Bush: "We're not going to have any casulties"

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Bush: "We're not going to have any casulties"

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And who claims that Bush made this statement? Some disgruntled ex-member of the administration? A liberal with an agenda? Nope, Pat Robertson. How can a president be so naive?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isn't Pat Robertson generally considered a nut though? It sucks being a xenophobe and therefore being put in the same class as him. :(
hodge313

Post by hodge313 »

How scary is it that Pat Robertson is actually making more sense than the leader of the free world? :shock:
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

If an anonymous report came out that Bush had devil horns and cloven feet, not only would the would the response be, 'I KNEW IT!', but also this forum would post pics and deny they were photoshopped.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

no photoshopping involved!
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Remember, Pat Robertson is only a psycho right-wing nutjob is he's talking POSITIVELY about Bush.
WAW

Post by WAW »

ImageBOO
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
Schroeder

Post by Schroeder »

noxiousdog wrote:If an anonymous report came out that Bush had devil horns and cloven feet, not only would the would the response be, 'I KNEW IT!', but also this forum would post pics and deny they were photoshopped.

ND, you just summed up my thoughts exactly....

The Liberal Lounge (tm*) Swingers are out in force, baby! :twisted:

-S

(*) BTW, whoever coined that phrase back on GG...I love it! :D
noun

Post by noun »

According to a documentary I watched on PBS last week, Pat Robertson was the one who baptized Dubya when he became born again.
Gizah

Post by Gizah »

Noun, you are referring to Frontline correct? That was a fascinating examination of both Kerry and Bush. I was surprised no one on these boards had mentioned seeing it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Well, if Pat Robertson said it, and he said it on the INTERNET no less, it must be true. Well, he said it on TV first, but then they put it on the internet, and they wouldn't have done that if it wasn't true.

No matter that the President was publicly telling us that this was going to a be a long, difficult campaign.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
noun

Post by noun »

Gizah, yep, that's the one I saw. It was pretty damn fair and balanced, wasn't it? Not to mention extremely informative about both men.

The Pat Robertson / Bill Graham / Bush family connections are a lot stronger than I expected, and help explain the religious extremism at the upper levels of this adminstration.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Kerry flip-flops. Bush talks out of both sides of his mouth. Most of the time he's so incomprehensible, nobody can tell he's doing it.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Actually, at the debates Bush seemed to have a problem speaking out of the left side of his mouth, making some people think he might have had a minor stroke.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Grifman

Re: Bush: "We're not going to have any casulties"

Post by Grifman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:And who claims that Bush made this statement? Some disgruntled ex-member of the administration? A liberal with an agenda? Nope, Pat Robertson. How can a president be so naive?
You believe Pat Robertson? How can a liberal be so naive? :)

And tell me, what other things do you believe that Pat Robertson has said? Somehow I don't see you as a real Pat Robertson follower :)

Grifman
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I've been sort of watching this today. My first thought was - what an odd day for an evangelical preacher to pick a fight with the Bush White House. It just seemed like such bad planning.

But it turns out he's said these things before. linky (sorry for the blog link but it's got all the relevant cites in one place.)

In short, PR told Connie Chung (CNN) in 2/03 that he told the Prez that America should expect big casualties.

Then last July, on Hardball (MSNBC) PR said "I warned the president. I only met with him once. I said, You better prepare the American people for some serious casualties. And he said, Oh, no, our troops are, you know, so well protected, we don`t have to worry about that."

Which is not quite as bald a statement as the ones we've heard today. But clearly it's been on Pat's mind and the WH was aware of it. The WH communications director was in the studio for that taping.

And the other odd thing about it is that it so closely mirrors the debate debacle, where Bush had previously said he wasn't worried about Osama and then denied having said that. I'm sure that's not what Rove wanted to be talking about today.

And the timing! Sure - I believe that Pat's full of it. I think he's even more full of it than Bush. But it's no secret that the GOP relies on the evangelical vote. The statements from the Bush White House today leave the evangelicals having to decide who's lying - the President or the Preacher.

This is not the October Surprise I was expecting ...
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Bush is a puppet who just repeats whatever his advisors tell him.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Wow...after seeing Kerry make a statement, clarify it, then reclarify, then deny he ever clarified his clarifications, the hypocrisy here is overwhelming.

As for Bush's statement, this is so obvious that it shouldn't have to be mentioned: they were talking about WMD. I hate that we lost the GG archives. I'd love to go back and excerpt similar conversations between GG members. And even if you interpret those comments in light of what we know today, 1000 deaths over this amount of time is not "massive" by any stretch of imagination...horrible and regretful, yes - massive, no.

And as for Bush's religious leanings, Kerry is sounding a lot more like a preacher these days that Bush is. I surprised Kerry's religious antics aren't making his backers here sick to their stomachs...especially after the lambasting Bush has received for much more mild statements and actions.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Andrew Sullivan's blog isn't making a big hubbub about this. But he makes a good point.
MORE ROBERTSON: Yet more proof that he has said this before:
CHUNG: Because I'm wondering if you believe the United States should invade Iraq without U.N. backing.

ROBERTSON: Connie, I have, over the last year or so, been quite concerned about entering into this war. We should have gone in after him in the Gulf War I.

This thing is fraught with danger. And I think we need to understand that. I told the president that just recently, that we have got to prepare the American people for civilian casualties, for possibly our casualties, for gassing, for various chemical weapons against them.
No reference to Bush's response there. But this was before the invasion. Look, this isn't a huge deal. I think it merely shows what we know already: that Bush believed the Iraq war would be a push-over. The president was and is responsible for criminal negligence. And yet some believe he should be given a vote of confidence.
But the one thing I think we can all agree on... Pat Robertson needs to shut the hell up.