KoTOR spoilers please! (...spoilers within...)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Vinda-Lou

KoTOR spoilers please! (...spoilers within...)

Post by Vinda-Lou »

Can someone please summarize the story of the first KoTOR? I played only a little bit of the xbox version a couple of years ago. I know that you play a jedi with amnesia who needs to gather pieces of some galatic thingy. Also you travel with a kick ass jedi and are up against one of the two bad jedis (sith).

I plan on starting with the second one, but would love to know what happened in the first one including the ending (if possible the good jedi and bad jedi endings both). Thanks.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Isn't #2 a stand-alone story? Might not need to ruin it for you since I don't think it is story-imperitive to #2... you could just play it since it kicks ass.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

"Luke, I'm your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather!" :P
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

The Gamespy review someone posted a little earlier today about KotOR2 suggests that while it's not required, knowledge of the story of KotOR1 is a massive benefit to playing the sequel (the original is apparently referenced a lot, and while effort is made to summarize what you need to know, you still miss stuff).

That said, it's been too long since I played the original for me to give a meaningful plot summary. I wanted to replay it recently, but I lent the CD to a friend of mine ages back and he still hasn't returned it. :P

- Ash
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

You wake up on a republic transport ship that's being attacked by sith. After fighting your way out, you make it to the surface of a planet whose name I don't remember, along with a republic soldier named Carth. It turns out that there was a Jedi aboard the ship named Bastilla. She's important to the battle plans because she has a rare jedi power called Battle Meditation. You're having these strange dreams, and she's in them. These two characters are possible love interests. Bastilla is a hottie, because she's voiced by Jennifer Hale http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0354937/

So you run around the planet for a while, hooking up with a young Twilek and her wookie buddy. You also acquire a little R2D2-like droid that apparently recurs in KOTOR2. The sith have taken over the planet, and they're looking for Bastilla, so the gang hooks up with a mandalorian bounty hunter and scams a crime lord out of the ebon hawk, barely making it off planet before the sith bomb the hell out of it. The leader of the Sith is a guy named Darth Malak.

You go to the happy Jedi planet, where the Jedi council says that you and Bastilla are bound together in some way. They also tell you that you need Jedi training. The star wars equivalent of a 80s movie musical sequence insues, and you're a jedi! You may or may not end up with another Jedi in your party at this point. Standard RPG stuff happens on the planet, then you find this spooky cave with information on the Star Forge. The Star Forge is the big bad foozle that makes the plot go. It turns out that Darth Malak and his buddy, Darth Revan, were Jedis who went looking for it and came back evil. Bastilla was with the group that defeated Revan (the old sith master), which is why Malak's in charge. Guess what? You have to go find it for some reason.

You play an irritating/fun fighter mini game, then get to pick which of four planets you go to next. The sith keep showing up to try and kill you.

One is the wookie planet, which is full of fur and trees. Very little of interest happens on the wookie planet. You fight things and find a clue. A jedi who left the order, but didn't turn evil, joins you.

One is the water planet, which is full of water and a busy criminal justice system. Not a lot happens here, either. You find another clue.

One is Tatooine, which is pretty busy for the middle of nowhere. On tatooine, you pick up HK-47, the BEST DROID EVER! He's a psychotic killing machine who refers to all humans as "meatbags". You fight sand people. Bastilla's mom shows up. You find another clue, but the princess is in another castle.

One is Korriban, where you sneak into a sith academy. This is pretty cool, and you find another clue.

Malak shows up! I think there was a tractor beam. Somewhere in here there's a big reveal, and it turns out that Revan's not dead. Revan is you! Because Jedi are swell, they decided to wipe your brain instead of poking you with a saber. Malak, however, decided to try and blow Revan up with a missile, so he's suprised. Normally sith masters stay dead after their apprentices kill them. HK-47, the best droid ever, was yours before! Bastilla gets captured so that the gang can escape, and is tortured by Malak.

Once you've finished all four planets, you go to the poorly-thought-out planet. Stuff happens. If you're dark side, this is where all sorts of bad stuff goes down. Want to talk the wookie into killing his friend? Want to make Carth cry? Go to it! Eventually, you get off the stupid planet and start heading towards the Star Forge. It turns out the star forge is a really big space station, made by someone a long time ago, and it's very dangerous in the wrong hands. It harnesses the power of a star, see. And this lets them build a lot of spaceships or something. Anyway, you and the gang land on the Star Forge while the republic army attack it.

Malak sends all of his disposable sith henchmen after you, and you hack them all down. Then you and Bastilla square off. You can kill her, turn her back to the light with your love, get her to join you so that you can rule the universe as father and son, etc. After Bastilla, there's an odd fight with Malak, where he's as hard to kill as a World of Warcraft Paladin. But you're 20th level, so you whoop him.

If you're light side, you blow up the star forge and save the day. If you're dark side, you're the wrong hands, and people are in trouble.

The End.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Classic.

This made me laugh
One is the wookie planet, which is full of fur and trees.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I played the first one as good, I'm thinking for the sequel it's time to fall to the dark side! :twisted:

As far as which version to get - I'd go with the PC. I've read that it doesn't have the framerate problems the Xbox version has. And I'm sure the bugs mentioned in the reviews will get patched out eventually.

Ironically enough, I had the original KOTOR on Xbox, but ended up trading it and playing the PC version instead when it came out. The game I found hard to get into on the Xbox became an obsession on the PC. Same deal here - I had KOTOR2 for Xbox, played one day, then just quit. Now planning on picking up the PC version.

For some reason I have a mental block against playing long games on consoles (maybe it's the fact that playing Xbox for me is MUCH more inconvenient than playing PC).
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

ChrisGwinn wrote:You find another clue, but the princess is in another castle.
You, sir, are a genius. :D

- Ash
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

ChrisGwinn wrote:You wake up on a republic transport ship that's being attacked by sith. After fighting your way out, you make it to the surface of a planet whose name I don't remember, along with a republic soldier named Carth....

The End.
Great, thanks! That was all I needed and probably more entertaining than the game. Now I'm ready for part II (to play, not get spoiled...)
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Vinda-Lou wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:You wake up on a republic transport ship that's being attacked by sith. After fighting your way out, you make it to the surface of a planet whose name I don't remember, along with a republic soldier named Carth....

The End.
Great, thanks! That was all I needed and probably more entertaining than the game. Now I'm ready for part II (to play, not get spoiled...)
I don't think so. The game was great.
Bandero

Post by Bandero »

Also, to be nitpicky, Revan's memory was wiped by a concerted application of the Force by a group of Jedi masters, not a simple knock on the head amnesia deal.

Man that's nerdy. Good thing I have a girlfriend! :D
"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. " Kurt Vonnegut
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Bandero wrote:Also, to be nitpicky, Revan's memory was wiped by a concerted application of the Force by a group of Jedi masters, not a simple knock on the head amnesia deal.

Man that's nerdy. Good thing I have a girlfriend! :D
There are a few other facts that are a bit off in my recap, but that one might actually be important in the sequel.

edit! Like the fact that Revan was the master and Malak tried to make him suck vacuum. That was important. I added it up top.
Grifman

Re: KoTOR spoilers please! (...spoilers within...)

Post by Grifman »

Vinda-Lou wrote:Can someone please summarize the story of the first KoTOR? I played only a little bit of the xbox version a couple of years ago. I know that you play a jedi with amnesia who needs to gather pieces of some galatic thingy. Also you travel with a kick ass jedi and are up against one of the two bad jedis (sith).

I plan on starting with the second one, but would love to know what happened in the first one including the ending (if possible the good jedi and bad jedi endings both). Thanks.
Well, why don't you play the first one first? I've seen it for $19.99. I'd play it first, then play the sequel. I mean if you are going to play the sequel, why not play the first?

I also know that there are some things/characters that would mean far more to you storywise if you play the original first.

This is kind of like seeing The Empire Strikes Back without seeing Star Wars - doesn't really make sense :)
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

I thought about restarting the first one, but having played some of it I'm not too interested in playing through the whole thing. I really only play fps or rts games more than once, but very rarely rpgs (not including Morrowind). The thought of going through the first planet again for some reason is very unappealing - I doubt I would make it out of the first apartment building w/o giving up.