WoW: I love to love my Warlock

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malichai11

WoW: I love to love my Warlock

Post by malichai11 »

I play a Night Elf Druid when my wife and I are playing together, but started up a Human Paladin to solo. Bleh. Boring, boring, boring. The DPS sucks, and it kills so slow.

Started up a Human Warlock yesterday night and I'm in love. What an awesome solo class for PvE. And once you get your Void Walker? WHOO!!! Awesome. Relatively fast killing and almost no downtime between kills, so the levelling comes much, much quicker.

So, two thumbs up for the Warlock!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I love my warlock too.

PvE gets much harder and when you get your succubus, you play with it for 10 minutes, realize it sucks (not in the good way, either), and end up going back to the voidwalker.

Overall it's a great character to play though. Tougher as you gain levels, IMO, but still fun.

Edit: Mine is undead so he's better than yours. Horde!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unfortunately I feel this way about each of the 8 different alts I play...never at the same time, however. This means I'm coo coo for cocoa puffs over my rogue one week, and then ga ga for my warlock the next, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

sigh...they're all just so tasty.
He won. Period.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

hepcat wrote:Unfortunately I feel this way about each of the 8 different alts I play...never at the same time, however. This means I'm coo coo for cocoa puffs over my rogue one week, and then ga ga for my warlock the next, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

sigh...they're all just so tasty.
Fruit loops would be a more apt desciption of you.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

I just started a Warlock, and am liking it also. I mostly play my Night Elf Druid, (lvl 22), which I really like too. Something I've seen in game is pets that are like Raptors. What class is that, and what level would you need to be to get one? Another thing I really like about higher level Warlocks is the horse they can get, which has flaming eyes, and flames from their hoofs. Can't wait to get high enough to get one of those.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

snoleopard wrote:I just started a Warlock, and am liking it also. I mostly play my Night Elf Druid, (lvl 22), which I really like too. Something I've seen in game is pets that are like Raptors. What class is that, and what level would you need to be to get one? Another thing I really like about higher level Warlocks is the horse they can get, which has flaming eyes, and flames from their hoofs. Can't wait to get high enough to get one of those.
I imagine the pet raptors are hunters' pets. Don't know the level, but they train them and raptors can be low level, so pretty early.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
PRBoricua

Re: WoW: I love to love my Warlock

Post by PRBoricua »

malichai11 wrote:I play a Night Elf Druid when my wife and I are playing together, but started up a Human Paladin to solo. Bleh. Boring, boring, boring. The DPS sucks, and it kills so slow.

Started up a Human Warlock yesterday night and I'm in love. What an awesome solo class for PvE. And once you get your Void Walker? WHOO!!! Awesome. Relatively fast killing and almost no downtime between kills, so the levelling comes much, much quicker.

So, two thumbs up for the Warlock!
I have a Gnome Warlock (represent!) at level 20 and I am enjoying him immensly, I agree the Succubus succs (pun fully intended). I can't agree with you about the Paladin deal, I have a level 22 Paladin who I've been playing much more than my Warlock recently. But that probably has a lot do with me playing as a caster in every MMO up until now, and the Paladin is "different" to me. Ah well, glad you're enjoying your Warlock they are indeed a great class.
If you find this post stupid, or unintelligent then I probably agree with you.
Jag

Post by Jag »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
snoleopard wrote:I just started a Warlock, and am liking it also. I mostly play my Night Elf Druid, (lvl 22), which I really like too. Something I've seen in game is pets that are like Raptors. What class is that, and what level would you need to be to get one? Another thing I really like about higher level Warlocks is the horse they can get, which has flaming eyes, and flames from their hoofs. Can't wait to get high enough to get one of those.
I imagine the pet raptors are hunters' pets. Don't know the level, but they train them and raptors can be low level, so pretty early.
Yep, Hunters can train Raptors. Most generic animals can be tamed (bears, crocs, spiders, gorillas, cats, turtles, wolves, boars, etc).

There is a list of what groups Hunters can train. But the pet loses all its unique abilities when trained and only has the characteristics for its basic class.

A Hunter can only train a pet at his level or lower, but while training, the animal will attack so you need to be able to take the beating to train. It's also hard when the animal has knockdown since you have to start training all over again.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah - training that first bear was a PITA. Get THIS close to training one and he'd knock me down and I'd have to start over (without the hitpoints to survive)
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

The Succubbus has low hitpoints but man can she dish out the damage and Soothing Kiss can get too many aggro'd creatures off of you. That said, I still prefer my Voidwalker.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
knob

Post by knob »

I haven't played a Warlock past level 9, but I can say that I like the succubus pet in groups. If you're doing an instanced dungeon, the ability to have a bit of crowd control is pretty nice.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Warlock's pwn. Although it is true the higher you get, the harder it is to solo, and mana does become a problem. The Voidwalker is my primary solo minion, but if you're going up against creatures that are lower in level than you, or you are in a group with a good tank, the Succubus can boost your overall damage per second by a good 40 points.

The Imp is also great fire support for a group. I've found the class rewarding, despite all the people bitching about how it weak in the Warlock WoW forums.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
-Gauis Julius Caesar prior to crossing the Rubicon River against Rome 49 BC
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

People bitch about how week it is for PvP, don't they?

I did read about how they're working on the soul shard overfill problem. My dude has 4 10-slot bags at level 10 and I still have space problems (thank you Mr Fed for the thread on making monies, or, since he mispells my name, I'll just refer to him as Mr. Fe).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malichai11 wrote:People bitch about how week it is for PvP, don't they?
They are weak for PvP. Mainly because player characters can ignore taunt and aggro and just go after your warlock. Soulshards are a good balance device, except that you can't get any for PvP.

MYT
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

That's good news for a PvE person. If they boost the power of the Warlock, it should make solo'ing easier. :)
knob

Post by knob »

Warlocks have never caused my rogue any PVP problems, but casters aren't much trouble to begin with (Although Priests are pretty nasty at times). A big help for me is the fact that I'm Undead and I can throw up my Fear immunity and just keep pounding on them.

However, when fighting a group with a Warlock in it, I hate them. Their dots just ruin every thing. They make it difficult to stealth.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

As I understand it, several of the warlock talents are buggy. Has this changed? I have a low-level warlock (10 I believe).
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

I have a level 29 Warlock and I pretty much ONLY use the Succubus. I respec'd to only take Pet talents that boosted her stats. These talents let her survive quite well and she dishes out way more damage than the Voidwalker. Having Seduce to remove adds is also very nice.

I'm on a PvP server, and it is pretty hard to survive PvP encounters if I'm in a 1 on 1 situation.. Oh well.. I do just fine soloing the rest of the time.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Can somebody explain the Felhunter to me? During Beta, it was delayed by months and the rumor was that Blizz was thinking of pulling it (to be replaced with something else) because they discovered internally that something that was really only strong against casters was too specific since casters were almost always mixed in with non-casters. I'd be interested to know what they finally came up with. The description at the WoW site just says "use against casters" which isn't real specific.

Sith
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Sith Lord wrote:Can somebody explain the Felhunter to me? During Beta, it was delayed by months and the rumor was that Blizz was thinking of pulling it (to be replaced with something else) because they discovered internally that something that was really only strong against casters was too specific since casters were almost always mixed in with non-casters. I'd be interested to know what they finally came up with. The description at the WoW site just says "use against casters" which isn't real specific.

Sith
Basically its a tauntless, damage low pet that is only really viable agianst caster bosses and weak casters. It has an ability called spell lock that, well, locks spells. Cast this (DONT put it on autocast) on a casting mob and not only will it stop that spell, itll also prohibit him from casting it for 45 seconds or so. It can also eat debuffs and gain health from that, and at high levels he helps you detect stealth mobs.

Different tools for different jobs, its useful in the right spot but the fel was my least used pet overall.
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

Vesper wrote:I have a level 29 Warlock and I pretty much ONLY use the Succubus. I respec'd to only take Pet talents that boosted her stats. These talents let her survive quite well and she dishes out way more damage than the Voidwalker. Having Seduce to remove adds is also very nice.

I'm on a PvP server, and it is pretty hard to survive PvP encounters if I'm in a 1 on 1 situation.. Oh well.. I do just fine soloing the rest of the time.
I'm in the camp that mostly use the Voidwalker.
Succubus looks sweet for the first few hours but gets old (and the slap herself thingie and moaning gets old after a while :p ).
Voidwalker has the "sacrifice" ability that gives me a 20 second shield against everything. Now that is a truely kickass thing and helps escaping some tight situations.

Voidwalker is also a good tank if you are in a pickup group without a paladin or warrior. I also discovered if used cleverly he is great at pulling.
If done right there are seldom adds (just let it only get near the mob to aggro and not ON it if the mob is even leveled or a bit above).
It also helps pulling casters to "safe" territory to kill.

I especially love "Curse of Tongues" to slow casters (the sound effect of demonic voices is nice, too).

"Unlimited breath" is cool because I can stay under water forever once I rebuff myself every 10 min. There is A LOT to be found under water most other classes have NO idea about (large shells with sometimes pearls, Stranglekeep and also minerals). You could also grind under water (Murlocks and other beasts) without being seen or disturb anyone.

"Searing Pain" is a lifesaver in groups once a mob goes after the priest.
This thing produces so much aggro it's unbelievable...

Soulshards is a bit of an issue since I use one of my 5 12 slot bags just for them.
I also decided to keep some of them in the bank.

"Shadowburn" that needs a soulshard and should give you back one should the target die because of that spell is very likely bugged because I never got a shard back. Might be that the target died from one of my other curses everytime though, however.

Felhunter is strange. I hardly use it yet since I have no idea what it does.
I read about the thing against casters but I didn't find this option yet (might have to buy it as grimoire).

Is this class bugged?
Well hard to say for me since most bugs seem to deal with controlling demons later on (still level 35 so far).
So far I love it and can live with the obvious pathing issues that sometimes let us lose our pets.

I found some abilities that don't make much sense to me right now like "Detect limited stealth" that should work against rogues.
"Detect demons" is a bit weird, too especially since it stops detecting either herbs or minerals on the mini map.
I haven't run into many places with demons so far so this might be useful later on though.

I didn't PvP yet besides 2 times. Once when an Alliance character hearthstoned back into Booty Bay flagged and there were a few Horde...
Together we killed one Horde and then fled into the water buffed with unlimted breath to wait there until flag went off (PvE server).
The other time when a low level Horde attacked me when a Horde NPC did have flagged me. I send a "Fear" his way and ran.

I suspect we could win PvP by doing unsuspected things like sacrificing the Voidwalker and use maybe little known things and combinations to surprise the other classes (Shadowburn, Searing Pain, Curse of Tongues to slow casters, Fear and then Life Drain, Convert Life to Mana, using healthstones, using soulstones. Whatever is in our arsenal.
I have a good wand that deals distance damage also. Might catch some surprised since they might mistake it as shadowballs and think I'm out of mana after a while.).
I know we have no chance against a Rogue or Shaman knowing about our class if he knows how to play his class.

Edit: Forgot about our free mount at lvl 40 :)
Odin

Post by Odin »

That's a shame - I know they really wanted to make the Felhunter into something useful. Sounds like they gave up. Different tools is a good idea, except that it takes so long to summon a new pet that you can't really swap back and forth on demand. Now if you could have the Felhunter TOO, that might work.

Sith
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Well, they did try and make the felhunter useful, unfortunately unless PvP you just don't encounter many casters that make it worthwhile. Its all about roles with the Different minions, as each is equivalent to a class in WoW.

The imp is a mage, I pull him out for the Stamina boost gained by blood pact and then we rain Shadow bolts and his firebolts against the target we're engaged at. Usually when in a group that has a really good tank.

Voidwalker is a tank, pure and simple. High threat, and keeps people off of you while you let your DoTs take effect.

Succubus is pretty much the equivalent of a rogue. High DPS, put it doesn't pull very well, so be prepared to take some damage yourself. I mentioned earlier that she does raise my DPS over the voidwalker by about 40 points. Her seduce spell is also great use in crowd control.

Felhunter is the anti-mage. With most of its skills coming with later level grimoires. It can eat buffs on the enemy caster and the de-buffs that put on you.

Then there is the Felsteed, which looks about 1000 times cooler than the Paladins Mr Ed looking horse.

At later levels, you can summon Infernals and Doomgaurds, but you have to use the enslave demon spells to keep them undercontrol.

As far as PvP goes, its hard. Warlocks are actually most effective against Paladins and Priests with the FelHunter. The only thing they are not good against, again as mentioned above, are the undead with fear immunity.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
tals

Post by tals »

Well having been debating my character I decided on a Warlock for my initial char

http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?c=Warlock

Tals the warlock sets forth on Shadowmoon Euro :)
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

I saw a character that I thought was a warlock, riding a horse with flames around his hoofs and flames for eyes, but it doesn't show that on the thottbot list. Was I wrong about the warlock getting a flaming horse? Also, I haven't used a bank yet even though I really need to store some things. Do I just go to a bank, put my stuff in, and that's it?
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

That's it. Just walk in and talk to one of the teller's. A window opens up where you can drag and drop stuff. You can access your account from any bank, not just the one where you made the deposit.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

And yes the Warlock gets a horse.

Thats on fire.
Ronin

"The Die is Cast"
naednek

Post by naednek »

You love to love your warlock?

EWWWWWWWWW
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

Back off grumpykins. There's nothing wrong with a little man on warlock love.

I'll love you too if you keep that up.
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

Something for my fellow warlocks:

Yesterday I mentioned that I have soulshards in the bank vault during some chatting with another warlock.
He was VERY surprised that this actually works and said he never have thought about this...

Made me think that maybe some of you didn't think about that, too!

So: You can store soulshards in the bank however stuff like healthstones, soulstones etc. will vanish (as when you logged out for more than 15 min).
koanicriddle

Post by koanicriddle »

Intruder wrote:You can store soulshards in the bank...
Woot! Thank you, Intruder! I had no idea this worked. This'll certainly make my life easier.

One thing I've noticed is that, on more than one occasion, I've logged out with a pet still summoned, and when I log back in the pet is still there. I'm not sure if this is intentional or a bug, but it's happened more than once.
My LibraryThing catalog... a work in progress.