just to be clear: The game starts with a Shtarker and an additional Shtarker may join up right from the start - should Kaos choose to convert on Night 0?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Unagi wrote:
triggercut wrote:Kaos wants nothing more than world domination. Kaos stand against everything that Control works to protect.
Shouldn't that read:
Heh. Not in the sense of them wanting nothing as much as they want world domination. There is nothing they want more.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

triggercut wrote:
Unagi wrote:
Shouldn't that read:
Heh. Not in the sense of them wanting nothing as much as they want world domination. There is nothing they want more.
Ahh, excellent point.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Craw - ...can learn from them the true role of any agent in the game at night.
The Chief: Can look into the role of one player a night.
Same question for both.
Can they scan the dead?
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

can someone explain the brevity rule to me fully?
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Unagi wrote:
The Craw - ...can learn from them the true role of any agent in the game at night.
Same question for both.
Can they scan the dead?
Good question!

No, they cannot. However, the Control submarine will announce to all agents aboard the cruise ship whether the spy thrown overboard on that particular turn was a Control agent or Kaos agent.

Only Larabee gets the detailed scan of role (or non-role) on a dead body.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

RevHempus71 wrote:can someone explain the brevity rule to me fully?
I'll try.

At the start of each day turn, there will be a number of players remaining in the game. 24 hours after the start of the day turn, the brevity rule kicks in. At that point, as soon as a number of players equaling the start of the day minus one has cast a vote, the day turn ends and the player with the highest vote total, regardless of whether that total is a majority or not, gets tossed overboard.

For example: Day two begins on a Wednesday night (real time) with 12 of the 13 original players still alive. Starting Thursday night (24 hours later), once 11 players have cast a vote (the number of players at the start of the day, minus one), the spy with the largest number of votes currently on him is that day's "lynching" victim.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

RevHempus71 wrote:can someone explain the brevity rule to me fully?
I can try.

Lets say Day 1 begins on Monday at 8:00 am(real time).
On Tuesday at 8:00 am, the following rule goes into effect.

X = the number of players still alive

As long as X - 1 players have cast a vote (if the vote still stands is not relavent), the player with the Most Votes (no Majority needed, just 'The Most'). If two players are tided at 2 to 2 ... we wait until it's at least 3 to 2.

The guy with 3 votes gets tossed.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You do clarify this in the additional discription, but I might suggest not to use the word 'role' here, and instead say 'nature' or 'employer'?